Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,401)

Showing posts 408,001 - 408,020 of529,742
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
He quoted many times from the scripture in my Bible. Even while he was on the cross he quoted scripture!!!
Are you really that ignorant? If so, stop typing so much and study/learn.
He never quoted NT scripture, as I stated.

You ARE a Christian, yes? As such, the NT IS the operative, correct?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
So people wouldn't put themselves in front of scriptures-for instance, saying they have authority to interpret God's word themselves, that the Church is unnecessary for salvation, etc.
I never said the church was unnecessary for salvation. I believe the moment someone rises from the waters of baptism for the forgiveness of their sin (Acts 2:38) they are "in Christ" they are in the church, they are members of Christ's Kingdom, his body. They cannot be saved and avoid the church anymore than someone in Noah's day could be saved and avoid the Ark.

Why are we told to study to show ourselves approved?

Why are we warned against false teachers? So we can sit and wait for the Pope to announce that our neighbor Billy Bob down the street is false teaching that if you buy fireworks at his fireworks stand you'll go to Heaven?

Is there a polite and respectful way to warn you that you are brainwashed and following false teachings?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again you present opinion rather than scripture evidence. This could only be the correct way to debate Bible in the Catholic Church since It seems evident that the church's opinion today can supersede the Holy scriptures.
I previously cited John 6 and John 3.

Please do make an effort to keep track here, Saban.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I need to direct you to the Great Comission?
Matt. 16:19
And this scripture proves which of your opinions?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said the church was unnecessary for salvation. I believe the moment someone rises from the waters of baptism for the forgiveness of their sin (Acts 2:38) they are "in Christ" they are in the church, they are members of Christ's Kingdom, his body. They cannot be saved and avoid the church anymore than someone in Noah's day could be saved and avoid the Ark.
Why are we told to study to show ourselves approved?
Why are we warned against false teachers? So we can sit and wait for the Pope to announce that our neighbor Billy Bob down the street is false teaching that if you buy fireworks at his fireworks stand you'll go to Heaven?
Is there a polite and respectful way to warn you that you are brainwashed and following false teachings?
You're making my point for me.

If one studies to make themselves approved, you can't leave out the means for said person to know they are correct in their conclusions. The Church, given to us by Christ, provides this anchor. Otherwise, everyone decalres themselves "approved". See this board for an illustration of this. "Duelling Bibles".

If everyone is able to instruct themselves in Scripture and thus is free to affirm their personal judgement upon them, then there cannot be a "false teacher"; If everyone is free to render their own verdict upon scriptur,e without appeal to an authoritative interpretation, you get doctrinal chaos-protestantism and its offshoots.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
And this scripture proves which of your opinions?
Ministerial authority in the Church vs.'free range' interpretation of scripture.

John 6 and John 3, cited twice now by me, affirm the Real Presence in the Eucharist and salvific baptism.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He never quoted NT scripture, as I stated.
You ARE a Christian, yes? As such, the NT IS the operative, correct?
How could he have quoted "NT" scripture?

The fact that he was replacing the old covenant while quoting and validating the prophesy in the OT, seems proof enough that it would be in his plan to record these events we have recorded for us in the NT.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that he was replacing the old covenant while quoting and validating the prophesy in the OT, seems proof enough that it would be in his plan to record these events we have recorded for us in the NT.
I have no problem with scripture having been recorded. That's how it becomes "scripture".

Jesus never stated implicity nor explicitly that scripture was to be regarded as the whole of His teaching. Even scripture itself says that it doesn't contain everything, while also relating to us that Christ established the Church to teach until His return.

That's not that hard to understand, is it? In NO WAY does this subjugate scripture nor repudiate its authority.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I previously cited John 6 and John 3.
Please do make an effort to keep track here, Saban.
You cited those scriptures for which of your positions? Please make an effort to elaborate, Dan, so someone working on a house, outside, can use their iPhone to keep up. I don't have the luxury of time or laptop ease to go back two or three posts, sometimes more when its Dan, to know what was being discussed.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
NT scripture is where we locate Christ's teachings. I consider that worthy of my extra attention in a discussion of Christian faith.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're making my point for me.
If one studies to make themselves approved, you can't leave out the means for said person to know they are correct in their conclusions. The Church, given to us by Christ, provides this anchor. Otherwise, everyone decalres themselves "approved". See this board for an illustration of this. "Duelling Bibles".
If everyone is able to instruct themselves in Scripture and thus is free to affirm their personal judgement upon them, then there cannot be a "false teacher"; If everyone is free to render their own verdict upon scriptur,e without appeal to an authoritative interpretation, you get doctrinal chaos-protestantism and its offshoots.
Wrong. Scripture alone can point out the false teachers.

Not following scripture alone creates the chaos in the world of denominations.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
NT scripture is where we locate Christ's teachings. I consider that worthy of my extra attention in a discussion of Christian faith.
Sanctimonious answer for a question that wasn't asked.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sanctimonious answer for a question that wasn't asked.
Why are you only "distracted" when I offer scriptural citation?

iPhone on the blink?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Scripture alone" has informed the false teacher.

How now to "point out" the false teacher, since he uses the same instrument to inform himself and has concluded differently?

"Scripture alone" is the father of chaos.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You cited those scriptures for which of your positions? Please make an effort to elaborate, Dan, so someone working on a house, outside, can use their iPhone to keep up. I don't have the luxury of time or laptop ease to go back two or three posts, sometimes more when its Dan, to know what was being discussed.
Third time:

The Real Presence of Christ at the Eucharist (John 6) and salvific baptism (John 3).
Free Mind

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He apologized for sins of omission and commission done in the name of the Church. Nominally, the Crusades and acts during the Inquisitions.
The Catechism did not instruct these actions done, no.
Thank you Dan. That is not what I have read however.

"It apologized for contributing to Christian disunity and the mistakes made during the Counter-Reformation."

http://www.netplaces.com/catholicism/moderniz...

Crusades, Inquisitions? I didn't realize. Please post links. Thanks.

Otherwise, WHAT Catechism are you talking about?

Today's Catechism, or the Catechism as written in 1826?

There bare some BIG differences in those "perfect teachings" that you rationalize away.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture doesn't interpret itself.

You just said that study is required. Thus, it requires an interpreter.

I agree with this-divinely inspired text requires divinely inspired interpretation.

You agree with it also. You regard the canon of the Bible as sacred scripture. The Church declared the canon of the Bible.
Free Mind

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Scripture alone" has informed the false teacher.
How now to "point out" the false teacher, since he uses the same instrument to inform himself and has concluded differently?
"Scripture alone" is the father of chaos.
"... for ye shall know them by their deeds."

Let's see? Start with the RCC's Jesus palace, financed largely through the sale of indulgences, adorned with gold stolen from and mined by Indian slaves.

Were those really the wishes of Jesus?

Did Jesus really use -- Bonito Mussolini -- to empower the Church, so that later it could use that power to avoid justice for sexually-abuse orphans and deaf children?

That's what some people would call "rationalization."

Dude, even you must believe God is greater than that.

"... for ye shall know them by their deeds" makes perfect sense.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Dan. That is not what I have read however.
"It apologized for contributing to Christian disunity and the mistakes made during the Counter-Reformation."
http://www.netplaces.com/catholicism/moderniz...
Crusades, Inquisitions? I didn't realize. Please post links. Thanks.
Otherwise, WHAT Catechism are you talking about?
Today's Catechism, or the Catechism as written in 1826?
There bare some BIG differences in those "perfect teachings" that you rationalize away.
Just google "John Paul II apology" and you'll get some info.

What 1826 Catechism are you referring to?
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
"... for ye shall know them by their deeds."
Let's see? Start with the RCC's Jesus palace, financed largely through the sale of indulgences, adorned with gold stolen from and mined by Indian slaves.
Were those really the wishes of Jesus?
Did Jesus really use -- Bonito Mussolini -- to empower the Church, so that later it could use that power to avoid justice for sexually-abuse orphans and deaf children?
That's what some people would call "rationalization."
Dude, even you must believe God is greater than that.
"... for ye shall know them by their deeds" makes perfect sense.
FM-

Get serious.

I mean, I'll answer questions, but I';m not going to dissect Jack Chick tracts with you.

It's "Benito" and that treaty didn't "empower" the church.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 408,001 - 408,020 of529,742
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

436 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 93,155
chat with demi lovato 112 (the real official de... (Jan '09) 5 min singing icecream 1,833
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min nanoanomaly 716,058
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Dr_Zorderz 255,609
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 min Mandela 114,555
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 19 min WasteWater 3,865
Do you think older men like to be with teen girls? (Sep '09) 28 min Yuuup 244
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr The Awakener 171,399
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 6 hr Shut-Up 60
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••