Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,502
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#422910 Feb 15, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you've seen the news about the pope and I was curious as to how can you resign when God supposedly has placed you in the position as His spokesman?
It saddens me that our pope will resign..
He knows when to leave, if he can’t carry on the work of the Lord.

“The pope, known for his conservative doctrine, did not intend to influence the decision of the cardinals who will enter a secret conclave to elect a successor, Vatican spokesman Father Lombardi Federico said.

Benedict stepped up the Church's opposition to gay marriage, underscored the Church's resistance to a female priesthood and to embryonic stem cell research.

A new leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics could be elected as soon as Palm Sunday, on March 24 and be ready to take over by Easter a week later, he said.”

The pope told the cardinals that in order to govern "...both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me."
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#422911 Feb 15, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>so you are now saying that people under the Old Covenant were never Saved.
tell that to old moses and lige.lol
THEY MADE IT, YOU GOT IT TO MAKE.
HANK, NOTHING HAS CHANGED, AND YOU SHOULD TELL SABAN THAT. EVEN AT MY ADVANCED AGE, I STILL AINT TO DULL WHEN IT COMES TO THE WORD OF GOD.
by Faith only did God count it for rightousness looking forward to the cross and shedding of his blood same for today and looking back and by faith that through God's grace is man saved. Faith entails doing our first works over and keeping the commnadments and ordinaces that Christ gave us that produce the fruits of the spirit and those works do follow us unto the ressurrection when we are made incorruptable.

Remember those were VISIONS of Moses and Elijah and parables Christ taught.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422912 Feb 15, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
“The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20,
The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2).”
2 Tim. 2:2 applies to any Christian
Eph. 2:19-20 tells us all Christians are citizens of Christ's Kingdom (the church) built upon the foundation of the apostles.

No mention of how any succession would work. No mention of Popes, Cardinals or Bluebirds.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#422913 Feb 15, 2013
Tastethtrainbow wrote:
I don't agree. smh i grew up catholic but didn't like how many Hispanics and Latinos pray to the virgin Mary more then god. so when i was 12 I stop attending mass. I believe in god but not in the catholic church
Neither the Bible nor the English dictionary make reference to "god" and/or the "catholic church"....

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#422914 Feb 15, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Eph. 2:19-20 tells us all Christians are citizens of Christ's Kingdom (the church) built upon the foundation of the apostles.
No mention of how any succession would work. No mention of Popes, Cardinals or Bluebirds.
Apostolic succession

Acts 1: 20-26 Matthias chosen to Replace Judas” This is Apostolic succession.

20 “For,” said Peter,“it is written in the Book of Psalms:

“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’[c]

and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[d]

21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole

time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time

when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his

resurrection.”

23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed,“Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

Must run, time for my Zumba class..
Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#422915 Feb 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Under normal circumstances only a priest baptizes.
Actually, a deacon is also an ordinary minister of baptism.

Anyone can baptize validly; they are not even required to be a Christian.

All that is required is water and a Trinitarian formula, and the desire to do what Christians do when Christians baptize.

The preferred method would be immersion, but pouring would be considered acceptable.

Sprinkling would generally be frowned upon, although I suppose aargument could be made for its validity at great need. It would be valid but illicit, I think. I will have to look it up.(In a situation where a priest would be resorting to this, there really would not be time for niceties.. The plane would be going down, I think.)

Water is to be used. All kinds of arguments have been made about saliva or other liquids.

Again, I think it would come down to valid but illicit, as one would only resort to these other things when no water was available.

Rob

Location hidden

#422916 Feb 15, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a rebuttal:
And they wore their costumes and spent their money on and listened to their tremendous pipe organs during worship in the castles they constructed to impress people.- No - it's NOT there.
Apostacy took place rendering it man's church. A denomination. Not Christ's church.
....because you can't find any of this nonsense in the scriptures. It makes my point for me that the church you read about in scripture is not at all the current man-made Catholic church.
You have no true guide except for the men (did you notice that word, men) that tell you what you can believe and that interpret the scripture for you because obviously you folks can't be trusted with it. Please enter the Catholic church and leave your God given intelligence outside. Write checks so we can build big monuments to ourselves and buy costumes to show you how special we are.
"Catholic church"....there is no such.

Catholics maintain Scripture in Mt 16:18 proves Christ built the Catholic Church, because He made Peter the first pope...

Well...guess what!!!! For Peter to be the first pope, there had to be, at that instant, a Catholic Church, or, at the very least, one before he died, thing is, there was not...

Proof: When Christ referred to the seven churches in Rev 2, He never referred to any of them as the Catholic Church...nor did He mention any church in Rome....

But...Catholics deny the truth...that is their mainstay....

Location hidden

#422917 Feb 15, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment you yourself said was addressed to the Apostles. How do you change the rules on this? It was either addressed to the Apostles only or not.
Don't forget, all Christians are Priests. The Bible does not discriminate.
Horse puckett!!!!

Priest:(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity a person ordained to act as a mediator between God and man in administering the sacraments, preaching, blessing, guiding, etc.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422918 Feb 15, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
All that is required is water and a Trinitarian formula, and the desire to do what Christians do when Christians baptize.
The preferred method would be immersion, but pouring would be considered acceptable.
Sprinkling would generally be frowned upon, although I suppose aargument could be made for its validity at great need. It would be valid but illicit, I think. I will have to look it up.(In a situation where a priest would be resorting to this, there really would not be time for niceties.. The plane would be going down, I think.)
Water is to be used. All kinds of arguments have been made about saliva or other liquids.
Again, I think it would come down to valid but illicit, as one would only resort to these other things when no water was available.
Rob
I agree that anyone can baptize - Christian or not. The baptizer doesn't matter, it is the person being baptized and the reason they are doing so that is of importance.

But, based on the verse that the other commentator was using to say Jesus' Great commission was for the Apostles only should also place baptism as a requirement that only they could fulfill.

That was the subject of the discussion.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422919 Feb 15, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse puckett!!!!
Priest:(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity a person ordained to act as a mediator between God and man in administering the sacraments, preaching, blessing, guiding, etc.
Revelation 1:6
and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#422920 Feb 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you cite the Catehcism that relates this teaching, Micheal?
We'd love to see something approaching proof for your claim here.
Thanks
It doesn't have to say it in the catechism.

[Matt. 25:41], unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, UNLESS HE HAS REMAIMED IN THE BOSOM AND UNITY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH"

The highest church officials, at least 3 PREVIOUS POPES have said it at different councils of the church authority at 3 different times in history.

Are you saying DAN that these Popes were wrong in saying this? Are you saying the gospel writer Matthew is wrong 25:41?

Don't blame me for what the church leaders stated.

.......The fate of non-Catholics, as stated prior to Vatican II:
Before Vatican II, the Church consistently taught that only Roman Catholics had a chance to be saved and attain Heaven. Followers of other Christian denominations and of other religions would be automatically routed to Hell for all eternity:

....Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) is considered "one of the greatest popes of the Middle Ages..." 1 At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote:
"There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which no one at all can be saved."

....Pope Boniface VIII (1235-1303 CE) promulgated a Papal Bull in 1302 CE titled Unam Sanctam (One Holy). He wrote, in part:
"Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that outside of her there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins...In her then is one Lord, one faith, one baptism [Ephesians 4:5]. There had been at the time of the deluge only one ark of Noah, prefiguring the one Church, which ark, having been finished to a single cubit, had only one pilot and guide, i.e., Noah, and we read that, outside of this ark, all that subsisted on the earth was destroyed....Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff." 2

....Pope Eugene IV,(1388-1447 CE) wrote a Papal bull in 1441 CE titled Cantate Domino. One paragraph reads:
"It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics cannot become participants in eternal life, but will depart 'into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels'[Matt. 25:41], unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church." 4

Catholics on this forum consistantly say that the catholic church was better off pre-vatican II.
Clay

United States

#422921 Feb 15, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Rob
What do you think about the Papal prophecies? sounds like we've got one more to go before God ends the Church on Earth. Normally I wouldn't think too much of this stuff, but the last two Pope predictions seemed quite accurate..

United States

#422925 Feb 15, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
-
-
StarC wrote:
Apostolic succession
Acts 1: 20-26 Matthias chosen to Replace Judas” This is Apostolic succession.
20 “For,” said Peter,“it is written in the Book of Psalms:
“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’[c]
and,
“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[d]
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole
time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time
when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his
resurrection.”
23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed,“Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.
Must run, time for my Zumba class..
-
-
aaaahmm....
-
If that example is "Apostolic Succession" then anyone can see just how warped the RCC truly is.
-
Matthias was chosen to replace an Apostle that proved unfaithful and who turned on Jesus.
-
The Popes are 'supposedly' chosen to replace Christ in succession.
-
Furthermore there is no Apostolic Succession when it comes to Mathias ... there's only the (supposed)succession of Peter.
-
Your argument is devoid of logic - but that is no surprise to those outside the Catholic church since it is, in essence, how a Catholic brain is trained by the church to respond to any argument about True Christianity vs. The Roman Catholic Church.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#422926 Feb 15, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Suggested reading:
If you're Baptist
http://www.apologeticspress.org/pdfs/e-books_...
If you're Lutheran
http://www.apologeticspress.org/pdfs/e-books_...
~~~

Suggested reading...IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN..

THE HOLY BIBLE...

One does not need a Bible laced with denominational applications...

PERSONAL CONVICTIONS opinions conclusions of men.

I use a 26 Translation Bible and some translations change scriptures to where the meat..(the real spiritual food has be left out by carnal minded individuals)...

example.... the VULGATE.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#422927 Feb 15, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>By reading your many post at some point in time God according to YOU gas told you everyone on this thread is unsaved but you.
Yes that about somes it up.
Sad Very Sad little man.
lol. if a person belongs to a cult, they are not Saved.period.

ellen white is one of those people that I have in mind, the devil was her buddy. and campbell is another person who didnt beleive in a"know so" Savation, so if you dont know or think that God saved you, then he didnt.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#422928 Feb 15, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Suggested reading...IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN..
THE HOLY BIBLE...
One does not need a Bible laced with denominational applications...
PERSONAL CONVICTIONS opinions conclusions of men.
I use a 26 Translation Bible and some translations change scriptures to where the meat..(the real spiritual food has be left out by carnal minded individuals)...
example.... the VULGATE.
why is it that cults wish for us to accept the opinions of another man when the Bible is clear as to how we are to lead our lives?

Location hidden

#422929 Feb 15, 2013
919 834
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 1:6
and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.
Rev 1:6 does not say: And hath made us kings and Priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#422930 Feb 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We know the Church has authority. See Christ's commission to the apostles.
I'm sure you know the chapter/verse.
The "main problem", if there is one, is that you continue to proclaim against evidence provided that the Catholic church does indeed have scriptural basis for its beliefs.
A straw man argument.
~~~

THE STRAW MAN IS... THE SCARE CROW OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH...

He is a man outstanding in his field...with no brains, no guts and is

bound to a stake and he cannot go any where...AND IS BLOWN TO AND FRO

BY THE WINDS AND DOCTRINE OF PAGANISM.

His favorite song is ..

I AINT GOT NO BODY!

__

THE TRUE BELIEVER..(THOSE THAT BE-ALIVE IN CHRIST...

ARE BORN AGAIN OF THE SPIRIT..

THEY HAVE MATURED TO BECOME SONS OF GOD,...NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS...

HAVE BEEN CIRCUMCISED IN THEIR HEARTS,

AND ARE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS

THEY ARE..-->

Eph 4:11 And he gave some,

--> apostles; and some,

prophets; and some,

evangelists; and some,

pastors and

teachers;

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Guest55

Sikeston, MO

#422931 Feb 15, 2013
I wonder if this is the possible reason for the pope's resignation. http://itccs.org/2013/02/14/pope-benedict-to-...

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#422932 Feb 15, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
919 834
<quoted text>
Rev 1:6 does not say: And hath made us kings and Priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Huh???
Mine says:
Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
What version are you using?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 778,355
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min mike 605,342
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Rider on the Storm 175,781
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min bacon hater 96,859
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min Pegasus 265,458
Scientific proof for God's existence 30 min Rick in Kansas 54
U.S. Government Snatching Homes...Civil Unrest.... 33 min fred 7
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 1 hr yon 4,897
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 4 hr risque 137
More from around the web