Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 550,897
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Clay

United States

#428906 Mar 20, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't answer my question Clay. Your post seems like you don't know.
Again::
Tell me what is living water Jesus refers to:
Woman at the well:
John 4:10
10 Jesus answered her,“If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you,‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
**Come on Clay. You're catholic. You know everything about scripture. Teach me
-I'm a Catholic laity. I do not know everything about scripture and would never claim such an absurdity.

- I told you what I thought about John 4:10. Sorry man, I don't chop the Bible into thousands of separate verses as if there all isolated sentences.(I don't believe it was written that way) As much as you get off on Bible verse warfare, I happen to think it a sin.

- teach you? ha. you seem to have it all figured out. Then again, so does Confrint and Saban. And that SDA guy. Why don't you guys bludgeon each other with Bible passages. Lets see who the Holy Spirit really is guiding to truth.
Clay

United States

#428907 Mar 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
JESUS WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WATERS OF LIFE
Joh_4:14 -->But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
Rev_21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.--> I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev_22:1 And he shewed me--> a pure river of water of life,<-- clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Rev_22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let -->him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. <--
Pentecostals believe in the significance of water Baptism. Right?
I'm curious to know your thoughts on this. I was a bit surprised that most of Protestantism practice water Baptism- believing the water itself is of importance.
Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans and Methodist all have a sacrament called 'Confirmation', where we can reaffirm our parents decision to Baptize us and raise us in Christianity. We do this at an age of maturity. For Catholics, its usually 13 or 14.

what do Pentecostals do?

“Peace Thru Superior Firepower”

Since: Mar 13

Hayburn, Idaho

#428908 Mar 20, 2013
Out of all the various christian religions, I find the Catholics to be the least offensive.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#428909 Mar 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
-I'm a Catholic laity. I do not know everything about scripture and would never claim such an absurdity.
- I told you what I thought about John 4:10. Sorry man, I don't chop the Bible into thousands of separate verses as if there all isolated sentences.(I don't believe it was written that way) As much as you get off on Bible verse warfare, I happen to think it a sin.
- teach you? ha. you seem to have it all figured out. Then again, so does Confrint and Saban. And that SDA guy. Why don't you guys bludgeon each other with Bible passages. Lets see who the Holy Spirit really is guiding to truth.
It's ok Clay. I didn't think for one second you knew what Jesus meant when He said "living water". thanks

United States

#428910 Mar 20, 2013
guest wrote:
-
-
The first Crusade, for instance, was called for by the pope, preached in the parishes by the bishops and priests, affirmed by the ruling classes and the soldiery, and performed by the soldiers who were a part of the Roman Catholic church. To say that the Roman Catholic church was not responsible for this would be like saying that the President of the United States declared war on a country, it was affirmed by Congress, and the military affirmed and carried it out, but the United States was not responsible for the war. The Roman Catholic church is surely guilty of many indecent and worldly actions which caused much harm and grief not only to many parts of the world, but also to the One in whose name these deeds were performed, Jesus the Christ. The Roman Catholic church is surely not the paragon of purity that the First Vatican Council has declared.
-
-
Clay wrote:
ok, you posted allot crap tonight, I guess I'll pick this one to respond too.
Listen carefully: THE FIRST CRUSADES WERE A DEFENSIVE OPERATION AGAINST INVADING MUSLIM ARMIES.
The Muslims would have eventually sacked Rome. it was a noble Crusade, and frankly, it will happen again, when Ideologue fundies like you get into power and plan to take down your 'Whore of Babylon'. Believe me you, this will happen one day.
-
-
I Posted a lot of TRUTH and you are too cowardly to respond to the truth of each statement. Why are you THAT afraid of the TRUTH?
-
Here's the REAL TRUTH AGAIN:
-
Catholics were showing
-
the regional peoples
-
*how murdering in the Name of GOD*
-
was done
-
FOR THREE HUNDRED YEARS
-
before Muhammad was ever BORN.
-
The MUSLIMS LEARNED MURDERING IN THE NAME OF GOD BY WATCHING THE CATHOLICS IN ACTION!
-
-
The WORLD has Catholicism's *war machine* to "thank" for the birth of Islam.
-
It was one of those **M0NKEY SEE - MONKEY DO** kind of things.
-
and just like the Catholic church,
-
Islam says that it, too, is a "peaceful" religion.
-
Constantine: born, 27 Feb 272 -- died 22 May 337
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_...
-
Muhammad: born 570 -- died 8 June 632
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad

United States

#428911 Mar 20, 2013
Chuck wrote:
Doesn't answer my question Clay. Your post seems like you don't know.
Again::
Tell me what is living water Jesus refers to:
Woman at the well:
John 4:10
10 Jesus answered her,“If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you,‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
**Come on Clay. You're catholic. You know everything about scripture. Teach me
-
-
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
Bible verse warfare?
-
BIBLE VERSE WARFARE IS A SIN?
-
but - following Constantine and MURDERING in the Name of God is NOT a sin?
-
at least with Bible verse warfare people don't die.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#428912 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, I beg you Great Sage, look in your bag of wisdom for more wisdom you can impart to me to make my life more enjoyably and fruitful!!!!!
You'll have to finish your vegetables first. One needs nourishment when fulfilling actions.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#428913 Mar 20, 2013
"Who is Jesus Christ?"

Answer: Unlike the question “Does God exist?” very few people question whether Jesus Christ existed. It is generally accepted that Jesus was truly a man who walked on the earth in Israel 2000 years ago. The debate begins when the subject of Jesus' full identity is discussed. Almost every major religion teaches that Jesus was a prophet or a good teacher or a godly man. The problem is that the Bible tells us that Jesus was infinitely more than a prophet, a good teacher, or a godly man.

C.S. Lewis in his book Mere Christianity writes the following:“I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.”

So, who did Jesus claim to be? Who does the Bible say He is? First, let's look at Jesus’ words in John 10:30,“I and the Father are one.” At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement,“‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews,‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God’”(John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus’ statement as a claim to be God. In the following verses, Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying,“I did not claim to be God.” That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring,“I and the Father are one”(John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example:“‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered,‘before Abraham was born, I am!’” Again, in response, the Jews took up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Jesus’ announcing His identity as “I am” is a direct application of the Old Testament name for God (Exodus 3:14). Why would the Jews again want to stone Jesus if He had not said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?

cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#428914 Mar 20, 2013
John 1:1 says “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says “the Word became flesh.” This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Thomas the disciple declared to Jesus,“My Lord and my God”(John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. The apostle Paul describes Him as,“…our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ”(Titus 2:13). The apostle Peter says the same,“…our God and Savior Jesus Christ”(2 Peter 1:1). God the Father is witness of Jesus’ full identity as well,“But about the Son he says,‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” Old Testament prophecies of Christ announce His deity,“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”(Isaiah 9:6).
So, as C.S. Lewis argued, believing Jesus to be only a good teacher is not an option. Jesus clearly and undeniably claimed to be God. If He is not God, then He is a liar, and therefore not a prophet, good teacher, or godly man. In attempts to explain away the words of Jesus, modern “scholars” claim the “true historical Jesus” did not say many of the things the Bible attributes to Him. Who are we to argue with God’s Word concerning what Jesus did or did not say? How can a “scholar” two thousand years removed from Jesus have better insight into what Jesus did or did not say than those who lived with, served with, and were taught by Jesus Himself (John 14:26)?
Why is the question over Jesus’ true identity so important? Why does it matter whether or not Jesus is God? The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ deity is why He is the only way of salvation. Jesus’ deity is why He proclaimed,“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”(John 14:6).
gotquestions.org

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#428915 Mar 20, 2013
OH OH....just read that the new popesickle is friendly towards the idea of gay civil unions!

time to tweek your 'good catholic' morality ONCE AGAIN!!!

United States

#428916 Mar 20, 2013
A New Libertarian wrote:
Out of all the various christian religions, I find the Catholics to be the least offensive.
-
-
well then, I suppose it all has to do with what is offensive to you.
-
Catholicism is the MOST offensive religion to me, as it was early on murdering in the Name of God as a means of converting people to the religion.
-
so. pray tell, what *is* offensive to you?

United States

#428917 Mar 20, 2013
http://bible.cc/galatians/4-16.htm

New International Version (©2011)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

New Living Translation (©2007)
Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?

English Standard Version (©2001)
Have I then become your enemy by telling you the truth?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

International Standard Version (©2012)
So have I now become your enemy for telling you the truth?

NET Bible (©2006)
So then, have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Have I become an enemy to you because I have preached the truth to you?

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Can it be that I have become your enemy for telling you the truth?

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#428918 Mar 20, 2013
912 961
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to finish your vegetables first. One needs nourishment when fulfilling actions.
Am terribly disappointed...you had me believing that you are the Great Sage...turns out you are not even the Pink Rabbit!!!!

Since I threw my KJV Bible "out the window" per your words, can you, at the very least, recommend the correct version I should be using???
truth

Perth, Australia

#428919 Mar 20, 2013
where river stay under 999 is that devil

nooooooooooooooo

because you are liar..is that nice..no
why should be
its nrgative expression..in reality exist..wghere..there when say i am within you..where are you looking..then how you look within yourself..

if you come front of other property what you will do..loook steering..is that nice..no why should be..
i tell you to much
after al i can't sleep..i liked but can't..

symbol will tell you sym;bol
sim=bol sim=card=bol=pain
bummmmmmmmmmmmmm

because of that you ignor nothing plus nothing can be something
som;thing
samsemsimsomsum sasesisosu

Location hidden

#428920 Mar 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
"Who is Jesus Christ?"
Answer: Unlike the question “Does God exist?” very few people question whether Jesus Christ existed. It is generally accepted that Jesus was truly a man who walked on the earth in Israel 2000 years ago. The debate begins when the subject of Jesus' full identity is discussed. Almost every major religion teaches that Jesus was a prophet or a good teacher or a godly man. The problem is that the Bible tells us that Jesus was infinitely more than a prophet, a good teacher, or a godly man.
C.S. Lewis in his book Mere Christianity writes the following:“I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.”
So, who did Jesus claim to be? Who does the Bible say He is? First, let's look at Jesus’ words in John 10:30,“I and the Father are one.” At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement,“‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews,‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God’”(John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus’ statement as a claim to be God. In the following verses, Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying,“I did not claim to be God.” That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring,“I and the Father are one”(John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example:“‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered,‘before Abraham was born, I am!’” Again, in response, the Jews took up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Jesus’ announcing His identity as “I am” is a direct application of the Old Testament name for God (Exodus 3:14). Why would the Jews again want to stone Jesus if He had not said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?
cont
God twice plainly stated that Jesus Christ was His Son, once at His baptism, once at the "transfiguration":

"3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw The Spirit Of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Albuquerque, NM

#428921 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
912 961
<quoted text>
Am terribly disappointed...you had me believing that you are the Great Sage...turns out you are not even the Pink Rabbit!!!!
Since I threw my KJV Bible "out the window" per your words, can you, at the very least, recommend the correct version I should be using???
Did I disappoint you? That wasn't the intention. Maybe you are starting to fallback in your old ways and feel regret? Don't. It will only make the dismay come back.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.... Query&book=34&chapter= 16&lid=en&side=r&v erse=8&zoomSlider=0

Unfortunately, you'll have to revise your belief with this one. It is much earlier than others, except one other Bible (Vaticanus), so it won't have the ressurection you may think occurred.

But that doesn't matter, because it didn't happen anyhow - you'll be fine, as long as you just make sure you take your time to understand the context.

Good luck!

Location hidden

#428922 Mar 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
John 1:1 says “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says “the Word became flesh.” This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Thomas the disciple declared to Jesus,“My Lord and my God”(John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. The apostle Paul describes Him as,“…our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ”(Titus 2:13). The apostle Peter says the same,“…our God and Savior Jesus Christ”(2 Peter 1:1). God the Father is witness of Jesus’ full identity as well,“But about the Son he says,‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” Old Testament prophecies of Christ announce His deity,“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace”(Isaiah 9:6).
So, as C.S. Lewis argued, believing Jesus to be only a good teacher is not an option. Jesus clearly and undeniably claimed to be God. If He is not God, then He is a liar, and therefore not a prophet, good teacher, or godly man. In attempts to explain away the words of Jesus, modern “scholars” claim the “true historical Jesus” did not say many of the things the Bible attributes to Him. Who are we to argue with God’s Word concerning what Jesus did or did not say? How can a “scholar” two thousand years removed from Jesus have better insight into what Jesus did or did not say than those who lived with, served with, and were taught by Jesus Himself (John 14:26)?
Why is the question over Jesus’ true identity so important? Why does it matter whether or not Jesus is God? The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ deity is why He is the only way of salvation. Jesus’ deity is why He proclaimed,“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”(John 14:6).
gotquestions.org
God twice plainly stated that Jesus Christ was His Son, once at His baptism, once at the "transfiguration":

"3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw The Spirit Of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Location hidden

#428923 Mar 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I disappoint you? That wasn't the intention. Maybe you are starting to fallback in your old ways and feel regret? Don't. It will only make the dismay come back.
http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.... Query&book=34&chapter= 16&lid=en&side=r&v erse=8&zoomSlider=0
Unfortunately, you'll have to revise your belief with this one. It is much earlier than others, except one other Bible (Vaticanus), so it won't have the ressurection you may think occurred.
But that doesn't matter, because it didn't happen anyhow - you'll be fine, as long as you just make sure you take your time to understand the context.
Good luck!
Ah am devastated!!! Plus, now you tell me Christ was not resurrected!!!! Does that mean He is still in His tomb????

Albuquerque, NM

#428924 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah am devastated!!! Plus, now you tell me Christ was not resurrected!!!! Does that mean He is still in His tomb????
Only his body.

...along with his other family members.....

http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/

Albuquerque, NM

#428925 Mar 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
here is a link to all the ossuraries found:

http://www.jesusfamilytomb.com/the_tomb/unnam...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 37,348
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min Blk Thndr 602,802
Gay snapchat names 8 min jackkdc 55
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min ChristineM 753,659
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 12 min RiccardoFire 96,431
Quitman Mountains, Hudspeth County, Texas (Sep '10) 20 min Jean-Louis 4
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 20 min curious 282
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 57 min WasteWater 262,081
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 1 hr girls united states 173
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Rider on the Storm 174,539

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE