Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665388 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 12

Bowie, TX

#425368 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>The Crusades (6 of them?) were launched as a defensive war against invading Muslims. They were not fought to covert anyone. You're thinking of the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Monarchy used torture to convert people into the Church.
The CC should have put a stop to it (eventually they did) there were definitely sins committed by the hierarchy.
The thing is, every one of them violated Church teachings. It doesn't matter that they were at the top... They still violated Catholicism.
So what you're trying to get me to believe is the Muslims invaded Europe to take the holy city and ..... Noooo white men did what white men do and that is make the world think as they do and if they won't they kill them. Almost every part of the world has seen this. It just so happens that at the time of the crusades the cc was in charge. The cc used Jesus/God and the fear of hell to slash and burn its way across the world to make men slave to the church. For the cc to help it always comes at a price. Jesus loved people never killed anyone chose death rather than kill a single person. Jesus wouldn't want killing in his name.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#425369 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Save your cult pamphlets.. How many times do we have to tell you? The Catholic Church wasn't launched because we read something. Yours was.
The Papacy wasn't started because we saw Matthew 16:18 and decided to have a successor to Peter.
The Eucharist didn't come to be as result of deciphering Bible verses.
These things were established BEFORE one line of the NT was written.
By the time the Bible was decided upon, 35 Popes had already came and gone.
Why would you demand to see the Papacy laid out in detail in the NT, when the Papacy gave you the books? I know its easier to deny historic fact 7th, but sooner or later, Gods going to require you to wake up.
The Holy Spirit gave us the books.
GBA

Royal Oak, MI

#425370 Mar 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
denomination:(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) a group having a distinctive interpretation of a religious faith and usually its own organization...
The Catholics are a group having a distinctive interpretation of a religious faith and usually its own organization...
Christ never established any Christian denomination....Catholic..Prot estant...or otherwise....
And...Peter was the first pope of the Catholic Church, according to Catholics......but, according to historians, Leo I (440-461) was the first pope... some 400 years after Christ, per misled Catholics, made Peter the first pope!!!!
That really means the RCC had two first popes!!!!
You guys go back and forth tit for tat like schoolboys trying to goad the other one for your own sake.

And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#425371 Mar 2, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit gave us the books.
True. The Holy Spirit guided the Church to the compilation of the Bible. The Spirit also guided them to interpretations.
Free Mind

Tampa, FL

#425372 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped > I was too frightened to continue reading!
7th, I never understood why people need to scare themselves into Christianity. This prophecy crap has led countless souls astray since you people were able to read Revelation for the first time. You couldn't understand it then and you can't understand it now.
I swear, you guys added enough junk to Johns book that you couldn't possibly be innocent of violating his warning to not add to "the prophecies of this book"
Bingo.

How many times has Pat Robertson foretold the end of the world, yet here we are? At least twice I believe.

Oh, and who can forget the hurricane that was projected to hit Florida. Pat said it was "God's wrath." But instead, the storm veered north and went directly over Pat's HQ in Virginia Beach.

Talk about a sign from God! But Pat failed to see it, lol.

Just as the RCC should be held accountable, so should all the false prophets and their failed claims.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#425373 Mar 2, 2013
now that benny the pedophile protector no longer has diplomatic immunity,it's time to sopeona him and bring him into court and have a judge order him to tell the whole truth behind the cover up of the pedophile cases, and all who were involved in the cover up and give up the names of the priests who actually, disgustingly committed the vile acts against their victims.there is no excuse to not do this,he is a criminal and should be treated as such.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#425374 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Crusades (6 of them?) were launched as a defensive war against invading Muslims. They were not fought to covert anyone. You're thinking of the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Monarchy used torture to convert people into the Church.
The CC should have put a stop to it (eventually they did) there were definitely sins committed by the hierarchy.
The thing is, every one of them violated Church teachings. It doesn't matter that they were at the top... They still violated Catholicism.
Clay,

Your representation of the Spanish inquistion being used to convert people is simply not true. You should understand the Muslims had conquered virtually all of Spain albeit one tiny section and occupied it for hundreds of years. It was common for them to wipe out and kill even the women and children, but that was common for the world of the time. In some places depending on the ruler Christians were tolerated as second class citizens or not at all. Christians who were paid a Jeezya tax and oppressive tax which Mohummmad approved to make life harsh. A Christian may worship in private but to try to convert a Muslim would mean death and harsh reprisals on other known Christians. Property and land was siezed. As corruption and the power base weakened amongst the Muslim rulers the Christians siezed the opportunity to retake lands and property that was once theirs.

The Spanish Inquistion had nothing at all to do with converting people. Protestants as we know them today did not exist. What was viewed with suspicion was the sudden mass conversions of Muslims and Jews (who had helped the Muslims conquer.) Mobs type justice was running rampant and it would allow them to obtain land and Property. However working from within to turn people away from the faith and sway loyalties. Not unlike what happened when Joshua weeded out those who were trying to subvert the faith within or when people were put out of the church until Modern Protestants decided the church is an invisible body believers that believe x y or z. I am sure that is what the Apostles had in mind when they put people out so they call them brothers. NO it was to shame them.

Regardless lawless mobs were the rule. The church was asked to intervene. It set up a trial procedure to question the converts. If you openly said you were a Jew or Muslim the inqisition did not pertain. It was only for those who claimed to be Christian and to determine their true beliefs and motives. So to say the Spanish inquistion was used to convert people is simply not true. The secular institution carried out sentences and secular courts were far more harsh. Many appealed to the Church because they knew it was far more fair. The legends of billions of deaths are just nonsense. In reality it was a calm and reasoned approach to the lynch mob mentality and an emerging new State.

As for the crusades (there were 4) yes they were a response to pleas for help from Christians in the east. The first crusade was very successful. However its not a black and white issue. Ghengis Khan, The Turks, and power struggles in dwindling empires all played a role.

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologeti...

Clip from BBC (usually Anti-Catholic)
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#425375 Mar 2, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
now that benny the pedophile protector no longer has diplomatic immunity,it's time to sopeona him and bring him into court and have a judge order him to tell the whole truth behind the cover up of the pedophile cases, and all who were involved in the cover up and give up the names of the priests who actually, disgustingly committed the vile acts against their victims.there is no excuse to not do this,he is a criminal and should be treated as such.
The only "cover-up" that you should be concerned with is the "cover-up" that exists with (your own eyes and ears) where Jesus speaks of in Mark 8:18 when He said "you have "eyes to see"-but you do not see, and you have "ears to hear" but you do not hear!... Rebelliousness and defiance to the TRUTH of 2000 years of TRUE Church history and the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the Bible, in and through Jesus Christs One true Catholic Church, has kept you in the "bondage" of lies, deceit and heresy...... AND..... as Jesus concludes in Mark 8...you blindness remains"----that is....(until you come to the TRUTH as the Prodigal Son (eventually did in Luke 15:11---when he "came to his senses"!!!
Pad

Fishers, IN

#425376 Mar 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Pad, I can only offer up to you the fact that He made many if not all of His direct teachings that we read of now whilst He was actually amongst us, rather than after His crucifixion and resurrection.
Any teaching of Christ recorded in Scripture was made by Him prior to His death and resurrection.
Do you find all of His teachings "ludicrous", or just the ones you don't agree with?
No what I find ludicrous is the Catholic assertion of what John 6 meant,not what Jesus said Himself. I do not disagree with JESUS at all,Dan I dsagree with Roman Catholicism,and yes some of the early Reformers as well.Just because popular opinion,or a broad concensus of belief,does not MEAN that if is God's truth that should be in alliance to the broad opinion.

The fact that your church,the Orthodox,the Anglicans,and perhaps some Lutheran persuasions believe in the Real Presence after the consecratioon,really does not bother me.What bothers me is the entourage of RC beliefs that claim the Sacrament is basically needed for Salvation,and to sustain the whole body of Christ.

The truth is that Spiritually everything that pertains to the Lord Jesus Christ is needful and advantageous to the whole Body,for nourishment.It is Spiritual Essence that comes from the Godhead,through what was called the Eucharist,or Baptism,and those sacraments which benefited the whole Body.

We can benefit spiritually even from reading the W O R D,and that nourishes our souls.When people partake of the elements in Communion, Spiritually that nourishes the soul,and it brings to remembrance what the Lord Jesus Suffered.

Spiritual life is from God,DAN, Not from the hands of men and women.We can be inspired to write beautiful things for the Lord,or to make things that enhance our perception of the Spiritual,but ultimately the Spiritual comes from the S P I R I T,not human effort.

Communion when exercised with reverence,and the allowing of the Holy Spirit to illumine our minds toward the sufferings of Christ,spiritually nourishes the soul,and mind in Christ,whether or not believers consider the elements to be symbolic or the Real Presence.

I do not in any way diminish your faith in what you believe communion to be in connection with the Mass,and at the same time when Prots or Evangelicals have Communion and it is done with holy reverence,is just as spiritual and nourishing for the Body of Christ. It is all spiritual and discerned by the Spirit of Christ,as by the Holy Spirit,WHO by the way is the ONE sent to fortify,embody Christ in the Church,and to reveal the hidden treasures of the MYSTERY of Christ to us all as well.

Both persuasions of Catholicism and Evangelical Christianity are wrong if and when they try to diminish the spiritual significance of Communion in each other.We do not have to agree on all points,but we have to respect with the LOVE of Christ and the Unity of the Holy Spirit what the Lord is in Communion,as He is remembered of His Suffering and Death for our sins.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#425377 Mar 2, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>

It is no wonder that Catholics don't know what "confused" is.
Oh yes!!! We, as Catholics, ALL KNOW what confusion is! Lets begin with your Protestant bible only 42,000+ contradicting denominations of the TRUE Interpretation of the Bible and the TRUTH of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Your chaos and confusion of reading the "never ending" inconsistent and conflicting interpretations (or better yet -MIS-INTERPRETATIONS of the bible is like reading the "editorial section" you local newspaper! E3VERYBODY has an opinion, EVERYBODY claims to have to truth, EVERYBODY in an "expert" on the true interpretation of the bible.---It is call "relative truth" (whatever "each person" says is the TRUTH is suppose to be true...Yes, we ALL KNOW what confusion is!!! It has is and will continue to be in your chaotic bible only Protestant, splintering, dividing, and separating from the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church--(the Bride of Christ
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#425378 Mar 2, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
confused?
-
HOW can YOU call ME confused when the Wiki page matches what the Catholic church publishes as popes?
-
But this is the M.O. of the Catholic church: to confuse and obfuscate anything from a source other than the Vatican ... EVEN IF THE INFO IS ACCURATE.
-
It is no wonder that Catholics don't know what "confused" is.
It is called MASS CONFUSION!!!
Catholics have the "MASS"!!!---Protesta nts "fundies" have the "CONFUSION"
!
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425379 Mar 2, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay,
Your representation of the Spanish inquistion being used to convert people is simply not true. You should understand the Muslims had conquered virtually all of Spain albeit one tiny section and occupied it for hundreds of years. It was common for them to wipe out and kill even the women and children, but that was common for the world of the time. In some places depending on the ruler Christians were tolerated as second class citizens or not at all. Christians who were paid a Jeezya tax and oppressive tax which Mohummmad approved to make life harsh. A Christian may worship in private but to try to convert a Muslim would mean death and harsh reprisals on other known Christians. Property and land was siezed. As corruption and the power base weakened amongst the Muslim rulers the Christians siezed the opportunity to retake lands and property that was once theirs.
The Spanish Inquistion had nothing at all to do with converting people. Protestants as we know them today did not exist. What was viewed with suspicion was the sudden mass conversions of Muslims and Jews (who had helped the Muslims conquer.) Mobs type justice was running rampant and it would allow them to obtain land and Property. However working from within to turn people away from the faith and sway loyalties. Not unlike what happened when Joshua weeded out those who were trying to subvert the faith within or when people were put out of the church until Modern Protestants decided the church is an invisible body believers that believe x y or z. I am sure that is what the Apostles had in mind when they put people out so they call them brothers. NO it was to shame them.
Regardless lawless mobs were the rule. The church was asked to intervene. It set up a trial procedure to question the converts. If you openly said you were a Jew or Muslim the inqisition did not pertain. It was only for those who claimed to be Christian and to determine their true beliefs and motives. So to say the Spanish inquistion was used to convert people is simply not true. The secular institution carried out sentences and secular courts were far more harsh. Many appealed to the Church because they knew it was far more fair. The legends of billions of deaths are just nonsense. In reality it was a calm and reasoned approach to the lynch mob mentality and an emerging new State.
As for the crusades (there were 4) yes they were a response to pleas for help from Christians in the east. The first crusade was very successful. However its not a black and white issue. Ghengis Khan, The Turks, and power struggles in dwindling empires all played a role.
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologeti...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2Wd_EAmcFZcXX Clip from BBC (usually Anti-Catholic)
This is my understanding:

'convert' is a correct word. Even though it was against supposed Catholics. They were heretics.
Torture was used, albeit rarely. Murder did happen, but so rare its not even worth discussing.

I believe both the Crusades and Inquisitions were understandable given the climate of that era. As you pointed out the Church was the receiver of much hatred. Catholics were the victims first.

Thanks for the links. I'll read more on it. I'm not an expert on this stuff and am always trying find out the truth.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#425380 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The Holy Spirit guided the Church to the compilation of the Bible. The Spirit also guided them to interpretations.
Cite evidence please.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#425381 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture was used, albeit rarely. Murder did happen, but so rare its not even worth discussing.
WHAT! THERE WERE "ONLY A FEW 'MURDERS'.......Not even worth mentioning. Well here we see the heart and mindlessness of a 'TRUE CATHOLIC'. UNBELIEVABLE!
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#425382 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my understanding:
'convert' is a correct word. Even though it was against supposed Catholics. They were heretics.
I believe both the Crusades and Inquisitions were understandable given the climate of that era. As you pointed out the Church was the receiver of much hatred. Catholics were the victims first.
Thanks for the links. I'll read more on it. I'm not an expert on this stuff and am always trying find out the truth.
Just wanted to clarify the Spanish Inquistion did not apply to those who did not claim to be Christian. In essence the church provided a defense council. Ferdinand and Isabella wanted to put in check the lawlessness and lych mob mentality to protect innocent victims and establish some order.

Please do study the links. Keep in mind much of the information available today was discovered through meticulous records that were kept and discovered from a starting point of an anti-catholic position. What was discovered is the legendary myths that have been blown far out of proportion and the realities of the time.

Clay

Garden City, MI

#425383 Mar 2, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT! THERE WERE "ONLY A FEW 'MURDERS'.......Not even worth mentioning. Well here we see the heart and mindlessness of a 'TRUE CATHOLIC'. UNBELIEVABLE!
One murder is too many. So I don't want to down play the seriousness of the act. However, you guys tell people millions were murdered at the hands of the Roman Catholic Church. That's ridiculous. How many were? Its hard to find out. There simply wasn't that many, 4gvn. They were rare.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425384 Mar 2, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Cite evidence please.
What evidence are you demanding?

Don't you believe the NT is the word of God?

If you do, then explain how we know this.

Did the Books fall out of the sky?

If you believe the NT is the Holy Bible then you also need to believe the Church was - apparently Holy enough - that God used it to gather the Books and put a label on it.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425385 Mar 2, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called MASS CONFUSION!!!
Catholics have the "MASS"!!!---Protesta nts "fundies" have the "CONFUSION"
!
Good meeting you in person this morning. It was a nice Mass and great way to start the day off.
You're a nice guy.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#425386 Mar 2, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right, but they don't want a pope who will change anything.
That is understandable....rid the protection given pedophiles, and the "calling of God" given to "priests" suddenly is as silent as a tomb!!!!

United States

#425387 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
-
-
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT! THERE WERE "ONLY A FEW 'MURDERS'.......Not even worth mentioning. Well here we see the heart and mindlessness of a 'TRUE CATHOLIC'. UNBELIEVABLE!
-
-
yeah. just as there were only a *few* bad priests *raping* little children ... not even worth mentioning ...
-
Why? because children are resilient and will recover. They will *forget* about all the HORROR that happened to them; they will mature and go on and live wonderful, productive lives; some of them will be so *forgiving* as to become priests themselves and follow in other priests footsteps ........raping little children
-
but it's not worth mentioning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 2 min another viewer 177
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 16 min Seentheotherside 589
3 Newspapers in Eagle RIver AK 16 min eljay577 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min RiversideRedneck 977,399
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min RiversideRedneck 88,252
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 32 min Pegasus 284,577
The Future of Politics in America 37 min Nohweh 259
More from around the web