Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641951 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Ella

Rockford, MI

#438018 May 5, 2013
cont'd
No More Second Chances
Jim FitzGerald is the executive director of Call To Action, a national Catholic justice organization, and Nicole Sotelo is the group’s communications director and the author of “Women Healing from Abuse: Meditations for Finding Peace.”
Scripture shows us that Jesus often gave people a second chance to make things right once they were shown the truth. Roman Catholic Church leaders today have had chance after chance to do justice not just in individual cases of sexual abuse survivors, but also to remedy what is at the root of the church’s sexual abuse crisis. Unfortunately, they haven’t done either.
Government officials must step in to investigate the crimes.
The roots of this crisis are perpetuated by the secrecy and lack of accountability that has been the modus operandi by church officials for decades. Decisions to hide cases from the public and to harbor pedophile priests has allowed perpetrators to walk freely, abusing child after child. Some bishops still refuse to fully comply with their own internal audits that are meant to safeguard children, and other bishops continue to fight in court against legislation that would allow survivors to bring their cases forward.
What we have learned is that the bishops will not remedy the situation on their own. Survivors, Catholic laity and local news media must hold the bishops accountable.
----------
March 17, 2010, 6:09 pm
Changing the Vatican’s Response to Abuse
By THE EDITORS (NY TIMES)
As the sexual abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church continues to unfold, Pope Benedict XVI said he would issue a letter to Irish Catholics on Friday to help “repentance, healing and renewal.”
The pope himself has been embroiled in the case of Peter Hullermann, a German priest who was convicted of molesting children but had been allowed to work in Munich for more than 30 years until his suspension on Monday. The pope, the former Archbishop Joseph Ratzinger, had served as head of the archdiocese where the priest worked and was later the cardinal in charge of reviewing sexual abuse cases for the Vatican.
What lessons should have been learned from the church’s handling of the American sexual abuse cases? What questions should be asked of the Vatican and what should it do?
----------

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438019 May 5, 2013
My guess is, the pope is not going to win this battle for his artificial god.

As more Catholics are fired for supporting the rights of gays, more will be aggravated by the harsh dictatorship of the hierarchy and irate Catholics will fight even more for gay rights.

It's HIGH time they are treated with dignity.

Prince George, Canada

#438020 May 5, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>What is worse is that you are covering up for gay pedophiles.
Rant on, but soon gay marriage will be coming to your community, and that will put your holy self-image in a knot.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438021 May 5, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
abc News
Catholics Back Same-Sex Marriage
Support for gay marriage has increased in the United States in recent years, and it's actually higher among Catholics than it is among Americans overall.
A majority of Catholics, 54 percent, now support gay marriage, compared to 47 percent of all Americans, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll.
http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/News/majo...
That would be a majority of the people they questioned. Not a majority of Catholics. Silly secularists.

There are so-called Catholics who agree with abortion, divorce and remarriage, and a host of other sinful behaviors. So what? All these kinds of "news" stories do is tickle the ears of non-Catholics. That's been going on since the beginning of time. Pfft.

Prince George, Canada

#438023 May 5, 2013
The increase in support for gay marriage among Catholics coincides with an overall increase in support for the idea in the United States. High-profile public officials, including President Barack Obama, have increasingly taken a pro-gay-marriage stance. Obama announced last spring that he supports same sex-marriage, and former President Bill Clinton wrote in a Thursday opinion piece for The Washington Post that the Defense of Marriage Act he signed into law in 1996 should be overturned. That act defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.

"When I signed the bill, I included a statement with the admonition that 'enactment of this legislation should not, despite the fierce and at times divisive rhetoric surrounding it, be understood to provide an excuse for discrimination," Clinton wrote in the Post. "Reading those words today, I know now that, even worse than providing an excuse for discrimination, the law is itself discriminatory. It should be overturned."

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/News/majo...
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438024 May 5, 2013
Ella wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Ella...your neighbor 'Angel' has a huge psychological problem. Why don't you be a good Christian and help her out?

Prince George, Canada

#438027 May 5, 2013
Christians behave as mortals just as do all others.

They have abortions "in clinics" ... they get hooked on drugs ... they commit adultery ... they swear and lie and steal and murder and con others and on and on and on.

Only they have a picture of their selves as being above others in the glow of "holy" limelight.

Silly people.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#438030 May 5, 2013
The Roman Catholic Church is one of the largest religious denominations in the world today, with an estimated 1.1 billion adherents. Frequently, and for simplicity's sake, they just call themselves Catholics. Like most religions, they believe that they are the only universal valid faith; naturally, other Christians disagree. Even in Ireland, a relatively conservative country, the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church seems to be increasingly out of touch with what ordinary Catholics want.

Location hidden

#438032 May 5, 2013
It is impossible to calculate the wealth of the Roman Catholic Church.

In truth, the church itself likely could not answer that question, even if it wished to.

Its investments and spending are kept secret.

Its real estate and art have not been properly evaluated, since the church would never sell them.

There is no doubt, however, that between the church’s priceless art, land, gold and investments across the globe, it is one of the wealthiest institutions on Earth.

Since 313 A.D., when Catholicism became the official religion of the Roman Empire, its power has been in near-constant growth.

Question....again....if as Catholics erroneously believe, when Christ declared "I will build my church",he meant the Catholic Church....why did it take Him so long to do so!!!!??????
Anthony MN

United States

#438033 May 5, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Then use your brain and realize since we don't have queer leaders your facts about us must be wrong, duh.
Anybody home marge?

-Sexual abuse more in protestant circles.

+No celibacy in protestantism.

=Celibacy not the cause of sexual abuse.

Location hidden

#438036 May 5, 2013
The Roman Catholic Church contends that its origin is the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ in approximately A.D. 30. The Catholic Church proclaims itself to be the church that Jesus Christ died for, the church that was established and built by the apostles. Is that the true origin of the Catholic Church?

On the contrary. Even a cursory reading of the New Testament will reveal that the Catholic Church does not have its origin in the teachings of Jesus or His apostles. In the New Testament, there is no mention of the papacy, worship/adoration of Mary (or the immaculate conception of Mary, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the assumption of Mary, or Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix), petitioning saints in heaven for their prayers, apostolic succession, the ordinances of the church functioning as sacraments, infant baptism, confession of sin to a priest, purgatory, indulgences, or the equal authority of church tradition and Scripture. So, if the origin of the Catholic Church is not in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, what is the true origin of the Catholic Church?

For the first 280 years of Christian history, Christianity was banned by the Roman Empire, and Christians were terribly persecuted.

This changed after the “conversion” of the Roman Emperor Constantine. Constantine “legalized” Christianity with the Edict of Milan in A.D. 313. Later, in A.D. 325, Constantine called the Council of Nicea in an attempt to unify Christianity. Constantine envisioned Christianity as a religion that could unite the Roman Empire, which at that time was beginning to fragment and divide. While this may have seemed to be a positive development for the Christian church, the results were anything but positive. Just as Constantine refused to fully embrace the Christian faith, but continued many of his pagan beliefs and practices, so the Christian church that Constantine promoted was a mixture of true Christianity and Roman paganism.

Again.....why did it take Christ over 300 years to build His church...which Catholic erroneously claim is the Catholic Church!!!!????
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#438038 May 5, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
600 out of every 1,000 births are to unmarried mothers. We as a society should see the problem with this. Those children will not flourish as well as if they were raised in a mother/father household.
Its draining us economically too.
Same sex marriage is another variable to the problem. Even if you take religion out of the equation, children of same sex couples (statistically they 'divorce' higher than heterosexuals) will be a burden to society one day. There is no logical reason for Government to recognize these unions.
So, anything outside of the traditional covenant of marriage and family, is unproductive to We The People.
There was a good article in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press this morning about the breakdown of Marriage.
I can't provide the link. But you can go to twincities.com and look for Joe Soucherays column. "Single Moms are making us broke"
You can't blame gays for the breakdown of marriage.

Adopted children of same sex couples are much better off than being in a state home.

And where do all these unwanted children come from in the first place?

You make a good case for cheaper and easier contraception.

So do overpopulated, poverty-stricken cities in your Catholic countries to the south.

Look in the mirror. This is what you get with an imaginary god.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#438039 May 5, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture is the written portion of Sacred Tradition. Lie #1 This statement is so stupid it does not warrant a response.
The Catholic Church came before the Bible. Lie #2 So the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH wrote the Bible. That will be news for the Jews.
The Bible came from the Catholic Church. Lie #3 No, the Bible came from God.
The NT was written by the Catholic Church for the Catholic Church. Lie #4.....Which of the New Testament writers claimed to be Roman Catholic?
Other than 4 lies what else do you have to offer?
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually OldG, those things you called lies are quite accurate. It can be proven. All of Protestantland agreed to where the NT came from until the born again evangelical fanatics showed up fairly recently.
You gotta admit (privately anyway) that the only way you guys can have your religion, is to be ignorant.
Actually, Cly, you are a bigger liar than your sister. If you can prove your statements prove it without the aid of a Roman Catholic website or a Roman Catholic historian.

Like Jerry McGuire.......show us the facts not the bologna.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#438041 May 5, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"Christians behave as mortals just as do all others.
They have abortions "in clinics" ... they get hooked on drugs ... they commit adultery ... they swear and lie and steal and murder and con others and on and on and on.
Only they have a picture of their selves as being above others in the glow of "holy" limelight.
Silly people.

I have never had an abortion...

...... never taken drugs...

...... never committed adultery

...... never murdered anyone...

I don't lie, or steal, or con anyone.

And I KNOW LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T.

What about you ???

KayMarie

P.S. I know that some CC is going to slam the 'lying' bit...go right ahead.:)
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438042 May 5, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight. It is the psychologists fault the pedophile priests continued to sexually abuse children as young as 3 years old. Is that your contention? The psychologists told the Roman Catholic Church they could treat their perverted priests better than the Roman Catholic Church could treat their perverted priests and Rome said Okey Dokey? Really?
For at least the 1000th. time, the Roman Catholic Church of today is not the catholic church (Universal). Do you understand?
Did somebody say something?
No, I didn't think so.

Yawn....
truth

Ellenbrook, Australia

#438044 May 5, 2013
o well everyone is not criminal if someone try set up but serve criminals..many in authority have to be expose..

church..no you can't divided Jesus on this or that..
luck spirituality..hm..maybe yes..maybe not..where is yes..where is not..
Did you sold your soul=to whom?=its not spirituality when you keep your soul..how its looks nice pure as you see water ..cakula se..yep=mind..
you say about apostol..yep that words can have some impact depend..about what..Jesus is Jesus!

Prince George, Canada

#438045 May 5, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<
The difference is the percent, with gays overwhelmingly into drugs,
If you were homosexual and were taught by Christian parents that you were evil, my guess is you would understand why so many committed suicide. They learned to hate their own selves, because of what they were taught.

Blacks at one time also hated their selves because of white Christians teaching them that they were worthless to the supposed god.

You people might believe you are special, but your opinions might amount to nothing more than what they are. and not what are certain they are.

Prince George, Canada

#438046 May 5, 2013
not what you are certain they are
truth

Ellenbrook, Australia

#438047 May 5, 2013
now you say about early stage ..you are simonpeter..i told you Buda keep Jesus Cross too..you not tell me about early stage ..himelaya..are you for sure nothing been there..o then tell me about luck of spirituality..its not..alien residence..is hide there so long..now..
lama lama why you left me..please explain that words..
himelaya him laya..
Are you for sure I am wrong?..please tell me.

Prince George, Canada

#438048 May 5, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>You mean mostly illegal alien hispanic Catholics
Are they not REAL Catholics like you?

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 17 min Jake999 44,469
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 31 min spider1954 970,120
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 31 min Mr Wiggley 38,725
Supporting Trump like the fallen angels support... 52 min Johnny 32
Black people are more evolved then white people? (May '13) 1 hr Johnny 204
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 1 hr Johnny 4,165
Help ??? I'm 15 and ready for sex 2 hr Ander15 1
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 4 hr Ricky F 38,443
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr WasteWater 104,770
More from around the web