Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591388 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Ames, IA

#420641 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you and your friends here would like to beat up the pope.
Isn't that kind of behaviour something you say you left behind after you got saved?
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, "I will take revenge; I will pay them back," says the LORD.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420642 Feb 7, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't Mary known to be his mother and James,Joseph,Simon, and Judas his brothers?Aren't his sisters our neighbors? Where did he get all this?" MATTHEW 13:55-56. Pages1157-58 NEW AMERICAN C a t h o l i c Bible.
"Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary,a brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not his sisters our neighbors here? They found him too much for them." MARK 6:3. Page 1187 New American Bible,Catholic Edition.
"I did not meet anyother apostles except JAMES the brother of the Lord." Galatians 1:19.Page 1370 New American Catholic edition.
"For not even His brothers believed in H i m."John 7:5 New King James.
"(As a matter of fact, not even his brothers had much confidence in him.) John 7:5. Page 1256 New American Bible Catholic Edition.
According to the Catholic scholars who are so willing to interpret all of these Scriptures to you,the brothers and sisters are either COUSINS,or the children of a former marriage of Joseph,which is pure speculation.
If one would read the Scriptures I quoted here without the Catholic interpretation,they would easily assume that Joseph and Mary had other children between each other as Man(Husband) and Woman(Wife). There are no explanations in the whole of the New Testament that would clarify for us in fact that the brothers of Jesus mentioned above and his sisters,were C o u s i n s, and or from a former marriage,which by the way was never established by the whole of Christian theology to this very day.
In other words there is no dogma or doctrine that was established to the historical validity of Joseph being married before he eventually married M a r y. The former Orthodox John from NJ argued with me one time that Joseph and Mary were never in fact married.But we do see in Scripture that Joseph is called Mary's husband and Mary is called Joseph's wife.We know as well that scandal would be quite obvious if in fact Joseph and Mary were never married.EVEN if there was no mention in Scripture of other sons and daughters,JESUS being the Son of Mary would be found a Bastard if Joseph in fact was never married to M a r y.
The typical Jewish family as having the roots of HEBREW customs and culture,were encouraged to have as many children as they could bear.It sounds like Joseph and Mary were typical Jewish parents who not only had Jesus as their s o n,but continued to be a family with the normal passions of bringing other sons in Israel along with daughters.BUT for your Catholic scholars and very traditional mindset concerning Mary,we would normally assume that Mary in fact did not remain a Virgin her whole life,but as a wife to Joseph bore him children,who are listed both in Luke's gospel and Mark's as well.You Regina along with your Catholic entourage can only speculate and dogmatically contend for the Ever-Virginity of Mary,the Scriptures do not support the ever-Virginity of Mary whatsoever.
Typical Jewish families did not bear and raise the Incarnate Word of God.

Catholic scholars?

ALL of your protestants ancestors agreed with the Catholic Church.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420643 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. lol.
Have you ever read anything he's written?
Pope Benny wrote a book about his experience being in a Hitler Youth program when he was 14. Have you read it?
John Brown

Piedmont, OK

#420644 Feb 7, 2013
Yahweh Is not a god....he is your heavenly father....
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#420645 Feb 7, 2013
StarC wrote:
One week before Lent 2.13.13
Give Ups for Lent and always...
Give up bitterness; turn to forgiveness.
Give up hatred; return good for evil.
Give up negativism; be positive.
Give up complaining; be grateful.
Give up pessimism; be an optimist.
Give up harsh judgments; think kind thoughts.
Give up worry; trust Divine Providence.
Give up discouragement; be full of hope.
Give up anger; be more patient.
Give up pettiness; be more mature.
Give up gloom; enjoy the beauty around you.
Give up jealousy; pray for trust.
Give up gossiping; control your thoughts.
Give up sin; turn to virtue.
Good list of "give ups" Star! Thanks so much!! As an convert to Jesus Christ and HIS One True Catholic Church--please pray for me in dealing with these Protestants, and their attacks on our faith!
Thanks and Gods Blessings to you and your family!!
marge

Ames, IA

#420646 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible does not affirm that she did have children afterwards either.
It reads as though she did.
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#420647 Feb 7, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh hi CG - I can see your "Catholic" dismay is festering so much, you just had to voice your frustration at me.
Not a problem, I'm here for you.
I can completely understand your frustations. Shoot, when I found I that the RCC was only teaching a portion of Jesus' teachings, I was like you....dismayed.
I fought the dismay with astonishment, and lo and behold - all of Jesus teachings have brough about a great change in me.
Hissing and huffing about me is off-topic. But hey, you can't see it this way. I know. It's tough to speak ill about the RCC, all knowing that it brings you comfort, but lying to yourself and others about it, is not what Jesus would want.
Skip the Pope - he'll never show up, so no worries anymore, k?
Thanks for responding.
Now that's showing leadership. Thanks for understanding, I don't mean of offend anyone as everyone is entitled to their opinions. Speaking of opinions, this is something I must discuss at my next confession. I know I'm very opinionated, which doesnt' seem to be a good thing at all. I'll blame satan for this one, oh those temptations. Now if I can stop the snacking temptations I'd be very happy with self.
As for the topic. I agree, RCC is the only true church, others are just a spin off catholics. RCC is the only church that can be traced back to the apostils, as far as I know.
Thanks again for showing your kindness.

Trust in God....
Pad

Rockford, IL

#420648 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the word KNEW mean in the vesre?
In response to AnthonyMN.UNTIL means what it says,Joseph did not touch the Virgin Mary while she was pregnant and most likely not shortly after knowing her condition as being sacred in having delivered to the world the Holy Child Jesus.We forget that Joseph must have been in awe of the reality that Mary was carrying in her precous body,the Lord.Joseph did not have N O R M A L relations with his W I F E until she was able to lie next to him as his wife having no baby within her womb,and being by his side as his loving wife.Who knows maybe they waited a year before they could enjoy the beauty of intercourse between each other.

But the complication and madness for centuries has been that Joseph is some old man,perhaps one who selected a virgin to protect her for life.Mary is a temple virgin(another complicated)THEORY either from the Orthodox or Catholic teaching who knows? Let's complicate the issue,why should Mary be just a wife,one who along with her husband bring children into this world?

The Catholics accuse us of assuming and speculating,when they in fact are the masters of it from the get go.Mary and Joseph in the light of Roman Catholicism are a nun and a priest living together,raising Jesus alone,for what? Well seeing the outcome of such a theory in regards to RC and Orthodox teaching,we see Mary now married in essence to the Holy Spirit.As she is called the Spouse of the Holy Spirit.We see that Mary is called the Mother of God,and the many titles given to her,IF in fact she was truly just the woman with Joseph a wife and mother of Jesus,and Joseph's children,Mary could not be Queen of Heaven,or now the Spouse of the Holy Spirit.

It is not possible for Catholics to see Mary outside of an encrypted grotto or case.She must be almost Divine in order to have Jesus,that is why they so strongly believe in the ever-Virginity.It is worship true and true,not just praying to her for requests,but a long history of worship of the Mother of God.It is much more that what could ever be assumed from those simple Scriptures we read earlier from Luke and Mark.Mary is too base if she in fact had other children.No she must be exalted on a level which is not far from her Son Jesus.That is the reality of what is believed,it is not a matter of cousins or some other woman's sons and daughters,it is who and what Mary is.That focus alone takes away from the only ONE to be the main focus in Scripture JESUS the Christ,Son of the Living God.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#420649 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Gen 44 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain
Gen 4:17 Cain KNEW his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch
Gen 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them
**Knew means martial relations...not seeing it Tony
And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them

Your argument is astoundingly brilliant here. Knew you say means marital relations. So the men in Sodom and Gomorrah didnt know they had to be married to know them or did the bible sanction homosexual marriage and they were secretly married. Your conclusions are sola confusing. lol

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#420650 Feb 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol, I think that you are confusing me with Luke who according to you made this assumption in the 50th verse.
Luk 2:50 And they [understood not] the saying which he spake unto them.
man, you are complete stupid robert. the Bible says that they went one days march, and then his sinless mom(according to catholicism) noticed him gone, so they went back and it probably didnt take them one day as two could go faster than a whole crowd.
so where you come up with this 3 days is beyond me since that time is around 38 years or so in the future.
and I can see no sense of sorrow when they found him only relief.lol
you continue to amaze me with your nonsensical statements
preston

How long are you going to make me preach to you preacherman? lol

Luke 2:46" And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions."

So your assumption that it didn't take very long to find Jesus is very directly addressed in this verse as being 3 days....This was the first time the Blessed Mother had "lost" him for 3 days. The second time was when he died on the cross, was dead(lost) for 3 days and was resurrected. Both were times of great sorrow. This sorrow that Simeon had prophesied when Jesus was a baby, to the Blessed Mary and Joseph was in her mind when they searched for him....

Luke 2:34,35 " And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed."

In this case Luke 2:48 " And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing."

So the Blessed Mary, and Joseph were amazed, sorrowing, and not understanding....

As for the rest..., simply put, Jesus was revealing himself in the Temple, and to this day, I don't think anyone can fully comprehend this in a full eschatological sense. You are trying to make the Blessed Mary into God, then declare she isn't, so you can further your argument against her. You just don't make sense preacherman....
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420651 Feb 7, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them
Your argument is astoundingly brilliant here. Knew you say means marital relations. So the men in Sodom and Gomorrah didnt know they had to be married to know them or did the bible sanction homosexual marriage and they were secretly married. Your conclusions are sola confusing. lol
You're respectfully wrong bout you didn't mention these..thanks

**I hate to say it Dust but Mary was not a virgin her whole life...sorry

**Do you and Nita still fight? I hope not..I hate to see two catholics fighting especially when catholics are suppose to agree on everything.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420652 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Gen 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them
**Knew means martial relations...not seeing it Tony
The operative word here is "until", it's not the word "knew". If the verse had said "he knew her not", you wouldn't be arguing the point. In the bible and in the ancient use of the word "until" meant "not before", it did not imply that it occured afterwards. This verse says nothing more than Jesus was not conceived by their having marital realtions.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#420653 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Jewish families did not bear and raise the Incarnate Word of God.
Catholic scholars?
ALL of your protestants ancestors agreed with the Catholic Church.
I do not base any belief I have in Christ on what any protestant reformer thought in the time of that Reformation.If former priests such as Luther still held to the doctrines of ever-virginity or whatever else he learned in that time,that is for him to believe.I am not a Lutheran,nor a Calvinist,nor do I follow the teachings of the Reformers to date.But we have the Scriptures,and as long as we do not complicate their meaning we have simple and undeniable truth as to WHO and WHAT JESUS is,along with His mother and step-father Joseph.

If you want to argue speculation,than you must put aside UNTIL,and those Scriptures in Luke and Mark,believing what your church has taught you.I will not argue speculation:whether Jesus was the Firstborn which He was,but your Catholic theology has some other response to.Or that Joseph speculatively married some other woman first before Mary.Or that Mary was a temple virgin,which is highly legendary rather than solid truth.Mary is the mother who also is mentioned with the brothers and sisters.the WORD cousin is never mentioned. Your speculation is not enough to carry on faith for me.

I believe that Mary is truly blessed,and that she was a wonderful human being,and that she no doubt suffered horribly when her son suffered and died.I do not diminish her in any way,but it is not for me to speculate her ever-virginity,or her being a Queen in heaven,or being the Spouse of the Holy Spirit.ALL Speculation! NO proof whatsoever especially from the very Apostles who shared with us in the New Testament.The Apostles did not give to us your Marian doctrines,so those doctrines are mere speculatory suggestions.

Location hidden

#420654 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Well considering I believe what Jesus taught - your questioning is unfounded and seems to be mis-directing.
NASL

I believe what Jesus taught in the Bible.
I believe Jesus is the Truth.

You believe everything Jesus taught in extra-Biblical sources.
You don't believe Jesus is the Truth.

It is your subtle way of snaring someone into an argument, that is so obvious. You laid your trap to many times in the same place and the same way to get any results from the old timers on here.(smile)

So who is really mis-directing, and being up front?(smile)
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#420655 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Matt 1:24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.
**Does this passage prove other kids no but does prove she wasn't a virgin.
"Michal the daughter of Saul had no children till the day of her death" (2 Sam. 6:23)....And this proves that Michal had children after her death.

POOF!

Location hidden

#420656 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
BTW - I don't know what "God" can or cannot do....as I am not "He".
Those who think they know what he does or doesn't do, are only showing others how incomprehensible that person is to the workings of religion.
Also - I don't believe in your "God". That doesn't say I don't believe in some spiritual "Supreme Being", because I do.
NASL

Exactly!

You believe God can do anything, including evil....

Christians believe God only does Good, because God is Good.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#420657 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're respectfully wrong bout you didn't mention these..thanks
**I hate to say it Dust but Mary was not a virgin her whole life...sorry
**Do you and Nita still fight? I hope not..I hate to see two catholics fighting especially when catholics are suppose to agree on everything.
LOL...You know your argument was just demolished, so why not own up to it? Answer: Its important for you to be wrong. lol
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420658 Feb 7, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument is astoundingly brilliant here. Knew you say means marital relations. lol
Actually Anthony said "knew" means martial relations". Still laughing dumb dumb??

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#420659 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible does not affirm that she did have children afterwards either.
And it doesn't "affirm" she didn't.

It can go both ways.....but for a so-called "Catholic", they have decided that she was a "virgin".

Why does it have to make things up?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#420660 Feb 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
and on the mount, it was Jesus in that Burning Bush since he is the [word] of God or Logos,
not an angel
From the NABre pope approved Catholic Bible: John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

In the beginning:
Also the first words of the Old Testament (Gn 1:1). Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God’s dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God’s creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy).

With God:
The Greek preposition here connotes communication with another.

Was God:
Lack of a definite article with “God” in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 841,826
Beautiful Contemporary Instumental NEW AGE MUSI... 4 min giddy up 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Charlie Sheen 271,482
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 16 min WasteWater 5,870
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 25 min WasteWater 4,796
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 42 min WasteWater 100,212
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 47 min WasteWater 5,936
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Truths 612,282
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 3 hr Neelakaran 1,477
More from around the web