Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 555,092
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

usa

#435899 Apr 28, 2013
.In medieval Europe, the Catholic Church not only condoned prostitution, but allowed it to be run out of the monasteries and convents. The phrase, "get thee to a nunnery" had nothing to do with a convent of "nuns" but rather the "nunnery" was a brothel. The exhortation was given to young men to keep them from trying to corrupt the virgin daughters of the townspeople.

In 1254, King Louis IX of France, decreed that all prostitutes be regarded as outlaws after it was discovered that a Parisian prostitute sat next to the queen of France in Church, and the queen, as was her custom, bestowed a kiss on her.When the identity of the woman reached the ears of the king, he decided that the only way to prevent future incidents was to outlaw prostitution throughout his kingdom....

"Prostitution: An Illustrated Social History " Vern&Bonnie Bullough/ Crown Books 1978
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435900 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.
According to Columbus’s calculations, the end of the world was due to occur in 155 years.
The end is near.

Time for all true Xians to shed their worldly wealth

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/64209/cathol...
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435901 Apr 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
In the Middle Ages the Christian church, which valued chastity, attempted to convert or rehabilitate individual prostitutes but refrained from campaigning against the institution itself. In so doing the church followed the teaching of St. Augustine, who held that the elimination of prostitution would breed even worse forms of immorality and perversion, because men would continue to seek sexual contact outside marriage. By the late Middle Ages, prostitution had reached a high point in Western history. Licensed brothels flourished throughout Europe, yielding enormous revenues to government officials and corrupt churchmen....During the 16th century prostitution declined sharply in Europe, largely as the result of stern reprisals by Protestants and Roman Catholics. They condemned the immorality of brothels and their inmates, but they were also motivated by the perception of a connection between prostitution and an outbreak of syphilis, a previously unknown disease. Brothels in many cities were closed by the authorities. Under a typical ordinance, enacted in Paris in 1635, prostitutes were flogged, shaved bald, and exiled for life without formal trial.
Jeth writes... "... the teaching of St. Augustine, who held that the elimination of prostitution would breed even worse forms of immorality and perversion."

Good old St Augustine --

“Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men.”

This explains much about the backwardness of the catholic world.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435902 Apr 28, 2013
More timeless words from St. Augustine, greatest church daddy...

"There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435903 Apr 28, 2013
Anyone can pick the wise quotes of a great leader, while ignoring the not-so-wise quotes.

In doing so, someone like Stalin can be glorified through his own words.

Selective memories are helpful in creating and maintaining myths.

In the end, there is no evidence for any other god except the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#435904 Apr 28, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeth writes... "... the teaching of St. Augustine, who held that the elimination of prostitution would breed even worse forms of immorality and perversion."
Good old St Augustine --
“Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men.”
This explains much about the backwardness of the catholic world.
It was the same type of boorish-minded men that compiled the data of the new testament, and the only reason Augustine was put on a pedestal as a wise theologian, is that he agreed with the boorish mental gibberish of the boorish-minded popes.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#435905 Apr 28, 2013
Anyone can pick the wise quotes of a great leader, while ignoring the not-so-wise quotes.
In doing so, someone like Stalin can be glorified through his own words.
Selective memories are helpful in creating and maintaining myths.
In the end, there is no evidence for any other god except the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Then why are you on here, debunking something you equate to a 'flying spaghetti monster'??
Who does that?

You insecure Atheists/Agnostics crack me up. You're more persistent than typical Evangelical fanatical Christians!
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#435906 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
A History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.
Luther’s theology
In a letter of June 1522, Marin Luther wrote:“I do not admit that my doctrine can be judged by anyone, even by the angels. One who does not receive my doctrine cannot come to salvation.”
Word-picking from those books to suit your own fantasies might have the same value to humanity as picking your nose.
no clear thought of your own; still using other peoples.
and you say Christians are brain washed.

Prince George, Canada

#435907 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
The end is near.
Time for all true Xians to shed their worldly wealth
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/64209/cathol...
This is quite the "laughable" quote from that article.

"“What I’d like to say is when you talk about prophecies, it’s not always about the future. That is often times the wrong way of looking at prophecy. A prophet is somebody who speaks in behalf of somebody else,” he added."
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#435908 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Bill Maher interviewing "Jesus."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WlpT1T9825IXX
Many people today are just plain miserable. And plenty of these miserable people are also extremely critical. I am not sure that they are critical because they are miserable or miserable because they are critical.
I don't like critical people. I'm not sure that anyone does. They are much like complainers. You just don't like to be around someone who is always critical and complaining.
All of us have known people who were complainers and full of criticism. They had adopted a negative outlook on life. This critical spirit expressed itself in many ways. They were always fault finding, putting other people down, and judging others. They were negative and looked at everything in a negative way.
If we are honest, we have to admit that we do not want to be around people like that, even though we are sometimes tempted to act like that ourselves. So, when Jesus addressed this issue in the Sermon on the Mount, He was dealing with something that every person must confront. We must confront it in others, and we must confront it in ourselves as well. Having a negative, critical, judgmental attitude is everywhere - even in us.
Jesus' teaching is simple and straightforward. He tells us that we must first stop being judgmental. Then He tells us that rather than being judgmental concerning others, we must look to ourselves and evaluate our own lives.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#435909 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the same type of boorish-minded men that compiled the data of the new testament, and the only reason Augustine was put on a pedestal as a wise theologian, is that he agreed with the boorish mental gibberish of the boorish-minded popes.
Augustine was a brilliant theologian.
Can you name anyone who spoke in perfect flawlessness?
Anyone who said all the right things at the right time- no matter the cultural situation was?

I bet you're thinking Barack Obama. lol

Prince George, Canada

#435910 Apr 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>my choice would be anywhere there is a pond loaded with fish so i can spend eternity fishing,what else is there to do in heaven? and what will we look like when we get there? example,if you become parilyzed from the neck down,do you spend eternity like that? or does god make us young an healthy or do you stay as you are when you die?
If you pick the myths of your favorite theologian while on earth, it is guaranteed to come true in the afterlife.

That was and is the line taught by all theologians. "Follow ME and I promise streets of gold and the best treatment from a god that you can get anywhere. Those other theologians lie to you ... but ME ... well ... I tell you the truth ... the whole truth ... and nothing but the truth ... I take it right from the HOLY book, which is God's MOST holy word ... blah, blah, blah."

Prince George, Canada

#435911 Apr 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're saying "the Bible says the Roman CHURCH is the Harlot false religion"??
Many Protestants were taught that by their Protestant theologians.

It was and is the divide and conquer method. Protestant theologians taught that if people followed them, they would learn what real holiness meant, and that would be sure to align the followers to the will of "God."

The ex-Jew Catholics spewed, and many still spew the same type of nonsense about the Jews not having the WHOLE story. Jews were supposed to become devout Catholics in order to be saved ... which is very humorous considering that the supposed savior was and IS a faithful Jew.

Prince George, Canada

#435912 Apr 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Augustine was a brilliant theologian.
If he was Protestant would you believe he was "brilliant."

:)
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#435913 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you pick the myths of your favorite theologian while on earth, it is guaranteed to come true in the afterlife.
That was and is the line taught by all theologians. "Follow ME and I promise streets of gold and the best treatment from a god that you can get anywhere. Those other theologians lie to you ... but ME ... well ... I tell you the truth ... the whole truth ... and nothing but the truth ... I take it right from the HOLY book, which is God's MOST holy word ... blah, blah, blah."
Keep spreading that evangelical atheist gospel June!! You're going to fight and kick until you keel over and die. And in 500 yrs, the Catholic Church will still be here. ie you will fail.

Serious question: If God appeared in the sky right now and He is the Judeo-Christian God of Abraham, would you embrace Him or curse Him?

Remember, He will be against your 'right' to abort a baby. He will be against gay marriage and other misuses of sexuality. He will require you to follow His commandments and love Him back.
That's a tough one eh?

Prince George, Canada

#435914 Apr 28, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like critical people.
That indicates to me that you will never critisize your own beliefs.

Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#435915 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Many Protestants were taught that by their Protestant theologians.
It was and is the divide and conquer method. Protestant theologians taught that if people followed them, they would learn what real holiness meant, and that would be sure to align the followers to the will of "God."
The ex-Jew Catholics spewed, and many still spew the same type of nonsense about the Jews not having the WHOLE story. Jews were supposed to become devout Catholics in order to be saved ... which is very humorous considering that the supposed savior was and IS a faithful Jew.
Catholicism flowed from Judaism. All the first Catholics were Jews until the Apostles Baptized Gentiles (Acts 10)
No one can understand the Catholic faith unless they are familiar with the Hebrew Books of the OT. That's the big difference in how the Protesters do not understand the fullness of Christianity. They essentially ignore the OT. Much of what is written in the NT - especially the words of Jesus Christ can be traced to the OT.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#435916 Apr 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was Protestant would you believe he was "brilliant."
Maybe. I like allot of Protestant theologians and Ministers. Particularly Rick Warren and Billy Graham. Both are in error on certain teachings. But they are sincere in their love for Jesus Christ. They do the best they can, that's all one can ask.

Prince George, Canada

#435917 Apr 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>it's ok for him to do what he pleases, he is devinely guided by god/jesus.
All preachers of religions are certain that divine spirits are speaking through them. You never here one claim that an evil spirit is speaking through a human mouth. All preachers save that nasty stuff for others and keep all the gems for their selves.

Blathering fortune tellers ... one and all.

Prince George, Canada

#435918 Apr 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you have a good point,children were born with defects way before the drug craze took hold.the only drug out there at the time was opium,which started in china,opium dens were very popular there and in the u.s..marijiuana was not widely used back then like it is today,and most of the drugs out today did not exist a few decades ago.
My guess is, many babies are born with mental and physical problems when the parents are drug-addicted. Cells that create the babies can only take so much punishment before they also succumb to the drugs.

Can you imagine inebriated, over-dosed cells trying to properly function at their jobs?

It ain't gonna happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Dave Nelson 765,195
Laptops & Tablets Black Friday Top Deals 2014 9 min black friday 2014 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Dr_Zorderz 263,642
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (10.1-Inch ) black friday ... 10 min black friday 2014 1
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 14 min Jan 1,190
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min truth 603,712
How many hubbies enjoy sloppy seconds from thei... 58 min annmssb 2
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 5 hr arabian 5,444

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE