Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683584 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Garden City, MI

#432513 Apr 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The myths of floods started long before the word Christianity ever existed.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>
From the book “Weather Lore,” Reader’s Digest, Published 2007, comes the following…
It would be no exaggeration to say that almost every culture has a flood myth. While the biblical flood epic of Noah and the Ark is perhaps the best known to the Western world, ancient civilizations as diverse as Babylonia and Wales, or Russian and Sumatra, have their own versions of a giant flood. Many of these myths are surprisingly similar. The flood is seen as punishment for mankind’s sins, a family is singled out for rescue by a deity, a boat is built, and creatures of all kinds are collected to ride out the storm.
Unfortunately much of the world hears the word of God from Evangelical born agains. I respect their zeal for Christ and effort, but they require people to be stupid first, then Christian. They took the Holy Scriptures and put a false label on it.(Sola Scriptura)
They teach that every little story, word and punctuation mark is directly from the audible voice of God. Therefore, Biblical stories like, Jonah and the Whale, Noah and the flood and Adam and Eve, are to be taken as actual literal word for word historical accounts.
Could Noah have every single animal (even Polar Bears) on his ship?? I highly doubt it. Its a Biblical story with a Divine message. Just like Jonah and the Whale. The message is of Divine orign.
These guys ask you to forgo reason and logic to accept their new brand of Christianity. The Catholic Church protected sacred scripture for 1,600 yrs before certain men - without authorization -got their hands on it and began teaching a different Gospel.

The official Catholic teaching on these Biblical stories, I think, is that its ok for us to believe it as a literal if we want. But its not officially a factual event, taught by the Church.

Noah is most likely a character in a Biblical story. If it is true, he didn't have two of every single creature and critter on Earth!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#432514 Apr 14, 2013
Preston wrote:
<quoted text>this was a great educational reply, tell Sera she did a great job on it.lol.
anywhoo,it is great to see you posting again. best wishes to you and her.
Feels great to hear from you, friend. The best to you and your family as well. Keep up the fight.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#432515 Apr 14, 2013
Lafdin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or is our concept of perfect incorrect?
Hi HS! Saw your name in the thread list and just wanted to say Hi
Hi Ladden. I agree with you that we try sometime with our limited minds to grasp ideas such as perfect, omniscient, infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent, when often these are mysteries. Nice hearing from you.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#432516 Apr 14, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>the church of antioch is not a true catholic church,if you open a real history book like i have, an found that the church is truly a christian church, that was turned over to the r/p/c church,when the roman empire conquered the country,it is a church held in bondage to the catholic church,so your 200 yrs is B.S.
Maybe you should provide us with a link to this "real history book". Lol.

Jethro, you said Constantine founded the Catholic Church. Ignatius called the Church "Catholic" in AD 110, 200 years BEFORE Constantine. Game over.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#432517 Apr 14, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You said Constantine created the Catholic Church. I proved you wrong.
Ignatius was bishop of Antioch. He said he was in the Catholic Church. 200 years before Constantine. Are you saying the pagan Roman Emperor made him say that? Why would he throw him to the lions?
Ignatius was killed because he was a christian,the church of Antioch was still a christian church,it was not until 313 that things changed and Christians did not have to live in fear.that is when Emperor Constantine declared tolerance for Christianity, Christians were free from the specter even of limited persecution — yet they retained a notion of being oppressed, nonetheless.(This makes some sense, since after all, the Edict of Milan did not instantly change the minds of all Imperial citizen who didn't care for Christians.) Still, this persisted, and when Christians began to turn on one another, as they did in Alexandria when the Arian heresy broke out — this was cemented in the form of internecine persecution.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#432518 Apr 14, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately much of the world hears the word of God from Evangelical born agains. I respect their zeal for Christ and effort, but they require people to be stupid first, then Christian. They took the Holy Scriptures and put a false label on it.(Sola Scriptura)
They teach that every little story, word and punctuation mark is directly from the audible voice of God. Therefore, Biblical stories like, Jonah and the Whale, Noah and the flood and Adam and Eve, are to be taken as actual literal word for word historical accounts.
Could Noah have every single animal (even Polar Bears) on his ship?? I highly doubt it. Its a Biblical story with a Divine message. Just like Jonah and the Whale. The message is of Divine orign.
These guys ask you to forgo reason and logic to accept their new brand of Christianity. The Catholic Church protected sacred scripture for 1,600 yrs before certain men - without authorization -got their hands on it and began teaching a different Gospel.
The official Catholic teaching on these Biblical stories, I think, is that its ok for us to believe it as a literal if we want. But its not officially a factual event, taught by the Church.
Noah is most likely a character in a Biblical story. If it is true, he didn't have two of every single creature and critter on Earth!!
You call yourself a Christian? Based on your pathetic theology you have exposed yourself as one true Roman Catholic lacking in faith and ignoring Biblical "absolute" truths.

You also believe in evolution, right? You also believe in abortion, right? You also believe in same sex marriage, right? You believe in everything the Bible abhors. You and your pope are a couple of real dandy's.

usa

#432519 Apr 14, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably should have just said "sorry, I read some info babe describe it as "hired", but since Cardinals are in the Catholic Church, I should've looked at a Catholic website to see how Cardinals are chosen before making such an uninformed statement."
call it what you like he still picked/hired cardinals to help him run the church,the man who suppose to be the vicar of Christ has no idea what he's doing,not surprising.just proves once again it is not the true church,otherwise he would have all the answers needed to run the church since god would be instructing him.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#432520 Apr 14, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You call yourself a Christian? Based on your pathetic theology you have exposed yourself as one true Roman Catholic lacking in faith and ignoring Biblical "absolute" truths.
You also believe in evolution, right? You also believe in abortion, right? You also believe in same sex marriage, right? You believe in everything the Bible abhors. You and your pope are a couple of real dandy's.
Wow. So since I don't believe Jonah spent any time in the belly of a whale, I believe in abortion and same sex marriage???
You're an interesting character OldG.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#432521 Apr 14, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text> Ignatius was killed because he was a christian,the church of Antioch was still a christian church,it was not until 313 that things changed and Christians did not have to live in fear.that is when Emperor Constantine declared tolerance for Christianity, Christians were free from the specter even of limited persecution — yet they retained a notion of being oppressed, nonetheless.(This makes some sense, since after all, the Edict of Milan did not instantly change the minds of all Imperial citizen who didn't care for Christians.) Still, this persisted, and when Christians began to turn on one another, as they did in Alexandria when the Arian heresy broke out — this was cemented in the form of internecine persecution.
???

This doesn't support your erroneous contention. Ignatius called the Church Catholic in AD 110, 200 years BEFORE Constantine.

There's no shame in admitting you were wrong jethro.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#432522 Apr 14, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>call it what you like he still picked/hired cardinals to help him run the church,the man who suppose to be the vicar of Christ has no idea what he's doing,not surprising.just proves once again it is not the true church,otherwise he would have all the answers needed to run the church since god would be instructing him.
His choice of appointments has nothing to do with infallibility. And no one claims that that they are. You don't understand infallibility. Let me know if you're interested in learning.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#432523 Apr 14, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
you're a perfect example of why the Church protected Sacred Scripture for so long.
You read the Bible and designed your own religion.
Ironic, you believe Noah had two of every single animal, creature and critter on Earth... in your brain, that's possible. But Jesus Christ being present in the bread and wine are impossible.
Even though He held it up and said it was. And all of Christianity understood it as such until you guys showed up and said, "Jesus was speaking figuratively; its just a symbol. But Jonah spent 3 days in the belly of a whale and Noah had Polar Bears and North American Bobcats on his ship.
That's cute OldJG.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#432524 Apr 14, 2013
Going to mass with the family. Wish you all could join me.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#432525 Apr 14, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text> Ignatius was killed because he was a christian,the church of Antioch was still a christian church,it was not until 313 that things changed and Christians did not have to live in fear.that is when Emperor Constantine declared tolerance for Christianity, Christians were free from the specter even of limited persecution — yet they retained a notion of being oppressed, nonetheless.(This makes some sense, since after all, the Edict of Milan did not instantly change the minds of all Imperial citizen who didn't care for Christians.) Still, this persisted, and when Christians began to turn on one another, as they did in Alexandria when the Arian heresy broke out — this was cemented in the form of internecine persecution.
It is unfortunate that there are anti-catholic "hack-heretical- history" ediitorialists" like you jethro8, who spend their time playing (merry-go-round) games of "hit and miss" Protestant Church History, just "making it up" as they go along!..... You, my friend have debunked, dis-proven and refuted over and over again by Anthony, Clay, Regina, and myself when it comes to showing you the "authoritative and verifable TRUTH of over 2000 years of TRUE Apostolic Church History and over 1500 years of TRUE biblical interpretation, confirmed by the Early Church Fathers in 382,393, and 397 AD, who gave you bible only "fundies" the Scripture that you mis-interpret to your OWN destruction. "Case closed"!!!!
Clay

Garden City, MI

#432526 Apr 14, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Going to mass with the family. Wish you all could join me.
I'm about to walk into the Cathedral. In a way, I'll be joining ya. We'll be hearing the same Gospel and partaking in the same meal. Have a great Sunday Anthony.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#432527 Apr 14, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
<quoted text>Ollie, being Roman Catholic, like myself says that in the early days followers of Jesus Christ were called Christians as they are still called today.
As the congregations grew in 'each' area / city / town etcetera, the Greek word 'catholic' was used. The word means 'whole universe' in Greek and it was very appropriate to use this term as the whole world in those days was limited to the lands of the Roman Empire and a few other points beyond. The Romans, of course, had been to Britain, but had no idea of what countries lay across any of the great seas.
Horrraaaay for Catholics....
...and my Ollie sure knows his stuffys tooo.
Go Figure.
The question was and still is: If the Catholic church was founded by Christ, why does history show persecution of Christians...and not one Catholic!!!!!

Come up for air....the fumes from the area formed by the forked junction of two members are getting to you!!!!!
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Canada

#432529 Apr 14, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
<quoted text>Stanley says that the only one entertaining hereIN is you, you hateful, hypocritical, hAtheistic schidt-for-brains.
You are full of schidt to the eyeballs.
Go Figure.
AWWW now that wasn't nice ... was it?

You can still be a theologian. After all, the word theology means, to "study."

:)

usa

#432530 Apr 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
To claim that a Jew would have any connection with the papacy is ludicrous. The theologians told one lie after another after another.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities … A treasury of Trivia, by Nino Lo Bello~ Published 1998.
Has there ever been a Jewish pope?
The first pope, Saint Peter, was, like all of the original twelve disciples, born into Jewish family and raised a Jew.
he was never a pope,church rules state you must be single,he was married,and your right Christianity is the new kid on the block,gods were invented when man created a way to communicate amongst each other because they had no idea how the their world worked,there was a god for everything that happened,and as man EVOLVED and developed science gods slowly disappeared one by one until a man named Jesus came along and declared there was only one god,and set out to tell the greatest story ever told. i believe it was he that wrote the first books of scripture using the name Moses,and declaring himself the son of god in the story,the first religious zealot.we will never know the truth unless god appears before us,and the man screwed around with the scriptures so much,the truth will never be known that way,since they were not taken seriously at first and some were torn up an sold as souvenirs and the idiot pagan/christian fools took it upon themselves to burn books,question is why? and what are they hiding in their archives,that they have no right to? it's stolen property and should be returned to it's rightful owners,"the people of the world", i definitely have to check out this book you mentioned,sounds interesting.
June VanDerMark

Canada

#432531 Apr 14, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Mythology is all based on hear-say.

You can believe whatever suits your fantasy, and that will please you ... but others have their own fantasies that please them, and arguing about such issues is what caused so many religious wars.
June VanDerMark

Canada

#432532 Apr 14, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
In spite of many scientific studies attempting to show that prayer works -- nothing.
Maybe we shouldn't pray for ourselves, but rather all of mankind. Maybe then the words proclaimed over and over in the Bible will come true!
Let us pray......
"Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."
Will anything happen?

If not, then -- Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16 -- are all lies?
The characters in those supposed holy books were meant to create images of super-humans as links to gods.

Non-human animals are not "cursed" with religion. Humans out-smarted themselves by being cunning enough to devise "invisible" gods that they then could brag about having the one or ones that loved them and hated others.

Silly stuff in deed.
June VanDerMark

Canada

#432533 Apr 14, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
<quoted text>Ollie says that you are the 'end of story'.
With schidt-for-brains like yours, you are full of schidt to the eyeballs.
I believe that the only education that you have is that which you gleaned from the ILK that tossed swill over the rails of your pigPen.
Go Figure.
I was raised under the spell of religion and never left it until I was 70 years of age.

I left because it made no more sense to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min George Justapose 15,530
O.J. Simpson is about to be a free man once again. 20 min George Justapose 13
Mohamed Noor: GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY 24 min Doctor REALITY 1
What did O.J. Simpson do with the murder weapon... 29 min George Justapose 12
Ryan Prince ♡ R.I.P. 37 min Piston 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 44 min Aerobatty 983,071
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 55 min waaasssuuup 619,687
More from around the web