Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596228 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

United States

#423305 Feb 18, 2013
http://bible.cc/revelation/18-4.htm

New International Version (©1984)

Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;

United States

#423306 Feb 18, 2013
http://bible.cc/john/8-32.htm
-
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-
-

United States

#423307 Feb 18, 2013
Now, in Matthew when Jesus is speaking to ALL THE APOSTLES (not just Peter) HE SAID:

http://niv.scripturetext.com/matthew/18.htm

18 “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will bed bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will bee loosed in heaven."

United States

#423308 Feb 18, 2013
The gates of hell will not prevail against the TRUTH.
David McIntyre

Sydney, Australia

#423309 Feb 18, 2013
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
Dear Friend

With love and respect, I would politely point out the invalidity of your assertion.

To be a Catholic Christian (as you claim to be) actually means believing that the Catholic Church is that one and same Church established by Jesus, and which He promised to guide until the end. This has ALWAYS been the consistant teaching of the Catholic Church, from the New Testament times and down through the centuries.

Pope Benedict has only re-emphasised the teaching. You claim to desire to leave the Church because of what the Pope has RECENTLTY taught, but the Church has ALWAYS taught this. Your view has simply been already outside Catholic belief and teaching, all along.

Incidently,don't single out the Catholic Church- every one of the 60,000 (and growing) Protestant groups claim to have arrived at Christ's truth and claim a divine guarantee of truth. The difference is Catholics listen to the Church established and guided by Jesus, where as Protestant assert that every one of us who picks up the Scripture can read them and is guaranteed to arrive at Christ's truth... Now that interesting- Christ's Truth comes in thousands of different version!(I don't think so).

Anyway to further ease your alarm, you should realise that whilst the Cathoic Church teaches it is the one true Church,it also teaches that other Christian groups that have departed from the Catholic Church still do possess some of the truth and Grace which is only fully and completely present in the Catholic Church.

If Christ is Truth and promised to always teach his Truth, then there can only be one true Church. All quite logical really.

Maybee it's time to think and pray rather than rant and rave.

Dave McIntyre

Long Live the Holy Father, successor of St Peter!
David McIntyre

Sydney, Australia

#423310 Feb 18, 2013
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
PS: You claim that to be Christian "one simply needs to believe in the Trinty and God". I would politely suggest that you need to read the writings of the early Church. Start with the New Testament, then the writings of the Early Fathers, then continue down throught the centries, to the present day. YOU WILL FIND THEY WERE ALL CATHOLIC ON EVERY POINT(BE CAREFUL NOT TO CONFUSE WHAT YOU MAY CONSIDER to be "ADDING TO TEACHING" WITH WHAT IS INFACT GAINING A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF TEACHING- WHICH CHRIST PROMISED TO PROVIDE US WITH).Your assertion of simply holding a couple of vague beliefs was never historically the case. Additionally, your assertion provides a lesson for our Protestants friends who chose to deny some aspects of the Faith. At the end of the day, if you don't like Catholic Church's teaching you can always join the other groups if you don't have a problem with them.
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423311 Feb 18, 2013
guest wrote:
What you are talking about is not solely a Catholic problem, it is a society problem.
truth

Perth, Australia

#423312 Feb 18, 2013
plague what you set up trough your system computer..

byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Clay

Chicago, IL

#423313 Feb 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
it is unbelievable how you cannot see just how warped Catholicism and its leaders truly is.
-
here's what your "nice" pope says about pedophilia:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-...
-
“In the 1970s, paedophilia was theorised as something fully in conformity with man and even with children,” the Pope said.
Hold on there. Stop. Back up.
Catholicism is not warped. Its perfect and infallibly guided by the resurrected Christ.

Its leaders?

No, they are not perfect- nor infallible.**
Some have been warped; all have sinned, some are destined for hell.
A Priest at my home parish -a hundred yrs ago - was murdered on the front steps by the husband of his mistress who he impregnated.
Is that Catholicism? Is that the Catholic Church itself? Nope. Ideologue such as yourself would like to..... No ...NEED to believe it is. But its not.

** Clarification: The Pope himself is not an infallible person. He is a sinner, and some have sinned greater than you or I.
However, they are protected from error when teaching on faith and morals. The Holy Spirit needs to protect someone, right? How else are we going to know the truth?
Confrint will say it comes from him... And so will every other paper pope out there.
Obviously there can only be one who would be protected.
truth

Perth, Australia

#423314 Feb 18, 2013
Pray for your enemy even Abraham want blessing..did he liked be bless..yes..from someone who is been before him..yes ..what radio vision say..kiss Abraham hand is that our lovely Father Maharadza..if yes its very nice know..on how many place as well many face..

Did our real God who is full of Mercy and goodness did not know who is who?
Don't put God on test it is written.
truth

Perth, Australia

#423315 Feb 18, 2013
Clay right is zero..all prophets see on front..2000 4000 years ago..who kill them and why?
Did you need protection know that?
I don't think so.
Are you going make someone confuse with your emotional
impact..perhaps yes on many but not who is quiet as well not say nothing.

be good
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423316 Feb 18, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>"Christ never taught that He'd leave a "manual."
lets see you prove this statement.
Well, it's not in the "manual" you think He left you.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423317 Feb 18, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Over 7 BILLION people on the planet. Just over 1 Billion claim to be catholic but not all practice their faith. Over 1 Billion Muslims, millions of Hindus, Seiks, jews, non believers and others.
If God is almighty, all powerful he could have made the whole world catholic, but he didn't.
Remember God has no religion.
God gave everyone free will.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423318 Feb 18, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen a direct response from you to me in quite a while.
What you mentioned to me was three or four things you said the Catholic Church had that I do not remember seeing in the scriptures. I asked three or more times for clarification.
If you ain't spinning your dancing around the subject.
Forget it anyways. Uselessness is not something with which I have much toleration. At least your "f a t h e r" has shown some credibility. If I have a question I'll ask him.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not completely useless.

John 6 for the Eucharist, John 3 for salvific baptism.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423319 Feb 18, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You continue to make strong statements about the unscriptural use of scripture alone while conveniently leaving out the scriptural evidence of your claim.
Useless.
The Bible isn't self-referential. It does not have a divinely-inspired table of contents nor does Jesus instruct the use of scripture to the exclusion of all else for instruction in faith.

I've only typed that half a dozen times.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423320 Feb 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
It is amazing your inability to bring logic into any of your arguments. Or, maybe not so amazing - I suppose the ability to reason about things for yourself has been commandeered by the Catholic hierarchy's indoctrination.
-
FYI - Clay ... the BIBLE is NOT the property of the Catholic church.
It is God's gift to all mankind and YOUR CHURCH tried to suppress it, because they did not want people questioning what the Catholic hierarchy was doing.
-
The Jews were not selfish with the Hebrew text. They made meticulous copies so all of mankind could read it. This is why it is still available for us today. NOT because of the Catholic church.
-
Again: THERE IS NO GOOD REASON FOR A TRUE CHRISTIAN TO HIDE THE WORD OF GOD FROM THE PEOPLE. This is what the Catholic church did. They, in fact, tortured and murdered those who had copies of the scriptures. A TRUE Church would NOT do that - because a TRUE church would have NOTHING TO HIDE.*THEREFORE* Catholicism CANNOT be the true religion. period.
-
By denying the people the right to read the Scriptures, the Catholic church has CREATED the confusion that is now prevalent in the numerous denominations.
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
True Christians want to SHARE THE GOOD NEWS with everyone. Not hide it at the Vatican libraries.
-
-
SO CLAY ....
IF YOU CAN SHOW ME ONE GOOD REASON FOR HIDING THE SCRIPTURE FROM THE PEOPLE, I WILL RETURN TO BEING CATHOLIC.
Why demand that Clay offer a response for your straw man argument (he didn't suggest hiding scripture)?

Clay said, correctly, that Christ didn't command that all He said be written down.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#423321 Feb 18, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>

Long Live the Holy Father, successor of St Peter!
Got news for you.
The ONLY HOLY FATHER is GOD.
Your elected popoe is no 'Holy Father'. So can the lies.
As for Peter, he was never a pope, and old Ratslinger is no successor, either, any more than any other of your elected old boys.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#423322 Feb 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible isn't self-referential. It does not have a divinely-inspired table of contents nor does Jesus instruct the use of scripture to the exclusion of all else for instruction in faith.
I've only typed that half a dozen times.
And you've not proven your statement is correct.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/B...
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#423323 Feb 18, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is completely entwined with scripture. Its inseparable.. You guys attempted to remove the Church and just go with the bible (to design your own tower to Heaven).
You do not understand how, what and where the Bible is.
You demand that every word (like Cardinal or Pope) should explicitly be spelled out in scripture for it to be valid. Well, I'm sorry Saban, you do not get to dictate what the Bible should be. It was not given to us like that.
If you claim it was revealed as a word for word; sola scripture method, then show me from scripture where it states that, then we'll go from there. Ok?
Here's several examples where it says it:

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/B...
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423324 Feb 18, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
you should realise that whilst the Cathoic Church teaches it is the one true Church,it also teaches that other Christian groups that have departed from the Catholic Church still do possess some of the truth and Grace which is only fully and completely present in the Catholic Church.
Are these critics of the RCC so charitable? Do they think Catholics are saved, or just their own particular group?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 3 min Johnny 504
Japanese Asian Outcall Massage Tower Hill or Ch... (Dec '14) 4 min mirabellamassage 2
The Christian Atheist debate 5 min HipGnosis 961
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Buck Crick 854,688
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 min WasteWater 444,312
arabic fonts for photoshop cs5 myegy 21 min ahmadwael 1
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 28 min WasteWater 6,136
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Truths 612,610
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 4 hr tamizh 7,334
More from around the web