Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675905 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#425349 Mar 1, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the Church only had one Pope ordained by Jesus. The next couple are in Question. They say Linus then Clement. Or Clement then Linus.
The Papacy took a couple yrs to really take shape.
In fact, the writings of the NT didn't come to fruition until after Clement of Rome already had his Mark on Christianity. Clearly, this man had some sort of authority when he wrote.
Hey hoJo, ill be at the Cathedral of Saint Paul tomorrow for the daily mass. 8:00 am. On the left in a black or blue hoodie. Stop and chat after!
Will see you after 8 am Mass at the Cathedral!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#425350 Mar 1, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the Church only had one Pope ordained by Jesus. The next couple are in Question. They say Linus then Clement. Or Clement then Linus.
In fact, the writings of the NT didn't come to fruition until after Clement of Rome already had his Mark on Christianity. Clearly, this man had some sort of authority when he wrote.
Hey hoJo, ill be at the Cathedral of Saint Paul tomorrow for the daily mass. 8:00 am. On the left in a black or blue hoodie. Stop and chat after!
The Catholic cult was found on paganism by the Emperor... circa 312....logic says that by then Peter had died "eons" go...so...he could not possibly have been a pope of a cult that did not exist during his lifetime!!!!!!

Location hidden

#425351 Mar 1, 2013
correction...ago....

Location hidden

#425352 Mar 1, 2013
Are you really proud to be a Catholic????

On CNN:
The church that Benedict will no longer lead is indeed beset with problems -- its legacy of child sexual abuse, declining presence in the West, reputation for anachronism and, most recently, embarrassing allegations of a gay sex scandal in the hierarchy.

The next pope is going to have to move the church beyond these travails to reinvigorate Catholicism for the 21st century. To borrow a much abused marketing term, he is going to have to subject it to a rebranding.

Note....no matter what you do to a cow pie...cover it up...paint it....change its shape...rebrand it...when all is said and done...it is still a cow pie!!!!!

Location hidden

#425353 Mar 1, 2013
hierarchy: A body of clergy organized into successive ranks or grades with each level subordinate to the one above.

This includes the pope being involved in the most recent gay sex scandal reported on CNN.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#425354 Mar 1, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey hoJo, ill be at the Cathedral of Saint Paul tomorrow for the daily mass. 8:00 am. On the left in a black or blue hoodie. Stop and chat after!.
Jesus never ordained ANY pope, and your cult is as manmade as any other denomination. Get over it.

United States

#425355 Mar 1, 2013
guest wrote:
list of popes.
Notice the gaps in the so-called continuous succession of popes - those times when the cardinals couldn't decide who to pick ... though they were supposed to be, IDK, "enlightened" when choosing a new pope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes
-
-
StarC wrote:
Wiki.... hee, hee, hee! No wonder you are so confused!
St. Peter (32-67)
St. Linus (67-76)
St. Anacletus (Cletus)(76-88)
St. Clement I (88-97)
St. Evaristus (97-105)
St. Alexander I (105-115)
St. Sixtus I (115-125) Also called Xystus I
St. Telesphorus (125-136)
St. Hyginus (136-140)
St. Pius I (140-155)
St. Anicetus (155-166)
St. Soter (166-175)
St. Eleutherius (175-189)
St. Victor I (189-199)
St. Zephyrinus (199-217)
St. Callistus I (217-22)
St. Urban I (222-30)
St. Pontain (230-35)
St. Anterus (235-36)
St. Fabian (236-50)
St. Cornelius (251-53)
St. Lucius I (253-54)
St. Stephen I (254-257)
St. Sixtus II (257-258)
St. Dionysius (260-268)
St. Felix I (269-274)
St. Eutychian (275-283)
St. Caius (283-296) Also called Gaius
St. Marcellinus (296-304)
St. Marcellus I (308-309)
St. Eusebius (309 or 310)
St. Miltiades (311-14)
St. Sylvester I (314-35)
St. Marcus (336)
St. Julius I (337-52)
Liberius (352-66)
St. Damasus I (366-83)
St. Siricius (384-99)
St. Anastasius I (399-401)
St. Innocent I (401-17)
St. Zosimus (417-18)
St. Boniface I (418-22)
St. Celestine I (422-32)
St. Sixtus III (432-40)
St. Leo I (the Great)(440-61)
St. Hilarius (461-68)
St. Simplicius (468-83)
-
-
confused?
-
HOW can YOU call ME confused when the Wiki page matches what the Catholic church publishes as popes?
-
But this is the M.O. of the Catholic church: to confuse and obfuscate anything from a source other than the Vatican ... EVEN IF THE INFO IS ACCURATE.
-
It is no wonder that Catholics don't know what "confused" is.

United States

#425356 Mar 1, 2013
oh, yeah,
-
To StarC:
-
It must be hard to take when Wiki has more credibility than the Roman Catholic Church.
I feel so sorry for Catholics - especially these days.
Gayle

Pimpama, Australia

#425357 Mar 1, 2013
Jesus never came and set up buildings. His temple is his body and he is the corner stone of the temple being made for his Father to inhabit with spirit. "Do you not know that you people are God's temple."
It is never to a group or denomination that you belong to, or claim unity, it is only to Jesus. In union with him (Jesus) you, too, are being built up together into a place for God to inhabit by spirit.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#425358 Mar 1, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Are you really proud to be a Catholic????
On CNN:
The church that Benedict will no longer lead is indeed beset with problems -- its legacy of child sexual abuse, declining presence in the West, reputation for anachronism and, most recently, embarrassing allegations of a gay sex scandal in the hierarchy.
The next pope is going to have to move the church beyond these travails to reinvigorate Catholicism for the 21st century. To borrow a much abused marketing term, he is going to have to subject it to a rebranding.
Note....no matter what you do to a cow pie...cover it up...paint it....change its shape...rebrand it...when all is said and done...it is still a cow pie!!!!!
I think you're right, but they don't want a pope who will change anything.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#425359 Mar 2, 2013
Map of religions in the US

Roll the cursor over each state to see about that state! Very Interesting! Isn't it nice to see the true facts?? I thought Obama said USA is not a Christian Nation?Almost fooled me!!! How long do we remain the "SILENT MAJORITY"??This is great... this map gives you the percentage of Christians and all faiths in each state...Click on the following and see the different religions by state and elsewhere by holding cursor over a state. Now ask yourself, why are we allowing our government and special interest groups i.e. ACLU to take God out of culture and schools? We need to step up people!
Send this all over the nation and the world!! Let them all see who we are.!!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/graphics/...
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#425360 Mar 2, 2013
A man suffered a serious heart attack while shopping in a store. The store clerk

called 911 when they saw him collapse to the floor.

The paramedics rushed the man to the nearest hospital where he had emergency

open heart bypass surgery.

He awakened from the surgery to find himself in the care of nuns at the

Catholic Hospital. A nun was seated next to his bed holding a clipboard

loaded with several forms, and a pen. She asked him how he was going to

pay for his treatment.

"Do you have health insurance?" she asked.

He replied in a raspy voice, "No health insurance."

The nun asked, "Do you have money in the bank?"

He replied, "No money in the bank."

Do you have a relative who could help you with the payments?" asked the

Irritated nun.

He said, "I only have a spinster sister, and she is a nun."

The nun became agitated and announced loudly, "Nuns are not spinsters!

Nuns are married to God."

The patient replied, "Perfect. Send the bill to my brother-in-law."
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425361 Mar 2, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about the pope / papacy?"
Answer: The Roman Catholic Church’s teaching about the pope (“pope” means “father”) is built upon and involves the following Roman Catholic teachings:
1) Christ made Peter the leader of the apostles and of the church (Matthew 16:18-19). In giving Peter the “keys of the kingdom,” Christ not only made him leader, but also made him infallible when he acted or spoke as Christ’s representative on earth (speaking from the seat of authority, or “ex cathedra”). This ability to act on behalf of the church in an infallible way when speaking “ex cathedra” was passed on to Peter’s successors, thus giving the church an infallible guide on earth. The purpose of the papacy is to lead the church unerringly.
2) Peter later became the first bishop of Rome. As bishop of Rome, he exercised authority over all other bishops and church leaders. The teaching that the bishop of Rome is above all other bishops in authority is referred to as the “primacy” of the Roman bishop.
3) Peter passed on his apostolic authority to the next bishop of Rome, along with the other apostles who passed on their apostolic authority to the bishops that they ordained. These new bishops, in turn, passed on that apostolic authority to those bishops that they later ordained, and so on. This “passing on of apostolic authority” is referred to as “apostolic succession.”
4) Based upon the claim of an unbroken chain of Roman bishops, Roman Catholics teach that the Roman Catholic Church is the true church, and that all churches that do not accept the primacy of the pope have broken away from them, the original and one true church.
Having briefly reviewed some of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church concerning the papacy, the question is whether those teachings are in agreement with Scripture. The Roman Catholic Church sees the papacy and the infallible teaching authority of “Mother Church” as being necessary to guide the church, and uses that as logical reasoning for God’s provision of it. But in examining Scripture, we find the following:
1) While Peter was central in the early spread of the gospel (part of the meaning behind Matthew 16:18-19), the teaching of Scripture, taken in context, nowhere declares that he was in authority over the other apostles or over the church (see Acts 15:1-23; Galatians 2:1-14; 1 Peter 5:1-5). Nor is it ever taught that the bishop of Rome was to have primacy over the church. Rather, there is only one reference in Scripture of Peter writing from “Babylon,” a name sometimes applied to Rome, found in 1 Peter 5:13. Primarily from this, and the historical rise of the influence of the bishop of Rome (due to the support of Constantine and the Roman emperors who followed him), come the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching of the primacy of the bishop of Rome. However, Scripture shows that Peter’s authority was shared by the other apostles (Ephesians 2:19-20) and that the “loosing and binding” authority attributed to him was likewise shared by the local churches, not just their church leaders (see Matthew 18:15-19; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13; 2 Corinthians 13:10; Titus 2:15; 3:10-11).
continued
Save your cult pamphlets.. How many times do we have to tell you? The Catholic Church wasn't launched because we read something. Yours was.

The Papacy wasn't started because we saw Matthew 16:18 and decided to have a successor to Peter.

The Eucharist didn't come to be as result of deciphering Bible verses.

These things were established BEFORE one line of the NT was written.

By the time the Bible was decided upon, 35 Popes had already came and gone.

Why would you demand to see the Papacy laid out in detail in the NT, when the Papacy gave you the books? I know its easier to deny historic fact 7th, but sooner or later, Gods going to require you to wake up.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425362 Mar 2, 2013
Prophecy wrote:
The 112th and Last Pope – Petrus Romanus /
What's more surprising about the Petrus Romanus prophecy is its perspective that the returning judge (Jesus) is “terrible” or “dreadful.” Jesus Christ is supposed to only be a terror to the wicked (Mt 24:30). He's coming with a reward for the righteous (Rev 22:12) who should love his appearing and judgment in their favor (2Ti 4:8). But this is typical of Catholic prophecies. You sometimes have to flip the good guys and bad guys to make sense of it.(This is perhaps appropriate given that the papacy and Catholic church are man-made religious institutions supported by mere tradition, not by Scripture or the teachings of Jesus in whose name they come (Mt 24:5).)
Snipped > I was too frightened to continue reading!
7th, I never understood why people need to scare themselves into Christianity. This prophecy crap has led countless souls astray since you people were able to read Revelation for the first time. You couldn't understand it then and you can't understand it now.
I swear, you guys added enough junk to Johns book that you couldn't possibly be innocent of violating his warning to not add to "the prophecies of this book"
Free Mind

Tampa, FL

#425363 Mar 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an article of faith.
He is present under the species (appearance) of bread and wine.
You sound like a protestant with this DNA test stuff.
Thank you. We now agree. Real Presence is an article of faith.

You wrote as if Real Presence were a fact. If so, you should back it up with factual evidence. But you corrected yourself -- thank you.

As for me "sounding like a Protestant," please show some integrity now and cite one instance where a Protestant here has called for DNA testing.

Hold yourself to the same standards that you demand from others.

sigh

Since: Sep 12

Bowie, TX

#425364 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>Save your cult pamphlets.. How many times do we have to tell you? The Catholic Church wasn't launched because we read something. Yours was.

The Papacy wasn't started because we saw Matthew 16:18 and decided to have a successor to Peter.

The Eucharist didn't come to be as result of deciphering Bible verses.

These things were established BEFORE one line of the NT was written.

By the time the Bible was decided upon, 35 Popes had already came and gone.

Why would you demand to see the Papacy laid out in detail in the NT, when the Papacy gave you the books? I know its easier to deny historic fact 7th, but sooner or later, Gods going to require you to wake up.
Yes let's talk history 400 years of murder rape and conquest called the crusades all backed by the Catholic Church. The murder of everyone who didn't see the world as they do pushing a white Jesus off on the world killing and converting its way across the world all in the name of God. The Catholic Church is not to be trusted. I will not convert. That church may have been a good thing at one point but it got too big and now is corrupt just like any other man made organization. Please don't miss read me here I believe there are many good Christian people of that faith but the church is not what it should be.
Free Mind

Tampa, FL

#425365 Mar 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian faith until the Reformation taught that the Eucharist was the body and blood of Jesus.
Here we go again.

For the first few hundred years, patristic writers were still debating the issue of Real Presence.

Why the denial of reality? Lack of faith?

Cut the crapola. I am here to help you.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#425366 Mar 2, 2013
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes let's talk history 400 years of murder rape and conquest called the crusades all backed by the Catholic Church. The murder of everyone who didn't see the world as they do pushing a white Jesus off on the world killing and converting its way across the world all in the name of God. The Catholic Church is not to be trusted. I will not convert. That church may have been a good thing at one point but it got too big and now is corrupt just like any other man made organization. Please don't miss read me here I believe there are many good Christian people of that faith but the church is not what it should be.
The Crusades (6 of them?) were launched as a defensive war against invading Muslims. They were not fought to covert anyone. You're thinking of the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Monarchy used torture to convert people into the Church.
The CC should have put a stop to it (eventually they did) there were definitely sins committed by the hierarchy.
The thing is, every one of them violated Church teachings. It doesn't matter that they were at the top... They still violated Catholicism.
Free Mind

Tampa, FL

#425367 Mar 2, 2013
Fact -- the word "church" did not exist at the time of Jesus.

There was no concept of the term as many use it today.

Even the earliest Greek translations tell us that Jesus said.....

"Upon this rock, I will build my TEMPLE."

Since: Sep 12

Bowie, TX

#425368 Mar 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>The Crusades (6 of them?) were launched as a defensive war against invading Muslims. They were not fought to covert anyone. You're thinking of the Spanish Inquisition. The Spanish Monarchy used torture to convert people into the Church.
The CC should have put a stop to it (eventually they did) there were definitely sins committed by the hierarchy.
The thing is, every one of them violated Church teachings. It doesn't matter that they were at the top... They still violated Catholicism.
So what you're trying to get me to believe is the Muslims invaded Europe to take the holy city and ..... Noooo white men did what white men do and that is make the world think as they do and if they won't they kill them. Almost every part of the world has seen this. It just so happens that at the time of the crusades the cc was in charge. The cc used Jesus/God and the fear of hell to slash and burn its way across the world to make men slave to the church. For the cc to help it always comes at a price. Jesus loved people never killed anyone chose death rather than kill a single person. Jesus wouldn't want killing in his name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Bongo 110,736
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 6 min inbred Genius 260
Plenty To Celebrate On President Donald's 100th... 13 min every troll here ... 1
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 1 hr Dean 479
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 286,312
How To recover deleted notes on iphone 4/4S/5? (Mar '13) 2 hr jacckd 65
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 18
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr waaaasuuuup brother 982,119
More from around the web