Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
406,001 - 406,020 of 536,889 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church of Christ is a cult in every way imaginable. Its not the real "Church of Christ".
They have a catchy name that seems to imply something, but its just not factual.
Christ started a Church that referred to themselves as Catholic from AT LEAST as early as 110 AD
Oh Jesus named you alright, He spoke very clearly about the Roman Catholic Church , the same pagan church that murdered all the apostles except John and crucified Christ.
The same Catholic Church that down through history, murdered and rapes and louted, using His Holy name.
You can read all about your church in revelations starting with Chapter 17.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
scripture alone is made up by a couple dudes- 1,600 after Christ. If you went back in time and mentioned sola scriptura to the Apostles, you'd get a long bank stare. Jesus established a Church not a set of Books. You can not show from scripture, that Jesus taught scripture alone. You can't show where any of The Apostles taught Scripture alone. So why do people believe this?
Btw, please don't ever think we don't acknowledge your relationship with Jesus Christ in its own right. I know so many righteous non Catholics...
So God would not be capable of leaving His inspired Word with us once and for all in a medium that any person could use to know how to follow God's will?

We will just have to agree to disagree. I cannot imagine God leaving us the Bible if it were essentially worthless in meaning and if it was something ever-changing depending upon the man-made framework of the Catholic Church.

I'm curious, if you are correct in your thoughts about the Bible, how will we be able to know who the false teachers are? The NT warns us of false teachers! How will I be able to recognize them if the scripture that warns me of them is not a reliable basis for recognizing them?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't intend to imply that you needed it. Those people in the first century did need it though. If they were following the Law of Moses and thought they were doing the correct things in the eyes of God, they needed a powerful message to show them otherwise. God provided a powerful message to them through the things His early disciples could perform.
I do agree with you here Saban,:)
Its been wonderful debating with you on these issues.
Saban. I like you very much.
Sometimes I get a little carried away, with posting. LOL
I love the Lord Saban, I believe God speaks to us through the Holy Scriptures, sometimes He lays things on our heart people to pray for, or issues we are dealing with.
I don't belong to a denomination, like the catholic's like to say there is 42,000 of them. If I belonged to one of them are any of them right, in my opinion no .
I belong to Christ, completing sold out to Him.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
scripture alone is made up by a couple dudes- 1,600 after Christ. If you went back in time and mentioned sola scriptura to the Apostles, you'd get a long bank stare. Jesus established a Church not a set of Books. You can not show from scripture, that Jesus taught scripture alone. You can't show where any of The Apostles taught Scripture alone. So why do people believe this?
Btw, please don't ever think we don't acknowledge your relationship with Jesus Christ in its own right. I know so many righteous non Catholics...
wrong, the bereans were considered more noble because they searched the Scriptures daily to see whether or not Paul was telling them the truth.

How else is one to know?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. So we agree he was saved by God's grace just as we are. What would've happened if Noah had only relied on God's grace and he had not followed through with the commands he had been given. In short, was there something he had to do in order to accept the grace God offered?
"We are witnesses of these things and so is the Holy Spirit, who is given by God to those who obey him."
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are witnesses of these things and so is the Holy Spirit, who is given by God to those who obey him."
Marge, was there something essential for Noah to do in order to accept the grace God gave him?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge, was there something essential for Noah to do in order to accept the grace God gave him?
Obedience!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
So God would not be capable of leaving His inspired Word with us once and for all in a medium that any person could use to know how to follow God's will?
We will just have to agree to disagree. I cannot imagine God leaving us the Bible if it were essentially worthless in meaning and if it was something ever-changing depending upon the man-made framework of the Catholic Church.
I'm curious, if you are correct in your thoughts about the Bible, how will we be able to know who the false teachers are? The NT warns us of false teachers! How will I be able to recognize them if the scripture that warns me of them is not a reliable basis for recognizing them?
"test the spirits against the Word of God"
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! You actually said "By following the scripture alone, you are worshiping in a manner that is unscriptural. If you teach that everything about Christianity should be found in the Bible, that would be unscriptural"
Which scriptures say that following scripture alone is not sufficient? If there is such a scripture, why then should I believe it if you are correct in your teaching above? Why should I believe anything in the Bible if what you just said is true?
It is painfully obvious that the NT scriptures were not written for many years. Teachings were done with signs and miracles to confirm that the words spoken were from God. Yet, once the Word of God was complete those "childish things" were put away.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
They cease to exist...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I still haven't been shown where my submission to baptism was a work. Why wouldn't faith be a "work"? You have to do something to have faith (hear and believe). To learn Covey's 7 Habits I would have to read and study his work - is this not work for me?
Romans 6:3-4 does a great job of showing what happens during baptism. We die to sin and we're buried. Our old life is in the grave. Just as Christ was raised from the grave leaving our sins behind, we are raised to walk in newness of life as new creatures, members of his body, "in" him, and members of His Kingdom or church.
Was Noah saved by Grace?
Was Noah saved by faith alone?
Was Noah saved by works?
God had given the Children of Israel the victory, but they had to have obedient faith to attain it. They had to go through the water (Red Sea-which is a great symbol of Jesus blood and baptism that would come later)
We have no issue with Verses like John 3:16. They're true! If we believe we will be saved - because if we believe we will (as Noah did) do as we're instructed to do.(Acts 2:38).
We are not justified by faith alone.
Baptism is a work....not of man...but the working of God....

Colossians 2:12

12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the [working of God,] who raised him from the dead.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is not worthless meaning to Catholics. I hope you don't think that. Its Sacred Scripture. And along with Sacred Traditions, they flow together in perfect harmony.
One of The 42,000 Christian sects would be the original. Therefore they'd have the authority. I'm sorry, but I just can't see how the current group that calls itself the "Church of Christ" could be the original. Who are their Apostolic fathers? Where are their other writings outside of The Bible? Who were some of their early leaders? The Catholic Church can show its the same body from the first century. Now, whether or not this group became corrupted under Constantine is a hot debate. But that would not be Biblical, because Christ promised the gates of hell wouldn't prevail against His Church. Therefore, a Roman Emperor surely would not either.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

John 8:30 shows us another example of belief in Jesus by people that do not seem to be saved, if you are to believe John 8:44. Faith alone must not have been enough to save them.

James 2 is another example. We read "faith without works is dead" and later in verse 19 we are told that "even the demons believe - and tremble"

If the demons believe in God, and if Satan believes in God, is the belief they have sufficient to save them?

Is faith by itself enough to save?

Eph. 2:8 and Rom. 3:22 are often quoted, yet there is an obvious difference in the NT between dead faith and obedient faith. When faith obeys God it becomes living faith.

Heb. 11 is full of examples of living faith.

What is the first step for our faith to become a living faith? Read Acts 2:40-41; 8:12, 35-36, 16: 14-15, 32-33.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Have I ever said we could save ourselves through baptism? That is a strawman argument. We're it not for God's grace no one could be saved - we agree on that point.
Was Noah saved by God's grace?
Salvation = God's part
Man's part
alan

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The demons knew Jesus was Lord, right? We're they saved?
Only through the blood of Christ does my baptism have any meaning - I'll agree with you there.
Was Noah saved by water? Was Noah saved by the ark?
Was Noah saved by God's grace? Yes!
Did Noah believe in God? Yes. Was that enough to save him, or did he have to have an obedient faith?
Are we saved by God's grace? Yes!
But we, like Noah must have an obedient faith. Why is there so much attention given to baptism in scripture?
You can regugitate all the verses you want........brainwashed cult BS!!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Have I ever said we could save ourselves through baptism? That is a strawman argument. We're it not for God's grace no one could be saved - we agree on that point.
Was Noah saved by God's grace?
Noah worked according to what God's plan was in order to be saved.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
EVEN DUCT TAPE CANT FIX STUPID(catholicism),
all it can do is muffle the sound
What would jesus do or say? I love watching 'christians' fighting each other!

god loves me best!

No, god loves me best!

You're going to Hell!

No way! You're going to Hell!

Didn't jesus say,'Love thy neighbor"?

You all sound like you listen to your jesus! LOL!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Because water baptism is a picture of Holy Spirit Baptism, a teaching tool about a new birth in Christ Jesus, by getting water baptized Paul was showing he believed in and received Jesus as his Saviour.
Marge.....

I have tried to explain to you several times....

Holy Spirit baptism that the APOSTLES received WAS NOT/IS NOT in water......it is BAPTISM of the HOLY SPIRIT w/fire (POWER)......

We DO NOT/CANNOT receive this baptism today.....
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is not worthless meaning to Catholics. I hope you don't think that. Its Sacred Scripture. And along with Sacred Traditions, they flow together in perfect harmony.
One of The 42,000 Christian sects would be the original. Therefore they'd have the authority. I'm sorry, but I just can't see how the current group that calls itself the "Church of Christ" could be the original. Who are their Apostolic fathers? Where are their other writings outside of The Bible? Who were some of their early leaders? The Catholic Church can show its the same body from the first century. Now, whether or not this group became corrupted under Constantine is a hot debate. But that would not be Biblical, because Christ promised the gates of hell wouldn't prevail against His Church. Therefore, a Roman Emperor surely would not either.
I think we will all agree the early leaders of the church were the Apostles. Jesus is the cornerstone, they are the foundation. The book 'Traces of the Kingdom' does a nice job of highlighting Christ's church throughout history. I'm not saying that the Catholic Church doesn't have a direct line back to the original church Christ established, but it doesn't operate, it isn't governed, nor does it worship in the same manner the church did in the 1st Century.

The people in the church of Christ are the same as the people in any church - imperfect. And, if the message conflicts with the scriptures, I don't believe it is the church of Christ. Of the seven churches spoken of in Revelation, many had issues and only two were shown as examples of how the church should be.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Truth,

I haven't been here long, but so far I am in agreement with all of your replies to my posts.

Thanks for the additional comments.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

MICHAEL wrote:
Women catholic priests website.
http://romancatholicwomenpriests.org/ordained...
BIG CHANGES are coming....the followers will demand it.
Prodigal son rebellious and defiant (so-called Catholics) can "demand" all they want! Fact is that NO ONE is listening to their
beligerent "demands" of "secular humanism" Christianity!
Big changes in the Catholic Church will NEVER COME from "emancipated liberal nuns" or "politically correct (rebel Catholics). If they "don't like" the TRUE biblical, historical and doctrinal TRUE teachings of the Catholic Church, NO ONE is begging them to say!! They can "go down the block" to one of the nearest 42,000+ contracting and inconsistent Protestant Churches and they will (pacify, appease and tell them (exactly)"what they want to hear'!--More chaos, more confusion, more secular humanism and more conflicting "personal opinion" bible only mis-interpretating "hodge-podge" of Sacred Scripture. The fact is Michael---you can too can join them, and then you can "continue" your attacking and ripping on what they teach. Good luck!! Don't let the door hit you on your "rear end" as you leave!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••