Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685771 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#427652 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.
Now, using SCRIPTURE ALONE, demonstrate that 1Ti 2:5 should be considered scripture. Prove that it is, and do so using SCRIPTURE ALONE.
Can you?
Rob
2 Pet. 1:21, 1 Thess. 4:15, 1 Cor. 2:3, John 17:8, Gal. 1:12, 2 Tim. 3:16 (scripture is the product of the breath of God), Psalm 33:6

The Scriptures (the prophetic word) were not of “any private interpretation,” meaning that they did not originate on their own, or in the minds of those who wrote them. Scripture did not come from “the will of man.” It is not the end result of human research or human investigation into the nature of things. Scripture is not the product of its writers’ own thinking. On the contrary,“holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit”(2 Peter 1:21). The word “moved” in the original Greek means “borne” or “brought.” Peter stated that the Holy Spirit, in essence, picked up the writers (the prophets) and “brought” them to the goal of His choosing. Thus, the Scriptures, although written by means of human instrumentality, were so superintended by God that the resulting words are His.

the Bible itself provides compelling evidence about the nature of its inspiration. Perhaps of most significance is the fact that neither Jesus nor any Bible writer ever called into question a single passage of Scripture. Jesus and the writers of Scripture believed in the truthfulness and historical reliability of even the most disputed parts of the Old Testament. Notice a few examples:

While speaking to the Pharisees in the region of Judea beyond the Jordan, Jesus confirmed His belief in the real existence of an original couple created during the Creation week (Matthew 19:4; Genesis 2:24).

In writing to the church at Corinth, Paul affirmed his belief in Adam as the first human (1 Corinthians 15:45). Then, in his first letter to Timothy, he attested to the fact that Eve was created after Adam (2:13; Genesis 2:7,21-25).

Paul regarded the serpent’s deception of Eve as a historical event (2 Corinthians 11:3; 1 Timothy 2:13-14; Genesis 3).

Both Jesus and the apostle Peter believed that Noah was a real person, and that the global Flood was a historical event (Matthew 24:37-39; 2 Peter 2:5; 3:6; Genesis 6-8).

Jesus and Peter also affirmed their belief in the historicity of Lot, and in the destruction of Sodom (Luke 17:28-32; 2 Peter 2:6-7; Genesis 19).

Paul attested to the Israelites’ crossing of the Red Sea, and affirmed his belief in their drinking water from a rock (1 Corinthians 10:1-4; Hebrews 11:29; Exodus 14), while Jesus confirmed His belief in the miraculous healing of the Israelites who fixed their eyes on the bronze snake set up by Moses in the desert (John 3:14; Numbers 21:4-9).

Finally, unlike many people today, including some of those who claim to believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, Jesus regarded the account of Jonah’s three days and nights in the belly of a great fish as a historical event (Matthew 12:39-40).

Numerous other examples such as these exist, and demonstrate the trustworthiness of Scripture. The Old Testament writers who came after Moses expressed total trust in the Pentateuch, as well as in each others’ writings. Furthermore, Jesus and the New Testament writers always viewed statements by each other and the Old Testament writers as being truthful, regardless of the subject matter.

Additionally, Jesus endorsed the entirety of the Old Testament at least a dozen times.

In short, when the scriptures speak, God speaks.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#427653 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>.
Apostolic Teaching?
Don't you mean verbal tradition?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#427654 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
So, "Scripture Alone," PLUS "subjective faith experience?"
That would appear to be a rejection of "Scripture Alone."
???
Rob
No. Because scripture alone can bring the faith experience. The faith never would've happened without scripture alone, right?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#427655 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>.
Apostolic Teaching?
Considering Christianity only uses less than 6 of the original Apostles, your perception of "Apostolic Teaching" is limited, thus not exactly true in the language you put forth.

In other words, "Apostolic Teaching" would also be applied to Thomas and would be just as valid.

But it isn't in your eyes, because you allowed men to make this decision for you.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#427656 Mar 14, 2013
"Why do the four Gospels seem to present a different message of salvation than the rest of the New Testament?"

Answer: We must keep in mind that the Bible is intended to be taken as a whole. The books preceding the Four Gospels are anticipatory, and the books which follow are explanatory. Throughout the whole Bible, what God requires is faith—Genesis 15:6; Psalm 2:12; Habakkuk 2:4; Matthew 9:28; John 20:27; Ephesians 2:8; Hebrews 10:39. Salvation comes not by our own works but by trusting what God does on our behalf.

Each of the Gospels has its own emphasis on the ministry of Christ. Matthew, writing to a Jewish audience, emphasizes Jesus’ fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, proving that He is the long-awaited Messiah. Mark writes a fast-paced, condensed account, recording Jesus’ miraculous deeds and not recording His long discourses. Luke portrays Jesus as the remedy of the world’s ills, emphasizing His perfect humanity and humane concern for the weak, the suffering, and the outcast. John emphasizes Jesus’ deity by selecting many conversations and sayings of Jesus on the subject and also including “signs” that prove He is the Son of God.

The Four Gospels work together to provide a complete testimony of Jesus, a beautiful portrait of the God-Man. Although the Gospels differ slightly in theme, the central Subject is the same. All present Jesus as the One who died to save sinners. All record His resurrection. Whether the writers presented Jesus as the King, the Servant, the Son of Man, or the Son of God, they had the common goal—that people believe in Him.

We’ll delve into the theology of the Gospels now. John includes many statements of faith and commands to believe. These inclusions fit his stated purpose,“that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you might have life through His name”(20:31). The other Gospels (the Synoptics) are no less concerned that we trust in Christ. Their appeals to faith are less overt but are just as genuine.

Jesus proclaims the need for righteousness, and He warns of the penalty of sin, which is hell. However, Jesus always presents God as the standard of righteousness and Himself as the means of righteousness—without Christ, righteousness is unattainable and hell is inevitable. The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) is a case in point:

- Jesus begins the Sermon on the Mount with a description of the blessed life (5:1-12). The Beatitudes are not telling us “how to” be righteous, but are simply describing righteousness.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#427657 Mar 14, 2013
SOLA SCRIPTURE:

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

And note what Peter (first pope?)says about this:

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
2Pe 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
2Pe 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake AS THEY WERE MOVED BY THE HOLY GHOST.

The Holy Ghost STILL interprets scripture to HOLY MEN OF GOD (Not to men-appointed by men, but to those that HE appoints.)

hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#427658 Mar 14, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
I predict that one day you will return to your roots and your family and join back up with the protestants who kicked you to the curb a few years ago.
That might be good Karma for you.
Just like you "predicted" the election of the Pope, with your "pick me, pick me" nonsense....Michael-- you've have "never been right" since you came on this forum"!--AND -with a consistent "losing streak" since (day one)----You can count on a "zero chance" of my "ever" falling back into the bible only Protestant "trap" of heresy, confusion and chaotic "half-truth" Christianity (ever) again..... Protestant bible only religion sounds about right for you Michael since you enjoy spreading exaggerated "propaganda"! You would fit right in!
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#427659 Mar 14, 2013
cont

He presents Himself as the fulfillment of the Old Testament law (5:17-18). This is a key verse because, to earn our own righteousness, we must fulfill the law; here, Jesus says that He will do it for us.

- He says that no amount of our own good works will gain us entrance to heaven (5:20). This is another important statement in the sermon. The Pharisees were the most religious people of the day, but Jesus says even they are not good enough to enter heaven. Jesus will go on to say that it’s not a religious system that saves, but He Himself.

- He “raises the bar” for righteousness according to God’s standard, instead of man’s interpretation of the law (5:21-48). He explains God’s intent behind seven Old Testament laws. The bar is raised so high as to make everyone, even the most dedicated religious practitioner, guilty before God.

- He describes three popular religious activities—almsgiving, prayer, and fasting—as hypocritical when practiced by the outwardly religious (6:1-18). Jesus’ focus, as with the seven laws He just mentioned, is the heart condition of man, not the works we can see.

- He warns that there will be “many” in the day of judgment who will have performed great works for God yet will be turned away from heaven (7:21-23). The reason given is that Jesus never “knew” them. There was no familial relationship, only “good” works, which is not enough.

- Jesus concludes the Sermon on the Mount with the audacious statement that He alone is the foundation for building one’s religious life (7:24-27). It is an appeal to trust “these sayings of Mine” enough to abandon all other foundations.
To summarize, in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus meticulously deconstructs the pharisaical religion of good works, points to a holiness greater than our own, and offers Himself as the sole basis of religion. Accepting what Jesus says in this sermon requires faith in His Person.
Matthew’s Gospel goes on to emphasize faith in the following verses: 8:10, 13, 26; 9:2, 22, 28-29; 12:21; 13:58; 14:31; 15:28; 16:8; 17:17; and 18:6. Also, Matthew includes a very clear presentation of Jesus as the Son of God in this exchange:“He said to them,‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter answered and said,‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ Jesus answered and said to him,‘Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.’”(Matthew 16:15-17).
Mark’s Gospel contains the following references to faith in Christ: 1:15; 2:5; 4:40; 5:34, 36; 6:6; 9:19, 23, 42; 10:52; 11:23; and 16:14. In Luke’s Gospel we see these verses promoting faith in Christ: 1:1; 5:20; 7:9, 50; 8:12, 25, 48, 50; 9:41; 12:28, 46; 17:19; 18:8, 42; and 24:25. As we continue to see scripture as a unified whole, we will see that there is only one message of salvation, and the Four Gospels provide the basis for that message.
The Epistles which follow the Gospels elaborate upon the same theme: salvation by faith in Christ. The overarching theme of Romans is the righteousness that comes through God and the doctrine of justification by grace through faith. The central theme of Galatians and Colossians is the same same. The book of Hebrews stresses the pre-eminence and perfection of Christ, the “author and perfecter of our faith.” First and Second Corinthians, Ephesians, Philippians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, the pastoral epistles of Timothy and Titus, Philemon, James, 1 and 2 Peter, all describe the holy living, both personally and corporately within the church, and the hope for the future which should be the natural result of life in Christ. The three epistles of John reiterate the basics of the faith and warn against those who would call them into question, also the main theme of Jude. Revelation, the final book of the New Testament, presents the last act of God’s plan for mankind and the fate of those who hold onto the same faith expounded in the entirety of the New Testament—faith in Christ alone.

#427660 Mar 14, 2013
who="Saban fan"
No. Because scripture alone can bring the faith experience. The faith never would've happened without scripture alone, right?

Rom 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#427661 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
That last part is a bit of trying to change the subject. We're not talking about papal sucession. We're talking about Sola Scriptura.
I see you are back to citing scripture as your source for whether a passage is scripture.(I *thought* you were going with subjective personal experience and faith, but perhaps you have changed your mind?)
So, now you are citing this:
2 Timothy 3:15-17
Okay.
NOW, using SCRIPTURE ALONE, prove that I ought to consider 2 Timothy authoritative (that is to say, "scripture.")
I am not saying I reject it. I'm saying thatyou have the task, if you are going to hold to Sola Scriptura, of proving, using SCRIPTURE ALONE, that your text is authoritative/scripture.
Rob
In one post you scold me for citing scripture as my source for scripture and at the same time scold me for not using scripture to prove scripture alone.

I'll repeat ---(because that may have confused you as much as it did me....)---

In one post you scold me for citing scripture as my source for the validity of scripture and at the same time scold me for not using scripture to prove scripture alone.

Are you actually New Age Spiritual Leader?????

REALLY?!

notice again:

This was not written to your "pope"

2 Timothy 3:15-17

and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#427662 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
???
Rob
No. It's not. SCRIPTURE tells me "faith comes by hearing". If it weren't for scripture, I'd have never had faith.

It's ALL scripture Alone!!!!
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#427663 Mar 14, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.
So, they are to be considered scripture/authoritative because they "agree with each other?"
(Careful. It's a bit of a trap.)
Rob
There is no TRAP.

Truth cannot be trapped!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#427664 Mar 14, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical: Of, relating to, or contained in the Bible.
So then....the truth of which you speak as being possessed by the "Church" comes from the Bible...
ALL THREE----of, relating to and in the bible which is (the written word)---- AND---- included in that are the Traditions that were passed on by Jesus to the Apostles (the unwritten word). In 2 Thess 2:15 Paul teaches that we are to obey the Apostolic Tradition which is the oral teachings of Jesus (again) handed on to the Apostles and the that those teachings of the Apostles, were was dictated to them by the Holy Spirit....... Furthermore, Paul confirms this TRUTH in I Timothy 3:15, when he calls,"The Church (not the bible alone) as the Pillar, Pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH!!!

#427665 Mar 14, 2013
who="Robert Dye"
???
Rob

Scripture alone (the gospel) IS THE POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION.

Believing it brings about the faith experience, which only proves the power of the scripture.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#427666 Mar 14, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Saban fan"
Rom 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
which came first the chicken or the egg?
Yahchanan

Yukon, OK

#427667 Mar 14, 2013
Tickle each others ears. And trying to prove one has knowledge of the scriptures Let me tell you you do not As it say's in the scripture Understanding only comes from the reverence Of the creator And you do not reverence him so you do not have understanding.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#427668 Mar 14, 2013
I ask you again as I have before...
WHERE IN THE SCRIPTURES ABOVE DOES IT SAY...
1.Roman Catholic church..
2. pope
3.papal succession..
4 traditions...
5 dogma..
6. immaculate conception...
5.holy assumption...
6.to worship icons images, statues and idols..
7. transubstantiation
exclusive rights..to any one Church...franchise monopoly...
8.control of God's grace...
9. that Eucharist guarantees salvation...
10 that Rome trumps Zion...Jerusalem
11.Cardinals..
ii.Nuns
12. Vatican basilica...has replaced God's Holy temple in Jerusalem
13.Catechism trumps the Bible
14. celibacy
16 worship of saints..
17 canalization of saints
18 creating patron saints
19 collection of Relics
20...edition of God's word
So where does it say "in the bible" that every word, every sentence, every phrase MUST BE (in the bible) in order for it to be true. Where (in the bible) are the words:
1. bible
2. bible only
3. sola scriptura
4. trinity
5. the Apostles Creed
6. "a personal relationship" with Jesus

You "fundies" keep saying that the Bible is the only source of truth and the final authority..... The fact is that "nowhere" in the bible does it say it is the ONLY authority, but (on the contrary) the bible says "just the opposite"...... The Bible tell us that the "Church" is the final authority in I Timothy 3:15 when Paul calls "The Church (not the bible alone) as the Pillare, Pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#427669 Mar 14, 2013
who="Robert Dye"
???
Rob
Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#427670 Mar 14, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
All right, back to Scripture Alone, then. Set aside whatever you said before about your faith in the Holy Spirit, or what * you* have faith in, or whatever else.
Scripture Alone, yes?
I will set aside some of your earlier posts, as you not really being sure where you wanted to stand.(Such as where you said, "Both.")
You can ONLY use scripture, correct?
Okay. Them's the rules.
Now, you either didn't like my picking Matthew, or you thought you smelled some sort of trap.
So this time, YOU pick.
Pick any verse, or any chapter, or and book of the scripture.(or outside of the scriptures, but then you will be arguing for the opposite, that it is NOT to be considered scripture.)
So, what is your pick?
Once we have it, we can move forward.
Rob

Location hidden

#427671 Mar 14, 2013
634 473 416
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. It's a Bible buffet, pick and chose what you want and leave the rest.
Jesus teaches (1) to love thy neighbor, and (2) to hate yourself and your entire family.
Thank you for loving me Oxbow, but I think it's OK to stop hating your wife and children now.
I wish a holy ghost would explain all the mysteries of the Universe to me.
Spoken like a true student of Bible Study!!!!! Ignore: And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the most forbidden sex you have had ? (Nov '16) 1 hr StefH 10
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr Maria 26,450
Truth About The Term: "White Nationalists" 4 hr Johnny 12
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Test 985,711
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 4 hr Johnny 31
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Jake999 6,449
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 4 hr Johnny 70
More from around the web