Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654044 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#429641 Mar 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
'Breaking Bread'(acts 20:7) is the Holy Mass. Sunday. This is what was taught. You guys showed up 1800 yrs later and undid it.
If you're interested in what the Apostles actually taught instead of what Ellen White taught, you can read the writings of their Disciples.
Here is what Saint Ignatius - who studied under John the Apostle had to say:
"Be not seduced by strange doctrines or antiquated fables, which are profitless. For if even unto this day we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace...if then those who have walked in ancient practices attained unto newness of hope, no longer observing Sabbaths, but fashioning their lives after the Lords day, on which our life ALSO arose through Him and through His death which some men deny....how shall we be able to live apart from Him? It is monstrous to talk of Jesus Christ and to practice Judaism. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity"!!
Ignatius to the Magnesiums
Translation: If you want to be a Jew than observe Saturday.
But Clay, the error you make is that the Fourth Commandment is in God's Holy Law. Immutable and never changeable.
You do keep the Ten Comandments, don't you? Most Christians claim to. at least nine of them. You don't have to be a Jew to keep 9 of them, so why do you have to to keep #4?
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#429642 Mar 25, 2013
The Ten Commandments remain as an eternal law of love. Jesus Himself said about the commandment law. Mat 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled".

Ten, not nine.

Romans 16:26: God is Eternal - Psalm 111:7-8: The law is Eternal
John 4:24: God is Spiritual - Romans 7:14: The law is Spiritual
Psalm 145:17: God is Righteous - Psalm 119:172: The law is Righteous
Matthew 5:48: God is Perfect - Psalm 19:7: The law is Perfect
Luke 18:19: God is Good - Romans 7:12: The law is Good
Deuteronomy 32:4: God is Just - Romans 7:12: The law is Just
1 John 3:3: God is Pure - Psalms 19:8: The law is Pure
I John 4:8: God is Love - Romans 13:10: The law is Love
I John 1:5: God is Light - Proverbs 6:23: The law is Light
Psalms 48:1: God is Great - Hosea 8:12: The law is Great
Deuteronomy 32:4: God is Truth - Psalm 119:142: The law is Truth
Isaiah 5:16: God is Holy - Romans 7:12: The law is Holy
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#429643 Mar 25, 2013
1. Jesus did not come to earth to destroy the moral law! Keep in mind that it was because that law could not be abolished that Christ had to die. Christ did not die so we could keep sinning. He died to provide us miraculous divine grace to empower us to keep the law.

1 John 5:2—“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep His commandments.”

Revelation 14:12—“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”

2. Some today claim that there has been no law since the death of Christ. But the Bible teaches that if there is no law, there is no sin! Indeed, without the law to identify sin, we cannot know what sin is. Apart from the presence of the law, sin does not exist.

Romans 4:15—“Where no law is, there is no transgression.”

Romans 5:13—“Sin is not imputed when there is no law.”

Romans 3:20—“For by the law is the knowledge of sin.”

Romans 7:7—“I had not known sin but by the law.”

1 John 3:4—“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law.”

It is the Ten Commandment law of God that the saints will keep. When asked,“Which law?” Jesus replied by naming several of the Ten Commandments (Matt 19:17-19). And the Apostle James did likewise (James 2:10-12).

3. It is the ceremonial law, the law of Old Testament sacrifices, which ended at the cross.
The only thing abolished at the cross was the ceremonial law, contained in ordinances. They were the sacrificial laws. After Christ’s death, it was no longer necessary to sacrifice lambs at the Temple, for Christ, our Lamb, had died. But, after the death of Christ, we were still obligated to keep the moral law.

So Clay, Innatius may have been wrongly translated by you!
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429644 Mar 25, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!!!! I,We as Catholics, believe that we are ALL eucumentical bothers and sisters in Christ!
Unfortunately---bible only Protestants "DON'T agree"!
No I do not fully agree with your last statement,that is not the case.Many Christians who believe that the Bible is the only Word of God to confirm all righteousness and the Will of God,YES stand firm on using that Word to divide truth from non-truth,but for the most part,many understand and know that through prayer and experiencing the L O V E of Christ we must see God's design for all believers no matter the affiliation.

Ecumenicism is fine,but it has become also a forum for the liberals of all affiliations to gather momentum to foist their ideas on the rest of us as well.

However we can have a dialogue in Christ,because He is not divided,He is God,and has proven by His life as the Son of Man to be able to fulfill all righteousness and holiness for the whole body,not just segments of it.

WE are all called to serve Him,and His Word confirms how we should be united in Him,the Epistles especially give us the foundation of what is required to all of us as brothers and sisters in Christ.

To experience Christ in the New Birth and Spiritual life,is to unite us.We become part of the Self-Same Spirit.

I find many Catholics I see on a daily basis united with me in spirit,and they speak of what Christ has done for them,AS a brother in Christ I cannot and will not diminish the wonderful things Christ has done in an individual.

hojo Jesus is not a Catholic,and of course He is not a Protestant.Jesus is the Son of the Most High,and we know through SCRIPTURE,that He is the O N L Y begotten of the Father.The Bible hojo,is not a Protestant,Catholic or even a Christian B o o k,it is the Word of God,when we read it and meditate on it,we encounter G o d,the Father,His Son,and NOW for us all the Holy Spirit of Promise.

Christianity is fine for us to use to identify ourselves,but the truth is we must be identified with the PERSON of Jesus Christ,who alone is the Begotten of the Father of Lights.When I talk to any believer in Christ I see one who is identifying with H I M,not an affiliation.If a person has to identify him or herself with an affiliation,that has its merit,but when they align themselves with Jesus and speak of His Will in their lives,that is the RAW and powerful truth of what H E is.

To know Him is to know LIFE eternal,and to walk in truth,following His WAY.
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429645 Mar 25, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing for sure, SDA's have a healthier lifestyle and as a group, they certainly live longer (well documented).
They also preach an environmental ethic, caring for others, and above all IMHO - religious freedom.
It sounds like God smiles upon the SDAs, as goofy as some of their beliefs seem to be (like the end-of-times predictions).
Roman Catholics on the other hand seem to really p*ss off God - shorter lifespans, higher crime rates, and more alcoholism.
That's OK if God dislikes RCs. They are still in my prayers.
Free Mind,every JW I have meet is not causing trouble where they work,nor are they generally bad workers,they are trust worthy,and act with humility most of the time in public.Nevertheless,groups such as Jehovah Witnesses,7th Day adventists,Yahweh and so on(Mormons) have to rely on being strongly moral to be able to both be a n effective witness, and convert others to their cause.

Christians of many denominations have learned this,but there is a falling away,first in morals.We are seeing that the youth of all groups challenge the beliefs of their parents,often causing grief b y their actions.

We all have"sinned and come short of the glory of God." That morality some seem to have on the surface that really looks good is praiseworthy,but often is a facade as well.N o one has the complete truth ,"WE all see in part..."

It is great that we are moral before God,and that we have a standard,but when we fall,we must be even more understanding and willing to support and encourage each other for the healing of our spirit and mind,which is flawed by sin.

Thank you for your comment,we all have the same access to the Same Spirit,I am glad you are praying for others.May God bless you as you pursue HIM who is not only our Creator,but our Savior.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#429646 Mar 25, 2013
Free Mind wrote:

or simply an extinct species of ape

"The discovery of a more complete fossil skeleton of Homo habilis, although still quite fragmentary, considerably strengthens the contention of creation scientists that these creatures, while not the same as any one of the modern apes, were, nevertheless, simply apes, in no way related to man."

www.icr.org/article/275/

http://creationwiki.org/Homo_habilis

The entire fossil record is due to the global flood.

LTM

Marathon, Canada

#429647 Mar 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the Holy Spirit tell you or Luther that Tobit didn't belong in the Bible?
Did the Holy Spirit tell you it did??
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#429648 Mar 25, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Policies are not written just to protect the church as you ignorantly and arrogantly suggest. You dont have a clue what the church has done nor do you care. You just want to argue. Go blow your smoke somewhere else.
D.S. you like most Catholic's have your hope and trust in your church to get you to heaven instead of just.
Or Mary Or saints, or pope, etc.
Everything above is died or dying,
Proverbs 3:5-7

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
8 It will be health to your flesh,[b]
And strength[c] to your bones
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#429649 Mar 25, 2013

Was Tobit written by an Apostle - who were directly inspired by Jesus?

In Roman Catholicism, additional books were added in 1546. These books are known as the apocryphal books: Tobit, Judith, 1 and 2 Maccabees, The Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach), and Baruch.
http://carm.org/what-canon
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429650 Mar 25, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I actually enjoyed reading this,but with one obvious problem,you can not prove a god exists,are we alone? i doubt it,with the number of stars/planets out there odds are we are not alone,i'm sure you must have heard of the show ancient aliens? on history channel? it shows drawings of people and crafts that are flying,we're talking 5000 yrs and earlier,i doubt man at that time conceived of the idea of man being able to fly,yet in different corners of the world we find drawings and carvings of flying objects in caves and on top of perfectly flat mountains,some archaeologists believe it was purposely carved flat by someone,but question is who??
Would you believe anyone jethro who stood before you and said"I M HE the one who has created the heavens and the earth.?"

Actually jethro the reason why we cannot prove a PHYSICAL evidence of God before your eyes and the eyes of many skeptics(which we all are generally),because He will not show Himself to prove His presence as the Creator of all of us.

If you had a grand design or plan for the world,would you give the final segment of that design to be revealed before the PLAN was complete?

Over a span of times and years and centuries God reveals so many things about Himself.

At one time in history jethro,people used material things to identify the presence of a god(some do still to date).No one believed in a god who actually would dialogue with them or show them individual mercy and love.

Those who believed that a Supreme Being could actually be a loving ENTITY were considered rebels,insane or outcasts. That was the case for centuries,NOW we see a totally different view of God,even within the last 100 years.God is more so seen as a loving Creator NOW than ever in h i s t o r y.Why? Because He has allowed human beings to come to that conclusion,and not due to the philosophies of men.Peter,the Apostle was given from the very God Jesus came to represent,the reveleation that JESUS in fact was the Son of God,by the Holy Spirit.

God knows human nature,and we are skeptical,faithless and He has chosen that humanity must come to faith by choice,not by HE showing Himself all at once.

Besides jethro,how can God truly show to us all His better purpose,if we are not aware of the best MAN must offer first in comparison?

There is a glory of M A N,that is why JESUS had to come as MAN(Son of Man),so that HE could deal with the human manifesto that is basically not in alignment with the Manifest of God.It is about God's love for us as independent peoples of choice.God is allowing all human endeavor to come to the surface of life,before HE reveals the most powerful design of His Kingdom.

You want God to just reveal all to you N O W? Ask yourself why?NOT me or anyone else.Why do you want God to reveal Himself to you?Give that some thought,as you bring out the same reason why you do not believe that God exists. Or that we are not able to reveal Him to you.

Don't you see what you are asking jethro? You want me to prove to you God exists. I was created by Him,so were you,if you cannot prove God exists,than how can I a fellow created being reveal Him to you?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#429651 Mar 25, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Would you believe anyone jethro who stood before you and said"I M HE the one who has created the heavens and the earth.?"
Actually jethro the reason why we cannot prove a PHYSICAL evidence of God before your eyes and the eyes of many skeptics(which we all are generally),because He will not show Himself to prove His presence as the Creator of all of us.
If you had a grand design or plan for the world,would you give the final segment of that design to be revealed before the PLAN was complete?
Over a span of times and years and centuries God reveals so many things about Himself.
At one time in history jethro,people used material things to identify the presence of a god(some do still to date).No one believed in a god who actually would dialogue with them or show them individual mercy and love.
Those who believed that a Supreme Being could actually be a loving ENTITY were considered rebels,insane or outcasts. That was the case for centuries,NOW we see a totally different view of God,even within the last 100 years.God is more so seen as a loving Creator NOW than ever in h i s t o r y.Why? Because He has allowed human beings to come to that conclusion,and not due to the philosophies of men.Peter,the Apostle was given from the very God Jesus came to represent,the reveleation that JESUS in fact was the Son of God,by the Holy Spirit.
God knows human nature,and we are skeptical,faithless and He has chosen that humanity must come to faith by choice,not by HE showing Himself all at once.
Besides jethro,how can God truly show to us all His better purpose,if we are not aware of the best MAN must offer first in comparison?
There is a glory of M A N,that is why JESUS had to come as MAN(Son of Man),so that HE could deal with the human manifesto that is basically not in alignment with the Manifest of God.It is about God's love for us as independent peoples of choice.God is allowing all human endeavor to come to the surface of life,before HE reveals the most powerful design of His Kingdom.
You want God to just reveal all to you N O W? Ask yourself why?NOT me or anyone else.Why do you want God to reveal Himself to you?Give that some thought,as you bring out the same reason why you do not believe that God exists. Or that we are not able to reveal Him to you.
Don't you see what you are asking jethro? You want me to prove to you God exists. I was created by Him,so were you,if you cannot prove God exists,than how can I a fellow created being reveal Him to you?
God did not say we are to prove....but, rather, to believe....
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429652 Mar 25, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I do not wish to trash your Church. I believe in my heart that this illness in your church has not been sufficiently addressed. Thie does not reflect on your Church's deposit of faith or the Truth is presents.I believe that the real enemy of your Church is whatever is driving this illness.
I base my belief on many many years of working with offenders, victims, families and institutions.To say someone or some institution has a sickness is not to trash it but to try to help it. My heartfelt belief is, yes , the Catholic Curch has this problem of abuse and cover up more than others.
I agree with you,and with the same respect you are giving here as well.Not to trash the whole but,that what should be revealed is the deeper problem.

I have had similar thoughts as you express here.

Sexual sin has roots which are demonic,and often related to another hegemony of spiritual deliquency. The mind receives the suggestion and the fantasy,but the SOUL is where the sin of suggestion and fantasy take root,and the physical body responds to the same with readiness.

If the mind is darkened by self desire and lust,the soul can only receive it,when the mind does not reject that which is destructive to the soul.

We all have gone astray.I believe that priests are under a pressure that is even unknown to ministers of other persuasions.When a priest lives for the Lord and rejects the desires of his flesh,he is a marvelous person,I have met such priests who have live truly holy lives,both in the Orthodox and Roman rites.

Loneliness and sexual fantasy is used by Satan to lure the priest into those unsacred places,but subsequently to dishonor that which is sacred in himself and in the church he belongs to.

I do not believe for one minute that a whole group of homosexual men decided to infiltrate the RCC to defile it.The Enemy knows well how to entrap the human mind,pedophilia is about sexual immaturity.Most men who end up in that disgusting way,are not aware of their inordinate desire until faced with being alone,under much pressure,and living a double minded secretive life.
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429653 Mar 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
God did not say we are to prove....but, rather, to believe....
I hope jethro sees your post here.

"You ask me how I know He lives?He lives within my heart."

How are you doing Oxbow?
Pad

Fishers, IN

#429654 Mar 25, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>You are right. Your Church corrected the problem. In fact your Church is at the forefront of how to deal with sexual abuse in the church. All other churches should follow your church's example. Perhaps the Orthodox can adopt your preventive policies when we all join together under your Pope who had been head of the Church since its beginning. Godspeed.
You are hoping for the Orthodox to be under the Roman Church,or that they work together as equals?
Free Mind

Saint Petersburg, FL

#429655 Mar 25, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Free Mind,every JW I have meet is not causing trouble where they work,nor are they generally bad workers,they are trust worthy,and act with humility most of the time in public.Nevertheless,groups such as Jehovah Witnesses,7th Day adventists,Yahweh and so on(Mormons) have to rely on being strongly moral to be able to both be a n effective witness, and convert others to their cause.
Christians of many denominations have learned this,but there is a falling away,first in morals.We are seeing that the youth of all groups challenge the beliefs of their parents,often causing grief b y their actions.
We all have"sinned and come short of the glory of God." That morality some seem to have on the surface that really looks good is praiseworthy,but often is a facade as well.N o one has the complete truth ,"WE all see in part..."
It is great that we are moral before God,and that we have a standard,but when we fall,we must be even more understanding and willing to support and encourage each other for the healing of our spirit and mind,which is flawed by sin.
Thank you for your comment,we all have the same access to the Same Spirit,I am glad you are praying for others.May God bless you as you pursue HIM who is not only our Creator,but our Savior.
Thank you as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about this -- "the youth of all groups challenge the beliefs of their parents, often causing grief by their actions."

Every generation since Plato has observed the same. Youth is wasted on the young.

So are some sins IMHO.

Peace

Location hidden

#429656 Mar 25, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
1. Jesus did not come to earth to destroy the moral law! Keep in mind that it was because that law could not be abolished that Christ had to die. Christ did not die so we could keep sinning. He died to provide us miraculous divine grace to empower us to keep the law.
1 John 5:2—“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep His commandments.”
Revelation 14:12—“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
2. Some today claim that there has been no law since the death of Christ. But the Bible teaches that if there is no law, there is no sin! Indeed, without the law to identify sin, we cannot know what sin is. Apart from the presence of the law, sin does not exist.
Romans 4:15—“Where no law is, there is no transgression.”
Romans 5:13—“Sin is not imputed when there is no law.”
Romans 3:20—“For by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
Romans 7:7—“I had not known sin but by the law.”
1 John 3:4—“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law.”
It is the Ten Commandment law of God that the saints will keep. When asked,“Which law?” Jesus replied by naming several of the Ten Commandments (Matt 19:17-19). And the Apostle James did likewise (James 2:10-12).
3. It is the ceremonial law, the law of Old Testament sacrifices, which ended at the cross.
The only thing abolished at the cross was the ceremonial law, contained in ordinances. They were the sacrificial laws. After Christ’s death, it was no longer necessary to sacrifice lambs at the Temple, for Christ, our Lamb, had died. But, after the death of Christ, we were still obligated to keep the moral law.
So Clay, Innatius may have been wrongly translated by you!
"1. Jesus did not come to earth to destroy the moral law! Keep in mind that it was because that law could not be abolished that Christ had to die. Christ did not die so we could keep sinning. He died to provide us miraculous divine grace to empower us to keep the law."

Are you saying when a person has been provided with miraculous grace, they no longer sin....ever?

Location hidden

#429657 Mar 25, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I hope jethro sees your post here.
"You ask me how I know He lives?He lives within my heart."
How are you doing Oxbow?
At my age, if both feet hit the floor in the morning, at about the same time, chances are it will be a good day!!!

The "Golden Age" is not all that it implies!!! If it works..it hurts..

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#429658 Mar 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
A straw man...
is a scare crow...
A man outstanding in his field... no matter the weather...
He is a no-brainer has no guts...His arms and legs are tossed about by
every wind and doctrine, that comes by.
~~~
The worst problem with a straw man is that he has no heart.

He is firmly fixed/set in his position of emptiness and as dry as a last years bird's nest.

He is characterized in the new testament as..

Jud_1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you,

feeding themselves without fear:

clouds they are without water,

carried about of winds;

trees whose fruit withereth,

without fruit,

twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

In the Old Testament

His description is

Psa 1:4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Psa 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

Psa 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous:

but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#429659 Mar 25, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>You are hoping for the Orthodox to be under the Roman Church,or that they work together as equals?
no

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#429660 Mar 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
At my age, if both feet hit the floor in the morning, at about the same time, chances are it will be a good day!!!
The "Golden Age" is not all that it implies!!! If it works..it hurts..
~~~

I guess I haven't come to the "Golden Age" yet...I am only 78...

(WILL BE 79 IN JUNE.).... I intend to "LIVE" until I die...

I refuse to accept what is generally called the "infirmities of the

Golden Age"...

My Bible tells me that...

Jesus came that I might have life and have it more abundantly...

I intend to keep my soul by the application of the word of God in my

existence...so that I might prosper and be in health ....

John wrote

3Jn_1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min New Theory 64,054
i swap sexy photos of my girlfriend (Jan '10) 4 min Fitcouple 75
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min The Hangman 973,811
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min Toby 106,507
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 6 min Knock off purse s... 28
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 33 min WasteWater 2,583
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 41 min Student 45,240
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Neville Thompson 281,870
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 10 hr Clive 80
More from around the web