Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650847 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Schreiber, Canada

#421001 Feb 8, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I recognize I'm setting myself up for a scripture bludgeoning from you.
BUT, you asked what my opinion is on the word 'knew' in Genesis.
To me, it doesn't have to mean automatic sexual relations. In fact, it doesn't have to mean sexual relations at all.
It COULD be implied as such and I wouldn't blame anyone if they thought that.
With Mary, it wasn't taught that she bore any child, but Jesus.... Regardless of how the Evangelicals have decided about words in scripture.
It was never taught Chuck.
Your church never told you; you mean .
The Bible says that Mary had other Child.

" HEY READ ALL ABOUT IT IN THE BIBLE
THE BIBLE SAYS MARY HAD OTHER CHILDREN."
LTM

Schreiber, Canada

#421002 Feb 8, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>He was told he would be instucred on what to do are you that dense.
WHAT DOES THIS WORD MEAN instucred ???
concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#421003 Feb 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
This verse doesn't say who you're confessing to. But St. James tells us:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man. And the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man avails much.
So can you give a verse that says we are to confess our Sins to any priest? What you have quoted from the word of God contradicts RCC teachings apparently that went over your head. So you know a Priest is on who gave the sacrificial offerings in the temple, they are know more the curtain has been torn the temple demolished and the ultimate final Priest Jesus the Christ gave the final sacrifice every needed and stated as such on the CROSS and said.

IT IS FINISHED.

The old covenant is finished and over as well as animal sacrifices thus priests with them as well.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#421004 Feb 8, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know exactly what I meant about the faith of your parents and you know it. We've talked about it many times.
telling a catholic they glorify Mary is the ame as telling an alcoholic they have a drinking problem. Both will deny it.
you still play games Tony...goodbye
Your lie was the accusation that we glorify Mary over Jesus. You lack the Christian humility of admitting your sin of lying. If you prefer to follow an organization that feeds you lies about the faith of Catholic Christians, go for it. I will pray for you.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#421005 Feb 8, 2013
concerned in Eygpt wrote:
<quoted text>
So can you give a verse that says we are to confess our Sins to any priest? What you have quoted from the word of God contradicts RCC teachings apparently that went over your head. So you know a Priest is on who gave the sacrificial offerings in the temple, they are know more the curtain has been torn the temple demolished and the ultimate final Priest Jesus the Christ gave the final sacrifice every needed and stated as such on the CROSS and said.
IT IS FINISHED.
The old covenant is finished and over as well as animal sacrifices thus priests with them as well.
Are you no longer in Brazil?

James 5:16 - James clearly teaches us that we must “confess our sins to one another,” not just privately to God. James 5:16 must be read in the context of James 5:14-15, which is referring to the healing power (both physical and spiritual) of the priests of the Church. Hence, when James says “therefore” in verse 16, he must be referring to the men he was writing about in verses 14 and 15 – these men are the ordained priests of the Church, to whom we must confess our sins.

Poplar Bluff, MO

#421006 Feb 8, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT DOES THIS WORD MEAN instucred ???
You know very well it was a type o for instructed. So not you are going to be a BUTT to.......Go Figure.......can't wait til he unloads on you again. I promise one tghing I will not be there for you.

Poplar Bluff, MO

#421007 Feb 8, 2013
Yes Type O's again I have a dog in my lap so when he moves wanting attention I move with him.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#421008 Feb 8, 2013
915 886 762 734 886
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
This is an example of what you are writing to me..., see if it makes sense?
"I know what your religion teaches you, and I fully agree with them..
And so this does not apply to you: The grass is green."
(Can't you see what you are writing makes no sense?)
You are making two statements that are not connected unless in some vague sense in your mind, which I am not going to try and understand, as at this time, your posts make little sense to me.
You are grasping at straws...I never said one word about green grass!!!!
marge

Leesburg, GA

#421009 Feb 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lie was the accusation that we glorify Mary over Jesus. You lack the Christian humility of admitting your sin of lying. If you prefer to follow an organization that feeds you lies about the faith of Catholic Christians, go for it. I will pray for you.
Three days of prayers and praises to Mary putting her on a pedistal and none for Jesus.

So yes it looks like you glorify Mary over Jesus.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#421010 Feb 8, 2013
919 878
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
ein wenig Geschmack Ihrer eigenen Medizin.
AND:

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

There is no doubbt that Scripture teaches, that at some point in time, Joseph "took unto him his wife". Scripture teaches Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Christ. So, that leaves only one possiblity for the question "When did he take unto him his wife".......after the birth of Christ....when else?????!!!!!

So, per Scripture, the "Mary ever virgin" is a myth......pure and simple...
MICHAEL

Canada

#421011 Feb 8, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I/We as Catholics have "already found the GENUINE, AUTHENTICATED TRUTH" in Jesus Christ (historically and biblical PROVEN) One (and only) True Apostolic Catholic. On the other hand-----"You have chose to (REJECT) that (same) Truth".
Historically he says!(lol) you are reading from copies of copies of copies. If it was bibilically proven it wouldn't be called just a belief now would it?(lol) It would be called a FACT but its not.

Something is terribly wrong HOJO!

You don't know the actual birthday of Jesus. Is he not that important? You don't know what he looked like. HUH! don't know his occupation,(thats not good) the most important dates the death and resurrection and nobody knows those dates. UNBELIEVABLE!

This man is suppose to be the greatest man that ever lived and no one even knows what he did for a living to support himself?

sounds BUSTED! to me........and that is why it is called a belief, like all the other 42,000 christian beliefs, and not the story of FACTS.

Try again!

concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#421012 Feb 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you no longer in Brazil?
James 5:16 - James clearly teaches us that we must “confess our sins to one another,” not just privately to God. James 5:16 must be read in the context of James 5:14-15, which is referring to the healing power (both physical and spiritual) of the priests of the Church. Hence, when James says “therefore” in verse 16, he must be referring to the men he was writing about in verses 14 and 15 – these men are the ordained priests of the Church, to whom we must confess our sins.
Still in Brazil and Canada working offshore Egypt for the past year.

NIV

Jas 5:13 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Jas 5:14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.
Jas 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.
Jas 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

New American Standard

JAS 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises.
JAS 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
JAS 5:15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
JAS 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
JAS 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
JAS 5:18 Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.
JAS 5:19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
JAS 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Again where does it say Priests, it does not, its not implied as you say priests as it is not mentioned in fact ELDERS is used and according to even the RCC elders are different than priests so again I ask where in the NEW testament is taught we are to confess sins to a Priest in light of the fact Jesus fulfilled the need for a Priest by being the ultimate and last sacrifice every need.

Again I do not promote my words but those of Jesus the Christ

"It is Finished" Jesus 33AD I take him at his word not the RCC who has corrupted his word.

BTW James addresses his book to "To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:" that is his audience laymen

Also if they you right then by James words "
Jas 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. "

Pray for each other he says then the one confess to the Priest could do the same for the Priest forgive his sins and pray for healing.

Your assertion has caught you in trap either way if your right or wrong.

But the context is Elders not Priests.

Priests are a RCC invention they did not exist in the early church that happened hundreds of years later when false teachers entered what is today called the RCC.

Truth Matters
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#421013 Feb 8, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Three days of prayers and praises to Mary putting her on a pedistal and none for Jesus.
So yes it looks like you glorify Mary over Jesus.
It's spelled "pedestal".

I'm sure Jesus appreciates me spending 3 days defending His mother against lies and degradation.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#421014 Feb 8, 2013
concerned in Eygpt wrote:
<quoted text>
Still in Brazil and Canada working offshore Egypt for the past year.
NIV
Jas 5:13 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Jas 5:14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.
Jas 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.
Jas 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
New American Standard
JAS 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises.
JAS 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
JAS 5:15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
JAS 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
JAS 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
JAS 5:18 Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.
JAS 5:19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
JAS 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
Again where does it say Priests, it does not, its not implied as you say priests as it is not mentioned in fact ELDERS is used and according to even the RCC elders are different than priests so again I ask where in the NEW testament is taught we are to confess sins to a Priest in light of the fact Jesus fulfilled the need for a Priest by being the ultimate and last sacrifice every need.
Again I do not promote my words but those of Jesus the Christ
"It is Finished" Jesus 33AD I take him at his word not the RCC who has corrupted his word.
BTW James addresses his book to "To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:" that is his audience laymen
Also if they you right then by James words "
Jas 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. "
Pray for each other he says then the one confess to the Priest could do the same for the Priest forgive his sins and pray for healing.
Your assertion has caught you in trap either way if your right or wrong.
But the context is Elders not Priests.
Priests are a RCC invention they did not exist in the early church that happened hundreds of years later when false teachers entered what is today called the RCC.
Truth Matters
14 Infirmatur quis in vobis? inducat presbyteros ecclesiæ, et orent super eum, ungentes eum oleo in nomine Domini:

14 Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Thanks.
concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#421015 Feb 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
14 Infirmatur quis in vobis? inducat presbyteros ecclesiæ, et orent super eum, ungentes eum oleo in nomine Domini:
14 Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
Thanks.
No Greek lexicons or other scholarly sources suggest that "presbyteros" means "priest" instead of "elder". The Greek word is equivalent to the Hebrew zaqen, which means "elder", and not priest. You can see the zaqenim described in Exodus 18:21-22 using some of the same equivalent Hebrew terms as Paul uses in the GK of 1&2 Timothy and Titus. Note that the zaqenim are not priests (i.e., from the tribe of Levi) but are rather men of distinctive maturity that qualifies them for ministerial roles among the people.
Therefore the NT equivalent of the zaqenim cannot be the Levitical priests. The Greek "presbyteros" (literally, the comparative of the Greek word for "old" and therefore translated as "one who is older") thus describes the character qualities of the "episkopos". The term "elder" would therefore appear to describe the character, while the term "overseer" (for that is the literal rendering of "episkopos") connotes the job description.

From ISV commentary I could give more citations to show you are wrong but your thanks is enough because truth matters.

If you are actually are a scholar of the Greek and Hebrew you will see the Hebrew word for Elder is translated to Prebyteros in the Greek and that the word for Priest is different in the Hebrew but I won't do all the work for you best you study it for yourself instead of being spoon feed for Catholic answers.

BTW Paul claims we are all in the Priesthood of Believers another monkey wrench in your Faith in a man made institution that you never really bothered to test as the Word of God states a Spiritual Man tests all things in light of scripture as did the Breanens

Truth Matters
Clay

Garden City, MI

#421016 Feb 8, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>ther is none so blind as one who refuses to see. that fits clay.
Oh no Preston. I don't refuse to see. You do.
I really want to see where you're coming from. But I can't. I would have no problem leaving the Catholic Church if they were not who they said they were.
The fact is, your premise (sola scripture) is faulty to begin with. Therefore, every thing you preach about Christianity is gonna be based on something thats false. That's not saying you won't hit on some truths here and there.

And by the way Preston, I don't believe you looked at Jesus Christ -visually in person. And I don't believe your grandpa talked with the Apostle Paul in Heaven. But I believe you believe it did happen. You may have convinced yourself... I dunno.

If the Apostle Paul told your Grandpa anything, it would be to join the Church Paul belonged too. It sure the heck wouldn't be to translate his letters word for word and determine a new Christianity that he himself never preached.
Paul believe and taught the Eucharist Preston.(just one example)

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#421017 Feb 8, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for taking the time to answer my question,I asked for three,and you acknowledged that.I knew that the Real Presence would be first on the list,as that of course is very sacred and holy to you,and you believe that protestants no doubt are missing out on its magnitude and benefits to the soul.
I believe that whenever anyone just believes something is a symbol they can easily miss out on the spiritual benefits of what they legalistically adhere to as doctrine. Many prots especially reformer who are not liberal but conservative are legalistic in their views toward Communion and so on. That could be said of vast numbers of Baptists and evangelicals as well.
I have seen legalism in the realm of the practise of baptism and Communion,as a matter of fact it is painfully present throughout Christianity.
Although I cannot personally embrace transubstantiation,I can only fathom in my spirit the spiritual presence of Christ in the many things we practice and do in faith,communion included.Just as baptism is the holy rite for our being buried in Christ,as we go down into the water,communion is the spiritual presence of HIM who died on the Cross for our sins.It is spiritual essence of Christ in those sacred rites of baptism and communion,that is what nourishes our souls.
Father Robert,it is the sentiment of many Christians who enter the arena of doctinal warfare to automatically embrace a legalistic view of what they support of their own conscience.If they spend time really looking at what they believe and why,they have to either reject the spiritual significance of what they believe or totally accept it. In believing that communion is a spiritual presence of Christ to my soul,I can more relate in a way to the transubstantiation of your faith,than the legalistic view of many for argument sake refute the REAL Presence. I have to go but will continue on your post.Bare with me.And thank you for your time.
Pad good friend

In short, I think you are describing one's sense of sacredness when they approach God, which is holiness....

Our own sense is often covered over, with concerns of living( and dealing with one's own shortcomings), and this is like a veil, keeping us from the perfect holiness which we are called to live, in our walk with Jesus.

The distinction between the symbolic communion, and the Real Presence is between reasoned intellect and faith.(As you write it is often approached in a legalistic fashion.) But also there must be reasoned faith, instead of the reasoned intellectual legalistic fashion.

One can deny a belief in God's existence, and be called an atheist. But that does not negate the Truth, and the faith in the Truth. Those that don't believe in God's existence, and God's Real Presence in the Eucharist, are of similar mind philosophically speaking.

Communion with God, abiding in God, having one's mind transformed by God begins a meaningful dialogue, and the spiritual journey with Jesus.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#421018 Feb 8, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church never told you; you mean .
The Bible says that Mary had other Child.
" HEY READ ALL ABOUT IT IN THE BIBLE
THE BIBLE SAYS MARY HAD OTHER CHILDREN."
LTM, a few yrs before Christianity was legalized by Constantine, Christians were heavily persecuted. The Empire gathered many many sacred Christian writings and burned them. Who knows what was in those writings.
Its a good bet, the CC would have added 50 books to the Bible, instead of 27. Perhaps there was a letter or two from Paul describing in detail, Mary being Assumed into Heaven. Maybe he witnessed it himself.
Some writings that did survive the brutal Roman persecution were put into a scriptural canon by the Catholic Church in 400 AD. That's the New Testament you have today. Its been given a different meaning by you guys. But to the Catholic and Orthodox, it is the same meaning it was when they compiled the books.
concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#421019 Feb 8, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Pad good friend
In short, I think you are describing one's sense of sacredness when they approach God, which is holiness....
Our own sense is often covered over, with concerns of living( and dealing with one's own shortcomings), and this is like a veil, keeping us from the perfect holiness which we are called to live, in our walk with Jesus.
The distinction between the symbolic communion, and the Real Presence is between reasoned intellect and faith.(As you write it is often approached in a legalistic fashion.) But also there must be reasoned faith, instead of the reasoned intellectual legalistic fashion
One can deny a belief in God's existence, and be called an atheist. But that does not negate the Truth, and the faith in the Truth. Those that don't believe in God's existence, and God's Real Presence in the Eucharist, are of similar mind philosophically speaking.
Communion with God, abiding in God, having one's mind transformed by God begins a meaningful dialogue, and the spiritual journey with Jesus.
Well look who's here LA Robert F

So what's your flavor for 2013??

Is your Faith Christian, or RC or is Mormon or is Atheist for 2013?

I have been away from the forums for a while took a break so where is your Faith these Days Robert.

Still on the high Seas?? LOL Irony included as I am currently at sea.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#421020 Feb 8, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM, a few yrs before Christianity was legalized by Constantine, Christians were heavily persecuted. The Empire gathered many many sacred Christian writings and burned them. Who knows what was in those writings.
Its a good bet, the CC would have added 50 books to the Bible, instead of 27. Perhaps there was a letter or two from Paul describing in detail, Mary being Assumed into Heaven. Maybe he witnessed it himself.
Some writings that did survive the brutal Roman persecution were put into a scriptural canon by the Catholic Church in 400 AD. That's the New Testament you have today. Its been given a different meaning by you guys. But to the Catholic and Orthodox, it is the same meaning it was when they compiled the books.
Clay, we believe the sixty-six books of the Holy Bible to be the Word of God.

Nothing you could ever say will change that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sex with demon possessed doll (Jun '15) 3 min Noname 69
Is Satan behind mixed-race relationships? 6 min Noname 8
Why are white people so insecure ? (Feb '10) 7 min UnderstandPeople 217
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 16 min River Tam 56,468
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 37 min Catcher1 971,899
I want a sugar daddy! (May '12) 50 min danny london 118
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 182,994
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,105
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Nacked Truth 45,015
More from around the web