Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 550,798
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#423721 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
The church came before scripture. Paul persecuted the church before the NT was written. The letters of the NT were not collated into a book before the end of the 4th century.
No, the fact is that scripture came some 4000 yrs before the RCC..
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423722 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
..Do believe in the Trinity? The term it not mentioned in Scripture, but we hold the belief...
They believe in the Catholic creeds, the Apostles creed and the Nicene creed. Credo means I believe in latin. Which begs the question, is it sensible to firmly believe one set of catholic beliefs, and criticise another set of catholic beliefs?
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423723 Feb 20, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>No, the fact is that scripture came some 4000 yrs before the RCC..
4000BC, wow, thats some faith you have there! I thought the old testament was written probably between 8th century and 1st century BC. The NT written in the 1st century AD.

The various books and letters were scattered across the Mediteranean countries and were compiled into one book by the CC towards the end of the 4th century AD. Also at this time the CC codified the beliefs of the church in the Nicene and Apostles creeds, put together a latin translation, the Vulgate, and compiled the church history and teachings of the early church.

Inescapable facts, whether you like it or not ;)
Clay

United States

#423724 Feb 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!!!!!
Lu 1:41-42 does not say: "Blessed art thou among women". There is no verse in the Bible that says that..
Luke 1:41-42 says: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women..."
You don't even have the words right!!!! You say ""Blessed art thou among women". The words that are part of Luke 1:41-42 say: "Most blessed are you among women..."
Ox, just shut it. You're ridiculous.
Your word play with Holy Scriptures is inexcusable.
You people will stop at nothing to denounce Catholicism. And if that means insulting the Mother of Our Lord then so be it. Right?
Clay

United States

#423725 Feb 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I will testify that he(confrinting), is a servant of the One and Only God Almighty Creator of Heaven and Earth.
Others here also born-again from above will say the same thing as we are of the One Faith.
"others here also born again from above will say the same thing as we are of the One Faith"

Now THAT is the funniest thing you've ever posted. You must really think we're that stupid...
If we Catholics leave, you all tear each other to pieces.'One Faith' my behind.
Why don't you guys figure out the correct path to Heaven first. OSAS or faith + works?
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423726 Feb 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you guys figure out the correct path to Heaven first. OSAS or faith + works?
The evangelicals present do I think seem consistent, but consistently wrong. They believed they are saved, and that that salvation is assured irrespective of how they live their life. They also believe in sola scriptura, that all the answers are in the Bible (not too bad in itself), and that the Bible is best interpreted by an individual's private interpretation. The last one being an obvious recipe for disaster.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423727 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
The evangelicals present do I think seem consistent, but consistently wrong. They believed they are saved, and that that salvation is assured irrespective of how they live their life. They also believe in sola scriptura, that all the answers are in the Bible (not too bad in itself), and that the Bible is best interpreted by an individual's private interpretation. The last one being an obvious recipe for disaster.
The Holy Scriptures are to be interpreted as to their ORIGINAL INTENT.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#423728 Feb 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Scriptures are to be interpreted as to their ORIGINAL INTENT.
So which one of your 42,000+contradicting and inconsistent Protestant interpretations are the "absolute, unquestionable, final TRUTH!! There can be ONLY ONE TRUTH! No 42,000 "relative truths" (whatever each "bible only" Protestant beliefs--decides what is "truth" for them. Jesus Christ established the ONE AND ONLY TRUTH over 2000 years ago. Paul confirms it in I Timothy 3:15 when he calls the Church (not the bible) the poillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH....But, of course, you "bible only" (fundies) will believe "only" whatever bible verses will "fit into your anti-catholic, hostile and heretical 21st century "Church history book" of "personal opinion --half-truth Christianity. You have all become "experts" at rewriting TRUTH Church History and mis-interpreting the bible to your own "demise and destruction"!!
God is not, nor ever will be the author of your Protestant contradicting and conflicting--"confusion and chaos". The TRUTH has, is, and will continue to be authenticated in over 2000 years of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ)
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423729 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not changing the Scriptures. Have a look at the passage I provided. You anti Catholicism is effecting you.
However, the prayer address "Mary" because that's who the angel adressed.
Really, your assertions are quite embarrassing.
The Ave Maria is 100% Scriptural!
Fact: Mary came to the party late -- after Constantine.

Mary is hardly mentioned in the Gospels. Her death is never recorded.

Mary wasn't even mentioned once in the first Nicene Creed.

Mary came late, because having a female god figure to replace Isis and other female god figures at the time was important.

Today, the RCC uses Mary like a pimp uses his 'hoos.' They use her and abuse her by putting absurd words in her mouth, but the RCC teaches us nothing about what it was really like to be a young Jewish girl.

The RCC's story -- if even remotely true -- would have made Mary an outcast in her own Jewish community, which we are told in the Bible was NOT the case.

Someone made up some lies about Mary, well after the fact.
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423730 Feb 20, 2013
Look at the crap the RCC puts in Mary's mouth....

Second Secret of Fatima - called by the last three Popes "the most important miracle" (lie) in RCC history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Secrets_of...

Background -- these words from Mary were supposedly uttered in 1917 during WW1. However, they were not reported by the Vatican until 1941, after WW2 had already begun.

Mary supposedly says...

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace. The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pope Pius XI."

In short - more devotion to me or else World War 2."

How sweet.

How absurd.

How insulting to Mary.

Also -- how are souls saved according to Mary? Through her or through God?

Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423731 Feb 20, 2013
Interesting article
Cardinal Turkson (favorite to be next Pope) blames gay priests for abuse scandals
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22814...

Seems like the media already have it in for him, even before he is elected.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423732 Feb 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
So which one of your 42,000+contradicting and inconsistent Protestant interpretations are the "absolute, unquestionable, final TRUTH!! There can be ONLY ONE TRUTH! No 42,000 "relative truths" (whatever each "bible only" Protestant beliefs--decides what is "truth" for them. Jesus Christ established the ONE AND ONLY TRUTH over 2000 years ago. Paul confirms it in I Timothy 3:15 when he calls the Church (not the bible) the poillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH....But, of course, you "bible only" (fundies) will believe "only" whatever bible verses will "fit into your anti-catholic, hostile and heretical 21st century "Church history book" of "personal opinion --half-truth Christianity. You have all become "experts" at rewriting TRUTH Church History and mis-interpreting the bible to your own "demise and destruction"!!
God is not, nor ever will be the author of your Protestant contradicting and conflicting--"confusion and chaos". The TRUTH has, is, and will continue to be authenticated in over 2000 years of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ)
Did Jesus DEFEAT the Devil by just using SCRIPTURES?????

Sure He did.....

And what were those THREE (3) DANGEROUS words that Jesus used????

"IT IS WRITTEN"

He did NOT use the words "I say"....he used "IT IS WRITTEN"

He chose the only safe and sure way to DEFEAT Satan: the HOLY SCRIPTURES!!!!!!!!!!
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423733 Feb 20, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
Look at the crap the RCC puts in Mary's mouth....
Second Secret of Fatima ..
Still remains a fact that these are private devotion. Mass is compulsory. Private devotions are secondary and assist people in thei prayer life and in achieving holiness.

I wonder if any of the critics regularly pray themselves. I dont. But Im not one of those criticising how other people choose to pray.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423734 Feb 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Timothy 4:13

13 ~~~~~Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.~~~~~~

Until Jesus comes....what are we (Christians) suppose to do. HOJO????

DEVOTE yourself to the PUBLIC READING of SCRIPTURE....to preaching and to teaching......

The Holy Scriptures were READ/TAUGHT in the churches every Lord's Day.....
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423735 Feb 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Timothy 4:13
13 ~~~~~Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.~~~~~~
Good point. But scriptures in this context meant the old testament letters, as when this was written, the NT books had not all be written and were not collected together for a further c.300 years.

Also note that St Paul also recommends preaching and teaching. In the early church this would have likely be the more common method as so few people could read and write, and written scriptures were so rare. This is why the great commission in its various forms in the gospels is a command to preach and teach, rather than to read or write.
Clay

United States

#423736 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
4000BC, wow, thats some faith you have there! I thought the old testament was written probably between 8th century and 1st century BC. The NT written in the 1st century AD.
The various books and letters were scattered across the Mediteranean countries and were compiled into one book by the CC towards the end of the 4th century AD. Also at this time the CC codified the beliefs of the church in the Nicene and Apostles creeds, put together a latin translation, the Vulgate, and compiled the church history and teachings of the early church.
Inescapable facts, whether you like it or not ;)
Another interesting fact: on February 24, 303 AD (8 yrs before Constantine legalized Christianity) the Roman Emperors (I believe there were 4 rulers at that time?) launched the most brutal Christianity persecution to date. Catholic Churches across the Roman Empire - stretching all the way to Britain - were burned to the ground. For the next 8 yrs, sacred scriptures were gathered and destroyed. Thousands of Martyrs were fed to the Lions.

Again, sacred scripture were gathered and destroyed. Those writings that did survive made it into the New Testament a hundred yrs later.

Jesus Christ established a Church. It survived that persecution and countless others. And it will survive future persecution too.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423737 Feb 20, 2013

BIBLESTUDYTOOLS.COM

Jeremiah: Answering the Call

Philip Graham Ryken

The rabbis called him “the Weeping Prophet.” They said he began wailing the moment he was born. When Michelangelo painted him on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, he presented him in a posture of despair. He looks like a man who has wept so long he has no tears left to shed. His face is turned to one side, like a man who has been battered by many blows. His shoulders are hunched forward, weighed down by the sins of Judah. His eyes also are cast down, as if he can no longer bear to see God’s people suffer. His hand covers his mouth. Perhaps he has nothing left to say.

His name was Jeremiah. His story begins like this:

The words of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah, one of the priests at Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. The word of the Lord came to him in the thirteenth year of the reign of Josiah son of Amon king of Judah, and through the reign of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, down to the fifth month of the eleventh year of Zedekiah son of Josiah king of Judah, when the people of Jerusalem went into exile.(vv. 1-3)

This introduction tells us a great deal about Jeremiah. He was a preacher’s son, for his father Hilkiah was a priest. He was born in the village of Anathoth, close enough to Jerusalem to see the city walls, but at the edge of the wilderness, where the land slopes down to the Dead Sea. He labored as God’s prophet for forty years or more, from 627 b.c. to some time after 586 b.c. Four decades is a long time to be a weeping prophet.

Jeremiah lived when little Israel was tossed around by three great superpowers: Assyria to the north, Egypt to the south, and Babylon to the east. He served — and suffered — through the administrations of three kings: Josiah the reformer, Jehoiakim the despot, and Zedekiah the puppet. He was a prophet during the cold November winds of Judah’s life as a nation, right up to the time God’s people were deported to Babylon. Jeremiah himself was exiled to Egypt, where he died.

Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423738 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. But scriptures in this context meant the old testament letters, as when this was written, the NT books had not all be written and were not collected together for a further c.300 years.
Also note that St Paul also recommends preaching and teaching. In the early church this would have likely be the more common method as so few people could read and write, and written scriptures were so rare. This is why the great commission in its various forms in the gospels is a command to preach and teach, rather than to read or write.
Sorry, I said Jesus and I meant Paul...kids were talking to me...

Timothy, in order to be an effective watchman of the Lord's, was to constantly work at keeping the DOCTRINE of Jesus Christ free from spot or reproach.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423739 Feb 20, 2013
A Divine Call

Jeremiah’s sufferings began with a divine call:

The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”(vv. 4-5)

God did wonderful things for Jeremiah before he was even born. He knew him. He formed him. He set him apart and appointed him as a prophet to the nations. He did all this long before Jeremiah drew his first breath or shed his first tear.

The call of Jeremiah is rich in its doctrinal and practical content. Among its important teachings are the following:

1. God is the Lord of life. God formed Jeremiah in the womb. Jeremiah had biological parents, of course, but God himself fashioned him and knit him together in his mother’s womb. Telling children who ask where babies come from that they come from God is good theology. And it is not bad science either. The Lord of life uses the natural processes he designed to plant human life in the womb.

2. A fetus is a person. A person is a human being, created in the image of God, living in relationship to God. This verse testifies that the personal relationship between God and his child takes place in the womb, or even earlier.

Birth is not our beginning. Not even conception is our real beginning. In some ineffable way, God has a personal knowledge of the individual that precedes conception.“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.” This is the strong, intimate, Hebrew word for “know” that is also used to describe sexual intimacy between husband and wife.

“I knew you.” What a beautiful thing for God to say to his children!“I loved you and cared for you in eternity past. I made a personal commitment to you even before you were born.” And what a beautiful thing for parents to say to their children:“God knows you, God loves you, and God has entered into a personal relationship with you.” This verse holds special comfort for mothers who have had miscarriages. It gives hope to parents who have lost children in infancy, and even for women who aborted their own babies. God knew your child, and he knows your child.

3. We do not choose God before God chooses us. If you want to know who you are, you have to know whose you are. For the Christian, the answer to that question is that you belong to Jesus Christ.
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#423740 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
The Scriptures I provided back this part of the prayer.
You are not suddenly chosing to be un-Scriptural when convenient now are you!
PLUS abundant evidence from the times of the NT Church also shows the Church believed that asking the prayers of Saints was in harmony with Scripture.
You are clearly nit-picking because you hate the Catholic Church
To my understanding prayers of the living go up before the God like inscense and continue to do so even after death. Christ is the mediator between man and God.
Once that Saint/Person has desceased there is no new prayers other than those of the living that continue to be sent.
Yes the prayers of the past for the Church and mankind are still in effect but the deceased have no knowledge or current events and will not have til the resurrection.
Rely on Gods word not mans opinion and false doctrine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min bacon hater 96,410
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min dirty white boy- 753,530
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 13 min Ricky F 53,225
Interracial experience-Mexican men and Black women (Jul '12) 24 min tamyaR 105
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min NEWS-FLASH 174,531
Are Alopecia treatments just one big scam? 30 min Alopecia 1
Hair Loss Black Book 31 min Alopecia 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Dorian_Gay 262,069
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 602,762

Top Stories People Search