Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670272 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439010 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity started by ex-Jews making up lies.
Had Jesus existed at all, he would not have even heard the word Catholic at the time he died on the cross, as at that time, there was no Catholic religion.
When you claim that a Jew would support a religion other than his own, you insinuate that he was a traitor to Judaism ... and that is not a nice way to speak of someone who you claim has admirable traits.
The whole issue is based on lies and nothing but lies.
Well, the whole crucifixion and resurrection thing WAS a predicate to the establishment of Christianity, so, no, neither Catholic nor Christian would have been heard by Jesus at the time of his death.

I have to say, these "profundities" don't make your posts any more salient.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439011 May 9, 2013
CONT
Exodus 20:12

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Read Exodus 20 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Deuteronomy 5:16

"Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Read Deuteronomy 5 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 31:10-30

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Read Proverbs 31 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 1:8-9

Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.

Read Proverbs 1 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 6:20-21

My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.

Read Proverbs 6 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 19:26-27

He who robs his father and drives out his mother is a son who brings shame and disgrace. Stop listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

Read Proverbs 19 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 23:22-24

Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding. The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.

Read Proverbs 23 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

CONT
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439012 May 9, 2013
CONT
Genesis 21:1-3

Now the LORD was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore him.

Read Genesis 21 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Luke 1:5-6

In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

Read Luke 1 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Luke 1:46-48

And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed,

Read Luke 1 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

John 19:25-27

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

Read John 19 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Deuteronomy 4:9-10

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, "Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children."

Read Deuteronomy 4 | View in parallel | Compare Translations

Proverbs 22:6

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
CONT

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439013 May 9, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU WROTE
THAT I HAVE
cherrypicked new verses to "smite" me with.
If the word of God smites you ...THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM...it is said "Truth hurts."
THE CONTINUITY OF THE WORD OF GOD IS AS A FLOWING RIVER...
It is interdependent and connected by The Holy Spirit that wrote it.
it never contradicts itself.
Your interruptions .....by the adding of your assumptions only muddy the water.
Jesus said
Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
You reject His word...you have no life..
Cherrypicking bible verses to smite me, while you rebuke me for accusing you of same.

Brilliant.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#439014 May 9, 2013
Give a fool a bible and the fool will lead the way to more and more foolishness.

Prince George, Canada

#439015 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the whole crucifixion and resurrection thing WAS a predicate to the establishment of Christianity, so, no, neither Catholic nor Christian would have been heard by Jesus at the time of his death.
I have to say, these "profundities" don't make your posts any more salient.
Do you honestly believe that had Jesus lived, he would have advised the Jews to give up on Judaism and start a new religion when his father that sent him favored the Jews?

Do you choose to be that much of a fool?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#439016 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you honestly believe that had Jesus lived, he would have advised the Jews to give up on Judaism and start a new religion when his father that sent him favored the Jews?
It's called the New Covenant June, it replaced the Old Covenant.

Prince George, Canada

#439017 May 9, 2013
Keep in mind that the Catholics were teaching that Jesus (a Jew) was forgiving sins in the confessional, while the Catholics were busy brutalizing, expelling, converting by force, and killing the Jews.

If that makes sense to you ... you really do want to be fools.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

American Theocracy, by Kevin Phillips.

For one thing, Spain's religiosity deepened in the late 1500s after the conversion or expulsion of its Jews
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439018 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian belief holds that Christ's death was part of God's divine plan, so the whole "had Jesus lived" thing is a non-starter in this context.

Prince George, Canada

#439019 May 9, 2013
My guess is, the Catholics and Protestants posting on this thread are very young.

Playing with words in their bibles and pretending they are channeling a god gives them the impression that they are of great value to humanity and will lead the way for others.

It reminds me of this little supposed preacher. Note the music in the background used for special effects.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439020 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Keep in mind that the Catholics were teaching that Jesus (a Jew) was forgiving sins in the confessional, while the Catholics were busy brutalizing, expelling, converting by force, and killing the Jews.
If that makes sense to you ... you really do want to be fools.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
American Theocracy, by Kevin Phillips.
For one thing, Spain's religiosity deepened in the late 1500s after the conversion or expulsion of its Jews
Judaism doesn't "claim" Jesus, so making an argument upon that insistence is rather specious.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/86...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#439021 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....except, apparently, fulfilling His own words in scripture RE: working through men for the absolution of sin, being present in the Eucharist, etc.
Other than those few things, nothing's impossible with God, right?
Huh, Then you don't believe Jesus suffered and died for the absolution of sin?

Prince George, Canada

#439022 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian belief holds that Christ's death was part of God's divine plan, so the whole "had Jesus lived" thing is a non-starter in this context.
Nice dodge.

Okay let's play the game your way.

Do you honestly believe that Jesus would have advised the Jews to give up on Judaism and start a new religion when his father that sent him favored the Jews as his chosen few?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439023 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
And this was and is another group of right-fighters that were certain they saw truth light up in the scriptural words.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
American Theocracy … by Kevin Phillips.
The Mormons in the American West of the 1840s and 1850s likewise immersed themselves in self-proclaimed chosen nationhood. Utah was colonized as New Zion, and July 23, the date of Mormon entry into the promised land, became their principal holiday and their occasion for celebrating their own exodus and triumph.
The conundrum of protestantism, June.
Clay

United States

#439024 May 9, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS Remind me of those that claim exclusive rights to America ...because they say their forefathers come over on the mayflower.
You evangelical pastors remind me of the mayor of Thunder Bay, Canada telling Americans what their constitution means; telling us that Jefferson meant X. The founding fathers misinterpreted Z, it really means X.
You have no authority to dictate anything about the sacred scriptures of the Catholic Church. You been proven in error more times than one can count. Unfortunately for some, ignorance is bliss.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439025 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
My guess is, the Catholics and Protestants posting on this thread are very young.
Playing with words in their bibles and pretending they are channeling a god gives them the impression that they are of great value to humanity and will lead the way for others.
It reminds me of this little supposed preacher. Note the music in the background used for special effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zALqMWimBbMXX
In my case, you guess incorrectly.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439026 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice dodge.
Okay let's play the game your way.
Do you honestly believe that Jesus would have advised the Jews to give up on Judaism and start a new religion when his father that sent him favored the Jews as his chosen few?
Not a dodge at all.

Christ's crucifixion and resurrection are key tenets of Christianity, so discussing Christian belief without those things occurring removes the discussion from that context.

I believe that Jesus could and did do as He willed, given His divine nature.

Recall the whole "messiah" thing, June. The Jews were awaiting the messiah, Christ came, made His teachings and the Jews rejected Him.

The Jews still await the messiah.

Anything else you or I could proffer would be speculating upon what God's will is or was, and I can't speak to that.

Prince George, Canada

#439027 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Judaism doesn't "claim" Jesus, so making an argument upon that insistence is rather specious.
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/86...
Judaism didn't need a savior, as the Jews believed they were already the chosen few.

The ex-Jew Catholics needed to preach of a spiffy new savior to start a new religion.

Christ was the Messiah of the Jews.

Jesus was added on to the word Christ by the Catholics.

The word Jesus and the word Christ both mean "Messiah" Jesus Christ ... equates to Messiah Messiah which is very silly indeed. It's double-dipping on the part of the Catholics.

You'll see the lies ... but only if you choose to see.

Prince George, Canada

#439028 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
In my case, you guess incorrectly.
Maybe so. Some old Catholics are still stuck in the teaching that were planted in their minds as little children, and they choose to stay put in tiny boxes of blatant ignorance, as did all the popes.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439029 May 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Had Jesus existed at all, he would not have even heard the word Catholic at the time he died on the cross, as at that time, there was no Catholic religion.
When you claim that a Jew would support a religion other than his own, you insinuate that he was a traitor to Judaism ... and that is not a nice way to speak of someone who you claim has admirable traits.
The whole issue is based on lies and nothing but lies.

YOU ASSUME TO KNOW THESE MEN ENOUGH TO CALL THEM LAIRS. HMMM
JUNE.
YOU ARE RIGHT HOWEVER ABOUT THE RELIGIOUS ART. JESUS DIDN'T COME PREACHING A RELIGION HIM CAME PREACHING THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
Way are you even talking about something you don't believe in or understand.
Talk about wasting ones time, don't you have anything better to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Brandy trujillo 980,109
Ring Payments 17 min annaleighanne 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 28 min -KENTUCKY- 100,153
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 hr Peter Ross 445,651
Any hot teen girl wanna email me (Mar '12) 8 hr idk 8
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 hr NIST 286,454
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,287
More from around the web