Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,141)

Showing posts 422,801 - 422,820 of532,027
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of all the women you have lusted after in your life, have you confessed the sin to every one of them or do you confess it to the Lord?
Confessing to a friend when we have sinned against them has nothing to do with a priest absolving sins...none8228
Correct. Simply confiding in someone is to no effect. That's why you confess to a priest to receive absolution.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Burning supposed heretics was also perceived as "medicinal" by the hierarchy. It was perceived as cleansing the world of EVIL.
You can use fancy words to your heart's content, but excommunication was a form of the hierarchy forcing others to their to do their own wills.
They were brutes and nothing more.
You're entitled to your opinion, June, as it is just that....opinion and nothing more.
But you just spent several posts claiming that I changed my position and said things I didn't say.*That* you are not entitled to. Since you're now diverting (lol), we can all agree that your original premise was wrong. Excommunications are *not* a thing of the past and women are *not* able to get an abortion and simply participate in a Project Rachel retreat and everything is hunky dory. Thanks for this opportunity to correct you.
Have a nice day!
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. Just don't tell me I have to go to a priest so he can absolve my sins..
Why do you have a problem going directly to God?
Because Scripture tells us to confess to another, and tells us that priests have Christ's authority to absolve us of our sins in His name.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning Regina!!
I asked Tony why Peter wasn't there for Christ when He was dying on the cross for his sins and he said Peter was a jerk. Why do you think Peter wasn't there?
Catholics put Peter on such a high pedestal, I was just wondering your thoughts.
Good morning, Chuck!!!

Oh, is that what he said??
I thought he said *you* were a jerk!!
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We understand it.
He didn't confer His authority unto all-just the Apostles.
So true born again christians all over the world cannot share the gospel and cannot share with folks how they can receive forgiveness and go to Heaven? These in fact are the "keys" Danny.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, Chuck!!!
Oh, is that what he said??
I thought he said *you* were a jerk!!
Well thank you.

So where do you suppose Peter was? Thanks
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So true born again christians all over the world cannot share the gospel and cannot share with folks how they can receive forgiveness and go to Heaven? These in fact are the "keys" Danny.
All Christians can share the gospel and it's message.

All Christians do not have Apostolic authority to forgive sin.

I mean, Christ mentioned this authority specifically; I'm not sure why you're working so frantically to construct a counter-argument to it. He said it-we believe it.

Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well thank you.
So where do you suppose Peter was? Thanks
Of what import was Peter's locale at the time of the Crucifixion?

He wasn't going to take Christ down from the cross.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
you said: Another benefit of confessing to a priest is that one must take a closer look at their sinful nature
all in God's Word:
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
and in sin did my mother conceive me.
21 And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart,“I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth.
**a few of many verses that talks about our sinful nature and you need a priest to help you with this?
Chuck, I already responded about this. Did you miss it or did you just not read it?

Who do you confess your sins to?
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said to confess our sins to each other.
I would rather confess those really ugly ones to a priest who has been given the authority to forgive them and who is sworn to never tell another soul what I confessed. You can choose to confess yours to the check out girl at Walmart.
You can confess your sins all you want to whoever,and if you do not have the grace to live righteously in Christ,those confessions become useless.

I went to confession a lot before I left the RCC,and no priest ever gave me the information I needed to allow the Spirit of Christ to not only forgive,but to also empower me to walk in the truth,and live morally.Most of the priests asked me how many times I did it,and then proceeded to tell me to make an act of contrition.I was a very troubled child,my father and brother mentally abused me,and often beat me,no priest ever gave me hope,nor told me about the saving grace of Christ,or the spiritual benefits of being born again.

Now today most assuredly the evangelical face of many RCs is coming out,and you will find priests who really know how to minister to a soul.Confession is differnt these days I hear.But it is the same church,spirit-baptized priests,and priests who lean toward evangelical practices are numerous in your church these days,so there is hope for the many who need to hear the clear and true gospel of repentance,but also what Christ will do to help you live a purer life.

But when I was in Catholicism,it was by rote,repititious,and very cold,no spiritual advice,but to just go pray rosaries to Mary,make a good act of contrition,be a good Catholic,the LAW<LAW<LAW,no teaching on grace, nothing about the Holy Spirit and why He came to be our comforter,I had to learn all of that with Evangelicals and Charismatics.

Well sufficient unto the day,we learn,and we walk,but the truth is in Christ.I marvel at that Journey Home,how every convert found Christ in their evangelical churches,oh but that is not enough,they need to find Christ in fullness.In a church emmersed in statuary,repititious hail Marys,saying that Christ is present in a round host? Did Jesus not give us bread,and wine,He broke the bread,and gave it to His disciples.He was not even Crucified yet,nor died under its weight,and you claim it is transubstantiation at the Last Supper? Sorry,it was spiritual!

Just like John 6.Really a chapter on the Eucharist? NO, never do the priests discuss the chapter in light of who the audience was,and what Jesus was facing,nor the Levitical aspects of ritual life that all of the audience Jesus held captive that day knew personally of(levitical).

Jesus was prophesing of His own death,of the very fact that without saying it literally,HE was the LAMB of GOD to be slain soon in their midst.The Jews knew about the lamb,they knew about the priests and how they ate the remains of the sacrifice,yet the Catholics believe Jesus was talking about transubstantiation,when He was foretelling of His becoming the very Lamb to the slaughter,and that unless His people EAT of His flesh and drink of His Blood,they would not be saved.

The very fact that He was that L a m b,to the slaughter as it were,for the salvation of Israel and all of humanity, should place what Jesus taught to His audience in John 6 to the circumstances of that time when Jesus was crucified for the sins of humanity.Jesus spoke graphically about His own body,and blood,which was broken and shed for the sins of many.Literally the whole of humanity must partake of His body,but it is a spiritual reality.

The audience in John 6 were all Jews,some disciples,and some members of the Sanhedrin,and the Pharisees.Oh that was a shock to their systems,it seemed as though He was talking about cannabalism,but the truth is He was prophesying.Jesus is a Prophet,Priest and KING! He saw it all before His own eyes,the crucifixion,His body being torn by the brutal scourging,the Lamb of God.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

"He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The word gossip at one time was honored in the minds of believers.
A gossip was a person to whom one would confess private issues to in a church and the gossip was expected to keep the subject private.
Needless to say, the gossip gossiped and the meaning of the word took on that of negativity.
Words are tricky, and who in religion doesn't use scriptural words to benefit their selves while condemning others?
That is why Latin is the language of the Church. Latin is a "dead" language in that meanings of words don't morph over time.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>You can confess your sins all you want to whoever,and if you do not have the grace to live righteously in Christ,those confessions become useless.
I went to confession a lot before I left the RCC,and no priest ever gave me the information I needed to allow the Spirit of Christ to not only forgive,but to also empower me to walk in the truth,and live morally.Most of the priests asked me how many times I did it,and then proceeded to tell me to make an act of contrition.I was a very troubled child,my father and brother mentally abused me,and often beat me,no priest ever gave me hope,nor told me about the saving grace of Christ,or the spiritual benefits of being born again.
Now today most assuredly the evangelical face of many RCs is coming out,and you will find priests who really know how to minister to a soul.Confession is differnt these days I hear.But it is the same church,spirit-baptized priests,and priests who lean toward evangelical practices are numerous in your church these days,so there is hope for the many who need to hear the clear and true gospel of repentance,but also what Christ will do to help you live a purer life.
But when I was in Catholicism,it was by rote,repititious,and very cold,no spiritual advice,but to just go pray rosaries to Mary,make a good act of contrition,be a good Catholic,the LAW<LAW<LAW,no teaching on grace, nothing about the Holy Spirit and why He came to be our comforter,I had to learn all of that with Evangelicals and Charismatics.
Well sufficient unto the day,we learn,and we walk,but the truth is in Christ.I marvel at that Journey Home,how every convert found Christ in their evangelical churches,oh but that is not enough,they need to find Christ in fullness.In a church emmersed in statuary,repititious hail Marys,saying that Christ is present in a round host? Did Jesus not give us bread,and wine,He broke the bread,and gave it to His disciples.He was not even Crucified yet,nor died under its weight,and you claim it is transubstantiation at the Last Supper? Sorry,it was spiritual!
Just like John 6.Really a chapter on the Eucharist? NO, never do the priests discuss the chapter in light of who the audience was,and what Jesus was facing,nor the Levitical aspects of ritual life that all of the audience Jesus held captive that day knew personally of(levitical).
Jesus was prophesing of His own death,of the very fact that without saying it literally,HE was the LAMB of GOD to be slain soon in their midst.The Jews knew about the lamb,they knew about the priests and how they ate the remains of the sacrifice,yet the Catholics believe Jesus was talking about transubstantiation,when He was foretelling of His becoming the very Lamb to the slaughter,and that unless His people EAT of His flesh and drink of His Blood,they would not be saved.
The very fact that He was that L a m b,to the slaughter as it were,for the salvation of Israel and all of humanity, should place what Jesus taught to His audience in John 6 to the circumstances of that time when Jesus was crucified for the sins of humanity.Jesus spoke graphically about His own body,and blood,which was broken and shed for the sins of many.Literally the whole of humanity must partake of His body,but it is a spiritual reality.
The audience in John 6 were all Jews,some disciples,and some members of the Sanhedrin,and the Pharisees.Oh that was a shock to their systems,it seemed as though He was talking about cannabalism,but the truth is He was prophesying.Jesus is a Prophet,Priest and KING! He saw it all before His own eyes,the crucifixion,His body being torn by the brutal scourging,the Lamb of God.
Your inability or unwillingness to make a sincere Act of Contrition somehow vitiates Confession?

I understand that evangelical Protestantism is "all about me", but aren't you taking it a bit far here?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
"He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."
True.

However, even you would agree that we remain sinful.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
All Christians can share the gospel and it's message.
All Christians do not have Apostolic authority to forgive sin.
I mean, Christ mentioned this authority specifically; I'm not sure why you're working so frantically to construct a counter-argument to it. He said it-we believe it.
Why would I be frantically doing anything?? I understnad catholics Danny. You were in the same situation as I. Baptized as an infant...either of us remember that and were taught at a very young age catholic doctrine and no other. How in the world would you change your mind when you've been taught only one doctrine. I feel sorry for you really.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck, I already responded about this. Did you miss it or did you just not read it?
Who do you confess your sins to?
God
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>You can confess your sins all you want to whoever,and if you do not have the grace to live righteously in Christ,those confessions become useless.
An inability or unwillingness on your part to make a sincere Act of Contrition doesn't vitiate Confession.
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in using the word sin as that word indicates sinning against the will of a supposed god.
I am now not in religion, and if I hurt another human, it's my duty to my own conscience to try to right the wrong by an apology and whatever else I must do to show that I am sorry.
I don't go begging forgiveness to any imaginary god. If the god exists, the god has more problems with his own character than I have with mine.
again I am glad that God has big shoulders,so that your final statement can only be answered by HIM.OH ,HE has big problems,but not with His character or Will or Purpose.His big problems are the humans and angels He created that decide He,GOD,should remain aloof from them,and not interfere with their goals and aspirations.

It is really about Love,God is Love,June and you are rejecting it because you feel you know better than He does.Oh He does not exist,therefore I can go on with my itsy,bitsy,teeny,weeny,life,an d do as I want,go where I want,and whatever.

June,more and more you talk yourself into your own little """"ISLAND """"" .

Everyone who rejects the Creator,lives in an island of their own choosing.Madelaine Murray Ohare,may have succeeded in getting prayers kicked out of schools,but she orchestrated a whirl wind of other problems even in the schools she tried to save from the 'evil'God worshipers.Now we have mayhem,disorder,liberal teachers who are even falling prey to their own passions with children,and so much more.The schools are broke,the liberals in our society cannot turn things around,the children are becoming anarchists in the classroom.In my city young female teachers are shocked when boys are not sexually harrassing them.

June you cannot tell me that the Communists and liberal factions in this country are not succeeding in destroying our society,to rebuild a "utopia"for atheism.

God is your last hurdle,the problem is,He will let you succeed,and than He will show you how really much bigger He is than your folly!
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following
Other priests entertain the most vicious of habits. In the beginning of my priesthood, at the time when I dreamt only of holiness and purity, I was called to the death-bed of an old priest above seventy years of age. All the features of death were stamped on his face, he begged me to come hear his bed, and said to me—“M., I want to confess before I die. It is a long time since I received this Sacrament—I require your ministry.”“But Sir,” answered I, quite frightened at the task of disentangling an intricate conscience,“I am very young and inexperienced—my fellow priests would better suit you.” As I spoke, I saw suddenly a gleam in his dying eyes.“You are young,” said he,“it is precisely for that reason I called you. Were you older I would refuse you, for then you not be better than others. God forbid that I should die confessed by them. Be seated, Sir, and let us begin.” I had nothing to answer, and so I listened to him. Among other humans wickedness, he avowed an horrible crime, at which I could not restrain a mark of horror.“Do not shudder,” said he; “you are young, and in the course of your life, if you confess your fellow priests, you will find worse things than these.” But his reflections did not diminish my horror; I remained petrified, scarcely knowing what he said. He was obliged to recall to the formula of absolution, that I might give it to him. The crime, the circumstances, his old age, his distorted features, his death made an impression upon me which I have never been able to erase from my memory. I knew particularly another middle-aged priest on his death-bed, being waited on by a servant, tried to corrupt him!
Why does the author of this book not reveal his name?

A quick scan of the editor's preface is enough to realize this is just a collection of hateful, politically motivated anti-catholic diatribes that would make Jack Chick drool.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

who="chuck"
So other christians can pray for you...praying for you, not forgiving your sins.

Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The 'forgiver' takes the loss himself. If another than the wounded one 'forgives' the offender, he takes it on himself to be responsible for the loss.

KM

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 422,801 - 422,820 of532,027
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

348 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 min shyam 4,364
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min It aint necessarily so 719,588
selena coleman (Aug '12) 13 min Thor 4
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 16 min magi 385
Miracles Jesus Performed 20 min andet1987 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 23 min MUQ1 256,262
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 42 min Petesaykeik 114,917
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 93,603
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr The Awakener 172,129