Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,446
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Robert Dye

Muskogee, OK

#427080 Mar 11, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
WHILE I DO NOT DENY THAT THERE ARE ANGELS THAT WATCH UPON US ALL..
I question what you posted about Saints being involved in the prob;ems upon earth..
I do not believe the dead have the slightest idea of what is transpiring upon the earth...
While I believe departed Spirits are with God...
I cannot believe that it would be heaven for them ...If they were
burdened with the cares of people on the earth...and were reminded and had to contend with with the sin that is rampant.
It would be Hell in Heaven for them...They would not be in a place of peace, nor would they be free from worry and care...
In your wildest dreams...
Your imagination surely is running overtime in something that cannot be proven by the Bible..
Exactly right, "confrinting!"
Where did it EVER say that ANY human who had died had ANYTHING to do with what was happening on earth after their death?
If those in Heaven DID have any concern with what was happening on earth, them surely the NT would have revealed this, with, say, the most important of the OT persons, such as Moses (representing the Law) and Elijah (representing the Prophets).
Their absence speaks volumes in support of your position!

United States

#427082 Mar 11, 2013
guest wrote:
-
It is never appropriate to ignore the words of Jesus himself. And for some reason you cannot comprehend that.
-
But, show me where Timothy calls Paul "father" ... or is that one of those *verses* that was not recorded and preserved?
-
-
Clay wrote:
There is no scripture that shows Timothy calling Paul 'Father'. Timothy didn't write any of the New Testament.

It would be completely legal and normal if he did, since Paul referred to him as his son. We can base this on tradition and early Christian writings that it was appropriate to call Priests and Bishops, such as Paul,'father'.

Boy, you guys sure have allot of scripture verses to hide behind.
Don't you think at some point, you're going to need to prove that sola scripture exists? That Jesus commanded it? That the Apostles taught it?

I don't think you'll be able to smuggle your highlighted Bible into judgement day to show God your verses that you went 'all inn' with.
-
No. It would NOT be appropriate for Timothy to call Paul Father - and that is PROBABLY why he did not do it. He HEARD and OBEYED the words of Jesus, "Call no man Father."
-
so there you have it, just me, hiding behind *scripture* AGAIN ...
-
YOU are hiding behind the skirts of the Pope, and his underlings - as always ....
-
Wonder what YOU will do come judgment when Jesus says, "Get away from me, I never knew you." you just may be able to hide under the skirts of priests come judgment ... But I'll bet Jesus will know you're there. and, no doubt, you will share the same judgment.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/matthew/7.htm
True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me,‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day,‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly,‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
-
You know Clay, the pope whose skirt you are hiding behind varies from century to century, for instance:
-
Those who murdered and tortured in the name of God, hid behind the skirts of Pope Innocent IV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Inquisi...
Torture could be used after 1252. On May 15, Pope Innocent IV issued a papal bull entitled Ad exstirpanda
whoops! THIS must be one of those things that was NOT recorded in the Bible.
-
Those who aided and abetted Stephen VI hid behind his skirts:
Stephen VI was Pope from 896 to 897. Fueled by his anger with Pope Formosus, his predecessor, he exhumed Formosus's rotting corpse
THIS SORT OF STUFF is called necrophilia.
-
The guy who bought the papacy hid behind Benedict IX skirts:
Benedict IX was Pope from 1032 to 1044, again in 1045, and finally from 1047 to 1048, the only man to have served as Pope for three discontinuous periods,... Benedict gave up his papacy for the first time in exchange for a large sum of money.
-
A murderer hid behind this pope's skirts:
Sergius III was Pope from 897 to 911, and has been the only pope known to have ordered the murder of another pope and the only known to have fathered an illegitimate son who later became pope;
-

there's more of these *hiding behind the pope's skirts* horror stories here:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/ar...
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#427083 Mar 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Show of scripture show me scripture. Give me verse chapter verse chapter. Lol
I'll tell you what, you give me verse chapter that says the Bible is all that's revealed about Jesus Christ and His Ministry. Give me a verse that says we need a Bible to be the sole pillar of teaching on Christianity; the only truth revealed by the Apostles?
Otherwise, there really is no need to go further with you fundies.
Heck, you even take the 'fun' out of fundie.
Lol.
I will present it to you yet again, Clay. The bible claims to be the fery 'word of God'. Jesus himself quoted scripture and stated that 'GOD said'. If Jesus is correct about scripture being God's word, what do you believe can stand as equal to Goc's word. Is there anything else that should be considered as equal? Nothing else in the world is called by Our Lord, The Word of God. So what will you place your faith in as the final autority?

United States

#427084 Mar 11, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
guest wrote:
-
Yes, we know Paul wrote a couple more letters.
-
Yes, common sense tells us not every detail of Christ's life was recorded for posterity. One would have to be a complete fool not to recognize that.
-
But if you truly love Jesus Christ, you will listen to him - rather than listening to man. One should listen to and pay heed to the words Jesus said that WERE recorded. If you can't obey a direct command from Jesus ... then why even worry about stuff that no longer exists - because it was NOT recorded and preserved by Holy Spirit?
-
I would think a person who prizes common sense would would realize God has left us adequate information, and if we listen to it - and not ADD to it - it is sufficient.
-
When you blatantly ignore Jesus' words that WERE RECORDED, "Call no man father..." you treat him with contempt!... so why even bother obsessing about what was NOT recorded or preserved?
-
You should know this: ALL that WAS preserved, by God's Holy Spirit, is adequate for the Christian believer. True Christians realize this, and listen to Christ.
-
Jesus said it - he meant it. and he said it for a reason. You ignore his direct command when you call a priest 'Father'.
New Age writes:
You wrote - "When you blatantly ignore Jesus' words that WERE RECORDED,"
Sounding sort of hypocritical, aren't you?
If you take what is recorded int he Bible, ONLY, then YOU are blatantly ignoring non-canonical written texts (recorded).
Do you use only the NT to come to this decision of yours?
You can follow all the non-canonical written texts you want. Have at it, there are plenty to choose from:
-
The Qur'an
The Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants
The Kitab-i-Iqan
The Zend-Avesta
The Rigveda
.. there are many more and probably all inclusive with the "New Age" people.

but me? hypocritical? I don't think so. I WON'T follow the pope, I follow Christ instead - and that is NOT hypocritical.
-
What Catholics don't understand is this: If you want to call yourself a Christian, you gotta do what Christ said to do. nothing more. You don't get to make it up as you go along. Which is what he Catholic church does, while accusing everyone else of doing that very thing.
The world of Christianity is so confused BECAUSE of the Catholic church, and trying to extract themselves from the RC church has led to the confusion. There are MANY traditions of men that people have a difficult time giving up ... but I think the further away one gets from the Catholic church ... the closer to Christianity you become - starting with, "Call no man father."
-
AGAIN!... right out of the starting gate -
they
disobey
Christ.
By going AGAINST the direct words of Christ, they show that they are not FOLLOWERS of Christ.
-
Stop signs say *STOP* for a reason. It is a DIRECT COMMAND. IF you read the sign and PROCEED anyway, you could lose your life and cause the death of others in an accident.
-
Likewise, Jesus said, "Call no man your father." FOR A REASON. It is a DIRECT COMMAND - if you ignore his words and do it anyway.... you could lose your life.
marge

Ames, IA

#427085 Mar 11, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly right, "confrinting!"
Where did it EVER say that ANY human who had died had ANYTHING to do with what was happening on earth after their death?
If those in Heaven DID have any concern with what was happening on earth, them surely the NT would have revealed this, with, say, the most important of the OT persons, such as Moses (representing the Law) and Elijah (representing the Prophets).
Their absence speaks volumes in support of your position!
wow you use the tranfiguration of Jesus as a reason for praying to the dead saints?

You need to read it again and hear this part for sure, God said; "This is my dearly loved Son who brings my great joy. Listen to Him"

Listen to Him!

And think about why Jesus had to be tranformed to talk with Moses and Elijah.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#427086 Mar 11, 2013
076 066
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Show of scripture show me scripture. Give me verse chapter verse chapter. Lol
I'll tell you what, you give me verse chapter that says the Bible is all that's revealed about Jesus Christ and His Ministry. Give me a verse that says we need a Bible to be the sole pillar of teaching on Christianity; the only truth revealed by the Apostles?
Otherwise, there really is no need to go further with you fundies.
Heck, you even take the 'fun' out of fundie.
Lol.
You are truly a blessing!!!! Thanks for proving that my words are undeniably truth and correct...quote:

There is no Scripture that says "Call no one your son"....there is no Scripture that shows Timothy calling Paul "father"...

There is no Scripture that shows the apostles being called "father"...

You are still in that fog!!!!! You need to go back to your Hollywood 101 Seminar...study, again, the following courses: The Robe, the Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, David and Bathsheba...

Question: Do they still teach that Moses built the ark?????
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#427087 Mar 11, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>if god is the uncreated creator,then can you give me plausible answers to this, genesis:1:26 And God said, Let us make man in "our image",, after "our" likeness,...he clearly states the word "our" twice,question,who is he talking to? I have asked this question a few times in the past and no one answered me,i figured since the catholics have a direct line to god (the vicar of christ)the pope,they could answer it,but no one does not even pope hojo who is an expert in religion.
Jethro here is what God told me:

I am that I am.

Do Therefore: It Is What It is !!!

United States

#427088 Mar 11, 2013
Clay,

Let's say you are a student driver in a car and you approach a sigh that says "STOP'. Your driving instructor says, "Eh, it's okay to go through the sign. It doesn't REALLY mean for you to stop."
-
Does this reaction from your driving instructor show that he is a capable instructor who knows what he is doing? and do you think it is wise to continue taking your chances by following his instruction?
-
You come up to a street light - it's turning red - your instructor tells you that "red" really means go and "green" really means stop, despite what all the driving manuals say. Do you blow through the red light anyway?
-
He says you are OK on a one-way street going north but you can clearly see the one-way sign is pointing south - what would you do?
-
Do you blindly follow his directions?
-
OR:
-
Do you question the sanity of the driving instructor and finally begin to think for yourself at this point? If not ... at what point do you question your own sanity?

Location hidden

#427089 Mar 11, 2013
guest wrote:
Clay,
Let's say you are a student driver in a car and you approach a sigh that says "STOP'. Your driving instructor says, "Eh, it's okay to go through the sign. It doesn't REALLY mean for you to stop."
-
Does this reaction from your driving instructor show that he is a capable instructor who knows what he is doing? and do you think it is wise to continue taking your chances by following his instruction?
-
You come up to a street light - it's turning red - your instructor tells you that "red" really means go and "green" really means stop, despite what all the driving manuals say. Do you blow through the red light anyway?
-
He says you are OK on a one-way street going north but you can clearly see the one-way sign is pointing south - what would you do?
-
Do you blindly follow his directions?
-
OR:
-
Do you question the sanity of the driving instructor and finally begin to think for yourself at this point? If not ... at what point do you question your own sanity?
My info is that he has already questioned his own sanity. His answer came back "What sanity?"?????

United States

#427090 Mar 11, 2013
*sign*

United States

#427091 Mar 11, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
if god is the uncreated creator,then can you give me plausible answers to this, genesis:1:26 And God said, Let us make man in "our image",, after "our" likeness,...he clearly states the word "our" twice,question,who is he talking to? I have asked this question a few times in the past and no one answered me,i figured since the catholics have a direct line to god (the vicar of christ)the pope,they could answer it,but no one does not even pope hojo who is an expert in religion.
-
does this help? All these verses pertain to Jesus, Son of God:

Jesus is the firstborn over all creation:
Col. 1:15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
http://bible.cc/colossians/1-15.htm

Jesus himself said he was with God before the world began:
John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
http://bible.cc/john/17-5.htm

Through Jesus all things were created:
John 1:
2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
http://niv.scripturetext.com/john/1.htm

All things have been created through him and for him:
Colossians 1:
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Location hidden

#427092 Mar 11, 2013
Clay is past delirious!!! He said: "The Pope can never go against scripture."

United States

#427093 Mar 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Clay is past delirious!!! He said: "The Pope can never go against scripture."
-
going against scripture is bad enough.
-
but going against the VERY WORDS OF CHRIST and being called Father is totally mind boggling.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#427094 Mar 12, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
going against scripture is bad enough.
-
but going against the VERY WORDS OF CHRIST and being called Father is totally mind boggling.
How true.Romanists claim they 'follow the teachings of the Bible'... yet they totally disregard it... judging from theor useless idols, icons, calling priests' Father', their elected popes 'His Holiness' and 'The Holy Father'.... to say nothing of the inventions of purgatory and indulgences!

Location hidden

#427095 Mar 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true guest. The Pope can never go against scripture. In a sense, he can't even 'privately' interpret scripture. Nothing he says can go against Church teachings. If he does, we are obligated to publicly rebuke him like Paul did to Peter. Saint Thomas of Aquinas and numerous others in the 2,000 yr history have publicly rebuked the sitting Pope for going against Church teachings.
"the road to hell is paved with the skulls of Bishops and Priests"
Saint Athenasas council of Nicaea 325 AD.
"It is better for scandals to arise then the truth be suppressed"
Pope Gregory the Great
Your 'church teachings' are not only man-made, but traditionally FALSE.
NOWHERE does the Bible say to pray to Mary and to lifeless, useless statuary.
Nowhere does it mention silly indulgences, or purgatory, to say nothing of a pope, elected or otherwise.

Location hidden

#427096 Mar 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Pope can never go against scripture."
Horse puckett...
He teaches to pray to Mary...that is against Scripture..
He teaches to confess to a man....that is against Scripture..
He teaches that Mary was sinless..that is against Scripture..
He teaches to pray to dead "Saints"...that is against Scripture..
He teaches Mary's is a mediator...that is against Scripture...
He teaches Mary is a virgin evermore...that is against Scripture..
He teaches Mary is the mother of God...that is against Scripture..
I have many more....
Right on.
Romanist 'teaching' is way off in left field.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#427097 Mar 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are vomiting trash...go hiss some place else...please....
so your telling me that that i'm vomitting trash? so what's written in the bible is trash? my points i made came directly from the bible,so you are agreeing with me that the bible is what i said it is,over embelished man created stories to make us believe a god exists?? if you don't read all the posts,and give me an answer,instead of being rude.

usa

#427098 Mar 12, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>Jethro here is what God told me:
I am that I am.
Do Therefore: It Is What It is !!!
so your telling me like oxbow did,you can not give me an answer,which i expected.

usa

#427099 Mar 12, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
John 1:
2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
Colossians 1:
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
if these passages are true,why are they not mentioned in the book of genesis right away,why is it written hundreds of years later in the N.T.? which i believe are books written to clearify the mistakes (like this one)written in the O.T. i don't buy it,again jesus is god in the flesh on earth,so this theory of a single god does not exist,jesus is a god and his father was a god,jesus is called the son of god so did god had a father like jesus did? very perplexing,it's the chicken or the egg except we're dealing with people,who came first, adam or jesus was jesus a man while in heaven? then sent here as a baby? who walked in the garden of eden? god or jesus? you want your cake and be able to eat it to.if jesus is god on earth then how could he be the father to jesus? that would take two entities to pull it off,and there is suppose to be one.i know your going to tell me in some way that jesus was sent here by god to do his work,and also jesus claims to be the son of god and a king,king of the jews.if jesus (god on earth),how could there be a god in heaven at the same time?? the only rational explanation is more than one entity.

usa

#427100 Mar 12, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
John 1:
Colossians 1:
just wanted to say thanks for sending me an answer instead of just trash talk from oxbow and a non annswer from 7th day (no offense ment 7th). the passages would be more belivable if they were written in the o.t. especially in the book of genesis,but they are written to far into history to be totally convincing to me,need a little more proof.you did good,you are a MAN who is not afraid to speak up like some are around here,and i thank you for it.I'm a tuff nut to crack but if i can't see it, touch it, smell it, taste it,i doubt it. plus i factor in we are raised on lies,example the santa clause story,the easter bunny etc. and as children we believe in them because our trusted parents are telling us this is real,but then reality sets in,the teaching of a god is done in the same manner,believe it,even though we can not 100% prove it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 5 min MUQ2 37,813
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min onemale 265,132
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Hukt on Fonix 775,144
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min NEWS-FLASH 175,621
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 37 min WasteWater 14
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr WasteWater 39,343
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr WasteWater 5,106
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Ugly Truth from d... 604,998
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web