Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 544,869
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#435353 Apr 25, 2013
The Woman’s Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred objects … by Barbara G. Walker.

Book

The written word has always been numinous, conveying a sense of awe especially to the illiterate, who admired alphabetical symbols even if they could not read them.“It is written” was another way of saying “It is so.” In a way, reading can create a magical reality that exists in the imagination, to be sure, but can be vivid enough to block out the natural world while the reading lasts. Books are the primary conveyances of all abstract ideas.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435354 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It IS fun over here.
So many holy comedians visit this thread.
:)
So i was right,you got bored with being the main feature poster on that other thread? It looks as though you are striving to be the only poster on this thread as well.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435355 Apr 25, 2013
It's no wonder that Mother Teresa, who spent so much time indulging in the words in her bible, yearned to die and (in her words) go to God.

Heaven became real to her ... more real than earth.

The same thing occurred to others who feasted as gluttons on words in their supposed holy books.

The important part of their lives were no longer here, as they perceived that the people of the world in general were evil and that they were holy. They assured their selves that it was time to leave, and many couldn't figure out why "god" had not already "called them home."

After all, such perfection warranted immediate attention from "god."
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#435356 Apr 25, 2013
Speaking of dollar stores....when did the Five & Ten become the Dollar Store? And why was the merchandise of so much better quality when it cost five and ten cents than it is now that it costs a dollar?

Another little tidbit that no one cares about: Barbara G. Walker is far better known for her innovations in hand knitting than for her dabbling in feminism and the occult. She was the author of several knitting reference books in the 60s and 70s. Some are now being reprinted, but at one point the out-of-print books were going for several hundred dollars each! The books are good, but they're not that good.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435357 Apr 25, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Grams...thought I'd check to see if you ever posted me saying I was evil.
Are you kidding? You don't believe you ARE evil. You believe you are holy. That's the only thing that holds devout believers in the cults.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#435358 Apr 25, 2013
OldJG wrote:
More from the Roman Catholics.....
"We teach,...We declare that the Roman Church by the Providence of God holds the primacy of ordinary power over all others, and that this power of jurisdiction of the Roman Pontiff, which is truly episcopal, is immediate. Toward it, the pastors and the faithful of whatever rite and dignity, both individually and collectively, are bound by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, not only in matters which pertain to faith and morals, but also in those which concern the discipline and government of the Church spread throughout the whole world, in such a way that once the unity of communion and the profession of the same Faith has been preserved with the Roman Pontiff, there is one flock of the Church of Christ under one supreme shepherd. This is the teaching of the Catholic truth from which no one can depart without loss of faith and salvation." Pope Pius XII, Ad Apostolorum Principis (On Communism And The Church In China), Encyclical Promulgated on June 29, 1958,#46.
This only applies to the Catholic faithful, why do you care?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#435359 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Book
The written word has always been numinous, conveying a sense of awe especially to the illiterate, who admired alphabetical symbols even if they could not read them.“It is written” was another way of saying “It is so.” In a way, reading can create a magical reality that exists in the imagination, to be sure, but can be vivid enough to block out the natural world while the reading lasts. Books are the primary conveyances of all abstract ideas.
Two declarations by atheists: I don't believe in God....I hate God

John 15
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

***You see Grams, God's Word even talks about you and your hate. If I believe the nonsense you do, you'd like me just like the other atheists on here. However, I don't believe the nonsense you believe and that's why you hate so much. Tell me I'm wrong lololol

New Hazelton, Canada

#435360 Apr 25, 2013
A bible is not and never has been a symbol of holiness to me.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

No object or symbol is sacred in or of itself, as an inherent quality. Sacredness comes only from the attitude of people towards an object. A thing becomes holy because of the way people handle it or talk about it, teaching themselves, each other, and their children to feel proper awe in its presence. The numinous spirit of the object is not part of itself; it is part of human culture.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435361 Apr 25, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Two declarations by atheists: I don't believe in God....I hate God
Silly ... A person can't hate something in which the person doesn't believe.

It just doesn't exist.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435362 Apr 25, 2013

Halo

The halo was the same as the aureole in effect, being a circle drawn around or behind a head to indicate divinity. The word came from Greek halos,“threshing floor,” originally a round space where circular harvest dances were performed in the Eleusinian Mysteries, at the festival called Haloa. 1 The circular sign of the Haloa came to represent the apotheosis of its god, Dionysus incarnate in a human Triptolemus, sometimes called lasion or Iasus. So the circle around any head meant a godlike nature. Christian artists “haloized” not only God, Jesus, and Mary, but also angels, saints, Old Testament figures, apostles, martyrs, and even popes and kings.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435363 Apr 25, 2013

Sometimes, historical changes in interpretation may be recovered, so we can know both the archaic meanings of the symbol and the more recent ones—which may even be mutually contradictory, especially in the case of religious symbols.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#435364 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly ... A person can't hate something in which the person doesn't believe.
It just doesn't exist.
But I'm right about why you hate. Thanks

New Hazelton, Canada

#435365 Apr 25, 2013

Torah

The sacred scroll of a Jewish synagogue is the Sefer Torah. Book of the Law, composed of the Pentateuch (first five books of the Old Testament). The scroll itself was often used as a magical healing amulet. It was said that women’s labor pains or children’s diseases were eased if the Torah was brought from the synagogue and laid on the sufferer. However, continuing belief in the “uncleanness” of women extended to the handling of the Torah. Rabbinical ruling said that a man must not kiss the sacred scroll right after kissing his wife or child, for fear of spiritual pollution. 1

Such ideas were part and parcel of Judeo-Christian belief from the beginning of our era. According to the Book of Thomas the Contender, Jesus also spoke of the uncleanness of women in no uncertain terms:“Woe to you who love intimacy with womankind and polluted intercourse with it!”

1. Trachtenberg, 105.
2. Barnstone, 586.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#435366 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
A bible is not and never has been a symbol of holiness to me.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
No object or symbol is sacred in or of itself, as an inherent quality. Sacredness comes only from the attitude of people towards an object. A thing becomes holy because of the way people handle it or talk about it, teaching themselves, each other, and their children to feel proper awe in its presence. The numinous spirit of the object is not part of itself; it is part of human culture.
k3, p2, yo, k2tog, yo, ssk, end k2....

She was a much better knitter than an atheist.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435367 Apr 25, 2013

Blood

Medieval Christians sometimes claimed that Jewish men could menstruate as well as Jewish women, a belief that may have evolved from the early view of circumcision as a “male menstruation.”
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#435368 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If a creator created life, don't you think the creator would value all forms of life as being equal?
Why ... in your professional theo-logical opinion (sarcasm intended) do you believe non-human forms of life suffer?
Is your imaginary god a sadist?
I would rather depend on the idea that there is no reason to believe in the existence of a creator than to think that a creator would be so vile.
I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, a "professional theo-logian." If you think I am, then you are believing in something that is not real, interestingly, the same claim you accuse theists of doing.
Secondly, my god is not imaginary, nor is He a sadist. For example, He doesn't hang out in chat forums trying futily to irritate people.

All of creation suffers. That doesn't mean that God ever intended it to.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435369 Apr 25, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
But I'm right about why you hate. Thanks
If I hated, I would join your group of religious thugs that claims others are evil.

I don't hate others ... as hate is not a healthy attitude for the hater.
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#435370 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to free others from the blight of religion, is not being bogged down in trusting that religion gave me answers.
At the end of my religion journey, religion gave me nothing but dis-ease and disillusionment. That's why I left it behind.
Seems to me you are still tinkering with it.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435371 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Both Catholics and Protestants give members of their congregations exorcisms. These people are members of the congregations ... NOT outsiders.
To their own detriment,but much can be said for cleaning your own household first,before you attempt to clean other houses.The more I read your comments,I am convinced that you are on a quest to vindicate yourself of ever believing due to abuse.

The matters of the soul,which you want us to expose,or the spirit which you deny exists,are what is the malady of conscience within us all.We all need to expose that which has troubled us for so long,no matter what it is.

YES,JUNE,we have a soul and we have a spirit,that is why human beings are so complexed,or haven't you noticed? Since when are we as complexed people so easily straightened out?Many of the psychiatrists and psychologists who deal with human mental woes,are wanting themselves,and frustrated as to their limitation of reaching the crux of human misery and anguish.

The mental health practitioners have for centuries tried to alleviate human beings of the sense of guilt,and today more than ever,our institutions even though many are being closed to lack of funds,are not solving the riddles of human malcontent,and self abuses.

You can only go so far with the brain a physical organ,and the series of emotions that comprise a human life,you have to deal with the soul and spirit of a man and woman as well.AND that is truthfully done by many inexperienced,yet the most happy people are those who know without a doubt that God has redeemed them from a life oppressed by sin and disorder.

I have worked in the mental health profession on occassion,and yes I submitted to the expertise of the professionals within that practice.I agree with them for the most part of the science of the mind,but I also know that the soul and spirit are neglected in the practical care of the Mentally Ill,and they resort to their illness no matter how much is done for them by the Mental Health practitioners.It is a matter of the will as well.

Another thing you may not consider June, is the spiritual activity that attacks the minds of individuals.Many people who are oppressed and depressed,and there are growing numbers of them daily,complain of the great war in their minds,the conflicts which medical science can only dull with drugs.People from third world nations are arriving in this country in record numbers,we see many who have tremendous problems with spiritism,self mutilation,and the like,because in their countries animism and ancestral worship is practiced.Individuals complain of being oppressed by spirits or even ancestors.That is a problem,physical medicine can only drug often leaving the person listless.

The medical professions are wonderful,and we want them to stay as long as they can to help many,cure illnesses, surgical techniques to remove ailing organs or blockages.BUT the deeper problems of the human emotional and spiritual dilemma cannot be treated with drugs for a cure as to what really ills the human mind,and will.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435372 Apr 25, 2013
If I was going to hate, I would hate all people of religion that preached as though they spoke for a creator, while torturing and killing other humans.

But I don't hate them. I realize they were and are under the hypnotic spells of religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min superwilly 228,531
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Charlie Sheen 260,139
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min scaritual 743,401
Word association game (Aug '08) 27 min Kid_Tomorrow 53,421
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 28 min Kid_Tomorrow 4,239
How will the world end? (Apr '09) 32 min Kid_Tomorrow 89
Best tips for health 40 min Kid_Tomorrow 5
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 45 min UidiotRaceMAkeWor... 174,187
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr lil whispers 601,386

Top Stories People Search