Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685776 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437690 May 4, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Anthony....and other misdirected Catholics:
The Roman Empire legally recognized Pauline Christianity as a valid religion in 313 AD. Later in that century, in 380 AD, Roman Catholicism became the official religion of the Roman Empire. During the following 1000 years, Catholics were the only people recognized as Christians.
Question: If, as you believe, Christ built the Catholic Church when He said "I will build my church"...why did it take Him,almost 400 years to do So!!!!!????
All those early Christians who referred to themselves as members of the Catholic Church for almost 300 years before AD 380 must not have seen your memo.

All historical evidence shows the earliest Christians called themselves Catholic and members of the Catholic Church and professed belief in Catholic doctrine.

There does not exist one shred of historical evidence of ANY fundamentalist evangelical protestant persons, groups or denominations OR anyone referring to themselves as such. Not one shred of evidence exists of ANY Christian holding to reformed protestant beliefs of sola scriptura, sola fide, invisible Church, symbolic Eucharist, symbolic baptism, etc.

Question: If the earliest Christians who were taught by the apostles, passed on their teaching, copied and preserved their writings (the NT) and all believed as the Catholic Church teaches, why do today's protestants insist they know the scriptures better 2000 years later?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#437691 May 4, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
But I have welcomed the Catholics back also; right Regina?
KM
Of course! You're not done converting Cahtolics to the true faith of your version of Protestantism.

You are ALL ... er ... uh ... no ... heart is not the right word. You are all EGO ... that's it.

:)
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437692 May 4, 2013
Catholics

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#437693 May 4, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"
You are so sorry for me that you salivate at the thought of me burning in hell.
Your attitude is ... "That will FIX you for not obeying my sermons of wisdom. SO THERE ... TAKE THAT AND THAT AND THAT from MY god."

I have 'salivated' at no such thing. I have tried to make plain to you that His invitation is open to you.

My attitude is a hope that NO ONE will be lost.

On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't want to spend eternity with Hitler types, or those who call good 'evil', or evil 'good'.

I'm not better than anyone else. I'm just BLESSED by His provision for me...a gift from LOVE.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437694 May 4, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
A 'works' gospel may be controversial to you but it's a plain old false gospel to me, since Salvation is a gift.
Matt. 5:2-11 - Jesus' teaching of the beatitudes goes beyond faith - being pure, merciful, and peacemakers are all good works. They are acts of the will that are necessary for a right relationship with God.

Matt. 5:16 - Jesus confirms this by teaching, "let your light shine before men that they may see your 'good works' and give glory to God." Good works glorify God and increase our justification before the Father.

Matt. 5:39-42 - give your striker the other cheek, give away your cloak, and go with him two miles. This faith in action, not faith alone.

Matt. 5:44-47 - this means even loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us. Love is a good work, an act of the will.

Matt. 6:12 - forgive us our sins, not by how much faith we have, but as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Matt. 7:19-23 - just saying "Lord, Lord" and accepting Jesus as personal Savior is not enough. We must also bear the fruit of good works.

Matt. 19:16-22 - Jesus teaches the man to sell all he has and give it to the poor. It is not just about accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. We also need good works by keeping Jesus' commandments.

Matt. 22:39; Mark 12:31 - Jesus says You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love is a good work - an act of the intellect and will.

Mark 9:39 - Jesus said no one who does good works in His name will be able to soon after speak evil of Him. Good works justify us before God.

Luke 6:46-47 - the Lord asks us to do what he tells us, and that is to keep His commandments, not just "accept" Him as personal Lord and Savior.

Luke 6:20-38 - again, beatitudes, the love of enemies, giving to the needy, forgiving, bearing fruit - all these good works justify a man before God.

Luke 8:21 - Jesus says that His mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.

John 5:24 - note that "eternal life" here means sanctifying grace (the life of God within us). We can choose to fall from this grace.

John 5:36, 10:37-38 - Jesus emphasizes that His works testify to who He is. We must imitate Christ's works to be more fully united with Him.

John 5:39-42 - knowing the Scriptures is not enough if you do not have love in your heart.

John 8:31-32 - Jesus requires works even from those who believe in Him. Mere belief is not enough.

John 13:34-35 - Jesus gives us a new commandment, that we love one another as He loves us. He commands love which is an act of our will.

John 14:15 - Jesus says, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." This requires works, not just faith (and not faith alone).

John 14:21 – he who hears my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. This is doing good works for others.

John 15:8 – Jesus requires us to bear the good fruit of works if we are to be His disciples. These fruits are merits in Catholic teaching, all borne from God’s unmerited gift of grace.

John 15:10 - if you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, as I have kept the Father's commandments.

John 15:12 - this is My commandment that you love one another as I have loved you. Love is both a cause and the fruit of our justification.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437695 May 4, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't really matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live - a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."
Martin Luther King, the night before he was killed.
I read that speech.

King stood up for the freedom of the black people, but he didn't take a stand against the brutality concerning homosexuals.

They fell through his preaching "cracks."

#437696 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"It doesn't directly. But I wanted to post this to Ella, who i believe to be a sincere Christian and respectable poster.
She posted the Webster definition of the Catholic/Roman/Romanist/Papist Church and i wanted to remind her of where the bones of the Apostles lay. And its not beneath your Pentecostal compound Kay.

I don't need dead bones. I have a living savior...

KM
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437697 May 4, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"
Your attitude is ... "That will FIX you for not obeying my sermons of wisdom. SO THERE ... TAKE THAT AND THAT AND THAT from MY god."
I have 'salivated' at no such thing. I have tried to make plain to you that His invitation is open to you.
On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't want to spend eternity with Hitler types, or those who call good 'evil', or evil 'good'.
I'm not better than anyone else. I'm just BLESSED by His provision for me...a gift from LOVE.
KayMarie
Go tell it on the mountain!

June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437698 May 4, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"
KayMarie
Only if people believe as YOU believe, do you perceive that they DESERVE salvation.

Yours is a small little box with stuffy air "enclosed."

#437699 May 4, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"
You will learn that from me you will HAVE to take NO for an answer.
Do you want me to send a Jehovah's Witness to your home, bible in hand?
Is that enough of a threat for you?

I can take Jehovah's Witnesses.

KM
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437700 May 4, 2013
Many black preachers look down the mountain on homosexuals as being offenders of a god. They forgot what their ancestors endured at the hands of white Christians that used the same bibles to preach "Negroes DON'T have souls."

Religion sickens me in my gut.

#437701 May 4, 2013
who="Anthony MN"

Question: If the earliest Christians who were taught by the apostles, passed on their teaching, copied and preserved their writings (the NT) and all believed as the Catholic Church teaches, why do today's protestants insist they know the scriptures better 2000 years later?

Because we read the New Testament, NOT THE CATHOLIC CATECHISM.
KayMarie
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437702 May 4, 2013
KM
As did countless others in other religions, you have an image of a savior in your psyche that dotes on your every selfish whim.

That doesn't mean images are real. It means they entertain the self.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437703 May 4, 2013
KayMarie
You can't read anything in the "original" new testament that was not first compiled by Catholics. So by studying and believing in what they wrote as truth, you are a Catholic ... like it or not.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437704 May 4, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
KayMarie
But why doesn't your interpretations jive with the men who walked alongside the Apostles?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437705 May 4, 2013
I can take Jehovah's Witnesses.
KM
Where would you like to take them? Up on that high mountain ... at your level of knowledge???

My guess is "NO!" You have lots of preaching yet to them in order for them to be as pristine as you perceive is YOU "in the flesh, AND more important ... in the "DIVINE SPIRIT."

Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#437706 May 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
- "I would far rather hear of a rival to my throne than another Bishop of Rome"
Emperor Decius upon executing Pope Fabian in 250 AD
- Any group on this Earth (political, academic, athletic, or Religious) needs one leader: one final decision maker.
You have it in your Orthodox Church too Herm.
Every single Protestant sect has one too. In fact, most assume more authority than any Pope we've had!
- Nobody can read the Book of Acts and not acknowledge that Peter stood above the other Apostles in a leadership role. His authority was evident. Tradition shows what the early Church considered the Bishop of Rome to be, a leader. If you don't have one leader, you have Anarchy. And that's exactly what Protestanism is: Anarchy pretending that the Holy Spirit is guiding them to scriptural truths!
Easterners embraced Arianism between 340 and 381AD, when 86% of all Eastern bishops became Arians. Romans generally held fast, and defended men like St. Athanasius and St. Cyril of Jerusalem, and brought the East back to the Truth. Likewise, Easterners (including ALL FOUR Eastern patriarchs) denied Chalcedon in A.D. 482 and advocated the "orthodoxy" of Monophysism, while Romans held fast to REAL orthodoxy and had to excommunicate some heretical patriarchs. This was the famous Acacian schism which lasted until A.D. 519, and which was only healed when Emperor Justin I (an orthodox Christian) came to the throne and basically forced all of the Eastern bishops to condemn Monophysism, to embrace the dogmas of Chalcedon, and to sign the Libellus Hormisdae, which reads as follows:
"Because the statement of our Lord Jesus Christ, when He said,'Thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I will found my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it, etc,' cannot be set aside; this, which is said, is ***proved by the results****; for in the Apostolic See (Rome) religion has always been preserved without spot ....In which (See) is set the perfect and true solidity of the Christian religion." ... "In the Apostolic See the Catholic religion has always been kept undefiled and her holy doctrine proclaimed. Desiring, therefore, not to be in the least degree separated from the faith and doctrine of that See, we hope that we may deserve to be in the one communion with you which the Apostolic See preaches, in which is the entire and true solidity of the Christian religion: promising also that the names of those who are cut off from the communion of the Catholic Church, that is, not consentient with the Apostolic See (Rome), shall not be recited during the Sacred Mysteries (i.e., the Liturgy). This is my profession, I have subscribed with my own hand, and delivered to you, Hormisdas, the holy and venerable Pope of the city of Rome."

(Formula Hormisdae Episc. Orient. Praescript Denzinger's Enchird. p. 42, ed. 1874) in Charles F.B. Allnatt, ed., Cathedra Petri --Titles and Prerogatives of St. Peter, London: Burns & Oates, 1879, 92

The Libellus was signed by 2,500 Eastern bishops in A.D. 519. It was also re-affirmed and signed by all the bishops who deposed Photius at the Constantinople Council in 869. This illustrates very clearly that the Orthodox Church has changed considerably.

http://www.catholicbridge.com/catholic/orthod...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437707 May 4, 2013
When Catholics compiled the data in the new testament, it was meant ONLY for Catholic-indulgence.

Protestants are not Catholics ... they are protestors against what Catholics wrote as truth in that new testament.

If Protestants don't like what the Catholics wrote, they should not be using the same bible, but rather they should go straight to the one god in the sky and be inspired to write their own book of lies.

tongue-in-cheek
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#437708 May 4, 2013
Discovery Channel

Polygyny, the most common form of polygamy, describes when a man has multiple wives at the same time. In plural marriages of this kind, the men frequently father dozens of children, because they're able to impregnate their many wives at the same time.

The practice dates back to Biblical times. Ancient Jewish doctrines encouraged polygyny because Jews were a minority, and they could reproduce more rapidly. Today, some orthodox Jewish sects continue to support polygyny, and some believe the Talmud even encourages it.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/what -...
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437709 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"It doesn't directly. But I wanted to post this to Ella, who i believe to be a sincere Christian and respectable poster.
She posted the Webster definition of the Catholic/Roman/Romanist/Papist Church and i wanted to remind her of where the bones of the Apostles lay. And its not beneath your Pentecostal compound Kay.
KM
Thats cute Kay. But my point is that the Catholic Church belongs to Christ Jesus and His Apostles were killed while establishing it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 21 min positronium 26,373
Glorious ECLIPSE coming TODAY @10:45 am in Arka... 45 min Doctor REALITY 1
Got any good jokes?? (Mar '07) 1 hr Ricky F 1,834
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Robert F 985,710
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 35
How To Recover Yahoo mail account Password Quick 3 hr johnwick91 1
What is the most forbidden sex you have had ? (Nov '16) 7 hr StefH 10
More from around the web