Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,915)

Showing posts 418,281 - 418,300 of530,326
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>inherited,?? you joking right? everything inside the walls of vatican city is stolen property, taken from lands conquered by the romans,the church did not inherit anything except the art of deception.
More anti-catholic BS!.... You, jethro8 have become "inundated with corrupted and perverted sources of "fictitious (National Inquirer kind of) trash news and distorted history that is "nothing but editorialized (opinions)---which is nothing new to ANY of us Catholics!!!

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
The orthodox Catholics canonized the Bible...(which means they compiled it...Put the books together)...They did not write the Bible...
After a few centuries of squabbling and killing each other, the Catholics "approved" all that they compiled in the bible. So when you read the bible, study the bible, and interpret the bible ... I suggest you remember that whatever was compiled IN the new testament was first APPROVED by Catholics.

Because the ex-Catholic Protesters (Protestants) came long after the Catholics ... it was the Protestants that CHANGED the thought-processes of the meanings of the bible with their own interpretations ... which is exactly what occurred when the ex-Jew Catholics morphed the old testament into the new testament and changed the whole thought-process from Judaism to Catholicism.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
The Roman Catholics put themselves down ...When they attempt to control the love and grace of God by claiming that they are the only one true apostolic Church....
So according to you the Protestants were and are aligned to the love of a god, and the Catholics are the evil deceivers of the supposed HOLY word ... HUH???

I suggest you study the founder of the Protestant religion and see what interpretations he took from the new testament.

Martin Luther was every bit as blood-thirsty as were the popes.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following…………..

Luther believed that the sword of government had been given by God to the princes, and the peasants, even though treated unjustly, were not justified in taking the sword into their own hands. In his eyes they had become robbers and murderers, faithless and perjured. In his infamous essay, in May, 1525, Against the Robbing and Murdering Hordes of Peasants, Luther called on the nobles to use any means available to suppress the rebels.“Smite, slay, and stab, secretly and openly … as if among mad dogs,” he urged,“lest the whole land be ruined.” The peasants deserved death, Luther argued, because they had broken their oath of fealty, resorted to rioting and plundering, and masked their terrible sins with the name of the Gospel.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>no,he would do that,a few here do that,if you put them to the test,they stay away from here until it is forgotten,one person started a whole new forum because they couldn't handle the truth.knowledgable people scare the religious.
The issue is whether or not any of us actually post as being aligned to truth. I can't know if what I post from history is, or is not based on truth, as the winners and losers of any situation write what most pleases them, and so history itself is questionable.

Being on threads of forums IS confronting, but that confrontation can help us to understand that there are many ways of perceiving issues, and that is about all the benefit that we can learn from each other.

Other people have taught me by their words to perceive from different angles rather than just my own narrow way of perceiving, and I'm thankful to them for so doing.

I've been called ignorant many times, and I agree that I am ignorant. They didn't suggest anything I already didn't comprehend in that regard.

:)

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>fear was one of their weapons,parents used it to,to help keep their children from mis-behaving.
I used to believe that fear was all that held people in religion, but now I see that is not always the case.

The modern Pagans worship a goddess that they suggest loves unconditionally.

And the man who refers to himself at the second coming of Jesus preaches (from the new testament) that there never was a devil and there is no sin and that the "god" loves every body.

I watched a program on Primetime OWN.

The man who calls himself the second coming of Jesus told the person interviewing him (verbatim)... "So you tell the millions of followers I have ...’Dat guy's a liar.’ You know what dey gonna say?...‘I prefer his lies.’"

Here he is in person … http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>fear was one of their weapons,parents used it to,to help keep their children from mis-behaving.in my house it was simple you stepped out of line you got smacked right back into place,and it worked,a good old butt kicking now an then will keep a child in place.i was the wild one in the family,the little daredevil,not afraid to try anything type.
"Spare the rod and spoil the child" was a favorite "reason" for many devout religious believers to beat children. And peer pressure among the parents escalated the abuse, as a child that "talked back" was perceived as not having parents that controlled the child. So to prevent such harsh judgment from other parents, many parents beat their kids to make sure the neighbors would think they were indeed "good" GOD-fearing parents.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
After a few centuries of squabbling and killing each other, the Catholics "approved" all that they compiled in the bible. So when you read the bible, study the bible, and interpret the bible ... I suggest you remember that whatever was compiled IN the new testament was first APPROVED by Catholics.
Because the ex-Catholic Protesters (Protestants) came long after the Catholics ... it was the Protestants that CHANGED the thought-processes of the meanings of the bible with their own interpretations ... which is exactly what occurred when the ex-Jew Catholics morphed the old testament into the new testament and changed the whole thought-process from Judaism to Catholicism.
Most of your post is correct accept the first sentence. Catholics weren't killing each other prior to the compilation of the NT. But, they were being killed by the Roman Empire. At least 30 Bishops of Rome (Popes) lived and died prior to the NT. Most were executed.
This quote doesn't exactly fit your post, but I like it anyway.
"I would far rather hear of a rival to my throne, then another Bishop of Rome"
Empire Decius upon beheading Pope Fabian in 250 AD.
This quote says allot about a couple things.
1. The Papacy was seen as a threat to the Empire.
2. The Roman Empire saw the Church - not sacred scripture - as a enemy.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

[QUOTE who="jethro8this time someone who is a world leader,who is able to solve problems not through war but through words.[/QUOTE]

I believe that many wars were avoided by leaders who calmed the situation with common-sense words.

One man of Russian-decent comes to mind. But for his calm attitude, other Russians in a submarine would have started a major war.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The Man Who Saved the World
Watch the Full Episode

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/episodes/the-...

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>if everyone thought alike not much would get accomplished,think about it.
That's true in one context, but when people kill each other over whose myths are aligned to one or another supposed deity, most certainly nothing can be accomplished except to spill more blood.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>loved it,you have a gift of word,hope you use it.ever consider writing a book? no joke.
I wrote the makings of a book at one time.

I was in religion at the time, and the title I was going to choose was "The atheist and the preacher." One woman who read it said she wanted more, so I guess it would have been of interest to at least some people. The two characters grew up together and one man became an atheist and one a preacher, and although they stayed friends, they couldn't agree on what they believed. The book would have been the discussions they had as they both shared experiences from their lives. Without indulging the names of members of his congregations, the preacher shared his confusion about how to counsel them with their problems ... and the atheist of course wanted to know why the preacher put such faith in myth, etc.

Anyway, it died from lack of enthusiasm from me.

Thanks for the compliment.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
tell me ms. June VanDerMark,what are your thoughts of ancient aliens,that supposedly visited earth thousands of years ago,
Archaeologists have dug up remains of our ancient ancestors, and the thought of those ape-like creatures riding in on a modernized space ship doesn't fit together well in my mind.

I believe we evolved on earth and simply morphed over millions of years into what we are today.

As for the technology mystifying us ... I should hope that scientists keep an open mind that maybe other people learned to use other means, such as maybe harnessing the power of "sound-waves" to lift those huge rocks without effort.

Technology today is different than it was in those ancient civilizations ... but from my perception, those ancient people came across some technology that was lost, and no longer exists in our era.

Arrogance often keeps us from learning, and the modern scientists, as is the case with all of us, are not immune to arrogance.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Pad wrote:
<quoted text>The religious if aware of their true identity to what they believe,realize that the body is temporal,and the spirit and soul live on beyond the mortal remains of what lies in the grave.
The deepest ingredient to faith is knowing that we have a spirit,soul and body.Those three parts of our being all have a separate purpose to our individual life,yet,we can be blind to it,and that is why we need to tap into the spiritual element or facet of our being.
Now you may think that it is an illusion,but life has proven there is more to us than our end in the grave.Whether we are blessed to have a miracle,or that science can temporarily heal our mortal bodies in peril,remains a mystery to us,as we all have to die sometime."It is appointed unto all men to die,but than comes the Judgment."Our bodies are fleeting as the wind,you can see that even this past week in Boston.
That 8 year old and the two young women who died,senseless deaths,now know that there is an eternity.Think of it,their deaths were tragic,in that life was stolen from them,in regards to the limited human life here,but what about the unknown eternity they are now in? Is it an illusion? You are so quick to say yes?
Well I can tell you with an assurity that if you say yes,than you have no respect for those three individuals who died so needlessly,that there will not be some accounting for their untimely deaths.I am not judging you,but I am saying that delusion or illusion,does not apply to realizing that life does exist after our temporal bodies are in the grave,but still the spirit and the soul are very much alive.
Pad, I thought your posts were relatively reasonable --- until this one.

Your delusion has sent you over the edge. I posted a statement about the nature of science - a truthful statement you simply cannot refute -- so you claim I "have no respect for those three who died needlessly" in the Boston bombing.

Pad, your delusion has made you post an absurd lie and on some level you surely know it.

Why not condemn me for having "no respect" for the thousands of children who die in car accidents every year? Why just the Boston bombing?

Pad, stop standing on the graves of innocent victims to attack others here. I made a statement about science. If you disagree with the statement, please express your reasons.

Your emotional outburst has nothing to do with the topic of my post -- the fundamental nature of science.

The outburst does speak volumes about your delusion. You will tell an absurd lie to protect it -- which is typical.

BTW, I have never denied the possibility of a higher power. I am an agnostic. Throughout history, no god has seen fit to reveal anything to us which is provable. B

Be honest. If any god had done so, this board and emotional attacks like yours wouldn't exist.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Jesus did establish the Catholic Church.
Remember Jethro, most of Protestantism agrees with my statement. Lutheran, Methodist, Anglicans all acknowledge this historic truth. The new radical evangelical fundies ignore it or add their own conspiracy scenario to the origins of the Church and her scriptures.
From your point of view, why would a perfected Jewish Rabbi have any yearning to start a new religion?

Do you believe he thought his own religion was not perfect enough?
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Forums are for sharing opinions. ALL opinions.
Aren't we fortunate?
True.

Sadly some lose sight of that reality. Then emotion takes over.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion - A Delusion:
The same sun shines softens the wax, and shines to harden the clay. Signs in the heaven are given, some believe in the heart and it softens, while others grow hard.
OK, that's called faith.

Too bad your faith requires that "others grow hard."

Faith in an imaginary god requires an evil opposite, simply because you have no other evidence. So you need to demonize those who don't validate your faith.

Think about it. Who posts 90% of the name calling here?

Why?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Pad, I thought your posts were relatively reasonable --- until this one.
Your delusion has sent you over the edge. I posted a statement about the nature of science - a truthful statement you simply cannot refute -- so you claim I "have no respect for those three who died needlessly" in the Boston bombing.
Pad, your delusion has made you post an absurd lie and on some level you surely know it.
Why not condemn me for having "no respect" for the thousands of children who die in car accidents every year? Why just the Boston bombing?
Pad, stop standing on the graves of innocent victims to attack others here. I made a statement about science. If you disagree with the statement, please express your reasons.
Your emotional outburst has nothing to do with the topic of my post -- the fundamental nature of science.
The outburst does speak volumes about your delusion. You will tell an absurd lie to protect it -- which is typical.
BTW, I have never denied the possibility of a higher power. I am an agnostic. Throughout history, no god has seen fit to reveal anything to us which is provable. B
Be honest. If any god had done so, this board and emotional attacks like yours wouldn't exist.
Everytime God reveals Himself in a scientific manner, people reject Him anyway. You see, no matter what He does, its explained away by people who do not want to believe that a Creator could have control over their lives. A moral authority that tells people they are living in sin is a very fearful concept for many folks.

Consider the "Miracle of the Sun" at Fatima, Portugal in 1917. After a series of visions from three little children of the Mother of Christ, God revealed a spectacular Miracle. Many Atheist and Muslims were given the scientific evidence they demanded. Most converted that day. But not all. And a generation went by, and people said it was a mass hallucination; an elaborate hoax. You see, nothing will satisfy the folks. God knows this. That's why He only reveals Himself in Spirit.

Wikipedia.org/Wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of your post is correct accept the first sentence. Catholics weren't killing each other prior to the compilation of the NT.
The emperor Constantine didn't choose the Catholic religion as having full power until the fourth century, and that was only "because" the many sects of Christianity could not get along, and Constantine wanted the fighting over religion to stop.

Once Catholicism became manditory, all other sects where forced to convert to Catholicism or be tortured and die.

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Gnostics (nos tiks) Various sects, mainly of Christian inspiration, which arose and flourished in the 2nd century with offshoots which survived into the fifth century. The name derives from the Gr. Word gnostis, knowledge, but it was usually used by the Gnostics in the sense of “revelation” which gave them certain mystic knowledge for salvation which others did not possess. It was essentially based on oriental DUALISM, the existence of two worlds, good and evil, the divine and the material. The body was regarded as the enemy of spiritual life.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From your point of view, why would a perfected Jewish Rabbi have any yearning to start a new religion?
Do you believe he thought his own religion was not perfect enough?
I don't think Jesus or His Apostles ever went about telling people,'Hey we're starting a new religion'!. They preached that they were bringing the Hebrew Scriptures to fruition, not abolishing it. They were fulfilling Judaism, which is what the Catholic Church is. The new Israel.

"Christianity didn't believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity"
Saint Ignatius of Antioch. Catholic Bishop and Disciple of the Apostle John. 3rd Bishop of Antioch likely appointed by Saint Peter.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The emperor Constantine didn't choose the Catholic religion as having full power until the fourth century, and that was only "because" the many sects of Christianity could not get along, and Constantine wanted the fighting over religion to stop.
Once Catholicism became manditory, all other sects where forced to convert to Catholicism or be tortured and die.
Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.
Gnostics (nos tiks) Various sects, mainly of Christian inspiration, which arose and flourished in the 2nd century with offshoots which survived into the fifth century. The name derives from the Gr. Word gnostis, knowledge, but it was usually used by the Gnostics in the sense of “revelation” which gave them certain mystic knowledge for salvation which others did not possess. It was essentially based on oriental DUALISM, the existence of two worlds, good and evil, the divine and the material. The body was regarded as the enemy of spiritual life.
Emperor Constantine - by the power and grace of God - was converted to the Catholic faith. This man did nothing to undo Sacred Teaching which still exists to this day.
Grant it, he brought order to the Empire. But the Bishop of Rome did not bow down to Constantine and definitely did not give up the keys passed down from Peter. Constantines conversion was guided by God. It was a miracle. It was the end of hundreds of yrs of death and suffering from the Beast and Whore of Babylon.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in an imaginary god requires an evil opposite, simply because you have no other evidence. So you need to demonize those who don't validate your faith.
Why?
I agree.

Although the need for sacrifices of humans and non-human animals to the supposed gods made those that practised polytheism brutes in their own rights, they were at least not offended by other images of gods, as they either added the nature of the gods to their own stories, or discarded them.

When some Jews went from polytheism to monotheism, writing that their one-god favored only Jews, that is when the real ugly stuff in the Abrahamic religions began, as all people wanted their own god. They didn't want to have to worship a god that favored only Jews.

So ... along came the Christians, ex-Jew Catholics being the first to come on the Christian scene and the blood-baths began in earnest. They all took on the titles of the HOLY-ones, as the Jews, ex-Jew Catholics, Muslims and later Protestants all strutted their stuff.

Religion never was about getting along, and it never will be about getting along. My guess is, religious "right-fighters" will see to it that the fighting never ends.

The only way the fighting caused by religion will end, is if people leave their cults behind and refuse to join up with other religious cults. And from my perspective, right-fighters value their fights far too much to put an end to religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 418,281 - 418,300 of530,326
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

424 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Anon 717,090
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Hidingfromyou 598,806
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Aura Mytha 223,284
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min Dr_Zorderz 255,757
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 29 min remnant 144000 38,409
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 36 min Hidingfromyou 93,248
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 46 min Al Capone 3,886
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr UidiotRaceMAkeWorldpeace 171,518
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••