Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 595968 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#421903 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
One of us is in serious violation of the ten commandments.
If you're right, then I'm worshiping a different god or statues; idols; I'm bowing down before something I consider a god; Mary is being worshiped by me...
If I'm right, then you are falsely accusing me and a billion other Catholics and Orthodox of doing something we are not. You are steering people away from the Church by convincing them they worship false gods; depriving them of the Eucharist forever. You'd be bearing false witness.
Just so you know, I'm Catholic and I know who I worship. I will have no problem looking Christ in the eye someday. Will you?
Clay-

Rebuttal for these comments is simplicity itself.

Simply cite the online Catechism and ask the poster to locate where Catholics are instructed accord divine worship to any save for God.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421904 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen the height of those hats?
All of the mingling they do with the common people brings a tear to my eye.
The pope meets and sees many common people.

It IS heartwarming, I'll agree.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421905 Feb 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a new year, and as much as I love the gentle and brilliant Pope Benedict, I understand why he's ready to pass the keys, so we will have a new Holy Father. I think of the scene in Star Wars where Obi Wan is battling the dark lord Vader, glances over and sees Luke is going to escape in order to save the rebellion and decides his job is done. lol.
Anyway, I'm moving over to the Catholic Answers forum, just signed up today. Hope to see you there!
God Bless you.
Tony
~~~
QUESTION
Just how many fathers can one have?
I have only one
What do you Constantians do ...with the words of Jesus..
He named only one FATHER and He gave His location.
He said...
Mat_6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye:
==> Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
With all the (so called holy fathers) that you Constantians claim...which one is actually your dad?
Of whose seed are you?
The Bible says..
1Jn_3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Pe_1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
just how man corruptible men (Men that will decay in the grave) do you claim to be your fathers...
YOUR MOTHER WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAD MANIFOLD HUSBANDS...
FOR YOU TO HAVE AS MANY FATHERS AS YOU CLAIM...
Jesus said
Mat_23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
If you actually have all the Fathers that you claim...
Your mother must have committed adultery with manifold individuals.
This is what you post? To a person who says "God Bless You"?

Scripture coupled with a "your mama" swipe?

Bitter old fool.
Clay

United States

#421906 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly would it matter if the scripture I use, the Bible, doesn't carry credibility with you?
It depends how you read it. If you're reading it thru a 21st century lense then you got problems.

I'm sticking with the Church that established the books as Holy Scripture. Face it, you have no way of knowing those books in your Bible are valid. They do not come with the title "word of God".
Paul didn't start out his letter to Timothy "hello, this letter I'm writing is the word of God"

An Earthly authority determined that letter to be canonical and included it in the New Testament Books. This didn't happen until the 4 and 5th century.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#421907 Feb 12, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's a new year, and as much as I love the gentle and brilliant Pope Benedict, I understand why he's ready to pass the keys, so we will have a new Holy Father. I think of the scene in Star Wars where Obi Wan is battling the dark lord Vader, glances over and sees Luke is going to escape in order to save the rebellion and decides his job is done. lol.
Anyway, I'm moving over to the Catholic Answers forum, just signed up today. Hope to see you there!
God Bless you.
Tony
~~~
QUESTION
Just how many fathers can one have?
I have only one
What do you Constantians do ...with the words of Jesus..
He named only one FATHER and He gave His location.
He said...
==> Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
With all the (so called holy fathers) that you Constantians claim...which one is actually your dad?
Of whose seed are you?
The Bible says..
1Jn_3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Pe_1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
just how man corruptible men (Men that will decay in the grave) do you claim to be your fathers...
YOUR MOTHER WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAD MANIFOLD HUSBANDS...
FOR YOU TO HAVE AS MANY FATHERS AS YOU CLAIM...
Jesus said
Mat_23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
If you actually have all the Fathers that you claim...
Your mother must have committed adultery with manifold individuals.
~~~

==> Our -->Father<-- which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

-->FATHER<--- DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATTHEW 6:9

G3962
&#960;&#945;&#964; &#951;&#769;&#961;
pate&#772;r
pat-ayr'
Apparently a primary word; a “father”(literally or figuratively, near or more remote):- father, parent.

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for

--> I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. <--

2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2Co 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear/HEAR with him.

#421908 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bitter old fool.
~~~

The truth will stand when God judges mankind.

CALL ME WHAT YOU WILL ...IT DOES NOT OFFEND ME...

I AM WHOM GOD SAYS I AM...and you carry no weight with Him.

~~~~~~

Mat_5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

~~~

HOW MANY FATHERS DO YOU HAVE?
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#421909 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible lays out auricular confession and also lays out succession of ministerial authority.

I understand the importance of confession before men of Jesus Christ being the Son of God, and confessing our sins to one another, but maybe you can enlighten me about auricular confession.

While at it, the scriptural authority for Papal Infallibility, infant baptism, baptism by sprinkling, instrumental music for public worship would be helpful as well.

See, I believe the apostasy led TO all of these things FROM the church of Christ.

Paul warned "in latter times some will depart from the faith." A Catholic definition of what a 'departure from the faith' might look like, if indeed the Catholic Church itself is not a departure from the faith would also be helpful.

I'm also curious as to whether men like John Wycliffe are held to a high stature in the history of the Catholic church? Was Martin Luther? was John Calvin? These men among others were attempting to reform the Apostate church. Are they esteemed in high regard or not?

While they all differed sharply on matters of faith and doctrine, they were united in what I think is a noble idea of reformation. Unfortunately, this is how so many denominations were born. Therefore another question comes to mind; are those denominations the fault of these men or the fault of the Apostate church?
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#421910 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends how you read it. If you're reading it thru a 21st century lense then you got problems.
I'm sticking with the Church that established the books as Holy Scripture. Face it, you have no way of knowing those books in your Bible are valid. They do not come with the title "word of God".
Paul didn't start out his letter to Timothy "hello, this letter I'm writing is the word of God"
An Earthly authority determined that letter to be canonical and included it in the New Testament Books. This didn't happen until the 4 and 5th century.
Surely God couldn't have worked through men, His creation, to place His will before them in a manner his creation could understand.

Its not like he hadn't done it before with the Old Testament writings obviously being used by the people in the NT.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421911 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the importance of confession before men of Jesus Christ being the Son of God, and confessing our sins to one another, but maybe you can enlighten me about auricular confession.
While at it, the scriptural authority for Papal Infallibility, infant baptism, baptism by sprinkling, instrumental music for public worship would be helpful as well.
See, I believe the apostasy led TO all of these things FROM the church of Christ.
Paul warned "in latter times some will depart from the faith." A Catholic definition of what a 'departure from the faith' might look like, if indeed the Catholic Church itself is not a departure from the faith would also be helpful.
I'm also curious as to whether men like John Wycliffe are held to a high stature in the history of the Catholic church? Was Martin Luther? was John Calvin? These men among others were attempting to reform the Apostate church. Are they esteemed in high regard or not?
While they all differed sharply on matters of faith and doctrine, they were united in what I think is a noble idea of reformation. Unfortunately, this is how so many denominations were born. Therefore another question comes to mind; are those denominations the fault of these men or the fault of the Apostate church?
That was sort of a shotgun blast. Can you get me like one or two questions at a time?

Auricular confession simply means that which can be heard, so I think we understand each other here.

Again, if we can focus on one or two questions, we can dialogue a bit more effectively than playing "52 pickup" with the 20 or so things you mentioned.

What's first?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#421912 Feb 12, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
The truth will stand when God judges mankind.
CALL ME WHAT YOU WILL ...IT DOES NOT OFFEND ME...
I AM WHOM GOD SAYS I AM...and you carry no weight with Him.
~~~~~~
Mat_5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
~~~
HOW MANY FATHERS DO YOU HAVE?
You should be offended by your own post.

Incredibly mean spirited.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#421913 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a corroborating source?
Sipe eats off of criticizing the Church.
Click on that website I posted. Click on OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS. or CANON LAWS read them. They each specifically pertain to abuse. You can GOOGLE each of them using the word abuse and see what comes up.

Most of their contents are not in english but one example dated .....1568 Pope Pius V abuse......GOOGLE IT...its the only time in the churches past history where a pope was actually trying to get rid of abusive clergy.

http://patrickjwall.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/...

Richard Sipe Father Tom Doyle and Patrick Wall wrote a book a few years back explaining all the papal documents and canon laws of the church that particularily pertain to clergy abuse.

I am not dumping on the church but everyone should be aware.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#421914 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The pope meets and sees many common people.
It IS heartwarming, I'll agree.
Its too bad we live in a world where he feels the need to be behind bulletproof glass.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421915 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely God couldn't have worked through men, His creation, to place His will before them in a manner his creation could understand.
Its not like he hadn't done it before with the Old Testament writings obviously being used by the people in the NT.
Did you mean to say

..."God could have..." ?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421916 Feb 12, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Click on that website I posted. Click on OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS. or CANON LAWS read them. They each specifically pertain to abuse. You can GOOGLE each of them using the word abuse and see what comes up.
Most of their contents are not in english but one example dated .....1568 Pope Pius V abuse......GOOGLE IT...its the only time in the churches past history where a pope was actually trying to get rid of abusive clergy.
http://patrickjwall.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/...
Richard Sipe Father Tom Doyle and Patrick Wall wrote a book a few years back explaining all the papal documents and canon laws of the church that particularily pertain to clergy abuse.
I am not dumping on the church but everyone should be aware.
I'm sorry-I clicked on your link and don't see any official documents cited nor linked.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421917 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Its too bad we live in a world where he feels the need to be behind bulletproof glass.
Very sad.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#421918 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
That was sort of a shotgun blast. Can you get me like one or two questions at a time?
Auricular confession simply means that which can be heard, so I think we understand each other here.
Again, if we can focus on one or two questions, we can dialogue a bit more effectively than playing "52 pickup" with the 20 or so things you mentioned.
What's first?
I like the last question. Are denominations the fault of men like those I've mentioned or the fault of the Apostate church?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#421919 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the last question. Are denominations the fault of men like those I've mentioned or the fault of the Apostate church?
It's predicated on the presumption that the Church is/was, in fact, Apostate.

Who declared it such?
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#421920 Feb 12, 2013
Seems the non-believers here, believe only what the tune is that they dance to. They seem to believe in only what they pick and choose to believe and not the Holy Spirit.

All those made up churches with their pastors seem to have no leadership of their church. They just preach and preach what they want to preach and what they seem to believe in at the time.

Can not believe people actually follow these people. Yet call a well established and well studied religion hog wash.???

Trust in God.

#421921 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bitter old fool.

~~~

You attack with the sting of a scorpion...because of your ignorance of the word of God..

Jesus

said..

Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith

(Heb_12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.)

WHY DO YOU AND YOUR CO-HARTS IGNORE HIM AND ATTEMPT TO ESTABLISH YOUR OWN GOSPEL...

Rom_1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

EVIDENTLY YOU ARE ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL SINCE YOU DO NOT ABIDE IN IT.

JESUS SAID...

Joh_15:7 If ye abide in me, and

-->my words abide in you,,<--- ye shall ask what ye

will, and it shall be done unto you.
Clay

United States

#421922 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see where Christ instructed such a set of books. If you are going to base all of Christianity on that, you must provide scripture to validate it.

This is where all of Protestantism and sola scripture comes crumbling down. This is why there are 42,000 non catholic Christians sects teaching different. None of you have the authority to determine the faith yourself.... Especially to instruct on the faith!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 272,064
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 854,020
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 9 min WasteWater 6,116
The Christian Atheist debate 11 min Lbj 782
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 13 min WasteWater 5,817
dirty gay skype 27 min hrny46 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 33 min RiccardoFire 40,689
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 41 min RiccardoFire 100,732
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 57 min Legendary Karma 444,172
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Qu_innocence 612,600
More from around the web