Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 703738 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#438651 May 8, 2013
Silly pagans with all their gods and magic books and incantations.

When they can make even a light bulb turn on with prayers alone I'll believe it is more than a bunch of BS.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438652 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Words all morph in the minds of believers to suit personalized desires.
That's why you kiddies don't agree on the meanings of the same scriptures. You only see it your own way ... and no other way. And then you preach to anyone and everyone that you know the one and only truth.
Latin words do not morph. That's why it is the official language of the Church which, like Noah's Ark, keeps everyone on board and safe from the storm.
Protestants have all jumped overboard into each their own little life boats heading in a myriad of different directions.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438653 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
So...you're finding fault with me for believing in Catholic teaching? I'm nearly 50 and an educated man; I've had ample opportunity for introspection concerning this and have arrived at my current beliefs of my own free will.
I know what I believe and I know why I believe it and why the Church teaches what she teaches.
All I'm saying is your current beliefs are influenced ALOT because of what your were taught. From a young age, through your teen years. You cannot deny this.

Why do catholics assume that just because the catholic church was first, they got it right?

I won't change your mind Danny. You're like some of my family members...you have been indoctrinated since birth and your mind won't allow you to consider maybe the catholic church is wrong.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438655 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
All I'm saying is your current beliefs are influenced ALOT because of what your were taught. From a young age, through your teen years. You cannot deny this.
Why do catholics assume that just because the catholic church was first, they got it right?
I won't change your mind Danny. You're like some of my family members...you have been indoctrinated since birth and your mind won't allow you to consider maybe the catholic church is wrong.
I'm not denying it.

Catholics think that the Church is "right" not because they were "first", but that it was the Church Christ established. We don't attribute errors to Christ. Protestantism requires the attribution of error to Christ, else it wouldn't exist.

Pad

Fishers, IN

#438656 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The first Christians had a much differnt take on John 6 than you.
That statement is glib Tony. I read some books on the church fathers,and much of transubstantiation comes later,long after the death of the Apostles.The Eucharist as you see it. Spiritual life is what the believers majored in the past,they saw everything through spiritual activity from God,and His Spirit.

The fact that the Bread and Wine represents the Body and Blood of Christ in Communion is no problem,it is the spiritual nature of the whole matter that causes us to consider deeply the crucifixion of our Lord.Anthony you can base it all on a host,which by the way was not the case between Jesus and His disciples.He broke bread,and distrubuted it to the Apostles.

The wine represents His blood,I hardly think Anthony that when your priests drink the whole cup of wine and water or whatever else is mixed into the chalice, that was Jesus' plan for His blood applied to us all. I remember the host not to be moist but quite dry,so how is it the blood also?

Just because former priests and fathers of the church reverenced the body and blood of Christ in their books and writings,does, not mean they had the fullness of what was meant for the whole body of Christ.They were subject to the church they served,and much can be said to the devotion people have for any given organization they find themselves in,and serve as leaders,Bishops and priests thereof.There was debate over many issues in those days,just because one group may have won out as it were,does not mean it is sound dogma.

How did your statues which met with not only debate but actual violence at times win out? Think about it! There is great controversy over many things that we see in the established churches today,but we live with them,yet at the same time we know that the Apostles had nothing to do with them.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438657 May 8, 2013
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST

It would be difficult for persons, strangers to the confession, to conceive to what degree a confessor is master of the imagination of women. He turns them at his will completely, with his idea—that he is the Viceregent of God, a divine oracle, that he holds the keys of heaven and hell in his hand, with a perpetual fear of purgatory, hell, &C. which he keeps faithfully before their eyes. And let it not be forgotten, that the minds of women are naturally confiding, and one will know that they are, in the hands of a cunning confessor, a docile instrument. It is not, then astonishing that so many innocent girls are the victims of those wolves which devour unmercifully their prey, and commit with impurity crimes under the cover of this ministry in the name of religion.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438658 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Latin words do not morph.
All words morph to the expectations of believers.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438659 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not denying it.
Catholics think that the Church is "right" not because they were "first", but that it was the Church Christ established. We don't attribute errors to Christ. Protestantism requires the attribution of error to Christ, else it wouldn't exist.
Again Dan...the majority of catholics believe the catholic church was the church Christ established because that's what they were taught from a young age.

I'll give you an example. My dad is the most faithful catholic I have ever met. Church everyday, eucharistic minister, etc...etc. When I discuss scripture and question catholic doctrine with him, he can't defend. All he knows is the catholic church is the true church...there is no other. So why does he believe this? Because it's all he has ever been taught and I know many many catholics in the same boat.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438660 May 8, 2013
For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son,
who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438661 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Latin words do not morph.
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

For a considerable period in Latin transcriptions there were no gaps between words either, if you can credit such madness. Texts from that benighted classical period- just capital letters in big square blocks- look to modern eyes like those word-search puzzles that you stare at for twenty minutes or so, and then (with a delighted cry) suddenly spot the word “PAPERNAPKIN” spelled diagonally and backwards.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438662 May 8, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>That statement is glib Tony. I read some books on the church fathers,and much of transubstantiation comes later,long after the death of the Apostles.The Eucharist as you see it. Spiritual life is what the believers majored in the past,they saw everything through spiritual activity from God,and His Spirit.
The fact that the Bread and Wine represents the Body and Blood of Christ in Communion is no problem,it is the spiritual nature of the whole matter that causes us to consider deeply the crucifixion of our Lord.Anthony you can base it all on a host,which by the way was not the case between Jesus and His disciples.He broke bread,and distrubuted it to the Apostles.
The wine represents His blood,I hardly think Anthony that when your priests drink the whole cup of wine and water or whatever else is mixed into the chalice, that was Jesus' plan for His blood applied to us all. I remember the host not to be moist but quite dry,so how is it the blood also?
Just because former priests and fathers of the church reverenced the body and blood of Christ in their books and writings,does, not mean they had the fullness of what was meant for the whole body of Christ.They were subject to the church they served,and much can be said to the devotion people have for any given organization they find themselves in,and serve as leaders,Bishops and priests thereof.There was debate over many issues in those days,just because one group may have won out as it were,does not mean it is sound dogma.
How did your statues which met with not only debate but actual violence at times win out? Think about it! There is great controversy over many things that we see in the established churches today,but we live with them,yet at the same time we know that the Apostles had nothing to do with them.
" I read some books on the church fathers,and much of transubstantiation comes later,long after the death of the Apostles.The Eucharist as you see it. "

Sorry, PAD-equally glib, and incorrect.

The Eucharist is what Christ says it is, not what I say it is.

The word "transubstantiation" comes along later, but Christendom believed in the Real Presence until the Reformation.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438663 May 8, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Silly pagans with all their gods and magic books and incantations.
When they can make even a light bulb turn on with prayers alone I'll believe it is more than a bunch of BS.
Is your own religious belief B.S?

To be fair, I first had to see my own religious belief as B.S. and then the playing field suddenly became on the level.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438664 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you keep in mind that my father was raised by strict Catholic parents. The final straw for him leaving the church was when a priest informed him that those who were not of the Catholic faith would burn in hell.
Lol, June, there's no need to get spiteful just because you were proven wrong.

:)
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438665 May 8, 2013
"Brothers, listen! We are here to proclaim that through this man Jesus there is forgiveness for your sins.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438666 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness
You are eager and willing to perceive that Muslims and others are in darkness and precious beloved YOU is in the light.

Silly people!
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438667 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again Dan...the majority of catholics believe the catholic church was the church Christ established because that's what they were taught from a young age.
I'll give you an example. My dad is the most faithful catholic I have ever met. Church everyday, eucharistic minister, etc...etc. When I discuss scripture and question catholic doctrine with him, he can't defend. All he knows is the catholic church is the true church...there is no other. So why does he believe this? Because it's all he has ever been taught and I know many many catholics in the same boat.
Have you ever looked into early Christian history? Read any of the Church Fathers?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438668 May 8, 2013
God is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438669 May 8, 2013
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST

Besides these immoralities, confession has another great danger for young girls, namely, that they believe themselves obliged to consult their confessor upon every matter, and matrimony above all; which he permits, counsels, or forbids, according to his views, interests, or passions. It is needless to say that when she is a mistress of his own, he prevents her from marrying as much as possible.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438670 May 8, 2013
He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438671 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point on this line, chuck?

My whole life, people have told me the sky is blue. I checked for myself one day, and sure enough, it IS blue.

The Catholic Church claims that it is the Church Christ established in Scripture. I checked it out, and they're right. No other Church even attempts to deny it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Florida Sunshine 88,247
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 26 min Redeemed Jersey P... 996,513
Here's What's Really Behind NFL Players Taking ... (Nov '17) 58 min Flax Dung Su Yah 29
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 1 hr Grunt56 223,080
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,549
mgtow 4 hr Lucifer 13
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr ChromiuMan 6,922