Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 578,951
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#428920 Mar 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
"Who is Jesus Christ?"
Answer: Unlike the question “Does God exist?” very few people question whether Jesus Christ existed. It is generally accepted that Jesus was truly a man who walked on the earth in Israel 2000 years ago. The debate begins when the subject of Jesus' full identity is discussed. Almost every major religion teaches that Jesus was a prophet or a good teacher or a godly man. The problem is that the Bible tells us that Jesus was infinitely more than a prophet, a good teacher, or a godly man.
C.S. Lewis in his book Mere Christianity writes the following:“I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.”
So, who did Jesus claim to be? Who does the Bible say He is? First, let's look at Jesus’ words in John 10:30,“I and the Father are one.” At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement,“‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews,‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God’”(John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus’ statement as a claim to be God. In the following verses, Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying,“I did not claim to be God.” That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring,“I and the Father are one”(John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example:“‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered,‘before Abraham was born, I am!’” Again, in response, the Jews took up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Jesus’ announcing His identity as “I am” is a direct application of the Old Testament name for God (Exodus 3:14). Why would the Jews again want to stone Jesus if He had not said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?
cont
God twice plainly stated that Jesus Christ was His Son, once at His baptism, once at the "transfiguration":

"3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw The Spirit Of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#428921 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
912 961
<quoted text>
Am terribly disappointed...you had me believing that you are the Great Sage...turns out you are not even the Pink Rabbit!!!!
Since I threw my KJV Bible "out the window" per your words, can you, at the very least, recommend the correct version I should be using???
Did I disappoint you? That wasn't the intention. Maybe you are starting to fallback in your old ways and feel regret? Don't. It will only make the dismay come back.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.... Query&book=34&chapter= 16&lid=en&side=r&v erse=8&zoomSlider=0

Unfortunately, you'll have to revise your belief with this one. It is much earlier than others, except one other Bible (Vaticanus), so it won't have the ressurection you may think occurred.

But that doesn't matter, because it didn't happen anyhow - you'll be fine, as long as you just make sure you take your time to understand the context.

Good luck!

Location hidden

#428922 Mar 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
John 1:1 says “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says “the Word became flesh.” This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Thomas the disciple declared to Jesus,“My Lord and my God”(John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. The apostle Paul describes Him as,“…our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ”(Titus 2:13). The apostle Peter says the same,“…our God and Savior Jesus Christ”(2 Peter 1:1). God the Father is witness of Jesus’ full identity as well,“But about the Son he says,‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” Old Testament prophecies of Christ announce His deity,“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”(Isaiah 9:6).
So, as C.S. Lewis argued, believing Jesus to be only a good teacher is not an option. Jesus clearly and undeniably claimed to be God. If He is not God, then He is a liar, and therefore not a prophet, good teacher, or godly man. In attempts to explain away the words of Jesus, modern “scholars” claim the “true historical Jesus” did not say many of the things the Bible attributes to Him. Who are we to argue with God’s Word concerning what Jesus did or did not say? How can a “scholar” two thousand years removed from Jesus have better insight into what Jesus did or did not say than those who lived with, served with, and were taught by Jesus Himself (John 14:26)?
Why is the question over Jesus’ true identity so important? Why does it matter whether or not Jesus is God? The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ deity is why He is the only way of salvation. Jesus’ deity is why He proclaimed,“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”(John 14:6).
gotquestions.org
God twice plainly stated that Jesus Christ was His Son, once at His baptism, once at the "transfiguration":

"3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw The Spirit Of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Location hidden

#428923 Mar 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I disappoint you? That wasn't the intention. Maybe you are starting to fallback in your old ways and feel regret? Don't. It will only make the dismay come back.
http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.... Query&book=34&chapter= 16&lid=en&side=r&v erse=8&zoomSlider=0
Unfortunately, you'll have to revise your belief with this one. It is much earlier than others, except one other Bible (Vaticanus), so it won't have the ressurection you may think occurred.
But that doesn't matter, because it didn't happen anyhow - you'll be fine, as long as you just make sure you take your time to understand the context.
Good luck!
Ah am devastated!!! Plus, now you tell me Christ was not resurrected!!!! Does that mean He is still in His tomb????

Albuquerque, NM

#428924 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah am devastated!!! Plus, now you tell me Christ was not resurrected!!!! Does that mean He is still in His tomb????
Only his body.

...along with his other family members.....

http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/

Albuquerque, NM

#428925 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
here is a link to all the ossuraries found:

http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/the_tomb/unnam...

Since: Nov 08

usa

#428926 Mar 20, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
"That which is born of the flesh is flesh" ..Nicodemus is the one who brings up physical birth, not Jesus...Jesus is saying I'm not talking physically but spiritually. Flesh accounts for nothing.
Passages about water or cleasing:
Psalm 51:2
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
John 13:10
10 Jesus said to him,“The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean. And you are clean, but not every one of you.”
John 15:3
3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
Ephesians 5:26
26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
Woman at the well:
John 4:10
10 Jesus answered her,“If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you,‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
**Water is the cleasing from God when one repents**
the Lord then tells the disciples that they ought also to wash each others feet, "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." It seems to me that this is a future instruction, as at this point their feet were clean. Surely, spiritually speaking, we wash each others feet through reading the word of God. That's why the Lord said in John 15:3
"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken to you." In the Christian life, we all need to be purified from the filth of this world, we all need our feet cleaned...JETHRO:we walk upon the earth which is of sin,to remove those sins ones feet must be washed..that's how i understand it...never knew it but the word water appears in the bible over 700 times from gen. to rev. and not much is said about baptism out of those 700+ times.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#428927 Mar 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>your the does not need defending,cause it would be a total waste of time,the cruelties of the church speak volumes as to why it could not possibly be the true church.(the CONDUCT of a few "thousand" priests)you left out a word so i corrected it for you.and it's not just priests who are guilty of sins against god/Jesus, bishops,cardinals,popes are guilty as well.if Jesus created the church,why is there no passage stating "upon this rock I will build my church,and it's followers shall be known as Catholics"NOW this would be a very powerful message to prove what you believe is the truth and it's a message of this type that it would take to get people to truly believe which church is the church inspired by Jesus,and if he truly existed and was a man of peace,love and happiness,there is no way he would allow a bunch of greedy,sick,power hungry S.O.B.'S control his church,that doesn't make sense...
The ONLY thing that makes "sense" to you is the vengeance, hate and hostility that you have against Jesus Christ and the One (and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church: the one that has been historically and biblically PROVEN (over and over and over again) throughout over 2000 years of Church History!! The "pedophile CONDUCT" of small % of priests who have "fallen victim" to this sexual sin--has "nothing to do" as to the fact that the Catholic Church teaches the TRUTH of Jesus Christ doctrine of faith and salvation.it is wrong to "sexually abuse" young altar boys!! The bible says that "all have sinned". All this "greed, sick, power hungry" (adjectives) that comes "out of your mouth" is the ongoing "blindness" that "continues" to corrupted your mind, heart and soul, jethro!!!
Free Mind

Spring Hill, FL

#428928 Mar 20, 2013
Dang, so much perfect insight into the greatest mysteries of the Universe -- confined to an obscure topix message board.

No qualifiers like "maybe this is what it means," or "this is how I read it."

Nope, just straight pronouncements from enlightened ones.

What does that tell us?

Jesus runs topix maybe?

Or this is a version of Hell -- with the punishment being possession of so much absolute truth and nobody cares, so the prophets are left to p*ssing in the wind anonymously.

THAT must be it.

usa

#428929 Mar 20, 2013
A New Libertarian wrote:
Out of all the various christian religions, I find the Catholics to be the least offensive.
your kidding?? they look down their nose at all other religions as being inferior to them,and that's not offensive? you need to read more about the catholic religion,it's based on paganism and Christianity,created by emperor Constantine and 100 chosen scholars,has nothing to do with god/Jesus,they are all about themselves,in how much money they can make how powerful they can become.the abuse scandal proves they don't care about their followers, only the money they can get from them,otherwise the abuse never would of happened if they truly cared and was a church of god/Jesus....you need to do more reading,like the history of the popes,the atrocities of the catholic church,the crusades,paganism and the catholic church,this all true history the church hopes no one reads.

“Peace Thru Superior Firepower”

Since: Mar 13

Hayburn, Idaho

#428930 Mar 20, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
OH OH....just read that the new popesickle is friendly towards the idea of gay civil unions!
time to tweek your 'good catholic' morality ONCE AGAIN!!!
did you see what I said about the Catholics being the least offensive of all the christians? thanks for backing me up.

“Peace Thru Superior Firepower”

Since: Mar 13

Hayburn, Idaho

#428931 Mar 20, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>well then, I suppose it all has to do with what is offensive to you.QUOTE]

religious bigotry, hating in the name of religion, denying the rights of others in the name of religion, hypocricy etc.
-
[QUOTE who="guest"]<quot ed text>Catholicism is the MOST offensive religion to me, as it was early on murdering in the Name of God as a means of converting people to the religion.
the protestants have just as much blood on their hands as any other group. there were no Catholics in Salem.

I am speaking of the Catholic Church as it is today, not of what it did centuries ago. I'm not even a christian, yet I still respected Pope John Paul II, and I have a good feeling about Pope Francis.
-
guest wrote:
<quoted text>so. pray tell, what *is* offensive to you?
unequal treatment of various groups of citizens under the law, for one thing. religious supremacy, religious bigotry
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#428932 Mar 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>the Lord then tells the disciples that they ought also to wash each others feet, "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet." It seems to me that this is a future instruction, as at this point their feet were clean. Surely, spiritually speaking, we wash each others feet through reading the word of God. That's why the Lord said in John 15:3
"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken to you." In the Christian life, we all need to be purified from the filth of this world, we all need our feet cleaned...JETHRO:we walk upon the earth which is of sin,to remove those sins ones feet must be washed..that's how i understand it...never knew it but the word water appears in the bible over 700 times from gen. to rev. and not much is said about baptism out of those 700+ times.
Many times in scripture "water" refers to a cleansing from God. Ain't got nothing to do with baptism. Jethro, you know alot more than Clay.

Folks like catholics see the word "water" and say hey look it's baptism. Unfortunately for them, not so.

usa

#428933 Mar 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The ONLY thing that makes "sense" to you is the vengeance, hate and hostility that you have against Jesus Christ and the One (and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church: the one that has been historically and biblically PROVEN (over and over and over again) throughout over 2000 years of Church History!! The "pedophile CONDUCT" of small % of priests who have "fallen victim" to this sexual sin--has "nothing to do" as to the fact that the Catholic Church teaches the TRUTH of Jesus Christ doctrine of faith and salvation.it is wrong to "sexually abuse" young altar boys!! The bible says that "all have sinned". All this "greed, sick, power hungry" (adjectives) that comes "out of your mouth" is the ongoing "blindness" that "continues" to corrupted your mind, heart and soul, jethro!!!
you never offer any factual answers to anything,like" TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church: the one that has been historically and biblically PROVEN" where is this proof you keep saying exists? the catholic church is not in any scriptures,neither are their man made traditions,so how can it be historically true? and this"small % of priests" one child molester is one to many my guess that your % mark would mean a few hundred since the church has been around 2000 yrs gone unchecked. they want to be a country in a country so be it as long as ambassadors from other nations are allowed in "the country" to monitor their activities,it's obvious by the cardinal from Africa statement, there are still pedophile priests still among the people. he stated he was going by "his own experiences". that says pedophile to me.how else would he know by experience? and he voted for the new pope,that makes the scenario a joke.

usa

#428934 Mar 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
OXBOW owes me his farm,i'll bet that same farm that you can not find one sentence in the scriptures that clearly states the the catholic church is the true church of god/Jesus. show me where he says it is??

usa

#428935 Mar 20, 2013
oxbow,WHEN DO I GET THE DEED TO YOUR FARM YOU OWE ME? OR ARE YOU GOING TO WELCH?
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#428936 Mar 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
here is a link to all the ossuraries found:
http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/the_tomb/unnam...

Here's a roman law made 2000 years ago on grave robbing, after it was discovered the body of Jesus was missing..

Nazareth Inscription

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazareth_Inscrip...

Peter's Jerusalem tomb was found tho..
Italian - American

Mansfield, OH

#428937 Mar 20, 2013
The Catholic Church is the one true Church. Christ gave his authority to Peter and the apostles. Peter, in scripture, is always addressed by name.
The keys of the Kingdom were given to him and Christ said the gates of Hell will not prevail against the Church.

Now if you believe Jesus, then you cannot believe that He was not telling the truth.

Despite the MANY sinners in the Church, including the papacy and clergy. However the dogma remains true despite our human nature. Luther broke the Body of Christ and therefore sinned.

The Church still teaches that others can go to heaven even if not Catholic. So let's not be proud of our belief but be an example to others on how to live.
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#428938 Mar 20, 2013
A New Libertarian wrote:
did you see what I said about the Catholics being the least offensive of all the christians? thanks for backing me up.

least offensive towards the world can be offensive towards God.

I find their numerous genocides offensive. You know burning people at the stake - offensive.

The RC is only gay friendly to impose this on non-catholics to destroy their nation & culture. It is not allowed in catholic nations, like the muslims will do. so many similarities.

usa

#428939 Mar 20, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Many times in scripture "water" refers to a cleansing from God. Ain't got nothing to do with baptism. Jethro, you know alot more than Clay.
Folks like catholics see the word "water" and say hey look it's baptism. Unfortunately for them, not so.
Being immersed in water pictures the death of Jesus Christ dying for our sins. Being raised from the water is portrayal of Jesus' resurrection in which He conquered sin and death. Thus, being baptized by immersion the believer visually shows the spiritual death, burial, and resurrection of the believer's life. Baptism emphasizes to the new believer, and to those who witness the baptism, that as a Christian and child of God the Christian now is to live a godly life, resisting sin, and not giving it place in their lives.......Baptism always follows belief in Jesus Christ as one's Savior and baptism is not necessary for a person to be saved and born again. It is not an act that one does to obtain salvation and no one in the New Testament was baptized who did not first believe and put their faith in Jesus Christ. After a person is saved, as the New Testament plainly shows, they then were baptized. The Bible does not refer to baptism as a sacrament which has any saving properties, or as a part of salvation. For more information that explains why baptism is not necessary for salvation please read the article at http://bible truth.org/BaptismNotNecessary.html..the catholic church makes a big deal out of baptism because it's profitable,if it was important how come it first appears in the book of mathew and not earlier??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Bongo 817,484
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min lightbeamrider 1,965
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min onemale 270,059
Johnny Spencer 10 min Terra Jones 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 41 min Epiphany2 609,822
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 49 min ACME Rock Sales 121,445
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 56 min thetruth 9,228
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 176,203
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 8 hr MUQ2 39,952
More from around the web