Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599894 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420703 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Martial realtions was nevr ever said by me.
My claim was Mary had sexual relations with Joseph after Jesus was born.
Catholic doctrine says she was a virgin her whole life...no?
I use the term "marital relations" because I prefer not to use the term "sexual realtions" in reference to the Blessed Mother out of respect for her. You obviously have no problem with it.

Your claim can only be made because of the word "until" which is the word in dispute. Your ancestors AND the Catholic Church says it meant something different than what you modern day protestants think it means.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420704 Feb 7, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL
Being in Gnostic darkness(chaos), you can't tell sin from righteousness.
God must punish sinners, and wickedness in order to maintain order....
"It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.(Deuteronomy 9:5)"
Accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior, and your sin will be paid for....
Robert F.

You claim to be one of the saved, blessed or otherwise enlightened individuals who stumbled upon the one true belief system, and telling everyone else they remain in the dark. Your belief is overtly intolerant of outsiders. This helps you discourage member sfrom abandoning the religion.

The main idea of your belief is to reward loyalty to those that follow and punish those who have freedom of thought.

When you're taught to distrust others outside your belief, fear gets a foothold in your conscience and you become much easier for them to control you. You're fellow mind slaves will help keep you in line, and keep rewarding you as long as you remain obedient, but if for some reason out of your control that you fall, they will not be there to pick you back up. You will be SHUNNED.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420706 Feb 7, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to this....
http://bible.org/question/what-significance-%...
If the church never said Mary was an ever virgin, you would then say the bible is right and Mary had 8 kids!(lol)
off topic:
During the past few years myself and others have told you repeatedly don't fling mud at others until you clean up the mud in your own yard. You always disagreed! Insulted me, called me names for saying that.
.... As soon as Father Rob tells you not to fling mud......you now say YES SIR! no more mud flinging!
Why the sudden change?(lol)
Your a PHONY!
UNBELIEVABLE!
I love and respect our priests and if one offers me spiritual advice and correction I gladly accept it.

Do you think of yourself as a phony when your wife corrects your bad behaviour and you comply? Do you mutter to yourself about how mean she is and just do it to keep her off your back? Or do you recognize you've made a mistake and react in a mature and loving way?

Who's really the phony here Mike?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420707 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If the passage read "she bore a son even though they had not had marital relations", would you still be arguing about it? No you wouldn't. The reason you say she had other children is because of the word "until", it has nothing to do with the word "knew".
again not worried about the word "until" in Matt 1:25. I'm back in the Old Testament in Genesis.

Does the word KNEW in the passages below mean that Adam and Cain had sexual relations wife their wives..YES or No is fine..thanks

Gen 44 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain

Gen 4:17 Cain KNEW his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch

**Yes or No is fine Anthony..just say it. Everyone watching knows.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#420708 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. All first born children in that era were called first born regardless of whether there was a second, third, fourth...
Try reading the Word of God!!!

Quote: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

It do not say: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the first born Son of God.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420709 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I use the term "marital relations" because I prefer not to use the term "sexual realtions" in reference to the Blessed Mother out of respect for her. You obviously have no problem with it.
Your claim can only be made because of the word "until" which is the word in dispute. Your ancestors AND the Catholic Church says it meant something different than what you modern day protestants think it means.
God is not offended by sex with married couples, so why would Mary?

Location hidden

#420710 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: If I say "I will not go outside until it stops raining" does that mean when it stopped raining, I did not go outside????
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420711 Feb 7, 2013
There are many problems with the RELIABILITY of the accounts from ancient religious historians. Most never provided credable sources of their claims. Its obvious they did not have modern scholarly techniques and often include heresay as being the truth.

Today no one would take modern scholars seriously if they used the same standards as ancient historians.

If you factor in that many biblical writers believed as christians themselves, often members of the church, you automatically have a built in predjudice towards supporting a real Jesus.

No one today can verify who actually wrote the 4 gospels. With no originals, how can anyone with certainty claim what is written is true.

Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#420712 Feb 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: If I say "I will not go outside until it stops raining" does that mean when it stopped raining, I did not go outside????
I don't know. Does your Doctor let you out in the yard?

Location hidden

#420713 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
A. No, the bible doean't teach they had marital relations.
B. Yes, the bible says they did not have marital relations before she bore a son. This is another way we know of the virgin birth.
C. Yes, the usage of the word "until" in that time meant "not up to the point that" she bore a son. It does not mean it occured aterwards.
They never did have marital relations. They were not an average Jewish couple. They were raising the Son of God.
<quoted text>
What does the word KNEW mean in the vesre?

Your words: Marital relations.

The verse is saying they didn't have marital relations before she bore a son, it doesn't mean he "knew" her afterwards.

So...you acknowledge they had marital relations...per Scripture...

Then you say it did not happen before nor after the birth of Christ...so, when did they have intercourse.....

Location hidden

#420714 Feb 7, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you know....it means when it quit raining, I went outside...
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420715 Feb 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you are, you're the one who brought it up.
The only ones who would like to punch him want to marry each other (and they're both men). The other one is also an effete snob, but he can't even find a man who'll put up with him.
The rest are simply deniers of the truth.
You should be a comedian!

Why would anyone want to punch the pope? Pope says God is his protector.

If God is the protector of the pope as he claims, why does he have a regiment of swiss army guards surrounding him with loaded guns everywhere he goes? God is his protector! a bulllit proof pope-mobile?........yet God is his protector.

I like the pope. He is old school. I doubt the next pope will be as conservative as he is. Get ready for a big change when it comes.

Remember what Cardinal Martini from the vatican said about the catholic church before he died? He was the right hand man of the pope yet spoke out saying the church was 200 years behind the times.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21974...

BIG changes will come when Pope Benedict is gone.......remember my words.

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420716 Feb 7, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed catholics get a little uptight when scripture contradicts their church's teaching. To prove my point, you could've posted something to Ox to debate his point but you went for the insult instead because you got nothing...sigh......

**I hope you don't insult Nita like that anymore. She's fellow catholic.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420717 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I love and respect our priests and if one offers me spiritual advice and correction I gladly accept it.
Do you think of yourself as a phony when your wife corrects your bad behaviour and you comply? Do you mutter to yourself about how mean she is and just do it to keep her off your back? Or do you recognize you've made a mistake and react in a mature and loving way?
Anthony says....

...Do you think of yourself as a phony when your wife corrects your bad behaviour and you comply? Do you mutter to yourself about how mean she is and just do it to keep her off your back? Or do you recognize you've made a mistake and react in a mature and loving way?

Michael says.......been married 39 years. Never experienced what you wrote in your post. Never mutter about her. We always agree. A perfect marriage.

You must be expressing what you and your wife are going through. My condolences.

I just hope Father Rob continues to guide you.(lol) so far he is doing a good job.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420718 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
again not worried about the word "until" in Matt 1:25. I'm back in the Old Testament in Genesis.
Does the word KNEW in the passages below mean that Adam and Cain had sexual relations wife their wives..YES or No is fine..thanks
Gen 44 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain
**Yes or No is fine Anthony..just say it. Everyone watching knows.
I've answered it all through this current discussion. The meaning of the passage in question is "she bore a son even though they had not had marital relations". That's how all of your protestant reformers and the next several generations of protestants understood it. That's how the Catholic Church and all the Eastern Churches have understood it for 2000 years.

If you now say it means they had relations after Jesus's birth, you'll need to explain why the Holy Spirit is telling you something different.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420719 Feb 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer;

Gen 8:7 -- the raven "did not return TILL the waters were dried up..." Question: Did the raven return? NO!

Deut 34:6 -- Moses died "and no one knows his grave TILL this day." Question: Have we found Moses' grave? NO!

2 Sam 6:23 -- Michal "had no children TILL the day of her death." Question: Did she have children after she died? NO!

1 Macc 5:54 -- "...not one of them was slain TILL they had returned in peace." Was Judas M and his troops killed when they returned? NO!

Luke 1:80 -- John the B "was in the deserts TILL the day of his manifestation to Israel." Did John the B stay in the desert? YES!(cf. Matt 3:1; Mark 1:3-4; Luke 3:2-4)

John 4:49 -- "Sir, come down BEFORE my child dies!" Did he die? NO!

Rom 8:22 -- "...the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together UNTIL now." Is it still groaning? YES! <groan> :)

1 Cor 15:25 -- "For He must reign TILL He has put all enemies under His feet." After all enemies are put away, will Christ be reigning? YES!

Eph 4:12-13 -- "...for the equipping...for the work of ministry.... for the edifying....TILL we all come to the unity of the faith...." Once we become unified, will equipping, ministry, and edification still be necessary? YES!

1 Tim 4:13 -- "TILL I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." When Paul arrives, no more reading, no more exhorting, no more doctrine? NO!

1 Tim 6:14 -- "....that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless UNTIL our Lord Jesus Christ's appearing..." When Jesus comes back, we should disobey these commandments? NO!

Rev 2:25-26 -- "But hold fast what you have TILL I come. And he who overcomes and keeps My works UNTIL the end, to him I will give power..." Should we stop holding fast and stop obeying when Jesus returns? NO!

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num27.htm
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420720 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not offended by sex with married couples, so why would Mary?
Why ask me, why don't you ask your protestant ancestors who called people fools for saying she had sex after Jesus' birth?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420721 Feb 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What does the word KNEW mean in the vesre?
Your words: Marital relations.
The verse is saying they didn't have marital relations before she bore a son, it doesn't mean he "knew" her afterwards.
So...you acknowledge they had marital relations...per Scripture...
Then you say it did not happen before nor after the birth of Christ...so, when did they have intercourse.....
No, I don't acknowledge they had marital relations after Jesus' birth, and neither do the scriptures.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420722 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of priests. From ....leavingthepriesthood.com.. ..

Interesting read of why so many men have left or are leaving the priesthood. I am sure the stories of the many women who left their convents are the same.

http://www.leavingthepriesthood.com/

If the holiest men and women in america are not answering the call to the priest/sisterhood what will the next generations bring?

Read what Cardinal Martini stated just before he died.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/01/us-...

...The good Cardinal said most of what I have been saying on here for the past 4.5 years.

Big changes are coming when Pope Benedict passes on. There are eligible cardinals right this minute jockeying for position waiting to come into office and clean house.

Who ever it will be, it will be refreshing and a big step forward for the roman catholic church.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420723 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I've answered it all through this current discussion. The meaning of the passage in question is "she bore a son even though they had not had marital relations". That's how all of your protestant reformers and the next several generations of protestants understood it. That's how the Catholic Church and all the Eastern Churches have understood it for 2000 years.
If you now say it means they had relations after Jesus's birth, you'll need to explain why the Holy Spirit is telling you something different.
The passage "she bore a son even though they had not had marital relations" is not in question and you know it. That's why you continue to ignore my question.

Again...I'm talking about Genesis

Gen 4:4 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain

***It's funny, ever other time catholics come out of the woodwork to debate topics but not a peep out of any of them on this one. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 12 min arun 461
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min It aint necessari... 865,270
Pro Lifers Are The Same As liberals 50 min RiccardoFire 31
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 6,515
Rajkot gay Topix 1 hr jyesh 198
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 40,892
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Peace_Warrior 612,915
The Christian Atheist debate 6 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 2,016
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 19 hr Frannie 44
More from around the web