Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,439
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#422053 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to reaffirm Catholic belief that the Church was founded by Christ with Peter as it's head on Earth.
Coming over to our side, Ox?
Not really....it reaffirms...you have to change Scripture to believe your false belief....you change "church" which is a common noun, to a proper noun (Church)..

church: ekklesia, a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.

The Greek word for church does not show any denominations as part of its definition.....that's why you have to change Scripture to support your false belief......

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#422054 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The beliefs may be "unchucklical", but they are not "unbiblical".
Oh believe me Dan I know...the pope told you.

*Hard to imagine that a 3 month old who doesn't even know the sacrifice of Christ can actually start his/her salvation. You guys have some church I'll tell ya.

**Let me guess.."don't keep the children from coming to Me"...is that the one Dan?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422055 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are Y O U to J U D G E a man's credibility before he presents God's Word. J U D G E him by his words and the case he builds using God's Word. Or,...be sanctimonious.
I haven't been offered anything to judge, even if I wanted to.

Why would I read his work as authoritative?

I mean, you don't use him to do your taxes-you use someone who has credential in preparing tax forms. I'd assume that you'd at least vet him as much as your tax preparer, considering your immortal soul is at stake.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422056 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What Catholic has told you here that they do not beleieve in the authority of scripture?
None.
Catholics do NOT believe that ONLY the Bible informs their faith, but this does not render the Bible less than authoritative.
But it does however seem to allow you to amend teachings plainly stated in scripture. Therefore you and I are NOT working from the same moral standard or authority. Your authority is the mighty empire while mine is simply God's Word.

You and Clay have proven that to be true based upon the foundation of your arguments against my using scripture as a framework for mine. You are not bound by the scripture alone. right? Did you not JUST say that? YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!

Stop with the riddles already.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422057 Feb 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really....it reaffirms...you have to change Scripture to believe your false belief....you change "church" which is a common noun, to a proper noun (Church)..
church: ekklesia, a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.
The Greek word for church does not show any denominations as part of its definition.....that's why you have to change Scripture to support your false belief......
Common noun, proper noun. I employ the proper noun when discussing the Catholic Church.

Christ established one church.

We believe the Catholic Church is that church.
Hoss

Oklahoma City, OK

#422058 Feb 12, 2013
Yahweh Is not A god He is your heavenly father....

Man made him A god It is in every king james that has a concordance.But yet you do not understand this because you never reverenced Yahweh only A man made god.And he say's you will cause them to forget my name and the world has.

Because the laws were nailed to a so called cross we live in A sin sick world And it will only get worse.

We went from I love lucy where they could not even sleep in the same bed to homosexuality all over the television and even the government accepts this.A very sin sick world.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422059 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to reaffirm Catholic belief that the Church was founded by Christ with Peter as it's head on Earth.
Coming over to our side, Ox?
It was Peter's confession that was the ROCK. Not Peter.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422060 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh believe me Dan I know...the pope told you.
*Hard to imagine that a 3 month old who doesn't even know the sacrifice of Christ can actually start his/her salvation. You guys have some church I'll tell ya.
**Let me guess.."don't keep the children from coming to Me"...is that the one Dan?
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, chuck.

My burden (if I have one) is to disabuse you of your notions that Catholic belief and practice are "unbibilcal". I've done that repeatedly.

Time for you to sing from a different hymnal, chuck.

You can interpret scripture as you wish.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422061 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Peter's confession that was the ROCK. Not Peter.
Tell Oxbow.

It's his source, not mine.

Says "Peter", not "rock".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422062 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
But it does however seem to allow you to amend teachings plainly stated in scripture. Therefore you and I are NOT working from the same moral standard or authority. Your authority is the mighty empire while mine is simply God's Word.
You and Clay have proven that to be true based upon the foundation of your arguments against my using scripture as a framework for mine. You are not bound by the scripture alone. right? Did you not JUST say that? YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!
Stop with the riddles already.
What teachings have been amended by the Church?

Another straw man.

I can have both Scripture and the teachings of the Church and sacred tradition as the foundation of my faith. Christ made it so. He founded the Church to teach His message.

The only "riddle" presented here is why you would disregard Christ's church and her teachings in favor of a "scripture alone" theology that actually contradicts scripture itself.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422063 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Straw man.
I never denied the authority of Scripture.
Try again.
You cited someone to me whom you know nothing about, other than his having cast the Catholic Church in an unfavorable light?
Tsk, tsk.
When I speak about the authority of scripture you tell me this: "Catholics do NOT believe that ONLY the Bible informs their faith"

Where is the authority in scripture if it is not all I need?

What did God miss in scripture that I should be aware of?

Please answer those two questions instead of continuing to riddle around the subject.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#422064 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, chuck.
My burden (if I have one) is to disabuse you of your notions that Catholic belief and practice are "unbibilcal". I've done that repeatedly.
Time for you to sing from a different hymnal, chuck.
You can interpret scripture as you wish.
"don't stop the children from coming to Me"....

Sorry Dan...that was the only passage I could think of. It's usually the one most catholics use to support infant baptism.

Help me out...which one do you use to support infant baptism? Maybe there is an Apostle that baptized an infant. Just direct me to the book...thanks

*wait! is it "you and your whole household"...is that the one?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422066 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
When I speak about the authority of scripture you tell me this: "Catholics do NOT believe that ONLY the Bible informs their faith"
Where is the authority in scripture if it is not all I need?
What did God miss in scripture that I should be aware of?
Please answer those two questions instead of continuing to riddle around the subject.
Scripture is authoritative as it's the infallible Word of God.

Infallible scripture tells us that Christ established His Church on Earth to teach His message until the end of time. So, scripture tells us that the Church is necessary-Christ thought it of sufficient import to confer His authority unto it.

Thus, "scripture alone" is contradictory to scripture.

Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422067 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell Oxbow.
It's his source, not mine.
Says "Peter", not "rock".
The church was built on Peter's confession, not on Peter. Jesus is the cornerstone and all of the apostles are the foundation.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.asp...

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...

What was Peter's mother-in-law's name? Does the Catholic church have a record of her name in their files?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422068 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Dan...that was the only passage I could think of. It's usually the one most catholics use to support infant baptism.
Help me out...which one do you use to support infant baptism? Maybe there is an Apostle that baptized an infant. Just direct me to the book...thanks
Already done this, chuck.

Go fishing somehere else.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422069 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been offered anything to judge, even if I wanted to.
Why would I read his work as authoritative?
I mean, you don't use him to do your taxes-you use someone who has credential in preparing tax forms. I'd assume that you'd at least vet him as much as your tax preparer, considering your immortal soul is at stake.
I've already told you he doesn't wear a tall pointy hat or wear a costume. Therefore I don't expect you to think him credible.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422070 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it a tad hypocritcal for a "bible alone" Christian to snarkily spit out paraphrased verses of scripture to me, particularly when you've built an entire theology from Timothy 3:16 alone?

Pause and reflect, chuck.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422071 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The church was built on Peter's confession, not on Peter. Jesus is the cornerstone and all of the apostles are the foundation.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.asp...
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
What was Peter's mother-in-law's name? Does the Catholic church have a record of her name in their files?
Save your breath.

Take the matter up with Oxbow. He quoted the source that named Peter and referred to "him" later. Clearly not referring to a "rock", but the man.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422072 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already told you he doesn't wear a tall pointy hat or wear a costume. Therefore I don't expect you to think him credible.
So, you don't know a reason why anyone would consider him credible?

I can only ask so many times.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#422073 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it a tad hypocritcal for a "bible alone" Christian to snarkily spit out paraphrased verses of scripture to me, particularly when you've built an entire theology from Timothy 3:16 alone?
Pause and reflect, chuck.
I thought you already done this. Why do you keep coming back?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 min Toby 96,668
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Bongo 763,125
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min lisw 174,954
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Dr_Zorderz 263,306
Why do blacks name their children ridiculous na... (Sep '08) 10 min Richies Cool Man ... 213
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 29 min Classic 1,843
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 38 min Remnant of 144000 39,138
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr His Eminency dr S... 603,493
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 6 hr sahil dubai 132

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE