Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675953 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438442 May 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Anthony MN wrote:
Did Jesus give them the power of telepathy?
I guess St. James should've checked with you before telling us to confess to one another.
The question was not whether we should confess to one another. It was about having to confess to a priest.
KayMarie
Christ gave the authority to bind and loose, and to forgive or retain sins to His church/Apostles. They in turn passed on this authority via the laying on of hands/the Sacrament of Ordination/Apostolic Succession. Hence, confession to a priest.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438443 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that hell was not mentioned in the first edition of the Apostles creed (written by Catholics)... and that by the fourth century new ever-changing theologians had plenty of time to come up with the dogma of hell and write of hell again and again and again in their book that was compiled by one deception after another.
By the way, why did the Catholic theologians use the term holy on the "cover" of their new book, when they taught that most of the people in the world were evil?
Did they want people to believe that the only way to find holiness was in the cult of Catholicism?
If you ask question of the dogmas, you'll see that there are loop-holes everywhere that the theologian trod.
The reference to Hell was always a part of what has been called the Apostles Creed (c. 600-700 AD)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438444 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Well Kay, I hope it's your infirmities causing you to now misrepresent what you wrote; Here is your post without parentheses:
KayMarie:
Neither.
I mean that I do not willfully sin. I live a moral life. I want to be like Him, and to be pleasing to Him. If I...or anyone else should do otherwise, they do not know Him.
However, we are flesh, and behave in sinful ways at times. Pouty, angry, vengeful reactions are not good. But John says that, "If we confess our sins TO HIM, He is faithful and just to FORGIVE US our sin, AND to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness."
Serious question; Do protestants always add "HIM" to this verse in order to avoid the other biblical verse telling us to confess to one another?
Anthony, it amazes me that anyone professing to be 'Christian' would stoop to infer that anyone is suffering BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T AGREE with them.
So, I only thought I used parenthesis...but my capital letters indicate that that was my intent.
I did not say that we were not to confess our sins TO ONE ANOTHER, the Bible plainly calls for it. It does not say that we are to confess to someone who is considered to be on a plain higher than we are...especially when that one may have just molested a child. What authority could they possibly have over anyone?
KayMarie
What a hypocrite. Your husband calls us pagan idol worshippers every day because we don't agree with him.

The Christian would hope and assume, as I did, that it was your infirmities and not an intention to deceive. I was wrong. You used capital letters in other parts of the quoted verse, so that can't be a truthful explanation.

Now Kay, since we are, EVERYONE OF US, sinners, and Jesus knows this, why would He tell His disciples to instruct us to do so?

I'll ignore your snide and unChristian comment about priests.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#438445 May 7, 2013
FAITH IN GOD IS NOT GENERATED/COMETH NOT BY THE TEACHING OR CATECHISM DOGMA OR SUPERSTITIONS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. WHICH DESTROYS THE SIMPLICITY OF GOD'S WORD AND ADDS IT'S OWN

Romans 10:17

(DRB) Faith then cometh by hearing; and hearing by the word of Christ.

(Geneva) Then faith is by hearing, and hearing by the worde of God.

(KJV) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

(Vulgate) ergo fides ex auditu auditus autem per verbum Christi
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438446 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
WHY DO YOU LIE ON GOD...
James 5:16
(DRB) Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.
(Geneva) Acknowledge your faultes one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed: for the prayer of a righteous man auaileth much, if it be feruent.
(KJV) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
(KJV+) ConfessG1843 your faultsG3900 one to another,G240 andG2532 prayG2172 one for another,G240 G5228 thatG3704 ye may be healed.G2390 The effectual ferventG1754 prayerG1162 of a righteous manG1342 availethG2480 much.G4183
(Vulgate) confitemini ergo alterutrum peccata vestra et orate pro invicem ut salvemini multum enim valet deprecatio iusti adsidua
THERE IS NO PLACE HERE WHERE IT SAY THAT WE HAVE TO CONFESS OUR SINS/FAULTS TO A PRIEST..
IT SAYS 'one to another."
the position of priest went out.... when GRACE WAS ESTABLISHED...
WE DO NOT OPERATE UNDER THE LAWS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH NOR DO WE BOW TO IT'S CONTINUATION OF THE NEW LAWS THEY HAVE SET UP...
GOD DID NOT REPLACE THE LAW'S OF MOSES WITH THE LAWS OF A MONOPO;IZING RELIGIOUS SYSTEM IN ROME...
HE ESTABLISHED GRACE...GOD'S UNMERITATED FAVOR THAT HE GRANTED TO US WHEN HE
===>Isaiah 53:6
(DRB) All we like sheep have gone astray, every one hath turned aside into his own way: and
==>the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.<===
(Geneva) All we like sheepe haue gone astraye: wee haue turned euery one to his owne way, and
===>the Lord hath layed vpon him the iniquitie of vs all. <===
(KJV) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and
===> the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. <===
READ THE TRUTH AGAIN AGAIN...
Isaiah 53:6
(DRB) All we like sheep have gone astray, every one hath turned aside into his own way: and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(Geneva) All we like sheepe haue gone astraye: wee haue turned euery one to his owne way, and the Lord hath layed vpon him the iniquitie of vs all.
(KJV) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(Vulgate) omnes nos quasi oves erravimus unusquisque in viam suam declinavit et Dominus posuit in eo iniquitatem omnium nostrum
Your wife added to scripture. Take it up with her.

Time for your Metamucil.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438447 May 7, 2013
FAITH IN GOD IS NOT GENERATED/COMETH NOT BY THE TEACHING OR CATECHISM DOGMA OR SUPERSTITIONS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. WHICH DESTROYS THE SIMPLICITY OF GOD'S WORD AND ADDS IT'S OWN
Romans 10:17
(DRB) Faith then cometh by hearing; and hearing by the word of Christ.
(Geneva) Then faith is by hearing, and hearing by the worde of God.
(KJV) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
(Vulgate) ergo fides ex auditu auditus autem per verbum Christi
Faith doesn't come by listening to you.

#438448 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What a hypocrite. Your husband calls us pagan idol worshippers every day because we don't agree with him.
The Christian would hope and assume, as I did, that it was your infirmities and not an intention to deceive. I was wrong. You used capital letters in other parts of the quoted verse, so that can't be a truthful explanation.
Now Kay, since we are, EVERYONE OF US, sinners, and Jesus knows this, why would He tell His disciples to instruct us to do so?
YOU WROTE

Your husband calls us pagan idol worshippers every day because we don't agree with him.

YOUR PROBLEM IS ...YOUR ACTIONS AND TEACHINGS DO NOT AGREE WITH GOD'S WORD...

Pro_14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

YOU HAVE TURNED TO FABLES AND YOUR OWN INVENTIONS...and you are deceived and deceiving others.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

(DRB) For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers having itching ears:

And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables.

(Geneva) For the time will come, when they will not suffer wholesome doctrine: but hauing their eares itching, shal after their owne lustes get them an heape of teachers,

And shall turne their eares from the trueth, and shalbe giuen vnto fables.

(KJV) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

(Vulgate) erit enim tempus cum sanam doctrinam non sustinebunt sed ad sua desideria coacervabunt sibi magistros prurientes auribus

et a veritate quidem auditum avertent ad fabulas autem convertentur

(KJV) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

(

(Vulgate) et a veritate quidem auditum avertent ad fabulas autem convertentur

Pro_16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438449 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
YOU WROTE
Your husband calls us pagan idol worshippers every day because we don't agree with him.
YOUR PROBLEM IS ...YOUR ACTIONS AND TEACHINGS DO NOT AGREE WITH GOD'S WORD...
Pro_14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
YOU HAVE TURNED TO FABLES AND YOUR OWN INVENTIONS...and you are deceived and deceiving others.
2 Timothy 4:3-4
(DRB) For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers having itching ears:
And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables.
(Geneva) For the time will come, when they will not suffer wholesome doctrine: but hauing their eares itching, shal after their owne lustes get them an heape of teachers,
And shall turne their eares from the trueth, and shalbe giuen vnto fables.
(KJV) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
(Vulgate) erit enim tempus cum sanam doctrinam non sustinebunt sed ad sua desideria coacervabunt sibi magistros prurientes auribus
et a veritate quidem auditum avertent ad fabulas autem convertentur
(KJV) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
(
(Vulgate) et a veritate quidem auditum avertent ad fabulas autem convertentur
Pro_16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
You are not an authority on God's Word, you do not have the authority to teach God's Word and Kay's adding to scripture (I assume you try to teach her) is just another reason why no Christian should listen to you.

#438450 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"

You can take that up with my husband.

I have not made snide comments about priests. I did say that, even if the confessional were correct, a child molester would have no business in it.

As for snide comments, you just declared that I intended to deceive. Do you read minds? LOL I know the answer to that one, because you missed that nail by a long shot.

I think I will just add you to my long list of posters on here that I just scroll on past, and do not read their comments.

KayMarie

#438451 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not an authority on God's Word, you do not have the authority to teach God's Word and Kay's adding to scripture (I assume you try to teach her) is just another reason why no Christian should listen to you.
Real Christians listen...and adhere to God's word

Wannabe's such as your self create your own, and attempt to manipulate

God, and make his word conform to theirs.

#438452 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~

When you obey God's word.... you return it back to Him through your obedience.

Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:

===>it shall not return unto me void, <===

but it shall accomplish that which I please, and

it shall prosper in the thing

whereto I sent it.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438453 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
You can take that up with my husband.
I have not made snide comments about priests. I did say that, even if the confessional were correct, a child molester would have no business in it.
As for snide comments, you just declared that I intended to deceive. Do you read minds? LOL I know the answer to that one, because you missed that nail by a long shot.
I think I will just add you to my long list of posters on here that I just scroll on past, and do not read their comments.
KayMarie
That's fine Kay. I wasn't addressing you to begin with, you were commenting on one of my posts. Just know that I will, as always, keep you honest.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438454 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Again, you have no authority to teach or preach God's Word. I've told you before, it's better if you just paste scripture passages and leave the commentary to those in authority.

#438455 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
When you obey God's word.... you return it back to Him through your obedience.
Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:
===>it shall not return unto me void, <===
but it shall accomplish that which I please, and
it shall prosper in the thing
whereto I sent it.
Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

The power of your life and death is in what you speak...forth..

Proverbs 18:21

(DRB) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: they that love it, shall eat the fruits thereof.

(Geneva) Death & life are in the power of ye tongue, and they that loue it, shal eate the fruite thereof.

(KJV) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

(Vulgate) mors et vita in manu linguae qui diligunt eam comedent fructus eius

~~~

You Roman Catholics speak death to all those that love God's word enough to attempt to live by it....

You claim to have canonized it ...then you turn and thumb you noses at it...and castigate those that attempt to heed it.

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Location hidden

#438456 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Kay say confess to God alone. We no need no stinkin' priest.
Jesus says "If you forgive sins they are forgiven, if you retain them they are retained". Obviously they need to know the sin in order to forgive them.
St. James says "confess your sins to one another."
I guess you two know better. Good luck.
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

This in no way teaches that a person has the power to forgive sins!!! We confess to God only, asking forgiveness in the name of our Saviour Jesus Christ...period.

Sins are not "healed"......they are forgiven by God and He alone...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438457 May 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
This in no way teaches that a person has the power to forgive sins!!! We confess to God only, asking forgiveness in the name of our Saviour Jesus Christ...period.
Sins are not "healed"......they are forgiven by God and He alone...
I guess you don't believe the bible, or your KJV, or Jesus's own words. Not the first time....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438458 May 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
The power of your life and death is in what you speak...forth..
Proverbs 18:21
(DRB) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: they that love it, shall eat the fruits thereof.
(Geneva) Death & life are in the power of ye tongue, and they that loue it, shal eate the fruite thereof.
(KJV) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
(Vulgate) mors et vita in manu linguae qui diligunt eam comedent fructus eius
~~~
You Roman Catholics speak death to all those that love God's word enough to attempt to live by it....
You claim to have canonized it ...then you turn and thumb you noses at it...and castigate those that attempt to heed it.
Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
If only you loved God's Word, instead your love your own words.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#438459 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
No, issue was you inserting "HIM" into 1 John 1:9. Adding to scripture is a no-no Kay.
I used (Him) in parenthesis to clarify who was doing the forgiving and cleansing.
You inferred that a priest had to be involved, which was truly adding to the Word.
KayMarie
Jesus gave authority to his first Pope/Apostles/Priests

Jesus said…..
"Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you... Receive ye the Holy

Spirit. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall

retain, they are retained." (John 20:21-23). Then again: "Amen I say to you, whatsoever

you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose

upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 18:18). In other words, Catholics

confess their sins to priests because priests are God's duly authorized agents in the world,

representing Him in all matters pertaining to the ways and means of attaining eternal

salvation. When Catholics confess their sins to a priest they ARE, in reality, confessing

their sins to God, for God hears their confessions and it is He who, in the final analysis,

does the forgiving. If their confessions are not sincere, their sins are not forgiven.

Location hidden

#438460 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So? I can't find "confess to God only" anywhere in the bible.
Your two main objections are;
"men" can't forgive sins because they're sinners. You're wrong according to Jesus.
Confess to God, not to men. You're wrong according to Jesus's disciple John.
Try another angle, I know you're good at that.
"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors". To whom, One of Great Wisdom" are these words, given to us by Christ, directed to???? The Pink Rabbit??? Your next door neighbor?????

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#438461 May 7, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
ten centuries of 'good experiences' with celebacy? Are you kidding me???

Isn't it almost exclusively the celebrate priests or did all the abuse???
No its not marge.

Lets not forget that married dads are more likely to abuse their very own kids.
Lets not forget that married pastors have a higher rate of abuse then Catholic priests.
According to the insurance companies that insure churches.

“Many people assume that not only priests but also teachers, Boy Scout leaders and other adults who work with kids are responsible for most child sexual abuse, but that's a misconception. Half of child sexual abusers are the parents of the victims; other relatives commit 18% of the offenses. And the sad truth is that preventing incest is nearly impossible. Less than one-third of perpetrators know their victims from outside the home. But non-family abusers may be easier to pick out--many are adults who shower uncommon attention on children--and thus easier to stop.”

“My research of cases over the past 20 years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination -- or indeed, than non-clergy. However determined news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported.

Literally every denomination and faith tradition has its share of abuse cases, and some of the worst involve non-Catholics. Every mainline Protestant denomination has had scandals aplenty, as have Pentecostals, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Buddhists, Hare Krishnas -- and the list goes on. One Canadian Anglican (Episcopal) diocese is currently on the verge of bankruptcy as a result of massive lawsuits caused by decades of systematic abuse, yet the Anglican church does not demand celibacy of its clergy.”

-----Phillip Jenkins, Professor of History and Religious Studies, Penn State.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 13 min Peter Ross 6,236
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 14 min Ms Sassy 306
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 16 min RiversideRedneck 110,966
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 30 min Doctor REALITY 19
Arkansas right for punishing heinous crimes 2 hr Doctor REALITY 7
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr nanoanomaly 982,121
Apr 30 President Trump: "News Media Twists Fac... 9 hr Wtf 1
More from around the web