Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 21,029)

Showing posts 420,561 - 420,580 of532,257
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
most people pray on sunday. Gods day off. That is not very nice.
:)

EARLY CHRISTIANS - 2nd Century

"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

http://www.remnantofgod.org/sabhist.htm#2

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I never pray, I figure things out myself. If they don't work out that is the way it was meant to be.
I once asked a Christian (a staunch follower of Oral Roberts) if she would pray for a new dress. She answered that indeed she would if that is what she wanted.

Believers often claim that "god" knows what they need before they know. Then my question would be ... "Why bother asking?" If it's his call anyway, why not let him figure out what you deserve?

Silly stuff.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is perfect why would he be born a jew, live a jew his entire life, then dump his beloved religion, CHANGE his ways to head the catholic church, without any plan of operation or rules/regulations?
If Jews do not believe in sons of God or the trinity, why would God be born a Jew if he is suppose to be part of the trinity, and Jews do not believe in the trinity?
......makes no common sense.....
Of course it makes no sense. That's why Jesus wasn't canonized as a Catholic saint as were all his supposed "followers."
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion - A Delusion
I agree, none of us are perfect. But can we strive for, or, be made perfect?
You bring up in both sentences the word "should". That is a judgemental call. Since we are all in the world, living in time, it is hard to be objective, from an eternal stance (though most of us have a sense of eternity) to make such a judgement.
At the same time it is a hope and prayer, by people of faith that all live in eternity in peace and joy. Such a state of being is called "blessed". Jesus' first teaching in Matthew were on being blessed. They are known as the Beatitudes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatitudes
Thanks again for link.

The Beatitudes in Matthew are wonderful, full of hope and joy.

Then we have "woe to you...

... who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
... who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
... who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
... when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets."

Forgetting the Communist overtones and any concerns about your standing with God as part of the richest, best feed Christian community in history.....

My question is, who were the false prophets?

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

If successful, huge perks comes with being the leader of one's own religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

The third successor of Tsong-kha-pa took the title of Dalai Lama (1578). Under the fifth Dalai Lama (1617820, the Gelugpa achieved triumph. Since then, and down to today, the Dalai Lama is recognized as the sole religious and political leader of the country.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

The lamas are masters of the atmosphere exactly like the shamans; they fly in the air, etc.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

who="Michael"
If God is perfect why would he be born a jew, live a jew his entire life, then dump his beloved religion, CHANGE his ways to head the catholic church, without any plan of operation or rules/regulations?
If Jews do not believe in sons of God or the trinity, why would God be born a Jew if he is suppose to be part of the trinity, and Jews do not believe in the trinity?

Christianity is not in opposition to the Jews. To some it appears to be, but Isaiah prophesied that the Jews would be blinded for a time in order that God's purpose be fulfilled. Jesus said that "salvation is OF the Jews".(John 4:22) Jesus said that, "I have other sheep (Gentiles) which are not of this fold (Jewish nation)".

When He is finished, the Jewish nation will be the center of His kingdom, and all nations will worship Him.

The O.T. was a period during which God set the Jewish nation aside to show the world that He was a loving, promise-keeping Father. Then He made a new covenant (New Testament) and invited all who would to 'come into His fold'. His body in this world is like a child being formed in the mother's womb. When it is ready, it will be the completed Bride of Christ.

Christianity is neither a Jewish nor Gentile nation, it is His body.

KayMarie
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they have to have a religion to make them search for what was "good" or right, and if so, why all the religious wars?
June VanDerMark:

If one is in a labyrinth, then its good to have someone start you in the right direction. It takes a little(lot for some like me) of effort after that to keep on going.

Religion is that right direction. Its good to have Jesus start you out.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU WROTE
"So, who is more at risk, an Atheist or you?"
SINCE YOU ASK
I would say an infidel such as yourself is on the same level as the atheist..
THE ATHEIST CLAIMS HE DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD..
YOU AND YOUR RELIGIOUS SYSTEM TEACH A DIFFERENT DIFFERENT PLAN OF SALVATION, having laced it with paganism dogma cat-teach ism and
sundry calisthenics of foreign origin...
You refuse to listen to what Catholics believe. We've told you for 3 yrs what the CC teaches and you ignore it. Opting instead to tell us what we believe so you can have an excuse to continue preaching opposite of Our Lord.
Confrint, you are deep rooted in lies. I think you realize this too.
You love to condemn everyone to Hell (just like the Scribes and Pharisees). There is no difference between you and an atheist in the eyes of God. You both will be judged on what was truly in your heart. You guys are fools for continuing on with your ridiculous ignorance when the truth has been presented. You couldn't possibly still think the Pentecostal movement or any Protestant sect is the true Church.. You guys have been proven wrong in every area imaginable. Your hatred and jealously towards the CC overcomes any desire for truth.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

who="Michael"
Christianity is not in opposition to the Jews. To some it appears to be, but Isaiah prophesied that the Jews would be blinded for a time in order that God's purpose be fulfilled. Jesus said that "salvation is OF the Jews".(John 4:22) Jesus said that, "I have other sheep (Gentiles) which are not of this fold (Jewish nation)".
When He is finished, the Jewish nation will be the center of His kingdom, and all nations will worship Him.
The O.T. was a period during which God set the Jewish nation aside to show the world that He was a loving, promise-keeping Father. Then He made a new covenant (New Testament) and invited all who would to 'come into His fold'. His body in this world is like a child being formed in the mother's womb. When it is ready, it will be the completed Bride of Christ.
Christianity is neither a Jewish nor Gentile nation, it is His body.
KayMarie
Says who?? What authority are you to preach Christianity? Who ordained you? Who's Scriptures are you using to preach Christianity? Why are your teachings different than Christians before you?
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for your bible ... as you thrown in the trash can.
June VanDerMark:

Since the writings of the Bible have not been changed over time, they are as true today, as when originally written.

True some of the Hebrew and Greek have obscure meanings to our language today.

In fact, a very simple word such as to be "kind", had much wider meaning in the original Greek, than our word today.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
If one is in a labyrinth, then its good to have someone start you in the right direction. It takes a little(lot for some like me) of effort after that to keep on going.
Religion is that right direction. Its good to have Jesus start you out.
So you are a Catholic following a Jew in the right direction HUH?

According to Jewish theology, if you follow a Jew, you will land in Olam Ha Ba.

That doesn't have that ring of "heaven" somehow ... does it???

Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are double-talking.
Catholics were the only ones that could canonize her as a Catholic saint.
June VanDerMark:

I think you missed my point. Sorry.

The rather invidous description of Christianity, known as Roman Catholic Church, was not invented until about Henry VIII, or Elizabeth I in England.(As being part of the "Empire", I suspect you have heard of them. Haha) Before that, Christians were known as being part of the Catholic Church.
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
YES ... why didn't they canonize Jesus as a Catholic saint? After all they claim he authorized the new religion. Why did the Jewish apostles, Jewish Mary, and Jewish Peter the first supposed pope all become canonized as saints ... yet the Jewish founder of the religions wasn't put up by the hierarchy for sainthood?
WHY???
June VanDerMark:

Interesting question.

I can only give my own thinking on this.

Since Jesus is God and Man, He is above sainthood. He shared in our total humanity, except without sin. One might call Him the SAINT of Saints(or Saint of saints), because of being a human being.

As a general rule, saints were pretty big sinners, and dealt with it in their lives. They became examples.

I will think on it some more.
Ella

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
My father went to sunday mass every week. Died of a massive heart attack at 61. His first and last.
Everyday christians pray billions and billions of prayers each one selfishly asking for something. A young woman prays that it will be sunny on her wedding day this saturday, yet just down the road from her wedding, farmers will be praying for rain.
.......People pray for everything under the sun. People pray to be taller, to be shorter, to lose weight, to win the big game, to ace the exam, to have a boyfriend or have a girlfriend, or to win the lottery..........most people pray on sunday. Gods day off. That is not very nice.
I never pray, I figure things out myself. If they don't work out that is the way it was meant to be.
Try praying God's Word over your life and see what happens...'His Word will not come back void but it will accomplish what it purposes to do'
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Human Being:
If a thousand Christians do something wrong, the world makes a big deal.
If a million people in the world do something wrong, its hardly even mentioned.
Sounds like today's politicians. It is simply a battle between good and evil.
KayMarie
KayMarie

The battle of good and evil.

It may be in big numbers, and we so easily see the war in the world, but it is our susceptability(the way of the flesh) to fall into temptation.

"Deliver us from evil." It is something not far away, but begins in the heart. Our Lord's Prayer for us.

We must remember the beam in our own eye. In this way we may remember to be more humble.
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the link. That's something I'll read.
Yes, I agree. The word "should" does imply judgement.
In my judgement -- no just God should (or would) punish anyone for a crime committed by their parents.
In my judgement -- no just God should (or would) punish anyone based on their culture and religious upbringing.
I do not rule out the possibility of a Higher Power.
Just not an imaginary being driven by petty human emotions, one who is so arbitrary as to punish innocent children for circumstances completely beyond their control.
My mind says impossible. So I don't fear a petty, arbitrary god.
Religion - A Delusion

Higher Power. Hmmm.

If its dark in the house, and you cannot see, you might as well get over your fear of stubbing your toe, and turn on the light, so you can see.

I don't fear a petty and arbitrary god either.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion - A Delusion
Higher Power. Hmmm.
If its dark in the house, and you cannot see, you might as well get over your fear of stubbing your toe, and turn on the light, so you can see.
I don't fear a petty and arbitrary god either.
You worship a god who holds children responsible for their parent's sins.

You worship a god who discriminates against people based on their culture (until Vatican 2 at least).

Is that because of fear, or do you share those same core values?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

who="Human Being"
KayMarie
The battle of good and evil.
It may be in big numbers, and we so easily see the war in the world, but it is our susceptability(the way of the flesh) to fall into temptation.
"Deliver us from evil." It is something not far away, but begins in the heart. Our Lord's Prayer for us.
We must remember the beam in our own eye. In this way we may remember to be more humble.

I understand that we can be tempted, HB. We need to fight the good fight of faith. Sometimes we fail, but He forgives and cleanses us when we confess to Him.

We are also told to restore others in a spirit of meekness, when we see their faults, knowing that we might also be tempted as they were.

KayMarie
Human Being

Basile, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again for link.
The Beatitudes in Matthew are wonderful, full of hope and joy.
Then we have "woe to you...
... who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
... who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
... who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
... when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets."
Forgetting the Communist overtones and any concerns about your standing with God as part of the richest, best feed Christian community in history.....
My question is, who were the false prophets?
Religion - A Delusion

There are examples of false prophets in the Old Testament, and this is a pretty broad topic.

I think Jesus condensed this saying, from Deuteronomy 13:1-5, but it was more for the individual.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Following someone who promises pie in the sky in the name of God, rather than following and loving God with all one's being, will lead to a lot of woe individually, and collectively.

Consider all politics. Even well meaning, a lot of grief in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 420,561 - 420,580 of532,257
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

416 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 min Dalit Trolls Fixers 114,935
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 22 min Hidingfromyou 719,843
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min Richardfs 223,976
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 28 min bacon hater 93,649
Friends who want to share daily living experiences (Oct '11) 47 min Just Wondering 8,187
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Vinod S 4,444
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 36,489
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 256,338
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace1 172,192
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••