Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665354 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#438828 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
gotta go,may be back or i'll see you in the morning.have a good night people
Thanks for the warning.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438829 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Waiting for the link June.
The opinions were mine, I am your link.

Prince George, Canada

#438830 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascinating, but the subject being discussed was auricular confession itself, not whether it was private or not.
During the seventh century Irish missionaries, inspired by the Eastern monastic tradition, took to continental Europe the ‘private’ practice of penance,

Prince George, Canada

#438831 May 8, 2013
Private or auricular confession is also practiced by Anglicans and is especially common among Anglo-Catholics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession_ (religion)
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#438832 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
You misunderstand.
The priest absolves the sinner in Christ's name, not his own.
WRONG. He says, "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis" No mention of Christ here.
This means "I absolve you from your sin".

This is a power of the priest.

“To pardon a single sin requires all the omnipotence of God.... The Jews justly said:‘Who can forgive sins but God alone?’

But what only GOD can do by His omnipotence, the PRIEST can ALSO do by saying ‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’[I absolve you from your sin].”— Alphonsus de Liguori, Dignity and Duties of the Priest, pages 34-35.

Prince George, Canada

#438833 May 8, 2013
I suggest you ask any rabbi anywhere on earth, and he will tell you that the likelihood of a Jew wanting you to go to a Catholic priest for anything concerning religion is nil.

So why Catholics or Protestants would believe that a Jew named Jesus is at their "disposal" is a mystery to me.

Even when I was under the spell of religion, that doctrine never made sense to me. Now I understand why.

It doesn't make any sense ... period!
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#438834 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes greed-guts ... I understand as do all others ... you favor your own.
Greedy guts, LOL wow name calling to boot, how low can you go June.

I don't even belong to a religious denomination. I just have faith in God not man.
I don't follow man made doctrines or traditions.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#438835 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I suggest you ask any rabbi anywhere on earth, and he will tell you that the likelihood of a Jew wanting you to go to a Catholic priest for anything concerning religion is nil.
So why Catholics or Protestants would believe that a Jew named Jesus is at their "disposal" is a mystery to me.
Even when I was under the spell of religion, that doctrine never made sense to me. Now I understand why.
so someone cast a spell on you and drew you into their religion, that explains a lot.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438836 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Private or auricular confession is also practiced by Anglicans and is especially common among Anglo-Catholics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession_ (religion)
Yes-they co-opted that.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438837 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If a rabbi or any Jew wanted to know something about the Christian faith, they would indeed seek out a Catholic priest.

To feign astonishment that they don't adhere to Christian beliefs is more than a bit sophomoric.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#438838 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you stop using the fictional Jesus as your disinfectant.
I suggest you don't make claims to the fact that Marge's Jesus is fictional, you can't really truly say that.
Just because you don't believe in Jesus.
No one is trying to force you into believe in Jesus, we couldn't even if we wanted to.
I believe you are trying to get people to think your way.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438839 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
“To pardon a single sin requires all the omnipotence of God.... The Jews justly said:‘Who can forgive sins but God alone?’
But what only GOD can do by His omnipotence, the PRIEST can ALSO do by saying ‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’[I absolve you from your sin].”— Alphonsus de Liguori, Dignity and Duties of the Priest, pages 34-35.
Priests act in persona christi here. Their authority is understood from scripture.

Here's the full prayer of absolution:

“God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; Through the ministry of the church, may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

So, no problem here.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#438840 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
They haven't said "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis" nor anything else in Latin for years and years.

Nice "google", though.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438841 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
During the seventh century Irish missionaries, inspired by the Eastern monastic tradition, took to continental Europe the ‘private’ practice of penance,
You've mentioned that previously.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438842 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The opinions were mine, I am your link.
Are we to understand that your "innocent victim in jail because priest didn't tell who the murderer was" story is just an opinion? That we should see the connection with the lawyer story and which proves how corrupt the priesthood is?

My goodness, you are really out there.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438843 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and something that he insists (still) isn't in scripture.
He's the energizer bunny...takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438844 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we to understand that your "innocent victim in jail because priest didn't tell who the murderer was" story is just an opinion? That we should see the connection with the lawyer story and which proves how corrupt the priesthood is?
My goodness, you are really out there.
Citation is a messy detail that June seems to studiously avoid. When pressed, she'll take a cursory glance at Wikipedia, but that's about all you'll get.

She is enamored with the sound of her own voice and will post ad nauseum in a desperate attempt at relevance to a thread.

When pressed on a particular, she'll drop whatever subject she raised instantaneously.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438845 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
He's the energizer bunny...takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Singing from the June hymnal-"I think what I think, and don't pester me for details or substance".
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438846 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Citation is a messy detail that June seems to studiously avoid. When pressed, she'll take a cursory glance at Wikipedia, but that's about all you'll get.
She is enamored with the sound of her own voice and will post ad nauseum in a desperate attempt at relevance to a thread.
When pressed on a particular, she'll drop whatever subject she raised instantaneously.
I guess if you're batting .269 you're doing ok.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#438847 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstand.
The priest absolves the sinner in Christ's name, not his own.
Funny he never mentions him. Is that by default?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Joe Fortuna 88,183
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min New Age Spiritual... 977,344
I still LOVE YOU SO MUCH, Ewa, Honey 43 min Doctor REALITY 5
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 1 hr Buck Crick 575
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 184,737
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 1 hr Buck Crick 150
How come God doesn't intervene in suicides? 1 hr Knock off purse s... 12
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr OneMale OneChild 284,570
More from around the web