Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 640864 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#438394 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not always been Catholic. I arrived after many years as southern baptist and over a decade of being an agnostic.
So you went from being saved by faith and the grace of God into being saved by doing good works, taking the eucharist, baptism, sacraments, keep a set of rules, and faith. Does that cover it?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#438395 May 7, 2013
Regina wrote:
Regina:
No, dear. All you have to do is read the Bible that we gave you and obey the commands of Jesus, humbling yourselves in the face of the faith as set forth by the Apostles and the succession of His authority through the church He founded, the Catholic Church, thereby relinquishing your mitres and your paper-papacies.
"Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."

Aren't you afraid that you will forget one of those 'steps'?

KM
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438396 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it's a tough one for protestants because they can't stomach the idea of someone having spiritual authority over them, especially when you believe that everyone who picks up a bible is their own authority. Jesus did say being humble is tough, but it's necessary. Good luck on your journey.
Christ gave authority to Peter who in return abandoned Christ when He was dying on the cross....huh

tough one tony
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#438397 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
again...what does this have to do with confessing to a priest?
The point is that Jesus didn't want us to go through our lives burdened down with this worry. So we confess with our mouths to a priest who has been given the authority to forgive sins, and then we (if he senses we are contrite) hear the words of absolution and are in no doubt of our forgiveness. It's an immense relief.

Another benefit of confessing to a priest is that one must take a closer look at their sinful nature in the very act of verbalizing it and so one is more inclined to put a better effort into avoiding that sin the next time around.(Who really wants to go have to confess THAT one again?)
However, confessing directly to God alone, does not afford the same "bonus". One can just confess their sins in general and gloss over their specifics. You know we humans have a great capacity to think we are better than we really are.

#438398 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
The issue was Kay's assertion (and yours I presume) that we don't need to confess to anyone but God. I proved that assertion wrong. Let's agree to the biblical command to confess our sins to one another and not to God only shall we?
If you want to discuss confessing to a minister of the Church we can go there afterwards.

THAT WAS the issue.

KM
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438399 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You proved nothing but what your church teaches about confession...that's it.
You and Kay say confess to God alone. We no need no stinkin' priest.

Jesus says "If you forgive sins they are forgiven, if you retain them they are retained". Obviously they need to know the sin in order to forgive them.

St. James says "confess your sins to one another."

I guess you two know better. Good luck.

#438400 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
I know it's a tough one for protestants because they can't stomach the idea of someone having spiritual authority over them, especially when you believe that everyone who picks up a bible is their own authority. Jesus did say being humble is tough, but it's necessary. Good luck on your journey.

Wrong again. We believe in the authority of the ministry, but it is for the purpose of edification, not to punish/excommunicate.

KayMarie
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438401 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus says "If you forgive sins they are forgiven, if you retain them they are retained". Obviously they need to know the sin in order to forgive them.
Again...where does Jesus mention confession? thanks
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438402 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ gave authority to Peter who in return abandoned Christ when He was dying on the cross....huh
tough one tony
Yeah, that St. Peter was a real jerk wasn't he?

Keep on divertin' chuck.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#438403 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what changed from the OT priests and the way they did it?
You don't know this one either? lol, just kidding.

Of course Jesus sacrificed Himself to become the True Lamb of God and became our One True Sacrifice, Our True Manna from Heaven, whose Sacred and Holy Person, in His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, we Commune with, to become One with Him, He in us, we in Him, to become infused with His Grace and strengthened to live the Christian Faith.

And when we mess up and sin, we go to the Sacrament of Confession where we are forgiven (if contrite).

The Priest does not offer a sacrifice in Confession, he offers a Sacrifice during Mass. And it is none other than Jesus, fully Present in His Eternal Sacrifice which is offered up to the Father for all eternity.
Thank you Jesus!

#438404 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
What St. Paul said:
"This, as always, is God’s doing; it is he who, through Christ, has reconciled us to himself, and allowed us to minister this reconciliation of his to others."
What the priest says:
"God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

And you give false hope to the sinner who believes that you CAN forgive him/her.

"This, as always, is God’s doing; it is HE who, THROUGH CHRIST, has RECONCILED US TO HIMSELF, and allowed us to minister THIS RECONCILIATION OF HIS to others."

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438405 May 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
The issue was Kay's assertion (and yours I presume) that we don't need to confess to anyone but God. I proved that assertion wrong. Let's agree to the biblical command to confess our sins to one another and not to God only shall we?
If you want to discuss confessing to a minister of the Church we can go there afterwards.
THAT WAS the issue.
KM
No, issue was you inserting "HIM" into 1 John 1:9. Adding to scripture is a no-no Kay.
Clay

Union, NJ

#438406 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So Jesus gave authority to sinners so they can forgive sins....that's a tough one Tony.
I never said He couldn't give the authority but why would He. It's like trying to convince folks that Jesus gave authority to Peter...you know, the same Peter who abanded Christ when He was dying on a cross for his sins.
tough one Tony.
Hey how was your niece's first communion?

Jesus clearly gave the Apostles authority. They clearly passed the baton to the next generation. 300 yrs later, this same authority determined the Bible. Whether you like it or not.

You guys simply do not want any other authority besides yourselves determining Christian teachings for you. The result is: a doctrinal mess and theological chaos and you know it.

#438407 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
You and Kay say confess to God alone. We no need no stinkin' priest.
St. James says "confess your sins to one another."
I guess you two know better. Good luck.

YOU said that he was 'stinkin', not me.
If I forgive one's sins against me, they are forgiven. If I retain them, both of us will have to answer to Him.

No priest has authority to forgive me if I defraud another.

We don't need 'luck'; we have GRACE...

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438408 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...where does Jesus mention confession? thanks
Did Jesus give them the power of telepathy?

I guess St. James should've checked with you before telling us to confess to one another.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438409 May 7, 2013
Here is the main point: We have a High Priest who sat down in the place of honor beside the throne of the majestic God in heaven.

There he ministers in the heavenly Tabernacle, the true place of worship that was built by the Lord and not by human hands.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#438410 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you went from being saved by faith and the grace of God into being saved by doing good works, taking the eucharist, baptism, sacraments, keep a set of rules, and faith. Does that cover it?
I went from not believing in Insta-Heaven via the magical "sinner's prayer" and started reading the Bible.

Then, years later, someone pointed out to me that the Church Christ established had existed when He was ministering on earth and it still exists to this day. Since I believed Jesus spoke Truth, the only question was then: Which one is it?

And it went from there. The journey has been full of very pleasant and refreshing surprises.

#438411 May 7, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
No, issue was you inserting "HIM" into 1 John 1:9. Adding to scripture is a no-no Kay.

I used (Him) in parenthesis to clarify who was doing the forgiving and cleansing.

You inferred that a priest had to be involved, which was truly adding to the Word.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438412 May 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
What St. Paul said:
"This, as always, is God’s doing; it is he who, through Christ, has reconciled us to himself, and allowed us to minister this reconciliation of his to others."
What the priest says:
"God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
And you give false hope to the sinner who believes that you CAN forgive him/her.
"This, as always, is God’s doing; it is HE who, THROUGH CHRIST, has RECONCILED US TO HIMSELF, and allowed us to minister THIS RECONCILIATION OF HIS to others."
KayMarie
St. John said if we confess, God forgives. He didn't say confess to God alone and not to each other.

God has allowed the priest and the Church to minister this reconciliation.

We don't get to ignore the biblical requirement to confess our sins to one another.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438413 May 7, 2013
The Didache, written about the same time St. John was completing Revelation.

“In church confess your sins, and do not come to your prayer with a guilt conscience. Such is the Way of Life...On the Lord's own day, assemble in common to break bread and offer thanks; but first confess your sins, so that your sacrifice may be pure." Didache, 4:14,14:1 (c. A.D. 90).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min here 36,852
How come girls don't like to date east indian g... (Dec '09) 22 min Theresa000 171
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min Steve III 618,244
Play "end of the word" part 2 31 min ImFree2Choose 1,690
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 44 min WasteWater 104,533
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr The Hangman 969,756
sexy girl want to Skype fun Skype: dilinazi20 (Apr '15) 1 hr saleemo 43
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 280,830
More from around the web