Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654128 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

4GVN

Jackson, MO

#425656 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter means Rock.
Jesus to Peter "you are a rock. And upon this rock I will build my original Church!
He didn't say, "Simon, the faith you have is a rock, And upon this faith I will build my Church"
He said, "YOU Peter." Not 'Your faith, Simon'
He literally called Peter a rock.
Thought you guys were word for word Bible literalist. Sola scripturalist.
No, Clay, that is NOT what He said. What He did say is,'Thou art PETRA and on PETROS I will build My church.' This is what the very 'word of God' says. Perhaps you should study more and argue less. Now will you admit you are in error? Probably not, but we will see.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#425657 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
His authority isn't flawed. What makes you say that? Because Peter was a sinner just like everybody? Peter, although a sinner, taught the truth without error.
Wouldn't you say the Apostles ( although sinners) taught without error?
I would hope you wouldn't skirt around this truth.
Why would I say that???

If Peter is a sinner and he has the authority to Christ's church here on earth, how is the church itself not flawed?

Why does it makes sense to you that Christ would give authority to a sinner to run His church here on earth?
Clay

Lawrence, MA

#425658 Mar 4, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>To all of the followers of Christ. Not to a denomination. No person or group of people have special status. God is no respecter of persons (any persons). The scriptures are for ALL who are called according to His purpose. To all who love Him.
Where do the scriptures say that??

Did Jesus give you the authority to bind on Earth and loose on Earth? No. He gave Peter the keys. Not you.

Did Peter - upon receiving this authority - print a bunch of letters and epistles and hand them out to the 4gvns of the world? No.
He ordained as Bishops, Linus, Clement and appointed Johns Disciple -Ignatius of Antioch - as Bishop of Antioch.
Heres what Ignatius said with authority (but not authority to go against the Bishop of Rome) listen:

"wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be. As wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to Baptize or give Communion without the consent of the Bishop. Therefore whatever has his approval will be pleasing to God. Thus will be safe and valid"

Thus will be safe and valid. 4gvn. This is what Jesus Christ started. This is what eventually gave you a Bible to beat them over the head with!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#425659 Mar 4, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>

..so, you are guilty of changing Scripture to support your erroneous teaching.
The Greek word for church is "ekklesia" and is defined as:a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.
The word "church" does not define any Christian denominations...
Change Scripture!! and distort and manipulate TRUE Church History???(EXACTLY)--by YOU bible only (editorializing fundies)--to make the bible mean "only what YOU want it to mean!!!
Jesus established ONE TRUE CHURCH-(it was Universal)AND (it was Catholic) that was heirachical and authoritative and visible (Acts 2) with bishops, priests, elders and deacons beginning with the first Church in Antioch
READ IT AGAIN---IT IS 2000 years of TRUE, AUTHENTICATED, PROVEN CHURCH HISTORY---not your "editoricalizing personal opinionated" hodge-podge of "self-interpreted (made-up) Church History, that you "fundies" are so famous for:
Your comments are "nothing more" than the same old "Protestant bible only" distortion of the TRUE interpretation of the bible and the TRUTH of TRUE Church History. The fact is that the Greek word for Church is "eclesia" which refers to the "visible, hierarchical, authoritative Church,(NOT) and invisible, ethereal body of believers, loosely connected by faith in the bible alone. This is "all confirmed" in Acts 2 where Paul refers to an "authoritative Church with bishops, elders, priests and deacons. In Pauls letters to the Churches that followed Jesus Christs first Church at Antioch (again Acts 2) EVERY ONE OF THOSE CHURCHES (Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Colossus, Thessalonica and on and on were all headed by the Apostles (as Bishops) in the Churches. Furthermore---the Church came first--then the Bible(over 350 years after the Jesus Christs first Church at Antioch which was (One-Universal-Catholic)Church ....... That is why in I Tim 3:15 Paul calls the Church (not the bible alone) as the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH. It was the Catholic Church that translated the original copies of the letters, documents, parchments and manuscripts from the Apostles, handed down by Jesus Christ HIMSELF in the 1st century. and throughout the Middle Ages. It was the Catholic Church that made the Scriptures available in the vernacular, so that all could read them. Study TRUE and AUTHENTICATED Church History. There was no other Church around. Take a look at all the writings, quotes and informational documents from the Early Church Fathers, who translated the manuscripts from the Apostles. The fact is that THE CHURCH CAME FIRST---THEN THE BIBLE (some 350+ years after) The bible wasn't even compiled until 382 ad and Guetenberg didn't even invent the printing press until 1440. I you are "that gullible or even that ignorant) to think that the bible is the only source of truth and the only way of Salvation what about all of the Christians that didn't even have a bible for the first 1500 years of the Church. Jesus Christ established an authority on earth (Matthew 16) to preserve HIS revelation and decide the Bible Canon. The authority is, has and will CONTINUE to be with Jesus Christ, in and through His One (and only TRUE) Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ).....The fact is that you (bibloe only)"fundies" have become "experts" at (attempting) to re-write, spin and distort the TRUTH of TRUE Church History AS WELL AS interpreting (or better yet--MIS-interpretating Sacred Scripture!(all to your own demise and destruction)

Clay

Lawrence, MA

#425660 Mar 4, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>No, Clay, that is NOT what He said. What He did say is,'Thou art PETRA and on PETROS I will build My church.' This is what the very 'word of God' says. Perhaps you should study more and argue less. Now will you admit you are in error? Probably not, but we will see.
Did He call Peter a rock or not?

Did He say upon this rock or not?

Did He give Peter the keys or not?

Did He give Peter the authority that Heaven itself will recognize or not?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#425661 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
You posted something you said Jesus said and you had in quotes. I am not familiar with this saying of His.

I'm aking you to show us that direct quote from Jesus in scripture and I'm asking you to tell us which translation it is found within.

You quoted him twice in the same post. I'm just asking for a reference for those quotes. Are they in your mind, your opinion, or are they actually quotes?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#425662 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
His authority isn't flawed. What makes you say that? Because Peter was a sinner just like everybody? Peter, although a sinner, taught the truth without error.
Wouldn't you say the Apostles ( although sinners) taught without error?
I would hope you wouldn't skirt around this truth.
You should re-think that comment Clay we know that your church Fathers and leaders were not without sin just like many of your present day priest's and the Pope who just quit his job.
That is why God would never leave His church the body of Christ; (precious souls) in the hands of man.
Peter didn't preach without error Paul had to correct him, and Peter was not a catholic nor was he Pope he would have burned the place down before he would be head over such and abomination to God.
With all the idols and gold , it is nothing but filthy rags under
all those stain glass windowns.
That is what you worship, Satan has built a church! wanting to be like Christ, He has establish his kingdom here on earth in the catholic church.
Jesus' Kingdom is not of this world.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#425663 Mar 4, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to disappoint you (again) Jethro8, but the 1.6 billion Catholics (do not) self-interpret and opinionate the bible. They are Catholic because they have "chosen to accept" the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the bible and the teachings of the Magisteruium of the Church..... They may not agree on everything, and that (precisely why) they chose to be Catholic. The Catholic Church remains "unified" IN the Body of Christ....Those who are "prodigal son", that decide to be defiant and rebellious can go down the street to the nearest (bible only) Protestant Church and they will tell them what they want to hear. If they can't find it there, they can go another inconsistent and contradicting Protestant Church, or until (one of the other 42,000 "editorial-(Relative Truth) interpretations of the bible" might fit what they "themselves" have decided is true. It called Mass Confusion!...We as Catholics have the (Mass) and you bible only "fundies" have the (Confusion)!!!
Dream on, romanist.
You vainly imagine the wine turns into the actual blood of Jesus in your 'mass mess'... the Bible CLEARLY states:

Lev 7:27 Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people.
It's just a matter of time. The popoe has buggered off, and the entire cult will also when the time is right.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#425664 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter means Rock.
Jesus to Peter "you are a rock. And upon this rock I will build my original Church!
He didn't say, "Simon, the faith you have is a rock, And upon this faith I will build my Church"
He said, "YOU Peter." Not 'Your faith, Simon'
He literally called Peter a rock.
Thought you guys were word for word Bible literalist. Sola scripturalist.
Yes.'Peter' means small rock. Rock as Jesus used is translated as big rock!

Therefore, Peter you are a small rock it is on that big rock (confession that Jesus is the Son of God) with which He would build His church.

Now,

Back to my question......

You said, "We Catholics don't declare Peter as the rock either. Jesus did."

Then twice you quoted Jesus as saying, "Peter YOU are the ROCK upon which I'll build MY CHURCH."

I contend this is a lie. Unless you can develop the reference for that quote, you've lied about Jesus' words.

I'll quote YOU again:

"Why are you trying to undo this...what makes you think you have the authority to undo this?"

That question of yours is a good question for you.

Why put words in Jesus' mouth?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#425665 Mar 4, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
In the least you are asking questions, so you should be excited in this regard - to learn what you have not.
You ask what is valid? You should be asking, what is valid for my "heart and mind", and not just define yourself from texts defined by others.
Jesus wants you to know your heart. Have you?
Have you examined yourself spiritually from within?
Have you noted the demons that you have, but are not seen by others?
Can you truly be honest with others?
"to know yourself is to know the kindgom of God." - Jesus
Once again - your vacant of substance.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#425666 Mar 4, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
To whom did He hand them and when?
For one, John at Patmos.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#425667 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter means Rock.
WRONG.

JESUS alone is the Rock.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#425668 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter himself (not his faith) was given real authority by Jesus Christ.
He called Simon a rock and upon this rock He will build a Church that Satan will not prevail against.
He told Simon (now named Rock) that he will have authority that even Heaven itself will recognize as valid "whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in Heaven, whatever you loose on Earth shall be loosed in Heaven"
These would be decisions on Earth made by Peter, that will Heaven will acknowledge. Not the other way around.
This is called authority, Saban. You do not have it. Peter did. And he did precisely what Christ commanded. He validly ordained Bishops... And they validly ordained Bishops.
When Christ acknowledged Peter/Simon them said UPON THIS ROCK would indicate he was referring back to his self (Christ) in my opinion otherwise he would have left out saying Rock a second time. Also one meant small pebble ther other large rock.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#425669 Mar 4, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do the scriptures say that??
Did Jesus give you the authority to bind on Earth and loose on Earth? No. He gave Peter the keys. Not you.
Did Peter - upon receiving this authority - print a bunch of letters and epistles and hand them out to the 4gvns of the world? No.
He ordained as Bishops, Linus, Clement and appointed Johns Disciple -Ignatius of Antioch - as Bishop of Antioch.
Heres what Ignatius said with authority (but not authority to go against the Bishop of Rome) listen:
"wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be. As wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to Baptize or give Communion without the consent of the Bishop. Therefore whatever has his approval will be pleasing to God. Thus will be safe and valid"
Thus will be safe and valid. 4gvn. This is what Jesus Christ started. This is what eventually gave you a Bible to beat them over the head with!
YOU WROTE:
{Where do the scriptures say that??

Did Jesus give you the authority to bind on Earth and loose on Earth? No. He gave Peter the keys. Not you.}

What are the Keys to Heaven?? do you know

Jesus built His church on the TRUTH: Because the Holy Spirit revealed this truth to Peter.
We stand on the Rock of Our Salvation, "Jesus Christ." He is the one who died for us not Peter.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#425670 Mar 4, 2013
"What are the keys of the kingdom?"

Answer: The biblical passage that makes reference to the “keys of the kingdom” is Matthew 16:19. Jesus had asked His disciples who people thought He was. After responding with several of the more popular opinions, Jesus aimed His question directly at His disciples. Peter, responding for the twelve, acknowledged Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the Living God. After this great confession, Jesus replied:

“Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”(Matthew 16:17-19).

Keys are used to lock or unlock doors. The specific doors Jesus has in mind in this passage are the doors to the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus is laying the foundation of His church (Ephesians 2:20). The disciples will be the leaders of this new institution called the church, and Jesus is giving them the authority to either grant or bar access to the Kingdom. The authority of the keys is to open and shut the doors to the Kingdom of Heaven. Precisely how do the keys to the kingdom work? Biblically speaking, how does one enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Jesus tells us that unless one is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven (John 3:3). One is born again as the Holy Spirit works through the Word of God to bring about new life in dead sinners. So the faithful preaching of the gospel is one of the keys to the kingdom. The other key is church discipline. In Matthew 18:15-20, Jesus gives us the guidelines for church discipline. He specifically mentions in that passage the same “binding and loosing” language we find in Matthew 16. Similarly, in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, Paul urges the Corinthian church to ex-communicate the man caught in adultery. Church discipline was considered by the Protestant Reformers as one of the marks of a true church (along with the preaching of the pure gospel and the administration of the sacraments).

Both of these keys—the preaching of the gospel and church discipline—function in opening and closing the doors to the Kingdom of Heaven. Through the preaching the gospel, those who respond in faith and repentance are allowed access to the Kingdom of Heaven; yet those who continue to harden their hearts and reject the gospel of God’s saving grace are shut out of the Kingdom. Similarly, through church discipline, the person who is caught in sin and remains unrepentant is barred access to the means of grace—the Word, the sacraments and fellowship with the community of believers. However, if the sinner repents, he or she can be allowed back into church and given access to all the means of grace therein.

So, the keys to the kingdom are the preaching of the gospel and the exercise of church discipline. When these are rightly administered, i.e., in a biblical church with duly appointed elders, access to the Kingdom of Heaven is ably guarded. However, when the keys are not used correctly through obscuring the message of the gospel or the lack of exercising church discipline, the results are disastrous. Consider Jesus’ warning to the Pharisees:“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in”(Matthew 23:13). If the gospel message is distorted or ignored, or if unrepentant sin is not adequately disciplined, the doors to the Kingdom of Heaven are being shut in people’s faces. When either of these two things occur, people in the church are either believing in a false gospel or they have not truly repented of their sin. In both cases the result is weeds growing in the wheat field of the church (Matthew 13:24-30).

gotquestion.org
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#425671 Mar 4, 2013
Adam wrote:
I love pope Benedikt XVI. I love him and I respect him. We call him the holy father.It´s not time to have a african or lation or asian pope. Timothy Dolan would be a good choice for the empty chair of Peter.
Nopeyou guys need a Pope that looks like he come right out of Africa so you can let the world know the church has no respect of persons just like Christ.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#425672 Mar 4, 2013
JUST-A-CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG.
JESUS alone is the Rock.
Hi "Just-A-Christian" how are you?? Haven't seen you on here for awhile.
Spring is just around the cornor, I can't wait to start planting flowers.
I have seen enough of snow, we have had a lot of it this year.
I think everyone has.
Yahchanan

Union City, OK

#425673 Mar 4, 2013
If your name is George And I call you ted will you answer me No!!!! you will not

It is the same with Yahweh If you call him A god And his Name Is Yahweh I don't think he hears you...

Besides one must be clean to have contact with the great spirit.And as you know you must ask permission to come to the father through the son.Same thing when you were baptized.The reason most were baptized incorrectly.Because they did not ask permission.

I don't ever see the world waking up It is what it is....I do know Good Christians That live A great life But very few.And I have to be honest I don't know many catholicks But I have never meet A great one Most were full of greed...Gee I wonder why????

Seems to me most on this thread does not realize the power satan has to deceive .....
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#425674 Mar 4, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You've listened to too many preachers not giving you the complete picture of Jesus.
Of course you will say all this, because you've accepted what men have given you to believe.
Maybe now and instead you should be listening to Jesus.
By stating Men you do mean the Prophets and Apostles who were inspired by the Holy Spirit right ?

Yes I do believe them over you.
Clay

Lawrence, MA

#425675 Mar 4, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You posted something you said Jesus said and you had in quotes. I am not familiar with this saying of His.
I'm aking you to show us that direct quote from Jesus in scripture and I'm asking you to tell us which translation it is found within.
You quoted him twice in the same post. I'm just asking for a reference for those quotes. Are they in your mind, your opinion, or are they actually quotes?
Oh I see, you're looking for a Bible verse warfare match.... To trap me in my 'lack of a full quote'

Sorry Saban, I'm relying on you to connect the dots, but I forget you guys claim to be word for word Bible authorities.

Jesus to Simon: "You are Peter, and upon this Rock, I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail"

Since Christ just called Peter a Rock and He said he'll build His Church on this rock....what's the problem?

look, the Papacy wasn't started because we read Matthew 16:18. It wasn't started because someone said something either. It was started on what Peter did.
What he did was ordain Bishops and govern. He did not pass around letters and epistles for individual nut jobs to figure out their own Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 14 min Toby 64,121
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 25 min Toby 106,549
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 281,885
What color will Taylor Swift's baby be? 2 hr Anonymous 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Steve III 45,246
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr Classic 3,818
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 3 hr gundee123 824
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Lumatrix 973,845
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 13 hr andy 43
More from around the web