Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 545,061
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
marge

Ames, IA

#434001 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly dear radical. It didn't happen. Jesus never went about undoing Judaism. He didn't start a new religion. He fulfilled Judaism. The Jews were supposed to follow the Christ and many did. The Catholic Church is the continuation of Judaism.
The Hebrew Scriptures are read in the Catholic Church everyday. There is only one messiah and it was Jesus Christ- the founder of The Catholic faith.
As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."
marge

Ames, IA

#434002 Apr 19, 2013
As touching the Gentiles - In regard to the Gentile converts. It might be expedient for Paul to do what could not be enjoined on the Gentiles. They could not command the Gentile converts to observe those ceremonies, while yet it might be proper, for the sake of peace, that the converts to Christianity from among the Jews should regard them. The conduct of the Christians at Jerusalem in giving this advice, and of Paul in following it, may be easily vindicated. If it be objected, as it has been by infidels, that it looks like double-dealing; that it was designed to deceive the Jews in Jerusalem, and to make them believe that Paul actually conformed to the ceremonial law, when his conduct among the Gentiles showed that he did not, we may reply:

(1) That the observance of that law was not necessary in order to salvation;

(2) That it would have been improper to have enjoined its observance on the Gentile converts as necessary, and therefore it was never done;

(3) That when the Jews urged its observance as necessary to justification and salvation, Paul strenuously opposed this view of it everywhere;

(4) Yet that, as a matter of expediency, he did not oppose its being observed either by the Jews, or by the converts made among the Jews.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#434003 Apr 19, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Why appear to "my kind of person?" To save me. In fact, if you read the Bible, you'd know that.
Jesus appeared to many folks in the Bible. Why did he stop?
He's imaginary.
So an actual full bodied visit by Jesus Christ, is what would 'save' you?

What if Jesus lays out a certain set of rules for you during this visit? What if He ends up disagreeing with your politics?
Would you still embrace Him? I mean, God would be proven to exist for you...
marge

Ames, IA

#434004 Apr 19, 2013
Four things are prohibited in this decree:

1. Pollutions of idols;

2fornication;

3. things strangled;

4. blood.

By the first, Pollutions of Idols, or, as it is in Acts 15:25, meats offered to idols, not only all idolatry was forbidden, but eating things offered in sacrifice to idols, knowing that they were thus offered, and joining with idolaters in their sacred feasts, which were always an incentive either to idolatry itself, or to the impure acts generally attendant on such festivals.

By the second, Fornication, all uncleanness of every kind was prohibited; for &#960;&#959;&#961; &#957;&#949;&#953; &#945; not only means fornication, but adultery, incestuous mixtures, and especially the prostitution which was so common at the idol temples, viz. in Cyprus, at the worship of Venus; and the shocking disorders exhibited in the Bacchanalia, Lupercalia, and several others.

By the third, Things Strangled, we are to understand the flesh of those animals which were strangled for the purpose of keeping the blood in the body, as such animals were esteemed a greater delicacy.

By the fourth, Blood, we are to understand, not only the thing itself, for the reasons which I have assigned in the note on Genesis 9:4, and for others detailed at the end of this chapter; but also all cruelty, manslaughter, murder, etc., as some of the ancient fathers have understood it.
marge

Ames, IA

#434005 Apr 19, 2013
From blood. The use of blood was prohibited by the Mosaic law (Le 17:14 De 12:16,23), and for wise reasons this prohibition was extended to Gentiles. The Roman epicures were wont to drown fowls in wine and then use the flesh. It was a common thing to drink wine mingled with blood. The only way to strike at these savage practices was to prohibit its use.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#434006 Apr 19, 2013
marge wrote:
Four things are prohibited in this decree:
1. Pollutions of idols;
2fornication;
3. things strangled;
4. blood.
By the first, Pollutions of Idols, or, as it is in Acts 15:25, meats offered to idols, not only all idolatry was forbidden, but eating things offered in sacrifice to idols, knowing that they were thus offered, and joining with idolaters in their sacred feasts, which were always an incentive either to idolatry itself, or to the impure acts generally attendant on such festivals.
By the second, Fornication, all uncleanness of every kind was prohibited; for &#960;&#959;&#961; &#957;&#949;&#953; &#945; not only means fornication, but adultery, incestuous mixtures, and especially the prostitution which was so common at the idol temples, viz. in Cyprus, at the worship of Venus; and the shocking disorders exhibited in the Bacchanalia, Lupercalia, and several others.
By the third, Things Strangled, we are to understand the flesh of those animals which were strangled for the purpose of keeping the blood in the body, as such animals were esteemed a greater delicacy.
By the fourth, Blood, we are to understand, not only the thing itself, for the reasons which I have assigned in the note on Genesis 9:4, and for others detailed at the end of this chapter; but also all cruelty, manslaughter, murder, etc., as some of the ancient fathers have understood it.
What in thee Heck are you babbling about?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#434007 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
ooh not really.'ROMAN' Catholicism did not exist then, and it doesn't really exist now. In a theological sense anyway.
I never mentioned "Roman" Catholicism. I mentioned Catholicism. They were the first group to take the title of Christian, but not the last by far. Protesters immediately came from all angles right from the beginning of Christianity, claiming to have the one and only truth in their theologies, and it has never ended to this day, as is proof from the conflicting theologies noted on this forum.
marge

Ames, IA

#434008 Apr 19, 2013
15:7-21 We see from the words purifying their hearts by faith, and the address of St. Peter, that justification by faith, and sanctification by the Holy Ghost, cannot be separated; and that both are the gift of God.

We have great cause to bless God that we have heard the gospel. May we have that faith which the great Searcher of hearts approves, and attests by the seal of the Holy Spirit.

Then our hearts and consciences will be purified from the guilt of sin, and we shall be freed from the burdens some try to lay upon the disciples of Christ.

Paul and Barnabas showed by plain matters of fact, that God owned the preaching of the pure gospel to the Gentiles without the law of Moses; therefore to press that law upon them, was to undo what God had done.

The opinion of James was, that the Gentile converts ought not to be troubled about Jewish rites, but that they should abstain from meats offered to idols, so that they might show their hatred of idolatry.

Also, that they should be cautioned against fornication, which was not abhorred by the Gentiles as it should be, and even formed a part of some of their rites.

They were counselled to abstain from things strangled, and from eating blood; this was forbidden by the law of Moses, and also here, from reverence to the blood of the sacrifices, which being then still offered, it would needlessly grieve the Jewish converts, and further prejudice the unconverted Jews.

Let converts be warned to avoid all appearances of the evils which they formerly practised, or are likely to be tempted to; and caution them to use Christian liberty with moderation and prudence.
Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary.

Prince George, Canada

#434009 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler?? You take the worst madman in the history of the world,
The pooes were all madmen, ordering the torture and slaughter of Jews left and right, calling them ALL "Christ-killers."

Hitler learned what his Catholic heritage taught him.

Prince George, Canada

#434010 Apr 19, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You, June, have become an "expert" at trashing (any and all religion),
I hope so. I wouldn't want to take sides concerning who owns the one and only truthful mythology.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#434011 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly dear radical. It didn't happen. Jesus never went about undoing Judaism. He didn't start a new religion. He fulfilled Judaism.
So then why aren't you a Jew? Catholics should strive to be perfected Jews, not Christians.

Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#434012 Apr 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The pooes were all madmen, ordering the torture and slaughter of Jews left and right, calling them ALL "Christ-killers."
Hitler learned what his Catholic heritage taught him.
ridiculous June. Not worth engaging in a discussion about.
marge

Ames, IA

#434013 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What in thee Heck are you babbling about?
You said 'The Catholic Church is the continuation of Judaism'

I was showing you how it's not so or shouldn't be.

Prince George, Canada

#434014 Apr 19, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I prove your delusion?
I am aware of the supposed miracle, but your own church doesn't even make the claims that you make.
Maybe this will help a little. You have a proficient story-teller to explain "miracles."

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

Catholic Miracles

And Forsyth’s Italy (p. 344), written by a highly accredited author, tells us that a withered elm tree was suddenly restored to full life and vigor by coming in contact with the body of St. Zenobis, and that this miracle took place in the most public part of the town, in the presence of many thousands of people; that “it is recorded by contemporary historians, and inscribed upon a marble column now standing where the tree stood.”
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#434015 Apr 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."
Learn what Christianity really is and not what your false teachers say. Don't be a victim to these self proclaimed Ministers.

www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/schoemanintv...

Prince George, Canada

#434016 Apr 19, 2013
to be a proficient story-teller

Prince George, Canada

#434017 Apr 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
ridiculous June. Not worth engaging in a discussion about.
Of course it's not worth engaging in, that is why you don't engage. The popes were nuttier than fruitcakes. It must have been part of their Catholic imperfections as they strived to be perfected Jews.

Prince George, Canada

#434018 Apr 19, 2013
marge wrote:
15:7-21 We see from the words purifying their hearts by faith, and the address of St. Peter,
It's all hocus pocus.

There was no SAINT Peter. Had Peter lived, he would have thought of himself as a perfected Jew ... NOT as a Catholic pope.

Prince George, Canada

#434019 Apr 19, 2013
It's tragic that people could be so easily fooled by scamming authors of junk-theology.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

Catholic Miracles

The editor of “The Official Memoirs” declares that during the Italian war in 1797, several pictures of the virgin Mary, situated in different parts of the country, were seen to open and shut their eyes for the space of six or seven months, and that no less than sixty thousand people actually saw this miracle performed, including many bishops, deacons, cardinals, and other officers of the church, whose names are given.
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#434020 Apr 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that I am a god, that I speak for a god, or that there is a god anywhere in existence.
You don't believe in Allah, so does that mean that you believe you are your own god ... OR that you only value an image of a personalized god that suits YOUR fancy?
If you believe truth is relative then you do believe you are your own god. You make your own rules as you go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 2 min yon 3,359
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 743,775
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 7 min scirocco 118,286
I Will Plow My Mom In Week By Monday 5/28 (May '12) 17 min jaden 42
Got any good jokes?? (Mar '07) 18 min Ricky F 1,807
How to tell when a Topix poster doesn't have a ... 20 min Wildcard7 19
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 42 min Wordsworth 4,598
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 45 min Aura Mytha 260,191
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 2 hr sandeeprajj 978
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 601,416