Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
411,881 - 411,900 of 537,275 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

StarC wrote:
Jesus appointed the first Pope, to carry on His Church on earth, LTM. Thank you Jesus!
Mt 16:18
"POPE FRANCIS I", Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglo,
from Argentina. First Latin American Pope ever!
Now we need to apply the following to his New or Old Name.

Peter Romanus

He is of Italian and Hispanic origin I take it. Wonder if he has any ties to the tribe of DAN ?
Free Mind

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Ganador! Ganador!......
Italians are once again crying into their cappuccino.
The number one language spoken worldwide by roman catholics is SPANISH.
He is an honest man. Unlike so many here, he admits that he prays to Mary.

Pope Francis' parting remarks... "Brothers and sisters, I leave you. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Pray for me and we'll see each other soon. Tomorrow I want to go pray to the Madonna. And I want to wish to all of Rome. Goodnight and good rest."

No jokes. We all know he meant he was going to pray to Mary, Queen of Heaven, not a pop singer.

Let us all pray to the Madonna along with the new Pope. He is an honest man.

This puts to bed the question -- "Do Catholics pray to Mary."
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pointing out the indefensible false teaching Catholics subscribe to. I notice you attack the messenger rather than the facts within the message. No big deal. You have no refute to the false teaching claims. And, the undeniable FACT that there is no inspiration shown in the choosing of this man like there was when GOD chose his men.
Why not give up Lent for Lent. It's unscriptural tradition of men.
1 Tim. 1:3-4
Timothy Charged to Oppose False Teachers
3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.
Matthew 7:14-16
14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
True and False Prophets
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
I always found it ironic, but sad, how cult members turn around and say others are led by false prophets.
Saban, every single one of you were started by a false prophet. And your theology was started by the Grand Dad of false prophets, Martin Luther.
He invented an idea called Sola Scripture. This is a baseless thought that the Books the Catholic Church put in the Bible, are the only source authority about Christianity. Its silly and unbiblical in itself. Yet, millions of you bit from this apple, now you're completely lost in the world of sola scripture.
You seem like a decent man, Saban. But you need to wake your ignorant brain up. There is only one Church traced to Jesus Christ, and it ain't your fantasy man made one.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Khatru wrote:
No doubt all that smoke coming from Vatican chimneys was from evidence being burned.
Evidence of corruption, money laundering, child abuse, cover-ups, etc.
Vapors of Smoke.........mmmmmmmmm
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>Now we need to apply the following to his New or Old Name.
Peter Romanus
He is of Italian and Hispanic origin I take it. Wonder if he has any ties to the tribe of DAN ?
Looks like your cult leaders will have trouble connecting a prophecy with this one. Lol
Free Mind

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

On behalf of 90% of humanity, apologies accepted Pope Francis.

No spin. Your words were guided by God.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it (coC) is what the Catholic church morphed from.
I find people in scripture worshiping in the same manner we do, you can't say that for yourself.
You say we hijacked the sacred writings? You hijacked the church and you do interpret it for yourself. You're instructed to listen to the interpretations and have someone interpret it for you. Folks on here have even told me it is unscriptural to be scriptural. The malarky y'all teach!!!
That's cute Saban, but untrue. Church of Christ?!
Come on dude. There is zero evidence you guys existed before the 19th century.
Its a clever name but its a cult. Cult in every sense of the word.
Free Mind

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I always found it ironic, but sad, how cult members turn around and say others are led by false prophets.
Saban, every single one of you were started by a false prophet. And your theology was started by the Grand Dad of false prophets, Martin Luther.
He invented an idea called Sola Scripture. This is a baseless thought that the Books the Catholic Church put in the Bible, are the only source authority about Christianity. Its silly and unbiblical in itself. Yet, millions of you bit from this apple, now you're completely lost in the world of sola scripture.
You seem like a decent man, Saban. But you need to wake your ignorant brain up. There is only one Church traced to Jesus Christ, and it ain't your fantasy man made one.
Clay, honor your new Pope and embrace the love that he called for.

There were many false prophets eons before Martin Luther, so calling him "the Grand Dad of false prophets" is mean.
Free Mind

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

It was a wise move. I salute the Cardinals.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

StarC wrote:
We have a new Pope!!!
Thanks be to God!!
News on every single channel!!!
Star C ....screams!!.......We have a new Pope!! We have a new Pope!

Michael says.......Star C said to herself. Who is Jorge Bergoglio?

.....but we have a new Pope! we have a new Pope!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Question:

The Catholics base their entire religion on the belief of ''Sacred Tradition'' and ''Apostolic Supremacy.'' Catholics claimed that a man named Linus was the second pope and succeeded Peter in 67 A.D. And they believe him to be the same Linus mention in II Timothy 4:21. They even have a list of popes [The List of Popes]. When asked about this a Catholic told me they got the list of ''early popes'' from Irenaeus, Jerome, Eusebius, and John Chrysostom. The problem there is that none of those people were born in the first century and were around like the apostles were with Jesus. I suppose my question after all of this is: Is it possible that there were men around who claimed to be Pope?

Also, Catholics believe in sacred tradition because they claim the Bible itself is tradition. They have their councils because they believe that examples of ecumenical councils are in the New Testament. And they do not believe in the authority of the Bible because they say nowhere in the Bible does it have a list of the books that are only to be used in living a Christian life and they think that the Bible didn't exist before they canonized it in the fourth century when it says all over the New Testament ''these things that are written.'' Could you address Sacred Tradition?

----------

Answer:

Since the title "pope" wasn't accepted until Boniface in 606 A.D., no there were no popes prior to this time. Even the Roman Catholics admit that the early so-called popes were the names of bishops in Rome. In this we can see the Roman bias of wanting to be the center of religion. They choose to ignore that in the early days of Christianity there was no earthly central authority. Yes, there was a discussion in Jerusalem (Acts 15), but you will find that the cause was that some member of the Jerusalem were going around to other churches telling them that their members had to keep the Jewish laws. Jerusalem, realizing this was false doctrine, sent letters and men out to tell the other churches they were not behind these teachings and did not send these false teachers out.

Even later, when the eldership started being corrupted and one elder was being elevated over the others, Roman was still not the center of religion. There were local regions of which Constantinople held more sway that Rome for quite a while.

What you found is simply a rewriting of history to create support for later beliefs. I have no reason to doubt that these early men lived, but I strongly believe they never saw themselves as popes.

The elevation of tradition above the Bible has been discussed several times. See:

"The Roman Catholic church doesn't evolve, it realigns itself with the past."
Is the Bible the only source of authority?
How did your Bible come into existence?
Roman Catholic Quotes Regarding the Bible
Are the objections to Catholicism without foundation?
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Free Mind wrote:
It was a wise move. I salute the Cardinals.
The past 2 hours every catholic on the planet has been googling "WHO IS JORGE BERGOGLIO?

......and catholics claim they know everything about their faith.

UNBELIEVABLE!

7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like your cult leaders will have trouble connecting a prophecy with this one. Lol
You are absolutley Cireect. It was a roman catholic prophecy from one opf your own..ROTFLOL
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Really! Which False prophet started the church of Christ?

How is it unbiblical to follow the scriptures? I'm assuming when you say unbiblical you can present scriptures to justify that statement..... So.... How is it unbiblical to follow the scriptures and scriptures only?

Point out some examples of your worship, church government, practiced baptism etc. from the first century church we read about in scripture.

Also, why don't you point out some things the first century church did that the church of Christ does not do or vice versa.

You're just an apostate morphed out version we were warned about in the NT.- If not the church of Catholics, who is?
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:

<quoted text>
Looks like your cult leaders will have trouble connecting a prophecy with this one.

7Th Day wrote:

Lol
You are absolutley Correct. It is a roman catholic prophecy from one of your own..ROTFLOL

The Prophecy of the Popes (Latin: Prophetia Sancte Malachiae Archiepiscopi, de Summis Pontificibus) is a series of 112 short, cryptic phrases in Latin which purport to predict the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few antipopes), beginning with Pope Celestine II. The alleged prophecies were first published by Benedictine monk Arnold Wion in 1595. Wion attributes the prophecies to Saint Malachy, a 12th&#8209;century Archbishop of Armagh, Ireland.

<Snicker>
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's cute Saban, but untrue. Church of Christ?!
Come on dude. There is zero evidence you guys existed before the 19th century.
Its a clever name but its a cult. Cult in every sense of the word.
Who's name is on it? If you are Christ's church why doesn't your name suggest it?

Rom. 16:16b - All the churches of Christ send greetings.

The evidence the church of Christ existed before the 19th century is, as Rom. 16:16b suggests, it is the church you read about in your NT. You will find no difference in our worship, our baptism, or our church government than that taught to the first century church. Unless you can prove that statement wrong, I suggest you got some esplanin' to do about the church of Catholics.

Christ's church was first. False teaching, as we were told it would, crept in and took the church of Catholics on a de-railed mission of men.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

St Christopher delisted and purged from the catholic patron saints list. Why? Because there is no knowledge that he ever existed.

Thats not good.

........The one-time Catholic patron saint of travellers, Saint Christopher -- whose name means "Christ carrier" -- is not mentioned in the Bible.

....While there may have been a 3rd century Greek martyr named Christopher, the story told of him is now generally acknowledged to be a 12th century addendum to the Christian canon.

.... Christopher is typically depicted as a tall, middle-aged, bearded man with a staff who wades across a river carrying the Christ child on his shoulders.

....As the story goes, the extremely robust Christopher devoted his life to carrying people across an otherwise unfordable stream. One day a little child appeared before him and asked to be carried across. To Christopher's surprise, as he forded the river, the child steadily increased in weight until Christopher found his tiny burden so heavy that it was amost impossible to bear. When he asked the holy babe why he weighed so much, the child replied that he carried the world's sins upon his shoulders. As a reward for his service, Christopher's staff was miraculously transformed into a living tree, and Christopher himself became the Patron Saint of travellers.

In modern times a major center of his cult was in Italy and among Italian-Americans, a fact that did not stop the Vatican from de-canonizing him during a late 20th century purge of the list of saints. Saint Christopher medals and holy cards are more difficult to find now that his status has been downgraded to that of a mere legend, but they are still being manufactured and many Mexican and Italian Catholics still believe that his image is the best amulet to carry in one's wallet, wear on a necklace while on a journey, or hang from the rear view mirror attachment of one's car.

A man loved by millions of catholics, who never actually existed.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
Do You Know God? Or do you Just Believe in Him?
Do you know God PERSONALLY or do you have an intimate personal relationship with hem
Do you ONLY KNOW what YOUR CHURCH says about Him.
The Apostle Paul wrote...
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Php 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
DO YOU JUST
1.BELIEVE IN YOUR CHURCH...
2.BELIEVE IN GOD...
OR
3. DO YOU HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP ESTABLISHED WITH GOD,... through His Son Jesus Christ?
~~~
DOES GOD KNOW YOU...
Can it be said of you... as God said of Abraham...
Gen_18:19 For I know him/ABRAHAM, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
-->DO YOU SAY AS JOSHUAH SAID..
Jos_24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD,
choose you this day whom ye will serve;
whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood,
or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell:
-->but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
___
COULD IT BE SAID OF YOU..BY evil spirits ...(GOD'S AND YOUR COMMON ENEMIES)..FROM THE NEITHER WORLD..
as the evil spirit... said to the seven sons of one Sceva
Act 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said,
Jesus I know, and
Paul I know; but
who are ye?
~~~
Is Christ abiding in you.... to the point that you are protected from Evil Spirits...by His presence.
Is Christ abiding IN YOU...that what He said might be fulled...
Joh_15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
WILL JESUS SAY ...when you stand before Him..
Mat_7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Luk_13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
AGAIN I ASK ...WHAT IS YOU PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD?
We/as Catholics--ALL know Our Lord and HE knows us, as we accept Him each day as personal Savior, have a personal relationship with Him, receiving His TRUE body and TRUE blood "each day" at daily Mass in the Eucharist, listen to, hear, read and follow His word (every day) worshiping , HIM---- again--each day at Daily Mass,---- in the FULLNESS of the FAITH and the FULLNESS of the TRUTH--in and through His ONE TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church
The ONLY we know about you Confrinting--is that--you can list bible verses, and not much else!!!
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Hoho, are you mentally capable of dealing with the topic at hand? If so, please respond. If not then you are just blowing smoke.:)
The topic of discussion, for you 4GVN, continually reverts back to the (same subject), since the 1st day you came on this forum.....It is your bible only (personal opinionated) distorted "editorializing interpretation" of Sacred Scripture, from your "heretical sources"
Ron Rhodes and James McCarthy! In you case 4GVN---"nothing has changed"!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min bad bob 172,991
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min thewordofme 730,536
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min needs more ammo 117,862
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min GodFreeByChoice 5,344
Last Word + 2 20 min Tender Mercies 423
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min BenAdam 599,569
*DIRE 2014 Forewarnings - 2nd, 3rd BLOOD MOONS 28 min YtubeNews 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Charlie Sheen 259,373

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••