Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
408,801 - 408,820 of 537,222 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? What is that you are saying?......oh yeah, the same ol' bullshite you have to repeat, in order to believe it.
You are starting to sound very fundamentalist.
Maybe we should call you a "fundie-Catholic", as it does seem to fit.
You really know how to hurt a guy. Take your hate somewhere else.
Saban fan

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who hold baptism to be required for salvation point to “born of water” as evidence. As one person has put it,“Jesus describes it and tells him plainly how—by being born of water and the Spirit. This is a perfect description of baptism! Jesus could not have given a more detailed and accurate explanation of baptism.” However, had Jesus actually wanted to say that one must be baptized to be saved, He clearly could have simply stated,“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is baptized and born of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” Further, if Jesus had made such a statement, He would have contradicted numerous other Bible passages that make it clear that salvation is by faith (John 3:16; John 3:36; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5).
We should also not lose sight of the fact that when Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus, the ordinance of Christian baptism was not yet in effect. This important inconsistency in interpreting Scripture is seen when one asks those who believe baptism is required for salvation why the thief on the cross did not need to be baptized to be saved. A common reply to that question is:“The thief on the cross was still under the Old Covenant and therefore not subject to this baptism. He was saved just like anyone else under the Old Covenant.” So, in essence, the same people who say the thief did not need to be baptized because he was “under the Old Covenant” will use John 3:5 as “proof” that baptism is necessary for salvation. They insist that Jesus is telling Nicodemus that he must be baptized to be saved, even though he too was under the Old Covenant. If the thief on the cross was saved without being baptized (because he was under the Old Covenant), why would Jesus tell Nicodemus (who was also under the Old Covenant) that he needed to be baptized?
If “being born of water and the Spirit” is not referring to baptism, then what does it mean? Traditionally, there have been two interpretations of this phrase. The first is that being “born of water” is being used by Jesus to refer to natural birth (with water referring to the amniotic fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb) and that being born of the “Spirit” indicates spiritual birth. While that is certainly a possible interpretation of the term “born of water” and would seem to fit the context of Nicodemus’ question about how a man could be born “when he is old,” it is not the best interpretation given the context of this passage. After all, Jesus was not talking about the difference between natural birth and spiritual birth. What He was doing was explaining to Nicodemus his need to be “born from above” or “born again.”
cont
Jesus had the power to save in person. Someone posted several verses that highlighted this point within the past day.

Also, no one could say for certain that the thief had never been baptized. Everyone always assumes he had never been.

We are under the rules established after Jesus' resurrection when the church began at Pentecost. And, Paul informs that there is one baptism. The Eunuch saw much water and after confessing he believed with all his heart that Jesus was the son of God he was baptized (Acts 8:34-39).

What is the one baptism? Why?
Saban fan

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
What is Christian baptism?
Christian baptism is a voluntary ceremony whereby a person publically declares he or she has come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ. Christian baptism is performed by dipping the believer under water and lifting him or her up again, symbolically representing the believer's acceptance of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection for their sins. Paul explained this in Romans 6:3-4: "Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." Baptism doesn't save; it isn't required for salvation. Although some denominations require a believer to be baptized before they can participate in church ministries or government, it is not biblically required.
But, Christian baptism is an act of obedience. As Jesus was baptized in obedience (Matthew 3:15), so we should be as well. It is also part of the great commission—"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…" (Matthew 28:19). Publically confessing one's faith, whether by word (Romans 10:9-10) or action (Acts 2:38), while not required for salvation, is a way of acknowledging the Father and a sign of a saving faith (Matthew 10:32-33).
The biblical requirements for baptism are simple: have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and understand what baptism means. The Bible adds no requirements for age, the length of time someone has been a believer (Acts 8:34-38), or informational classes—as long as the person understands what baptism means. Baptism can be performed in a church's baptismal, a swimming pool, or the ocean. And the participants can wear robes, waders, jeans, or swimsuits. The only requirements are that the person being baptized is a Christian and is willing to obey God by publically declaring their relationship with Him.
gotquestion.org
And yet there is Acts 2:38 that explains it and the reason for it perfectly.
Once a Catholic

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
I was raised a Catholic, but left it after I left Vietnam. Today I believe more in God and I forgot what the Holy Trinity was all about. I don't pay a middle man I go straight to God.
Saban fan

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We can have forgiveness because of the Blood of Christ and His sacrifice at the Cross. We acknowledge we are sinners, repent, and receive Christ by faith.
If we do not repent, if we do not put our faith in Christ, we are condemned and it ain't got nothing to do with baptism.
Acts 2:38
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this where I can find someone being condemned because they weren't baptized?

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethro,
I cannot tell you how sorry I am for what you went through....
Believe me, you have every right to complain....I have done the same....went all the way up to the head of the hospital....
And, the next time I had to go there, I got the royal treatment....don't give up on your complaining......
Remember one thing, when you drink SODAS, they will help you become dehydrated.....try to stay with water or gatorade, something of that nature.....
I sure hope and pray that you are feeling better....
Hope your g/f sees that this could be a medical condition and reconsider coming back to you.....
Keep your chin up and you will be in my prayers....
Blessings!
yes i'm doing ok i'm back to normal,and yes i'm going full steam ahead with this complaint,hopefully something will be done,and as far as going back with my ex-g/f i'm not sure i want to,the only sad thing is,she has the dog and i don't an i became very attached to the dog,i miss her more than i do my g/f. she is the best thing that ever came into my life on 4 legs,she's up to knowing and following perfectly 32 different commands,it's like she loves to learn,very eager,cause she does not try to walk away and not do it she sits right there and looks at you as if to say well i learned that one, what's next? no joke,she is extremely intelligent.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

alessandro alfieri wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hurt a guy"??
- words can only be hurtful, if someone accepts them as such.

Like my post to hojo, since you interjected and seem to want to stick up for him, I'm not sure on how they have hurt you or him.

Please explain.

Well, that is if you have the ability to do so.

I'll wait for your response.

Thank for reading my post!

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

alessandro alfieri wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW - I don't hate anyone, even hojo.

Though I find him to be uninformed, as much as you are, there is no hate involved.

In fact, I'm trying to help you both overcome your dishonesty towards yourself and others. Now that you've thrown in your dislike for me, I can assist you to overcome that as well.

What say you? Live in enlightenment or live in the darkness of the RCC and Christianity?

It is ultimately no one's choice, except your own.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
So Luke is more enlightened than Jesus, too?

Why?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, Chuckie, read the words to this song and think about it:
My precious Savior suffered pain and agony
He bore it all (Freely bore it all)
That I might live (I with Him might live)----(SPIRITUALLY)
He broke the bonds of sin and set the captive free---(FREED US)
He bore it all that I might live (in His presence live)---(SPIRITUALLY LIVE---IN HIS PRESENCE---HEAVEN)
Chorus:
He bore it all (Jesus bore it all) that I might see His shining face
That I might live (I with Him might live)
~~~I stood condemned to die but Jesus took my place~~~(WHY? STILL IN SINS)
He bore it all that I might live (in His presence live)
They placed a crown of thorns upon my Savior's head
My cruel man, with spear, his side was pierced and bled
Repeat Chorus
Up Calvary's hill in shame the blessed Savior trod
Between two thieves they crucified the Son of God
Repeat Chorus (x2)
1 Peter 2:24
24 “He himself bore our sins”[[[[[in his body]]]]] on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”
in His body.....now....
We are baptized INTO His death, burial and resurrection....
WHY???
Did you even read my post, Chuckie???

die to sins......

How do you think that we DIE TO SINS????
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus had the power to save in person. Someone posted several verses that highlighted this point within the past day.
Also, no one could say for certain that the thief had never been baptized. Everyone always assumes he had never been.
We are under the rules established after Jesus' resurrection when the church began at Pentecost. And, Paul informs that there is one baptism. The Eunuch saw much water and after confessing he believed with all his heart that Jesus was the son of God he was baptized (Acts 8:34-39).
What is the one baptism? Why?
So your saying Jesus is not saving today because He is not here in Person.
If Water Baspism saves us why did Jesus have to die, if all I needed was have a bath to be saved.
The Eunch was saved because 'HE BELIEVED IN JESUS' WATER BAPTISM CAME AFTER HE BELIEVED IN JESUS WITH ALL HIS HEART, SO HIS SALVATION WAS BEFORE WATER BAPTISM.
WE ARE SAVED THROUGH FAITH, NOT OF WORKS.

WATER BAPTISM IS A WORKS SADAN, THAT WE DO BECAUSE OF OUR FAITH IN CHRIST JESUS .
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
097 057
<quoted text>
Horse puckette!!!!!
Grits and eggs......lol....

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

It is no surprise to me that you took my statement out of context. It's what Catholics *do*.
-
In order to keep my post intact, I'm taking your original quote of mine - in the same manner you quoted me, and I'm making a quick reply - and then I am re-entering my original post below so it is accurately quoted. When you leave out key words, meaning can be misconstrued.
-
guest wrote:
These books were added by the Catholic Church ... with the Pope's approval.
-
Why did you quote me out of context? And more importantly, why do the leaders of the Catholic Church think they can continually do this sort of thing and never be questioned?
-
I know the answer, so it's a rhetorical question: They are used to getting their way because they claim apostolic succession allows their sole and exclusive interpretation of Holy Scripture.
-
-
Justice wrote:
The church chose the canon of scripture, which books were inspired at the end of the 4th century.
-
JUSTICE SAID:
“The
CHURCH
CHOSE
the
CANON
of
scripture,
which books were inspired at the end of the 4th Century.”
-
Which is what I said. The CHURCH added scripture!
-
The
HEBREW CANON …...
…......... WAS CLOSED! For approximately 800 years before the Roman Catholic Church set about deciding on its own what books should be included.
-
-
guest wrote:
Clay: "No Pope has added to sacred scripture. They do not have the authority to do so. No one has."
-
of course, Clay. So tell me so I can understand this:
-
When the church was "compiling" the scripture ... approximately 800 years AFTER Jewish canon of scripture was closed ... did the Jews of their day come by and say, "Yo! Dudes! somehow we forgot these books - so here they are and you need to add them into the Hebrew scriptures.":
-
Tobit
Judith
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Wisdom
Sirach
Baruch
-
-
I don't think so. These books were added by the Catholic Church ... with the Pope's approval.
-
-
THE IMPORTANT POINT to make here - is the Jewish canon was closed almost 800 years before the RCC added those 7 books.
-
The Jewish canon is *still *- TO THIS DAY –*closed* for additional writings; the books which were included at the time of closure HAVE NOT CHANGED in 2,400 YEARS.
-
IOW – The Jewish people did not add those 7 books at any time to their Hebrew scriptures and no-one else has the right to re-write the Jewish Bible.
-
So. Only those books now in the LONGSTANDING and SURVIVING JEWISH CANON have any credible, solid claim for canonicity.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
We can have forgiveness because of the Blood of Christ and His sacrifice at the Cross. We acknowledge we are sinners, repent, and receive Christ by faith.
If we do not repent, if we do not put our faith in Christ, we are condemned and it ain't got nothing to do with baptism.
How do we die to sins, Chuckie???

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this where I can find someone being condemned because they weren't baptized?
After being born again...we are baptized. Baptisms is a public announcement that we are now his disciples and sons of God.

If you are baptized before being born again....all you are doing is getting wet...there is no saving power in water!!!!!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>yes i'm doing ok i'm back to normal,and yes i'm going full steam ahead with this complaint,hopefully something will be done,and as far as going back with my ex-g/f i'm not sure i want to,the only sad thing is,she has the dog and i don't an i became very attached to the dog,i miss her more than i do my g/f. she is the best thing that ever came into my life on 4 legs,she's up to knowing and following perfectly 32 different commands,it's like she loves to learn,very eager,cause she does not try to walk away and not do it she sits right there and looks at you as if to say well i learned that one, what's next? no joke,she is extremely intelligent.
I am glad, Jethro, that you are getting back to normal.....

Glad that you are going ahead with this complaint.....

Just take it one day at a time, and maybe you will be able to talk things out with your g/f and get back together.....

I know how it is with dogs....they are just like having a child....we have one and he is just like part of our family and love him very much.....he also does tricks....not as many as your dog.....

Keep your chin up.....

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/did-cross-dressing-prie...

-
-
http://bible.cc/revelation/18-4.htm

Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
So your saying Jesus is not saving today because He is not here in Person.
If Water Baspism saves us why did Jesus have to die, if all I needed was have a bath to be saved.
The Eunch was saved because 'HE BELIEVED IN JESUS' WATER BAPTISM CAME AFTER HE BELIEVED IN JESUS WITH ALL HIS HEART, SO HIS SALVATION WAS BEFORE WATER BAPTISM.
WE ARE SAVED THROUGH FAITH, NOT OF WORKS.
WATER BAPTISM IS A WORKS SADAN, THAT WE DO BECAUSE OF OUR FAITH IN CHRIST JESUS .
Water baptism is the working of God, LTM.....

1 Corinthians 12:6

6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

Colossians 2:12

12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

How do we DIE to sins, LTM???
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet there is Acts 2:38 that explains it and the reason for it perfectly.

King James Version (KJV)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

WHAT DOES REPENT MEAN TO YOU SABAN. WHAT DOES REMISSION MEAN TO YOU

To believe in Jesus Christ as your LORD and savior means that you desire to obey Him--that's what we mean when we call Him LORD. Obeying Him means that we are changing our behavior to become more like Christ. That is repentance, and it goes hand-in-hand with beliving in Jesus as your LORD and savior.

The Remission of Sins

"And such (sinners) were some of you: but ye are
washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are
justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus,
and by the Spirit of our God." (I Corinthians 6:11)

No mention of water baptism here:

..." Make no mistake, this washing is for the inner man, who has been in bondage to sin all his life; and it is accomplished by the heavenly (spiritual) baptism, "BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST, AND WITH FIRE"
WATER BAPTISM IS FROM JOHN THE BAPTIST, BAPTISM IN THE HOLY GHOST AND FIRE IS FROM JESUS . DID NOT JOHN THE BAPTIST TELL YOU THAT.

"the washing of regeneration;" but rather, the renewed state is the result of "the washing of regeneration." So it is evident that receiving the holy Ghost is what gives us the true remission of sins, and thus a renewed life, by means of a new birth. But what about the part in I Cor. 6:11 that says "in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Water baptism also gives the believer the opportunity to openly testify to others of his born-again experience. It serves as an outward sign and testimony of an inward grace. The believer has been crucified with Christ, buried with Him and raised together with Him to walk in newness of life (Galatians 2:20; Romans 6:4).

If you believe you were saved because of water baptism you were not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Aura Mytha 730,450
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 3 min Senecus 2,207
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min The Cleveland Ste... 259,345
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 9 min Tim Osman 117,834
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min EdmondWA 94,411
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 17 min WildWeirdWillie 172,973
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 22 min trifecta1 599,554
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 2 hr girls united ststes 145

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••