Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,804
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

usa

#434193 Apr 20, 2013
marge wrote:
Hey Jethro how are you?
This is another version of the last song for my dear big sister LTM;
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
i'm doing fine,still healthy,trying to stay busy until i decide if i want to go back to work or not,dr's don't want me to,and i don't feel right about it,how are you? an LT? haven't seen her in awhile.

usa

#434194 Apr 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
So what are you waiting for I thought you were a poor man Jethro.
Call on His name.
I am poor almost,medical bills are killing me.need to win lottery.

usa

#434195 Apr 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ initiated, established and formed His One True Catholic Church over 2000 years ago--"to save sinners"----of which we ALL are--including the Pope!!!
show me where he says this,and i'll believe you,show me scripture where he says to combine pagan/christian ideals and form the catholic church in my name.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#434196 Apr 20, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
See Diet of Worms and sorry but no Pope killed him or tried to have him killed, but there was a forgery recognized by Protestant historians. You can find just about anything you want to believe its not hard. The Roman Emperor was involved.
"Meanwhile Luther’s enemies forged a set of theses on the papal ban which they published under Luther’s name, and added a bitter attack on the venality of the Roman Curia. As soon as Luther learned of this, he published his Sermon on the Ban (the original preaching of which had suggested the forgery) in order to circulate his true views. The damage had been done, however, for Emperor Maximilian, who had seen a copy of the forgery, wrote a letter to Leo X, urging that immediate action be taken against Luther. This letter and the forgery caused the pope to send Cajetan, on August 23, an official communication commanding him to arrest Luther, to absolve him if he recanted, to use the ban and interdict to deal with him and his supporters if he did not recant. On the same day he wrote Frederick the Wise, requesting him to help arrest this “son of perdition.” He also planned with Gabriel della Volta, the general of the Augustinian Eremites, to have the provincial of Saxony arrest Luther over the head of Vicar Staupitz, who still remained friendly to Luther."
Source: LW 31:255.(For any using LW electronic edition, note the typo of "August 28"- the actual text in book form reads "August 23").
"{Leo X} authorized Cajetan on August 23, in a very bulky breve (Postquam ad aures), to arrest the new heretic without delay and to gaurd him carefully until further orders from Rome. Under the same date he asked the Elector of Saxony, in a second breve, to deliver up the 'son of perdition' to Cajetan; and in a third breve to the head of the Augustinian Order, Gabriel della Volta, he asked that a brother of the Order, equipped with all necessary authority, be sent to Germany in order to seize the heretic and schismatic Martin, bind him hand and foot, and caste him into prison."
Source: Heinrich Boehmer, Road To Reformation, 227.
Friedrich the Wise

Friedrich's greatest historical merit was his protection of Martin Luther from the Court of Inquisition. His repertoire of diplomatic stalling tactics stood their test; the opponents never finding a weak point. He saw Luther as unjustly persecuted because Luther could not be found guilty of any real crime.

http://www.luther.de/en/friedr.html
Friedrich, as was his habit, formed his own opinion after exact consideration of the state of affairs by his advisers and listening to the opinion of a recognized expert, in Luther`s case Erasmus von Rotterdam.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#434197 Apr 20, 2013
who="jethro8" well you people constantly say god has a plan, and everything that happens in our lives is part of that plan,so what purpose could there possibly be for giving this poor child downs syndrome? what grand plan could constitute giving someone a deadly disease/or a mental challenge? funny you people have a double standard,god is credited for anything good,but never mentioned when something goes/is wrong,yet he is the creator and great planner of our lives and events around the world.

Hatred, jealousy, etc. caused Joseph's brothers to attempt to kill him, then sell him as a slave. He wound up in Egypt, a prisoner for some time.(Evil begets evil.)

When his brothers later feared that he would kill them, he said, "You meant what you did for evil, but GOD USED IT FOR GOOD."

God did not 'cause' or 'give' the evil...the brothers had a choice. But God USED (not 'gave') the events to save Joseph AND all of his family.

God does not stop you from doing that that you should not (have you noticed)...but He will 'work all things together for THEM THAT LOVE HIM'.

If you do not love Him, don't expect Him to pamper you.(You pack your own lunch.)

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#434198 Apr 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Cotterell has a few not on your list:
Lord Pacal of the Maya
Quetzalcoatl of Aztecs and other cultures
Krishna - the eight avatar of Vishnu in Hindu
and Jesus
Thank you.

Are you familiar with the myth of the creatrix, who impregnated herself? She had no need of a male, such as the mythical male-god that supposedly impregnated the virgin Mary.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

"The goddesses have stories to tell. One such story—far too long ignored—is that, in their original, unadulterated form, they were parthenogenetic. The word parthenogenesis comes from the Greek parthenos,'virgin' more or less, and gignesthai,'to be born.' It means, essentially, to be born of a virgin—that is, without the participation of a male. For a goddess to be 'parthenogenetic' thus means that she stands as a primordial creatrix, who requires no male partner to produce the cosmos, earth, life, matter and even other gods out of her own essence. Plentiful evidence shows that in their earliest cults, before they were subsumed under patriarchal pantheons as the wives, sisters and daughters of male gods, various female deities of the ancient Mediterranean world were indeed considered self-generating, virgin creatrixes."

Dr. Marguerite Rigoglioso, Virgin Mother Goddesses of Antiquity (1)

Prince George, Canada

#434199 Apr 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming out against the Pope is one thing. Coming out against Catholicism is another. The Popes around Luthers time were less than perfect. They deserved a public scolding. But why on Earth would Luther undo teachings from the Apostles?
Luther took from the scriptures what pleased him, just as every bible-reader is prone to repeat.

All popes wanted power on earth by feigning that they spoke for a god ... and so did Luther.

People used and still use religion as a stepping stone to get their own ways and hope that others will follow their lead.

The world is full of theologians telling tales about conflicting myths, hoping their stories will win the contest over other competing stories.

It's all very silly ... but it continues on and on and on.

I used to also try my luck at seeing if others would fall for MY lines of theology. Some did and many more didn't.

:)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#434200 Apr 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Friedrich the Wise
Friedrich's greatest historical merit was his protection of Martin Luther from the Court of Inquisition. His repertoire of diplomatic stalling tactics stood their test; the opponents never finding a weak point. He saw Luther as unjustly persecuted because Luther could not be found guilty of any real crime.
http://www.luther.de/en/friedr.html
Friedrich, as was his habit, formed his own opinion after exact consideration of the state of affairs by his advisers and listening to the opinion of a recognized expert, in Luther`s case Erasmus von Rotterdam.
Ok we will forget all the people he mercilessly butchered, we will overlook the power hungry prince who did not want to pay taxes and saw an opportunity for revolt. We will overlook your accusation of the vile pope who tried to kill him. We overlook all the historians who have discredited the legends of Luther propogated for centuries just so you can be right when I already proved your statement false. Thanks!

Thus for the last four decades the Luther-legend has not existed any longer. Serious research has taken place, and Luther and his teachings are seen in a completely different light by scholars, historians, Germanists, theologians all over the world, than they were at the beginning of the century.

Except in England. Yes, it is true. The researches and advances made in Luther studies, the German Reformation, and history during the last four decades have been utterly and completely ignored in Britain. It is not surprising that such a quite and anything but excitable philosopher as Jacques Maritain could, in a recent article on Luther, refer to “Anglo-modern stupidity”.

“I do insist on the certainty that sooner or later—once we hold power—Christianity will be overcome and the German church, without a Pope and without the Bible, and Luther, if he could be with us, would give us his blessing.”- ADOLF HITLER
(“Hitler's Speeches”, edited by Professor N. H. Baynes (Oxford, 1942), page 369).

“There is very little to be said for this coarse and foul-mouthed leader of a revolution. It is a real misfortune for humanity that he appeared just at the crisis in the Christian world. Even our burly Defender of the Faith was not a worse man, and did far less mischief. We must hope that the next swing of the pendulum will put an end to Luther's influence in Germany.”- Very Rev. W. R. Inge,(in the Church of England Newspaper”, August 4, 1944).

However, long before Hitler there were German Protestant scholars of great standing who analysed aright the part Luther played in the history of Germany.“Lutheranism played an important part in the political and military development of German Prussia,” wrote Prof. Ernst Troeltsch of Heidelberg, early in the present century.“German nationalism plus the Prussian State have made our Reich, and both have their origins in Luther,” Karl Sell

It is not always fully realised that Luther had not merely a great influence on political and social life (apart from the purely religious aspect), but that he was a political and social figure in his own times.“Luther was more of a politician than a theologian,” says Houston Stewart Chamberlain, one of his greatest admirers. He was “above all a political hero”.“It was Luther's first thought to look in the Scripture for a political reformation”. Religious and social questions mingle together in the Reformation; it was in fact quite as much a social and political revolution as a religious movement”.“Thus it was no accident that Luther was called on to take a leading part in the controversies.” Thus it happened that “Lutheranism was political”, and it is certainly with justification that a Protestant church historian calls Luther “one of the greatest politicians of Germany”(H. Hermelink in “Zeitschrift fur Kirchengeschichte”, vol. 29, 1908, p. 478).

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologeti...

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#434201 Apr 20, 2013
who="jethro8" if true,jesus was a heretic,he was considered a threat to the powers that be in his day,as his popularity grew the more of a danger he was to the paranoid higharchy,so he had to be disposed of, like so many before him who stepped out of line. god allowed people to be killed for no real reason,WHY?

Jesus was considered a heretic by the religious and legal folk...who were the REAL heretics. His display of the truth was more than they could stand; it revealed their wrongs.

Good and evil are like opposing winds. Man's will is the determining factor. We are not robots that God winds up, and turns them in a particular direction. Men DO do heinous things, murder, etc. God has given us instructions, which, if we follow, will keep us from violence. He will not judge us on what we 'might have done', while restraining us from doing wrong things. He will judge us on WHAT WE REALLY DID.

A believing, praying and obedient people ARE A FORCE AGAINST EVIL.

God does not 'allow' evil...MEN permit it or resist it.

Don't blame Him...

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#434202 Apr 20, 2013
Ella wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that last statement is really funny coming from someone who has propped himself up'to rule the world with his own BRAND of religion'. You are certainly in for a rude awakening.
I no longer tag along clinging to the tales of any of the theologians.

I now believe if I try to be kind in spite of my selfish nature, I can't do better than my best.

All that other debris that filled my mind with nonsense for so many years has gone into the garbage where I believe it belongs.

Prince George, Canada

#434203 Apr 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry June! But by your own "prodigal son" rebellious and defiant choice, you have "chosen" to be left out!!
I'm more than content to be left out of all religious cults.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#434204 Apr 20, 2013
Leprechauns.

There are lots of books, movies and fairy tales dealing with Leprechauns. People talk about Leprechauns all the time. Leprechauns even have a popular brand of breakfast cereal. But that does not mean that Leprechauns exist. There is no physical evidence for the existence of Leprechauns. Not a single bit. Therefore, it is obvious to any normal person that Leprechauns are imaginary.

If you think about it, you will realize that there is no difference between God and Leprechauns.

Lots of people talk about God as though he exists, but there is no actual evidence for God's existence.

For example:

God has never left any physical evidence of his existence on earth.

All historical gods were imaginary and we know it.(except for yours of course)

None of Jesus' "miracles" left any physical evidence either.

God has never spoken to modern man, for example by taking over all the television stations and broadcasting a rational message to everyone.

The resurrected Jesus has never appeared to anyone since the Biblical myths. If then, why not now?

The Bible we have is provably incorrect and is obviously the work of primitive men rather than God.

When we analyze prayer with statistics, we find no evidence that God is "answering prayers."

Huge, amazing atrocities like the Holocaust and AIDS occur without any response from God.

And so on…

There is absolutely no evidence indicating that God exists.

Prince George, Canada

#434205 Apr 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD OF BEEN INTERESTING,you should give it another shot,look what happened to the lady who wrote harry potter books,first person to becaome a billionare for being a writer.
The very idea of fame scares me. I'm very content with a quiet life.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#434206 Apr 20, 2013
marge wrote:
Hey 7th, for you, Happy Sabbath!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Pssz5HH7Cp8XX
Thank You a beautiful song Marge !!!
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#434207 Apr 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
WARNING SOMEONE ON HERE IS CARRYING A VIRUS AND DOESN'T KNOW IT,I LEFT ABRUPTLY LAST NIGHT BECAUSE I GOT HIT WITH IT,I GOT HACKED AND 29 VIRUSES GOT INTO MY MACHINE,SO BE CAREFUL.
Yes it appeared on mine as well but my anti-virus caught it.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#434208 Apr 20, 2013
Most Quakers believe that how a person lives their life is a sacrament

I like this belief.

Prince George, Canada

#434209 Apr 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>haven't you figured it out yet? your not catholic so you don't matter,like me,if you don't belong to "the church" (snicker) you can't get into heaven,it's true, the pope said so,and he is infallible in devine teachings.
All people in all religious cults believe that their gods or goddesses give them "heads-up" treatment. If that were not so, they would not be in the cults.

Having been under the spell of religion, I understand that it was a cosy, fuzzy feeling to believe that the all-powerful god was a friend on which I could always rely.

But the extreme suffering of non-human forms of life added to all human suffering niggled at me, until I finally decided that religion didn't make any sense whatsoever, and that there had to be a more credible explanation.

Prince George, Canada

#434210 Apr 20, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok we will forget all the people he mercilessly butchered, we will overlook the power hungry prince who did not want to pay taxes and saw an opportunity for revolt. We will overlook your accusation of the vile pope who tried to kill him. We overlook all the historians who have discredited the legends of Luther propogated for centuries just so you can be right when I already proved your statement false. Thanks!
Thus for the last four decades the Luther-legend has not existed any longer. Serious research has taken place, and Luther and his teachings are seen in a completely different light by scholars, historians, Germanists, theologians all over the world, than they were at the beginning of the century.
Except in England. Yes, it is true. The researches and advances made in Luther studies, the German Reformation, and history during the last four decades have been utterly and completely ignored in Britain. It is not surprising that such a quite and anything but excitable philosopher as Jacques Maritain could, in a recent article on Luther, refer to “Anglo-modern stupidity”.
“I do insist on the certainty that sooner or later—once we hold power—Christianity will be overcome and the German church, without a Pope and without the Bible, and Luther, if he could be with us, would give us his blessing.”- ADOLF HITLER
(“Hitler's Speeches”, edited by Professor N. H. Baynes (Oxford, 1942), page 369).
“There is very little to be said for this coarse and foul-mouthed leader of a revolution. It is a real misfortune for humanity that he appeared just at the crisis in the Christian world. Even our burly Defender of the Faith was not a worse man, and did far less mischief. We must hope that the next swing of the pendulum will put an end to Luther's influence in Germany.”- Very Rev. W. R. Inge,(in the Church of England Newspaper”, August 4, 1944).
However, long before Hitler there were German Protestant scholars of great standing who analysed aright the part Luther played in the history of Germany.“Lutheranism played an important part in the political and military development of German Prussia,” wrote Prof. Ernst Troeltsch of Heidelberg, early in the present century.“German nationalism plus the Prussian State have made our Reich, and both have their origins in Luther,” Karl Sell
It is not always fully realised that Luther had not merely a great influence on political and social life (apart from the purely religious aspect), but that he was a political and social figure in his own times.“Luther was more of a politician than a theologian,” says Houston Stewart Chamberlain, one of his greatest admirers. He was “above all a political hero”.“It was Luther's first thought to look in the Scripture for a political reformation”. Religious and social questions mingle together in the Reformation; it was in fact quite as much a social and political revolution as a religious movement”.“Thus it was no accident that Luther was called on to take a leading part in the controversies.” Thus it happened that “Lutheranism was political”, and it is certainly with justification that a Protestant church historian calls Luther “one of the greatest politicians of Germany”(H. Hermelink in “Zeitschrift fur Kirchengeschichte”, vol. 29, 1908, p. 478).
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologeti...
I'm not taking sides with any of them. The popes, the prince known as Friederich and Luther all ordered the killing of others.

It was their "business."

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#434211 Apr 20, 2013
“In a controversy, the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for truth and have begun striving for ourselves”

Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Prince George, Canada

#434212 Apr 20, 2013
Here is another fable on which the ancient people relied.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

"Crishna was born of a chaste virgin, called Devaki, who, on account of her purity, was selected to become the 'mother of God.'"

Doane, Bible Myths and Their Parallels in Other Religions

http://www.truthbeknown.com/virgin.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The World Will End On May 21, 2011 (Aug '08) 3 min Ugly Truth from d... 16,456
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 96,771
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Anon 776,203
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min lil whispers 605,142
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min onemale 265,261
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 31 min WasteWater 5,122
21 Dead Babies Found on Riverbank in China (Mar '10) 32 min -TheExam- 670
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 58 min WildWeirdWillie 175,724
More from around the web