Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,923)

Showing posts 418,441 - 418,460 of511,603
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
This poster implies the catholic faith has been so Jesus-like when it came to the treatment of their Jewish brothers.
Which is why Hitler copied the actions of a former Pope - ghettos and forced to wear symbols.
(This poster further reveals the delusion.)
If you choose to read this perhaps will gain a greater perspective of the broader view of the times.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/librar...
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>daily mass is the creation of the pagan/christian church so it can make a daily dollar.
There is no collection at weekday Masses.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

<quoted text>
"Everytime God reveals Himself in a scientific manner"
Please explain what you mean by "scientific manner?"
How was science able to observe and test that so-called miracle?
If god really did that, why not do it where it can be scientifically confirmed?
It's a game. God never leaves any evidence. Even the Catholic church doesn't recognize that "miracle" as an article of faith.
So much for physical "proof."
The aftermath has proven to be embarrassing and absurd. Your own church has denied all requests for a cooperative scientific study. Mary's supposed message has been an embarrassment that had to be toned down by the time the last "secret" was revealed.
You wouldn't buy a used car based on such "evidence."
My points exactly. You wouldn't believe in God if He shouted verbally in your ear, "Hey dummy, I'm real"
You'd just assume your mind played a trick on ya.

If I was God, you would get nothing in the scientific form to 'show you I exist'. Judas got the ultimate evidence that God exists, and he betrayed Him anyway. Peter got the ultimate evidence, and He denied Our Lord in His time of suffering. They saw the miracles. They knew Jesus was the Messiah.
Why would God physically reveal Himself to the likes of you guys? What would you do then?
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly dear radical. It didn't happen. Jesus never went about undoing Judaism. He didn't start a new religion. He fulfilled Judaism. The Jews were supposed to follow the Christ and many did. The Catholic Church is the continuation of Judaism.
The Hebrew Scriptures are read in the Catholic Church everyday. There is only one messiah and it was Jesus Christ- the founder of The Catholic faith.
This poster writes - "The Jews were supposed to follow the Christ and many did."

So how would Jesus want his people who didn't believe to be treated?

1... What does Jesus tell us in the Bible?

2... What has been the reality?

Is a direct and honest reply even impossible, while maintaining the delusion?
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
If you choose to read this perhaps will gain a greater perspective of the broader view of the times.
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/librar...
No point. Totally biased source.

Shouldn't "the times" be shaped by faith in your god?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think this is somehow God's punishment for something he did?
My oldest son is metally handicap and you are absolutely right. These children bring joy to everyone they come in contact with. It is a challenge at times and I will sincerely keep your son and his wife in my prayers.

What is your Grandson's name?

**and don't give Jethro any answers to his ignorant question.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
My points exactly. You wouldn't believe in God if He shouted verbally in your ear, "Hey dummy, I'm real"
You'd just assume your mind played a trick on ya.
If I was God, you would get nothing in the scientific form to 'show you I exist'. Judas got the ultimate evidence that God exists, and he betrayed Him anyway. Peter got the ultimate evidence, and He denied Our Lord in His time of suffering. They saw the miracles. They knew Jesus was the Messiah.
Why would God physically reveal Himself to the likes of you guys? What would you do then?
Why appear to "my kind of person?" To save me. In fact, if you read the Bible, you'd know that.

Jesus appeared to many folks in the Bible. Why did he stop?

He's imaginary.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

<quoted text>
How can I prove your delusion?
I am aware of the supposed miracle, but your own church doesn't even make the claims that you make.
So I'll have to leave that "homework" to you.
But thanks for validating my point. Clever excuse btw.
My own Church recognizes the Miracle of The Sun as a reality. The scientist present gave testimony to validate the event.
However, the apparitions of The Blessed Mother to the girls is a little different. Although the CC acknowledges it happened, they will not take the 'secrets' or any other messages from Mary as anything other than a 'private revelation' to the little children. In other words, the Church will not say "Mary said this, Mary said that" . They would say, "the little girl Lucia says Mary says" . And That is not something that can be taken as an additional revelation of the faith, given by the Apostles. Mary would understand that as well as anybody.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The blood shed by those in religion is a terrible crime against humanity.
What a shame!
I suggest that you "get your facts straight" before you "point fingers" and exaggerate your "opinion" regarding the murders and killings that have occurred by religious beliefs. In other words before you call the Religious kettle black, maybe you should concentrate on cleaning out your own Political Pot of Polluted Propaganda--first!
Mass killings under Communist regimes
Mass killings occurred under some Communist regimes during the twentieth century with an estimated death toll numbering between 85 and 100 million.[1] Scholarship focuses on the causes of mass killings in single societies, though some claims of common causes for mass killings have been made. Some higher estimates of mass killings include not only mass murders or executions that took place during the elimination of political opponents, civil wars, terror campaigns, and land reforms, but also lives lost due to war, famine, disease, and exhaustion in labor camps. There are scholars who believe that government policies and mistakes in management contributed to these calamities, and, based on that conclusion combine all these deaths under the categories "mass killings", democide, politicide, "classicide", or loosely defined genocide. According to these scholars, the total death toll of the mass killings defined in this way amounts to many tens of millions; however, the validity of this approach is questioned by other scholars. As of 2011, academic consensus has not been achieved on causes of large scale killings by states, including by states governed by communists. In particular, the number of comparative studies suggesting causes is limited. The highest death tolls that have been documented in communist states occurred in the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin, in the People's Republic of China under Mao Zedong, and in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. The estimates of the number of non-combatants killed by these three regimes alone range from a low of 21 million to a high of 70 million.[2][dubious discuss] There have also been killings on a smaller scale in North Korea, Vietnam, and some Eastern European and African countries.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think this is somehow God's punishment for something he did?
Merry Christmas Anthony! ;-) I can't believe its still snowing. Just so you know I read your post. Sorry I dont always respond a time thing. I have for the most part just been posting links to Catholics on a topic in the hopes they will read and edify as I know you have.

Well Anthony I know a couple of people who place people with needs in the work force. To be honest I was once at a McDonalds and told the owner his employee with Downs was the best one he had and I meant it. I do hope you get that fishing buddy and he becomes all he can. I did pray for you Mom and I appreciate your prayers and support on that. So doing some snoboarding before it melts. My nephew is a snoboard and skateboarder. These guys today make Tony Hawk look really old school. Gymnastics is now part of the deal. I have to stretch. lol
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

<quoted text>
No point. Totally biased source.
Shouldn't "the times" be shaped by faith in your god?
If you don't wish to read a counter to your blanket statement with a balanced view then there is nothing to discuss. Thanks.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

<quoted text>
This poster writes - "The Jews were supposed to follow the Christ and many did."
So how would Jesus want his people who didn't believe to be treated?
1... What does Jesus tell us in the Bible?
2... What has been the reality?
Is a direct and honest reply even impossible, while maintaining the delusion?
They say it would be more likely for a tornado to tear through a junk yard and leave behind a perfectly assembled 747 than life beginning out of nothing.

You believe life just happened out of nothing?
Who is maintaining the delusion here?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly dear radical. It didn't happen. Jesus never went about undoing Judaism. He didn't start a new religion. He fulfilled Judaism. The Jews were supposed to follow the Christ and many did. The Catholic Church is the continuation of Judaism.
The Hebrew Scriptures are read in the Catholic Church everyday. There is only one messiah and it was Jesus Christ- the founder of The Catholic faith.
As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

As touching the Gentiles - In regard to the Gentile converts. It might be expedient for Paul to do what could not be enjoined on the Gentiles. They could not command the Gentile converts to observe those ceremonies, while yet it might be proper, for the sake of peace, that the converts to Christianity from among the Jews should regard them. The conduct of the Christians at Jerusalem in giving this advice, and of Paul in following it, may be easily vindicated. If it be objected, as it has been by infidels, that it looks like double-dealing; that it was designed to deceive the Jews in Jerusalem, and to make them believe that Paul actually conformed to the ceremonial law, when his conduct among the Gentiles showed that he did not, we may reply:

(1) That the observance of that law was not necessary in order to salvation;

(2) That it would have been improper to have enjoined its observance on the Gentile converts as necessary, and therefore it was never done;

(3) That when the Jews urged its observance as necessary to justification and salvation, Paul strenuously opposed this view of it everywhere;

(4) Yet that, as a matter of expediency, he did not oppose its being observed either by the Jews, or by the converts made among the Jews.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

<quoted text>
Why appear to "my kind of person?" To save me. In fact, if you read the Bible, you'd know that.
Jesus appeared to many folks in the Bible. Why did he stop?
He's imaginary.
So an actual full bodied visit by Jesus Christ, is what would 'save' you?

What if Jesus lays out a certain set of rules for you during this visit? What if He ends up disagreeing with your politics?
Would you still embrace Him? I mean, God would be proven to exist for you...
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Four things are prohibited in this decree:

1. Pollutions of idols;

2fornication;

3. things strangled;

4. blood.

By the first, Pollutions of Idols, or, as it is in Acts 15:25, meats offered to idols, not only all idolatry was forbidden, but eating things offered in sacrifice to idols, knowing that they were thus offered, and joining with idolaters in their sacred feasts, which were always an incentive either to idolatry itself, or to the impure acts generally attendant on such festivals.

By the second, Fornication, all uncleanness of every kind was prohibited; for &#960;&#959;&#961; &#957;&#949;&#953; &#945; not only means fornication, but adultery, incestuous mixtures, and especially the prostitution which was so common at the idol temples, viz. in Cyprus, at the worship of Venus; and the shocking disorders exhibited in the Bacchanalia, Lupercalia, and several others.

By the third, Things Strangled, we are to understand the flesh of those animals which were strangled for the purpose of keeping the blood in the body, as such animals were esteemed a greater delicacy.

By the fourth, Blood, we are to understand, not only the thing itself, for the reasons which I have assigned in the note on Genesis 9:4, and for others detailed at the end of this chapter; but also all cruelty, manslaughter, murder, etc., as some of the ancient fathers have understood it.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

From blood. The use of blood was prohibited by the Mosaic law (Le 17:14 De 12:16,23), and for wise reasons this prohibition was extended to Gentiles. The Roman epicures were wont to drown fowls in wine and then use the flesh. It was a common thing to drink wine mingled with blood. The only way to strike at these savage practices was to prohibit its use.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
Four things are prohibited in this decree:
1. Pollutions of idols;
2fornication;
3. things strangled;
4. blood.
By the first, Pollutions of Idols, or, as it is in Acts 15:25, meats offered to idols, not only all idolatry was forbidden, but eating things offered in sacrifice to idols, knowing that they were thus offered, and joining with idolaters in their sacred feasts, which were always an incentive either to idolatry itself, or to the impure acts generally attendant on such festivals.
By the second, Fornication, all uncleanness of every kind was prohibited; for &#960;&#959;&#961; &#957;&#949;&#953; &#945; not only means fornication, but adultery, incestuous mixtures, and especially the prostitution which was so common at the idol temples, viz. in Cyprus, at the worship of Venus; and the shocking disorders exhibited in the Bacchanalia, Lupercalia, and several others.
By the third, Things Strangled, we are to understand the flesh of those animals which were strangled for the purpose of keeping the blood in the body, as such animals were esteemed a greater delicacy.
By the fourth, Blood, we are to understand, not only the thing itself, for the reasons which I have assigned in the note on Genesis 9:4, and for others detailed at the end of this chapter; but also all cruelty, manslaughter, murder, etc., as some of the ancient fathers have understood it.
What in thee Heck are you babbling about?

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
ooh not really.'ROMAN' Catholicism did not exist then, and it doesn't really exist now. In a theological sense anyway.
I never mentioned "Roman" Catholicism. I mentioned Catholicism. They were the first group to take the title of Christian, but not the last by far. Protesters immediately came from all angles right from the beginning of Christianity, claiming to have the one and only truth in their theologies, and it has never ended to this day, as is proof from the conflicting theologies noted on this forum.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

15:7-21 We see from the words purifying their hearts by faith, and the address of St. Peter, that justification by faith, and sanctification by the Holy Ghost, cannot be separated; and that both are the gift of God.

We have great cause to bless God that we have heard the gospel. May we have that faith which the great Searcher of hearts approves, and attests by the seal of the Holy Spirit.

Then our hearts and consciences will be purified from the guilt of sin, and we shall be freed from the burdens some try to lay upon the disciples of Christ.

Paul and Barnabas showed by plain matters of fact, that God owned the preaching of the pure gospel to the Gentiles without the law of Moses; therefore to press that law upon them, was to undo what God had done.

The opinion of James was, that the Gentile converts ought not to be troubled about Jewish rites, but that they should abstain from meats offered to idols, so that they might show their hatred of idolatry.

Also, that they should be cautioned against fornication, which was not abhorred by the Gentiles as it should be, and even formed a part of some of their rites.

They were counselled to abstain from things strangled, and from eating blood; this was forbidden by the law of Moses, and also here, from reverence to the blood of the sacrifices, which being then still offered, it would needlessly grieve the Jewish converts, and further prejudice the unconverted Jews.

Let converts be warned to avoid all appearances of the evils which they formerly practised, or are likely to be tempted to; and caution them to use Christian liberty with moderation and prudence.
Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 418,441 - 418,460 of511,603
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

644 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Arthritis Pain 7 min andet1987 25
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Aerobatty 216,248
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min who 250,253
Opposite Of Truth 10 min dad of 3 3
Am looking for a good wealthy family to adopt m... (Oct '13) 13 min dad of 3 37
private money lender in glasgow/south lanarkshi... (Feb '13) 14 min lalka 44
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Divinity Surgeon 679,159
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 27 min Toby 89,370
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 1 hr zoelitchfieldx 215