Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589258 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438335 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think so...sinners how authority to forgive sin...interesting.
Where does Jesus mention confession of sins in this text: "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
Was Jesus speaking to people who could read minds?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438336 May 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Apostles Creed, as it's named, always had the reference to hell.
I just showed you.
You also just told me the article came from one of the Apostles.
Make up your mind, please, as to what argument you're promulgating.
And I just showed you otherwise.

Being a died in the wool Catholic, you refuse data other than what you have been indoctrinated by your Catholic theologians to believe is the absolute truth.

They succeeded in their quest to brainwash you, and you obeyed the wills of those men.

Prince George, Canada

#438337 May 7, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I know it happens everywhere,but this is a catholic forum,so that's what i post about,if it were about a different institution i'd be posting about that one also.i'm not singling out the church purposely,but only because this forum is about the church.
If you are singling out Catholics as the only deceivers, you are not being fair.

All theologians were and are deceivers. They insinuate that their fantasies are based on truth.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438338 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Say again???

Prince George, Canada

#438339 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, June, this post is complete nonsense. Did you put your brain in a blender?
:)
If Jews can't attain heaven without becoming Christian ... Jesus will be blocked from entry.

That is your own silly theology coming back to bite you in the butt.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438340 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perspective, the better question would BE ... "Why did theologians write all the conflicting data about what supposed gods commanded?"
You'll have to give me a "for instance" since your question is not very clear.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438341 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

**Even Peter gets it...why can't catholics?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438342 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does Jesus mention confession of sins in this text: "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
You start with the false premise that Jesus couldn't/wouldn't give His authority to forgive sins to men (and all men are sinners), then you have to work your way back by contradicting His clear and unmistakable words and commission. That's the story of protestantism, when you seperate yourselves from the Church you have to invent ways to show the Church isn't necessary. It's a sorry story.

Prince George, Canada

#438343 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to give me a "for instance" since your question is not very clear.
The context of my post IS the "for instance."

If you ask yourself why you don't believe that a Muslim theologian received messages from the sky ... then you will know why I don't believe that any theologians ... including your favorites didn't receive any messages from the sky.

Fair is fair ... is it not???

I don't choose one religion over another. That is why I left my own religious beliefs. I didn't like how I was playing favorites with dogmas that I finally caught on were all created by one theologian or another.

Religion is all based on human ego ... the countless human-created deities in supposed orbit bespeaks of nothing but human arrogance.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438344 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Say again???
You said:

And I asked: was Jesus speaking to a group of mind readers?

How could Jesus expect them to forgive sins if they weren't told what those sins were unless the apostles could read minds?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438345 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
**Even Peter gets it...why can't catholics?
We do get it. Our sins are forgiven through His name. Never went to confession did you chuck?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#438346 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
"Is one of you sick? Let him send for the presbyters of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name. Prayer offered in faith will restore the sick man, and the Lord will give him relief; if he is guilty of sins, they will be pardoned."
"Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, for the healing of your souls."
You are really improving on skirting questions!!!! You are beginning to show class!!!!
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438347 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jews can't attain heaven without becoming Christian ... Jesus will be blocked from entry.
That is your own silly theology coming back to bite you in the butt.
If you want to object to "theology" with me, please stick to Catholic theology which has as it's foundation that Jesus is God.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#438348 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Why are you confessing your sins to me if this verse is meant to confess only to God?
No Kay, we are to confess our sins to one another and to God. He does forgive us, but as St. James says it's not strictly a private confession to God alone.
And you obviously don't know anything about the Sacrament of Confession. If I were to steal from someone, part of my absolution and penance would involve returning the money and asking forgiveness of the offended person. A person who confesses with no sincerity and intention of reparation is not going to have their sin forgiven.

The Bible tells us to confess our sins to each other and pray for one another (so) that we might be healed. Alcoholics Anonymous used that principle because it involves admission/confession, or 'owning up' to one's failures, without which one cannot overcome them.

If you offend me, and I forgive you, "what we seal on earth is sealed in heaven". Just after teaching His disciples what we call the Lord's prayer, Jesus said, "For if you WILL NOT forgive, My heavenly Father WILL NOT forgive YOU. Fore (before) give (gift) ness (condition) means to pay (give up) the debt (their sin) before it goes before the Judge. No one but the wounded individual can do that.

I heard someone speaking yesterday of a case where a man's sins were 'absolved' after he died. No man can do that. Absolution sounds pretty, but only God knows the heart.

KayMarie
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438349 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We do get it. Our sins are forgiven through His name. Never went to confession did you chuck?
So why go to a priest?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438350 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You start with the false premise that Jesus couldn't/wouldn't give His authority to forgive sins to men (and all men are sinners), then you have to work your way back by contradicting His clear and unmistakable words and commission. That's the story of protestantism, when you seperate yourselves from the Church you have to invent ways to show the Church isn't necessary. It's a sorry story.
where does Jesus mention confession?

23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#438351 May 7, 2013
who="Pad" AND if God talks to me June,and not to you,it is by your choice,not mine.You call me a silly fool for believing that God in fact does speak to me at times? I would be concerned big time if I were you,IF in FACT there is a God,a Supreme Bieng, a Creator,and you do not want to talk to Him and find out

God talks to everybody. Some people listen. Others argue, or dull their senses with alcohol/drugs or other such 'pleasures'.

KayMarie
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438352 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The context of my post IS the "for instance."
If you ask yourself why you don't believe that a Muslim theologian received messages from the sky ... then you will know why I don't believe that any theologians ... including your favorites didn't receive any messages from the sky.
Fair is fair ... is it not???
I don't choose one religion over another. That is why I left my own religious beliefs. I didn't like how I was playing favorites with dogmas that I finally caught on were all created by one theologian or another.
Religion is all based on human ego ... the countless human-created deities in supposed orbit bespeaks of nothing but human arrogance.
Actually, I do believe that a Muslim theologian received messages. But I'm not sure about "from the sky" part.

My opinion is that religion is all based on the built in human need to connect with the Creator and have a relationship with Him the way He designed us.
All the world's religions spring from this. Some groups coming closer than others to having a relationship with Creator as He designed. Key phrase: "as He designed"
The exception is atheism, perhaps, which is in fact a religion.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438353 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So Jesus gave authority to sinners so they can forgive sins....that's a tough one Tony.

I never said He couldn't give the authority but why would He. It's like trying to convince folks that Jesus gave authority to Peter...you know, the same Peter who abanded Christ when He was dying on a cross for his sins.

tough one Tony.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438354 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I did as a catholic. Then I started reading scripture and because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, I can bypass the catholic priest and go right to God.

I am apart of the priesthood so why would I go to a priest?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min waaasssuuup 836,888
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 4,049
Mark Fuhrman PLANTED the glove @ Simpson's estate 13 min Doctor REALITY 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min Porkpie Hat 271,244
Would a Somali girl marry a non-Somali man in L... (Dec '13) 17 min LMH1983 44
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 32 min MUQ2 412
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 38 min Naveen kumar 1,426
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 49 min Freebird USA 176,745
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 3 hr Naveen kumar 7,154
More from around the web