Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641484 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#430362 Mar 29, 2013
If the Roman Catholic church gave the world the Bible in 397 AD, then why did many different versions of canons continue to circulate long afterwards?
Clay

Garden City, MI

#430363 Mar 29, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
The Holy Catholic Church gathered, edited and compiled the Bible, otherwise you'd have no clue it existed.
We would have the Bible if the Roman Catholic (apostate Church never existed...
as for me I credit the ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCH FOR CANONIZING THE BIBLE.
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS THE FIRST PROTESTANT CHURCH THAT BROUGHT ABOUT THE GREAT SCHISM...
You'd credit the church of Scientology before you would the Catholic Church! Hate and Jealously has blinded ya.
But yes, the Orthodox were there too. I don't know if you're aware that the Catholic and Orthodox were one Church at the time the Compilation of the NT happened at the Council of Hippo, IN ROME, in the 4th century?
As for the schism? They (Orthodox) left. Rome stayed put.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#430364 Mar 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Before any discussion begins about Christianity on this forum, it should be required that y'all watch Stars video link.
What came first? The Church or the Bible?
Sola Scripture is literally impossible to subscribe to. Its amazing you guys added this teaching to Jesus Christ's Ministry when He never preached, discussed or commanded such a theory. Sola Scripture is a doctrine of men. Its strange and relatively new.
On this Holy day called Good Friday, I pray you reflect and pray on where you stand on Jesus Christ.
Good Friday to you Clay!
<><

"In the Holy Bible, we read, "If I (St. Paul) am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great..." [1 Tim. 15-16]

In the aforementioned passage, two things stand out. Paul refers to:

i. The Church is the pillar and bulwark of the truth, and

ii. Our religion.

Most Protestants believe that the Bible is the pillar and foundation of the truth. They also believe that no knowledge outside of the Bible is necessary for salvation.

Such a belief, "Sola Scriptura," (meaning only need the Bible) cannot be found anywhere in the Bible. Not only that, they fall short of recognizing that Saint Paul was referring to "our religion, the Roman Catholic Church and its Rites, the only One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church that was instituted on earth by Jesus Christ.

The Protestant argument that the Bible is the pillar and bulwark of the truth does not make any sense for two reasons:

i) It was not until the fourth century that the Catholic Church completed its selection of the "canon of Scripture." The Bible could not be the pillar and bulwark of the truth prior to the fourth century because the Holy Bible did not exist.[NT]

ii) It was not until the 1600's that the first Bible was printed. Prior to those days, very few Bibles were available, such being hand written and owned by the Church and/or the rich, these being kept under lock and key. So the average person had no access to the Bible. He could not use the Bible as a reference to support that it was the pillar and bulwark of the truth. In fact, the people turned to the Church to learn the tradition, the doctrines, the teachings of the Catholic Church.

The truth is that it is only during the last four hundred years that the Protestants have made claim that the Bible is the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Prior to that, they could not make such a claim because they had no access to the Bible."

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#430365 Mar 29, 2013
Jesus said to them,“Why are you troubled? Truly I say to you, all the priests who stand
before that altar invoke my name. Again I say to you, my name has been written on this
[…] of the generations of the stars through the human generations.[And they] have
planted trees without fruit, in my name, in a shameful manner.”

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/...

Where do you stand - before an altar that men have created, or before the altar of "God"?

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#430366 Mar 29, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>thank you,and hello sherlayne,hope your doing OK?
Hi sweetie, I don't get any good days at all any more, but heck, I'm not the only one. I sleep a lot. A nurse came to see me today, and I'll have her or some other nurse twice a week. I have a home health aide but I also need nursing care to monitor my sugar, blood pressure, etc.

I hope you're comfortable; I pray for you a lot (I may be a doubter, but I'm not an atheist, far from it). I sleep during the day a lot which is why I'm on here often during the wee hours. My husband has improved which makes me very happy! God be with you; you are very special to me!

United States

#430367 Mar 29, 2013
guest wrote:
-
-
Yes. Disgusting and shocking. and, marge, the point is scoring "political" points. he's doing this AND ALLOWING PICTURES to be taken - because they last longer ... to garner political points with the people of the world.
>>>>><< <<<>>>> ><<<<<> >>>><<< <<
http://niv.scripturetext.com/matthew/6.htm
Giving to the Needy
1 “Be careful NOT to PRACTICE your righteousness in front of others TO BE SEEN BY THEM. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Prayer
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
-
-
Clay wrote:
Man, you're even further removed from Christianity than Marge!
I take no joy in the fact that you reaffirm my Catholic faith every time I converse with you. Not that I need affirmation. I'm just saying I can see the CC is the truth after spending 5 min with a fundie.
-
-
I quoted SCRIPTURE.
I quoted Jesus Christ, himself.
So.
By Catholic standards, Christ's very teachings are not *Christian*.
By Catholic standards, Christ's very WORDS are not *Christian*.
The Catholic Church has TRIED to PREVAIL AGAINST the Scriptures and has failed - OVER AND OVER AGAIN - even as they say they are the "keepers" of God's Word.
The Church has failed because the WORD OF GOD is SHARPER than ANY TWO EDGED SWORD that the church, or anyone else, can wield.
and:
"Call No Man Father," by Catholic Standards, means they can go against the very words of Jesus Christ himself.
and that is just for starters.

“Happy 2016!!”

#430368 Mar 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Before any discussion begins about Christianity on this forum, it should be required that y'all watch Stars video link.
What came first? The Church or the Bible?
Sola Scripture is literally impossible to subscribe to. Its amazing you guys added this teaching to Jesus Christ's Ministry when He never preached, discussed or commanded such a theory. Sola Scripture is a doctrine of men. Its strange and relatively new.
On this Holy day called Good Friday, I pray you reflect and pray on where you stand on Jesus Christ.
Posted to Clay 3/29/13
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The new ager sounds pretty catholic to me.
Many Protestants are very joined with Rome about Christmas and Easter, but also Sunday worship. They dont even object to Rome any longer thus are called Evangelical. They are all in error about this. Besides those ecumenical practices there is also the doctrine of the immortal soul and eternal hell, ect. Most Protestants just 100 years ago understood this was romanism. Only since the Civil War and Scofield have Protestants been taken over and redirected in thought and doctrine. Most of the televangelists are deceivers.
Luther and Tyndale correctly rejected the belief that the dead go directly to heaven..
http://biblelight.net/luther-tyndale.htm
All new religions are a spin off, of a spin off, of The One True Church - Catholic.

If you belong to one of the religious organization, Pentecostal, Holiness, Jehovah’s Witnesses, SDA, etc, etc, your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men/women within the past hundred years.

Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means HIS Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

“Happy 2016!!”

#430369 Mar 29, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for you star....so misguided.
By the way I'm not a Protestant. Nothing to protest. Just a very humble disciple.
As I grew up it was a requirement for me to take catechism (boring). I was never required to take Bible study, in fact it was not existent those days. Do they offer it in catholic school nowadays?
I feel sadness for you. If you protest the Church that Jesus started, you are a protestant.
Weird, I went to Catholic School and had Bible homework every night.
Maybe you just didn’t listen, was told to read the Bible and you just didn‘t..

“Happy 2016!!”

#430370 Mar 29, 2013
GOOD FRIDAY.

“Each year the Catholic Church celebrates Good Friday. This day marks the death of Jesus on the Cross. It's a day to mourn His death, with no celebration of Mass, but instead a veneration of the Cross.

There are two readings as well as a reading of the Psalm. Then a priest and two faithful read the Passion. Afterward, there is a display of the crucifix in three stages. In the absence of consecration, communion is given out in consecrated forms on Holy Thursday.

In many places, Good Friday is commemorated with the reenactment of the Via Crucis. Also known as The Way of the Cross, it remembers the fourteen stations of the Passion and Death of Jesus.”
----------RomeReports.com

“Happy 2016!!”

#430371 Mar 29, 2013
Lebanese group do 'The Way of the Cross' in Rome. Tks be to GOD!

“To be a Christian in the Middle East is not an easy thing. Although their freedom of worship varies from country to country, in many they are treated as second class citizens.”

http://www.romereports.com/palio/lebanese-gro...

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#430372 Mar 29, 2013
StarC wrote:
GOOD FRIDAY.
“Each year the Catholic Church celebrates Good Friday. This day marks the death of Jesus on the Cross. It's a day to mourn His death, with no celebration of Mass, but instead a veneration of the Cross.
There are two readings as well as a reading of the Psalm. Then a priest and two faithful read the Passion. Afterward, there is a display of the crucifix in three stages. In the absence of consecration, communion is given out in consecrated forms on Holy Thursday.
In many places, Good Friday is commemorated with the reenactment of the Via Crucis. Also known as The Way of the Cross, it remembers the fourteen stations of the Passion and Death of Jesus.”
----------RomeReports.com
Stations of the Cross - I used to love that devotion; it was probably my favorite. Is that what you're referring to? Maybe I can start doing it at home.

“Happy 2016!!”

#430373 Mar 29, 2013
What happened on the first Good Friday?

Quite a number of things. During the night, Jesus had been arrested and taken before the high priests Annas and Caiaphas. It was during this time that Peter denied him.

According to the gospels, Jesus:

Was taken before Pilate in the morning
Sent to Herod
Returned to Pilate
Was mocked and beaten
Saw Barabbas released in his stead
Was crowned with thorns
Was condemned to death
Carried the crushing burden of his cross
Told the weeping women what would happen in the future
Was crucified between two thieves
Forgave those who crucified him
Entrusted the Virgin Mary to the beloved disciple
Assured the good thief of his salvation
Said his famous seven last words
Cried out and died

In addition:

There was darkness over the land
There was an earthquake
The veil of the temple was torn in two
Many saints of the Old Testament period were raised
A soldier pierced Christ's side and blood and water flowed out
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus went to Pilate and asked for Jesus' body
He was buried in Joseph's own tomb
A guard was set over the tomb
All Jesus' friends and family grieved at his death

If you’d like to read the gospel accounts themselves, you can use these links:

Matthew 27:1-66
Mark 15:1-47
Luke 23:1-56
John 18:28-19:42

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/9-t...

usa

#430374 Mar 29, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi sweetie, I don't get any good days at all any more, but heck, I'm not the only one. I sleep a lot. A nurse came to see me today, and I'll have her or some other nurse twice a week. I have a home health aide but I also need nursing care to monitor my sugar, blood pressure, etc.
I hope you're comfortable; I pray for you a lot (I may be a doubter, but I'm not an atheist, far from it). I sleep during the day a lot which is why I'm on here often during the wee hours. My husband has improved which makes me very happy! God be with you; you are very special to me!
you may have told me but with my bad memory,you have diabetes? really bad? and your husband? you'll have to refresh my memory i'm afraid. thank you for your thoughts, i have wondered why i don't see you here much,i didn't know or i just don't remember you mentioning being really sick.so sorry to hear it.

“Happy 2016!!”

#430375 Mar 29, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Stations of the Cross - I used to love that devotion; it was probably my favorite. Is that what you're referring to? Maybe I can start doing it at home.
Yes, here is a link..
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/stations/1.ht...

Dear husband and me are going to the 7pm service tonight. <><

Sherlayne, I wish you well.

usa

#430376 Mar 29, 2013
I see no catholic took up my challenge to answer my questions.not surprising,i expected a non-answer/response.

usa

#430377 Mar 29, 2013
Provide a single example of a doctrine that originates from an oral Apostolic Tradition that the Bible is silent about? Provide proof that this doctrinal tradition is apostolic in origin.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#430378 Mar 29, 2013
who="jethro8"abortio n, homosexual marriage, embryonic stem cell research, euthanasia,JETHRO:i find if funny how the church is against things that will benefit man more than hurt them...abortion,the mother does not want the child,so it will be raised in a non-loving type environment,will the church take care of the child instead of having an abortion done? no...homosexual marriage,if two people care and love each other,and bring that love and happiness into each others lives,what's the big deal?they are consenting adults,not like the UN-consenting sex that has been going on in the church for most of the 2000 yrs. it's been around... embryonic stem cell research:all for it,we need to study and develop new ways to fight the diseases of today,in my case a new more effective less harmful way to beat cancer,and other diseases,they do need to figure out a better way to get the cells,hopefully from an umbilical cord.. euthanasia:i have no problem with this,if you read my post about how my friends wife died screaming in horrific pain,you would think twice about this also,if a person has no quality of life,"example" a brain-dead person who'll remain a vegetable the rest of his/her life,confined to a bed,causing the family emotional everyday pain to see there loved one in that condition,you call that a plan from a loving god?? and the financial burden gets so heavy a lot of families split up,cause one spouse blames the other,think back to how many times a couple divorces because of the loss of a child? it happens quite often... if you stop and think about things they are not as bad as they seem in a lot of cases...like i said why is the catholic church so against the advancement and betterment of life for man kind?

You amaze me! How could those things BENEFIT any man? Homosexuality increases the incidence of oral and anal cancers manifold. Abort a child? That results in much suffering. These issues the CC is right on.

KM

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#430379 Mar 29, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Homosexuality increases the incidence of oral and anal cancers manifold. KM
Citation please.

Please remember to post the links that show homosexuality has caused cancer 'manifold'.

I really doubt you know what you are talking about.

But I'll wait for the links to be posted to further post corrections.

Thanks!

BTW - don't be like your other so-called "Christians" and not post a response to my disagreement. Because avoiding the answers will continue to keep you wrapped up in the darkness you are already residing in. Maybe you can give LTM, marge, Star, Dicisple, Oxbow, and waaasssuuup some pointers on how to respond.

We'll see how honest you can be for a preacher's wife, huh?

#430380 Mar 29, 2013
who="jethro8"quote "God is there,but He will not reveal the magnitude of His PERSON,especially because we cannot handle it.unquote i could handle meeting him face to face,what is there to fear from a peaceful loving person/thing? everything I've learned in life was through people and watching them,and through trial an error on my part just like we learn everything in life,god will do what he sees fit,why would god give a two year old child a deadly disease that guarantees this poor thing will suffer in pain an agony and die with in a year? where is he now? the world his going down the tubes faster and faster each day,yet i see no god/Jesus/holy ghost interceding on mans behalf.is he just going to sit back and watch us destroy each other senselessly? from what i'm seeing that's exactly what he is doing if he truly exists.if god is connecting the dots in my life he missed a few,right now my life totally S&$KS. i blame no one but myself,we decide our own fate no one else does.

God does not give children (or anyone) deadly diseases. He gave us instructions for living that generally protect us...but we want to do our own thing. Countless additives to our food cause cancer...God didn't do that to us.

Stop your worrying. Read your newspaper every day and you will see that things are happening just like HE said they would. He is not working for a 'quick fix', He is working to preserve and immortalize mankind. Sometimes we are like a child that wants to hurry things that cannot be hurried.

There is a devil, and destruction comes from him...not God.

KM

#430381 Mar 29, 2013
who="jethro8"quote "God is there,but He will not reveal the magnitude of His PERSON,especially because we cannot handle it.unquote i could handle meeting him face to face,what is there to fear from a peaceful loving person/thing? everything I've learned in life was through people and watching them,and through trial an error on my part just like we learn everything in life,god will do what he sees fit,why would god give a two year old child a deadly disease that guarantees this poor thing will suffer in pain an agony and die with in a year? where is he now? the world his going down the tubes faster and faster each day,yet i see no god/Jesus/holy ghost interceding on mans behalf.is he just going to sit back and watch us destroy each other senselessly? from what i'm seeing that's exactly what he is doing if he truly exists.if god is connecting the dots in my life he missed a few,right now my life totally S&$KS. i blame no one but myself,we decide our own fate no one else does.

PS God in mercy does not let us see Himself. We would die. Moses was allowed to see only bit of God, and Moses face became so brilliant that it pained the Israelites to look at him. He had to cover his face with a vail.

KM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 5 min janeebee 18,689
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min The Hangman 969,956
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min onemale 280,875
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 37 min Johnny 749
Play "end of the word" part 2 37 min ImFree2Choose 1,721
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 43 min Peace_Warrior 618,383
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 59 min Anna 104,653
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr -KENTUCKY- 38,066
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 3 hr Johnny 4,096
More from around the web