Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 595985 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420621 Feb 7, 2013
REGINAM. says...

....Wonderful! Then please do share with us the chapter and verse that calls the Blessed Virgin Mary the mother of anyone but Jesus.
I'm afraid just saying "yes there is" isn't quite enough, Marge. The Catholics have been asking this question for years and none of you has yet to produce said scripture. After all, you are sola scriptura aren't you?

Michael says....below, no less than 30 scriptures that refer to Jesus BROTHERS and sons of Mary.

Remember it was your own christian fathers who wrote all this stuff.(lol) and you disagree with them.

http://carm.org/did-mary-have-other-children

Why would the scriptures in every instance use brother instead of cousin? Who would keep referrring to their cousins?(lol)

BUSTED ....again!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420622 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Matt 1:24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.
**Does this passage prove other kids no but does prove she wasn't a virgin.
No it doesn't. The use of the word "until" doesn't mean that it occured afterwards.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420623 Feb 7, 2013
Psalm 69:8 (NASB95)
...... I have become estranged from my BROTHERS
And an alien to my mother’s SONS!

seems clear to me.

CONFIRMED!
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420624 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. The use of the word "until" doesn't mean that it occured afterwards.
What does the word KNEW mean in the vesre?
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#420625 Feb 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~
You wrote
Since the word "Constantine" is not in the bible,,,
NOTHING--ZERO--NOT ONE IOTA--
___
That should tell you ...that you should not be following Constantin's
fables and conjecture....His dogma, traditions, and lies.
YOU and your other bible only believers are the ones that "keep saying" that every word, phrase and sentence "must be in the bible" in order for it to be true.... We as Catholics ALL know that (you keep spinning your wheels) and that your distorted, unbiblical (self-opinionated)_ belief is false, UNTRUE and is a lie!!....! There is NOTHING in the bible that supports "any of your bible only" doctrine!!...Furthermore--- Why do you keep referring to Church History (regarding Constantine and Church Tradition when you don't support and don't believe "either one" As far as your concerned Constantine (never existed) and that there is "no such thing as church history) because Constantines name is not in the bible!!---yet you keep referring to him. You continue to speak out of "both sides of your mouth" or better called "forked tongue"!! Confrinting--you keep "digging" deeper and deeper hole for yourself with your (bogus) "half-truth, half-heresy" Christianity. You are not fooling "anyone" but yourself!!
marge

Ames, IA

#420626 Feb 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful! Then please do share with us the chapter and verse that calls the Blessed Virgin Mary the mother of anyone but Jesus.
I'm afraid just saying "yes there is" isn't quite enough, Marge. The Catholics have been asking this question for years and none of you has yet to produce said scripture. After all, you are sola scriptura aren't you?
Read for yourself;
Matthew 12:46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.
----------
Matthew 13:55 "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?
----------
Matthew 13:56 Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?"
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420627 Feb 7, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL yes it would be very interesting if the Pope came on this thread. I think there would be a long line of all the people who want to hit the Pope Jethro.
So you and your friends here would like to beat up the pope.

Isn't that kind of behaviour something you say you left behind after you got saved?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420628 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Marital relations.

The verse is saying they didn't have marital relations before she bore a son, it doesn't mean he "knew" her afterwards.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#420629 Feb 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderful! Then please do share with us the chapter and verse that calls the Blessed Virgin Mary the mother of anyone but Jesus.
"Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't Mary known to be his mother and James,Joseph,Simon, and Judas his brothers?Aren't his sisters our neighbors? Where did he get all this?" MATTHEW 13:55-56. Pages1157-58 NEW AMERICAN C a t h o l i c Bible.

"Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary,a brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not his sisters our neighbors here? They found him too much for them." MARK 6:3. Page 1187 New American Bible,Catholic Edition.

"I did not meet anyother apostles except JAMES the brother of the Lord." Galatians 1:19.Page 1370 New American Catholic edition.

"For not even His brothers believed in H i m."John 7:5 New King James.
"(As a matter of fact, not even his brothers had much confidence in him.) John 7:5. Page 1256 New American Bible Catholic Edition.

According to the Catholic scholars who are so willing to interpret all of these Scriptures to you,the brothers and sisters are either COUSINS,or the children of a former marriage of Joseph,which is pure speculation.

If one would read the Scriptures I quoted here without the Catholic interpretation,they would easily assume that Joseph and Mary had other children between each other as Man(Husband) and Woman(Wife). There are no explanations in the whole of the New Testament that would clarify for us in fact that the brothers of Jesus mentioned above and his sisters,were C o u s i n s, and or from a former marriage,which by the way was never established by the whole of Christian theology to this very day.

In other words there is no dogma or doctrine that was established to the historical validity of Joseph being married before he eventually married M a r y. The former Orthodox John from NJ argued with me one time that Joseph and Mary were never in fact married.But we do see in Scripture that Joseph is called Mary's husband and Mary is called Joseph's wife.We know as well that scandal would be quite obvious if in fact Joseph and Mary were never married.EVEN if there was no mention in Scripture of other sons and daughters,JESUS being the Son of Mary would be found a Bastard if Joseph in fact was never married to M a r y.

The typical Jewish family as having the roots of HEBREW customs and culture,were encouraged to have as many children as they could bear.It sounds like Joseph and Mary were typical Jewish parents who not only had Jesus as their s o n,but continued to be a family with the normal passions of bringing other sons in Israel along with daughters.BUT for your Catholic scholars and very traditional mindset concerning Mary,we would normally assume that Mary in fact did not remain a Virgin her whole life,but as a wife to Joseph bore him children,who are listed both in Luke's gospel and Mark's as well.You Regina along with your Catholic entourage can only speculate and dogmatically contend for the Ever-Virginity of Mary,the Scriptures do not support the ever-Virginity of Mary whatsoever.
marge

Ames, IA

#420630 Feb 7, 2013
Regina;

Luke 2:7

And she gave birth to her >firstborn< son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420631 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you and your friends here would like to beat up the pope.
Isn't that kind of behaviour something you say you left behind after you got saved?
I wouldn't want to beat him up Tony. I'd share the Gospel with him.
marge

Ames, IA

#420632 Feb 7, 2013
Knew her not - The doctrine of the virginity of Mary before the birth of Jesus is a doctrine of the Scriptures, and is very important to be believed. But the Bible does not affirm that she had no children afterward. Indeed, all the accounts in the New Testament lead us to suppose that she did have them. See the notes at Matthew 13:55-56. The language here evidently implies that she lived as the wife of Joseph after the birth of Jesus.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#420633 Feb 7, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not promoting catholicism with your rants against others. You are creating divisivness among all people.
Congratulations for dividing our world.
Wrong again--Michael--which is no surprise to "any Catholic" who reads your ANTI-CATHOLIC comments! Ask Clay, Anthony, Regina or ANY other Catholic, who listens to you!!!....Divisiveness, division, splintering, separation and fracturing began over 500 years ago starting with Luther and the Protestant Reformation! Zwingli, Hus, Wycliff, Calvin, Knox, Hedio, Petri, etc, etc and NOW You, Confrinting, Orville, 4GVN, justachristian, jethro8, PAD, LTM and the other 42,000+ inconsistent Protestant (hodge-podge) of contradicting beliefs are "nothing more" than a "heretical extension" of the Protestant Reformation........ Division??? Yes Michael!!! It all begins with you---as a condemning and judgemental Protestant-atheists-or agnostic--"whatever you call yourself". Their was Church unity for over 1500 years until "rebellious and defiant" Prodigal son Protestants came along beginning with Luther!!! Catholic didn't start dividing!! YOU DID!!! And people like you "just can't let go of more and more dividing!!
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#420634 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the problem with protestants like you who insert things and do not understand the meaning of the times but rather seek to insert how you understand it in the vernacular. If the bible had someone was gay which at one time meant happy you would assume they were homosexual. So then you argue that they kept it from everyone. Its so stupid but ignorance is bliss and its how unlearned and unstable like you twist the word. You wish us to believe that since the beginning and up to 200 years all of Christianity got it wrong even the people who understood the language much better than you. The reformers well they were too Catholic. lol You cannot prove from the bible alone that Mary had other biological children period. Thus, you have created your own tradition not using sola scriptura but inserting your own determination of that which you want to believe.

Matt. 1:25 - this verse says Joseph knew her "not until ("heos", in Greek)" she bore a son. Some Protestants argue that this proves Joseph had relations with Mary after she bore a son. This is an erroneous reading of the text because "not until" does not mean "did not...until after." "Heos" references the past, never the future. Instead, "not until" she bore a son means "not up to the point that" she bore a son. This confirms that Mary was a virgin when she bore Jesus. Here are other texts that prove "not until" means "not up to the point that":

Matt. 28:29 - I am with you "until the end of the world." This does not mean Jesus is not with us after the end of the world.

Luke 1:80 - John was in the desert "up to the point of his manifestation to Israel." Not John "was in the desert until after" his manifestation.

Luke 2:37 - Anna was a widow "up to the point that" she was eighty-four years old. She was not a widow after eighty-four years old.

Luke 20:43 - Jesus says, "take your seat at my hand until I have made your enemies your footstool." Jesus is not going to require the apostles to sit at His left hand after their enemies are their footstool.

1 Tim. 4:13 - "up to the point that I come," attend to teaching and preaching. It does not mean do nothing "until after" I come.

Gen. 8:7 - the raven flew back and forth "up to the point that" [until] the waters dried from the earth. The raven did not start flying after the waters dried.

Gen. 28:15 - the Lord won't leave Jacob "up to the point that" he does His promise. This does not mean the Lord will leave Jacob afterward.

Deut. 34:6 - but "up to the point of today" no one knows Moses' burial place. This does not mean that "they did not know place until today."

2 Sam. 6:23 - Saul's daughter Micah was childless "up to the point" [until] her death. She was not with child after her death.

1 Macc. 5:54 - not one was slain "up to the point that" they returned in peace. They were not slain after they returned in peace.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/blessed_virg...
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#420635 Feb 7, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh that is just what this thread needs, the Pope himself LOL
Now wouldn't that be intersting? Although I'd probably be embarrassed from the response he may receive through this thread.

Trust in God...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420636 Feb 7, 2013
marge wrote:
Regina;
Luke 2:7
And she gave birth to her >firstborn< son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
The firstborn were always called firstborn regardless of whether there was a second or third or fourth...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420637 Feb 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Marital relations.
The verse is saying they didn't have marital relations before she bore a son, it doesn't mean he "knew" her afterwards.
Gen 44 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain

Gen 4:17 Cain KNEW his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch

Gen 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them

**Knew means martial relations...not seeing it Tony
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420638 Feb 7, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't want to beat him up Tony. I'd share the Gospel with him.
I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. lol.

Have you ever read anything he's written?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#420639 Feb 7, 2013
marge wrote:
Knew her not - The doctrine of the virginity of Mary before the birth of Jesus is a doctrine of the Scriptures, and is very important to be believed. But the Bible does not affirm that she had no children afterward. Indeed, all the accounts in the New Testament lead us to suppose that she did have them. See the notes at Matthew 13:55-56. The language here evidently implies that she lived as the wife of Joseph after the birth of Jesus.
The bible does not affirm that she did have children afterwards either.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#420640 Feb 7, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the problem with protestants like you who insert things and do not understand the meaning of the times but rather seek to insert how you understand it in the vernacular.
How should I understand these passages:
Gen 44 Now Adam KNEW Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain

Gen 4:17 Cain KNEW his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch

Gen 19:4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot,“Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may KNOW them

**Hey btw..you and Nita still fighting?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 854,113
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min Geraldo 444,186
The Christian Atheist debate 9 min Lbj 795
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min WasteWater 5,831
What Is RacismAnd Bigotry? 14 min Burke Devlin 1
cleaning black dollar \ cleaning black currency... (Sep '12) 56 min Oliver Shawls 80
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Down South 121,923
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr New Age Spiritual... 612,602
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr RiccardoFire 100,732
More from around the web