Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#428434 Mar 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
You really think Christ started a faith that was completely secret? Hidden for centuries until the Bible was printed for fools to interpret their own meaning on His Ministry??

The apostles went around starting numerous churches. The believers were never meant to be a large wealthy church. We are told "narrow is the path and few that find it." The false church in Rev 18 is described as decked in gold and jewels (wealthy) committing fornication / having relations with the kings of the earth.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#428435 Mar 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you go ahead and chance it with people like Wayne Jackson.
His version of the Bible is a complete fantasy. Its a man made scenario and extremely hypocritical.
The guy is no authority on sacred scripture. Period.
Wayne Jackson knows the bible inside and out. The catholic church is the biggest deceiver of man than any other false religious institution in the world.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#428436 Mar 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
As TRUE followers of Jesus Christ, we, as Catholics, don't need to try ANYTHING, to received Gods FULLNESS of the Faith, Blessings or Overabunding "completeness of HIS Grace....... God has know for over 2000 years, that HIS TRUE DISCIPLES are manifested in Jesus Christ, HIS son and in His (historically PROVEN) One True Apostolic Catholic Church and that "any other" Christian belief(bible only Protestantism, in particular) is "outside" and is "separated" from the TRUE FAITH and Salvation in Jesus Christ!
You don't believe your own pope's teaching that clearly says Christ did not build a Catholic Church!!!!

From your NABre pope approved Bible:
this word (Greek ekklsia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). There are several possibilities for an Aramaic original. Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God....

I added: The Catholic Church is a denomination.....No denominations are named in Scripture....nor in the definition of ekklsia...

Plus further proof, from Scripture, that Christ found not the Catholic cult: In Rev, when He referred to the seven (7) churches, not one did He refer to as "Catholic". This was years after His ascension into Heaven...
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#428437 Mar 17, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
From Wikipedia:
"Polycarp (69 – 155)(Ancient Greek:) was a 2nd century Christian bishop of Smyrna.[1] According to the Martyrdom of Polycarp he died a martyr, bound and burned at the stake, then stabbed when the fire failed to touch him.[2] Polycarp is regarded as a saint in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches.
It is recorded by Irenaeus, who heard him speak in his youth, and by Tertullian,[3] that he had been a disciple of John the Apostle.[4][5] Saint Jerome wrote that Polycarp was a disciple of John and that John had ordained him bishop of Smyrna."
This man dies a martyr.
A martyr.
He was put to death for his faith in Jesus Christ.
He witnessed to Christ to the point of shedding his own blood, and giving up his life.

Rob

Martyred by the romanist. Then his history was hijacked by the romanists, as they did St Patrick the non-Latin christian Galic Celt follower of the church Paul founded.

St Patrick
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...

The Seventh Day history
http://youtu.be/4Xy7wIjRDOM
also..
http://youtu.be/W4peBtw5d-g

Location hidden

#428438 Mar 17, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
From Wikipedia:
"Polycarp (69 – 155)(Ancient Greek: &#928;&#959;&#955; &#973;&#954;&#945; &#961;&#960;&#959; &#962;) was a 2nd century Christian bishop of Smyrna.[1] According to the Martyrdom of Polycarp he died a martyr, bound and burned at the stake, then stabbed when the fire failed to touch him.[2] Polycarp is regarded as a saint in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches.
It is recorded by Irenaeus, who heard him speak in his youth, and by Tertullian,[3] that he had been a disciple of John the Apostle.[4][5] Saint Jerome wrote that Polycarp was a disciple of John and that John had ordained him bishop of Smyrna."
This man dies a martyr.
A martyr.
He was put to death for his faith in Jesus Christ.
He witnessed to Christ to the point of shedding his own blood, and giving up his life.
And you call him "HolyCrap."
I will pray for you.
I suspect you will need all te prayers you can get.
Rob
He is still a dead man.....nothing more...nothing else...I could care less what the Catholics thinks he is....

You are wasting your time praying for me...you ain't gonna get me!!!!

I will put my money only on the sure thing...the Sacred Word of God...
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#428439 Mar 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church, reveals the TRUTH on its own, PROVEN in Sacred Scripture, Apostolic Church History,from the Lives of the Saints and CONFIRMED from Apologistic Historian authors and writers (both Catholic and Protestant...... The entire recorded Books of the Bible from the Early Church Fathers (who formed the Canon of Scripture in 382,393 and 397AD)(all inspired by the Apostles) remained "intact: until the Protestant Reformation, when Luther, followed by Zwigli, then Hus, the Wycliff, then Calvin --decided to "throw out" 7 of the original books because it "didn't fit into" their bible only heretical teachings. Now with 42,000 contradicting and inconsistent "hodge-podge" of Protestant (bible only denominations---of sola scriptura--Propaganda. IT IS ALL YOURS! We, as Catholics, will continue to remain with the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and Only) true Catholic Church.
!!

Complete rubbish A-to-Z you wont be convincing me of your nonsense.

The Bible does not confirm anything of the Roman Church; just the opposite.

All the reformers agreed the roman pope was no true Christian.

The 7 extra papal books were only added during the Reformation around 1545; this needed to support their false doctrine and spread confusion.

Location hidden

#428440 Mar 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church, reveals the TRUTH on its own, PROVEN in Sacred Scripture, Apostolic Church History,from the Lives of the Saints and CONFIRMED from Apologistic Historian authors and writers (both Catholic and Protestant...... The entire recorded Books of the Bible from the Early Church Fathers (who formed the Canon of Scripture in 382,393 and 397AD)(all inspired by the Apostles) remained "intact: until the Protestant Reformation, when Luther, followed by Zwigli, then Hus, the Wycliff, then Calvin --decided to "throw out" 7 of the original books because it "didn't fit into" their bible only heretical teachings. Now with 42,000 contradicting and inconsistent "hodge-podge" of Protestant (bible only denominations---of sola scriptura--Propaganda. IT IS ALL YOURS! We, as Catholics, will continue to remain with the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and Only) true Catholic Church.
!!
You don't believe your own pope's teaching that clearly says Christ did not build a Catholic Church!!!!

this word (Greek ekklsia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). There are several possibilities for an Aramaic original. Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God....

I added: The Catholic Church is a denomination.....No denominations are named in Scripture....nor in the definition of ekklsia...

Plus further proof, from Scripture, that Christ found not the Catholic cult: In Rev, when He referred to the seven (7) churches, not one did He refer to as "Catholic". This was years after His ascension into Heaven...
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#428441 Mar 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You have no regard for your soul do you?
You're deliberately thumbing your nose at the warning John gave you.
I'm surprised you can walk, 7th.
Your testicles must be the size of soccer balls.
:-)

Location hidden

#428442 Mar 18, 2013
The Roman Catholic Church contends that its origin is the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ in approximately A.D. 30. The Catholic Church proclaims itself to be the church that Jesus Christ died for, the church that was established and built by the apostles.

Is that the true origin of the Catholic Church? On the contrary. Scripture in the New Testament reveals that the Catholic Church does not have its origin in the teachings of Jesus or His apostles.

In the New Testament, there is no mention of the papacy, worship/adoration of Mary (or the immaculate conception of Mary, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the assumption of Mary, or Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix), petitioning saints in heaven for their prayers, apostolic succession, the ordinances of the church functioning as sacraments, infant baptism, confession of sin to a priest, purgatory, indulgences, or the equal authority of church tradition and Scripture.

So, if the origin of the Catholic Church is not in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, what is the true origin of the Catholic Church?

To be continuated....

United States

#428443 Mar 18, 2013
guest wrote:
we need to go back and find my post, I forgot where it is. It lists scripture describing Jesus relationship with God the Father before he was transferred to earth to live as a human.
-
-
jethro8 wrote:
the post you are looking for is #427091,page 20598...pain in butt sister wants her pc,so i'll get back to you as soon as i can.
-
-
guest wrote:
-
does this help? All these verses pertain to Jesus, Son of God:
Jesus is the firstborn over all creation:
Col. 1:15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
http://bible.cc/colossians/1-15.htm
-
Jesus himself said he was with God before the world began:
John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
http://bible.cc/john/17-5.htm
-
Through Jesus all things were created:
John 1:
2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/john/1.htm
-
All things have been created through him and for him:
Colossians 1:
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
jethro8 wrote:
if these passages are true,why are they not mentioned in the book of genesis right away,why is it written hundreds of years later in the N.T.? which i believe are books written to clearify the mistakes (like this one)written in the O.T. i don't buy it,again jesus is god in the flesh on earth,so this theory of a single god does not exist,jesus is a god and his father was a god,jesus is called the son of god so did god had a father like jesus did? very perplexing,it's the chicken or the egg except we're dealing with people,who came first, adam or jesus was jesus a man while in heaven? then sent here as a baby? who walked in the garden of eden? god or jesus? you want your cake and be able to eat it to.if jesus is god on earth then how could he be the father to jesus? that would take two entities to pull it off,and there is suppose to be one.i know your going to tell me in some way that jesus was sent here by god to do his work,and also jesus claims to be the son of god and a king,king of the jews.if jesus (god on earth),how could there be a god in heaven at the same time?? the only rational explanation is more than one entity.
-
-
I believe you are correct about there being more than one entity.
-
Jesus said: "The Father is greater than I am." John 14:28
-
and
-
"By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me."
John 5:30
-
go to this website and type in "him who sent me" - you will get a number of verses:
-
http://biblos.com/
-
-
Seems to me this is a good verse for Catholics, who should seek to please the FATHER and not man. Jesus sought to please only the Father in Heaven and not some "self appointed" Father here on earth.
-
"By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me."
John 5:30

United States

#428444 Mar 18, 2013
guest wrote:
-
does this help? All these verses pertain to Jesus, Son of God:
-Jesus is the firstborn over all creation:
Col. 1:15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
http://bible.cc/colossians/1-15.htm
-
Jesus himself said he was with God before the world began:
John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
http://bible.cc/john/17-5.htm
-
Through Jesus all things were created:
John 1:
2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/john/1.htm
-
All things have been created through him and for him:
Colossians 1:
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
......**added link to verse, which I left out of original post**
......http://niv.scripturetext .com/colossians/1.htm
-
-
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>just wanted to say thanks for sending me an answer instead of just trash talk from oxbow and a non annswer from 7th day (no offense ment 7th). the passages would be more belivable if they were written in the o.t. especially in the book of genesis,but they are written to far into history to be totally convincing to me,need a little more proof.you did good,you are a MAN who is not afraid to speak up like some are around here,and i thank you for it.I'm a tuff nut to crack but if i can't see it, touch it, smell it, taste it,i doubt it. plus i factor in we are raised on lies,example the santa clause story,the easter bunny etc. and as children we believe in them because our trusted parents are telling us this is real,but then reality sets in,the teaching of a god is done in the same manner,believe it,even though we can not 100% prove it.
-
-
I agree with you on the stuff about Santa and the Easter bunny! We know it is historically paga and as adults we know it's simply false to boot. And we teach our kids this stuff and expect them to believe there is a God! Then we tell them we were lying all along and that Santa and the Easter bunny are nothing but a story, but that there really is a God. No wonder there is so much confusion, huh? My heart was broken when I found out there was no Santa! I wasn't so crazy about the Easter bunny.
-
It seems those who want the truth are trying to escape pagan rites and rituals a step at a time. So. I guess the way to do it is to start there. If a church teaches about Santa and the Easter bunny ... get away from it. Because if they teach stuff that is not Biblical, just because it's *fun* for the kids, they are inadvertently teaching their kids that the REAL TRUTH is not important and that lying is OK and sometimes even a GOOD thing to do.
-
Oh, jethro8, I am a girl, yep, just a woman who wants the truth, too. I hate to be lied to as much as you apparently do. People who lie to you believe you don't deserve to have the truth - but somehow they themselves deserve to know the truth - and usually liars LIE to gain unfair advantage of another. And we know what God's Word says about the Father of the Lie. I guess we can say that we have The Father of the Truth, and The Father of the Lie!
-
-
I found more verses showing the difference between Jesus and God the Father and posted them, and now I need to find them again, as well.

United States

#428445 Mar 18, 2013
oops! I apologize, I double posted,....

Location hidden

#428446 Mar 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
I agree with you on the stuff about Santa and the Easter bunny! We know it is historically paga and as adults we know it's simply false to boot. And we teach our kids this stuff and expect them to believe there is a God! Then we tell them we were lying all along and that Santa and the Easter bunny are nothing but a story, but that there really is a God. No wonder there is so much confusion, huh? My heart was broken when I found out there was no Santa! I wasn't so crazy about the Easter bunny.
-
It seems those who want the truth are trying to escape pagan rites and rituals a step at a time. So. I guess the way to do it is to start there. If a church teaches about Santa and the Easter bunny ... get away from it. Because if they teach stuff that is not Biblical, just because it's *fun* for the kids, they are inadvertently teaching their kids that the REAL TRUTH is not important and that lying is OK and sometimes even a GOOD thing to do.
-
Oh, jethro8, I am a girl, yep, just a woman who wants the truth, too. I hate to be lied to as much as you apparently do. People who lie to you believe you don't deserve to have the truth - but somehow they themselves deserve to know the truth - and usually liars LIE to gain unfair advantage of another. And we know what God's Word says about the Father of the Lie. I guess we can say that we have The Father of the Truth, and The Father of the Lie!
-
-
I found more verses showing the difference between Jesus and God the Father and posted them, and now I need to find them again, as well.
God twice plainly stated that Jesus Christ was His Son, once at His baptism, once at the "transfiguration":

"3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw The Spirit Of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

"17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#428447 Mar 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
No Ox!! It is YOU I do not believe, nor "ever will" believe ANY of your "man-made" bible only (half-truth, half-heresy) Christianity! You "fundies" are fooling no one but yourselves!...I know the sola scriptura "game" very well. I lived it for over 35 years It is a "bible pyramid game" of denial, distortion, lies and deceit, regarding the TRUTH of Apostolic Church History, and the TRUE interpretation of the Bible.----Jesus Christ NEVER wrote down "anything" and His Apostles who led and taught in the Early Churches in Antioch, Ephesus, Corinth, Thessalonica, Galacia, etc were ALL authoritative, heirarchical, visible Churches with Bishops Elder, priests and deacons (Acts 2). The few letters, parchments, and recorded documents, from the Apostles were translated by the Early Church Fathers (the written word)in 382,393, and 397 AD to form the Canon of Scripture (there was "still no bible" as we know it today until the late 16th century. The "unwritten word or the Traditions were the only thing that was taught by the Apostles (handed down by Jesus Himself)--That was it! No bible! No written word! No "bible only" preaching! No self-interpreting "hack" ministers! Jesus initiated, formed, established AND LEFT for His followers-- His One True (Universal) Church over 2000 years ago----NOT A BIBLE --You "fundies" are a bunch of "editorialist (bible only) thumping preachers" that have become "experts" at spreading your anti-catholic heretical beliefs,among your other 42,000 Protestant contradicting and inconsistent "duped" followers -------"ALL" to your own "demise and destruction"!..... God is not--nor EVER will be --the author of your "bible only" "unbiblical" Protestant "confusion, chaos and judgmental (hodge-podge) of "RELATIVE TRUTH" (self-opinionated) denominations! There is ONLY ONE TRUTH! and that TRUTH is in Jesus Christ--in and through HIS historically and biblically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church (THE BRIDE OF CHRIST)
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#428448 Mar 18, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Complete rubbish A-to-Z you wont be convincing me of your nonsense.
The Bible does not confirm anything of the Roman Church; just the opposite.
All the reformers agreed the roman pope was no true Christian.
The 7 extra papal books were only added during the Reformation around 1545; this needed to support their false doctrine and spread confusion.
I "could care less" as to what you believe! I/We as Catholics ALL know that the TRUTH of Apostolic Church History and the TRUE interpretation of the Bible, has, is and will (continue) to be in Jesus Christ in and through His One (and only one) True Apostolic
Catholic Church. Your Protestant half-truth, half-heresy (bible only) "propaganda" HAS ABSOLUTELY no basis of ANY biblical or historical truth to back up ANYTHING that it teaches. It is just more of the same old Protestant Reformation of "self-interpreting, editorializing and distorting" of the TRUE interpretation of the bible--to "make it mean ONLY what "you fundies" want it to mean"!
YOU CAN HAVE IT!! I lived this "bible only" (man-made)---- half-truth Christian (lie) for over 35 years! IT IS ALL YOURS!!
truth

Perth, Australia

#428449 Mar 18, 2013
devil is not god as well others evil wicket people..we not call this or that
we call Creator

when this planet as well others turn over then you will have heavenly explosion..one cooking bread then you will see that you are evil
nothing
simply liar
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#428450 Mar 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
He is still a dead man.....nothing more...nothing else...I could care less what the Catholics thinks he is....
You are wasting your time praying for me...you ain't gonna get me!!!!
I will put my money only on the sure thing...the Sacred Word of God...
"I will put my money on the sure thing... The Sacred Word of God"
Ya ok dude. You mean,'you'll put your money on what YOU think the Sacred Word of God is saying'

First you have to ignore historic fact; then you need to pretend Jesus taught for us to go by sola scripture; then you pretend Our Lord willed for every 'Oxbow' to pick up a bible and teach their own Christianity; then you concoct a conspiracy scenario that adheres to your ideology...
That's called designing your own tower of Babel. Jesus and the Apostles already designed the path for us, you arrogantly ignore it, and preach a different Christianity (that honestly makes zero sense and requires one to subscribe to stupidity first)
Yeah, good luck with that, many will say 'Lord, Lord'.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#428452 Mar 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
Talking to someone here is like talking to them anonymously on the street. But here, we can revisit them and try to reason with them, and when they respond we can find out more about their belief system and compare it to the Inspired Scriptures. There's nothing cowardly about it at all.
-
It took me about 5 hrs to convert an anti Catholic co -worker to Catholicism. The funny thing is, I didn't even try. I just answered his questions. I gave him helpful links. I showed him where his minister was being untruthful in his false accusations about Catholicism.
My co worker is not an ignorant man.
He came back the next day and said he's going to be received into the Catholic Church.
The Holy Spirit did it. Once someone quits playing stupid and inventing conspiracy scenarios to help their ideology (this has no place in Christianity)
The Holy Spirit is allowed to work into your lives.

Right now, you guys shut the door on truth with your own arrogance.
truth

Perth, Australia

#428453 Mar 18, 2013
why others who is not catholic better..more corupt more evil

now

one burning cooking bread
truth

Perth, Australia

#428454 Mar 18, 2013
corupt drugers and criminal media is not better justice too others institution too..as well organization all of them corupt evil full of crime

byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 830,300
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min Truth 3,935
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 17 min Student 40,218
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 26 min Classic 2,312
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 32 min Chess Jurist 442,972
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 34 min Toby 99,254
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 58 min Just Think 121,727
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr dr Shrink 611,943
More from around the web