Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
404,761 - 404,780 of 539,574 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#420046 Feb 4, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see this? It's footage of Steve and Janet Ray's current pilgrimage to the Holy Land (one of many he's made). I'd love to go there:
http://www.catholic-convert.com/2013/02/04/pr...
No, but thanks! If you contact apologists they sometimes have package deals and if you organize a group you might get a free trip or at least a very good deduction.
RCC Superiority So BUSTED

Melbourne, FL

#420047 Feb 4, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't put the guy in jail. That's for the civil authority to do, or not.
Personally, if they can prove a charge of perjury, I hope they go after him with everything they've got.
It does not seem as though there is much hope of charges on anything else, due to statutes of limitations, although the right creative argument about criminal supression of information might be made to pass muster.
My suspicion is that Benedict may summon him to Rome (if criminal charges are not files), where Mahoney will be just one of a dime-a-dozen Cardinals, rather than one of only two in LA.
Rob
I agree with you. Mahoney may well be summoned to Rome, where he can be a dime-a-dozen Cardinal.

Refreshing.

Melbourne, FL

#420048 Feb 4, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just more of your "smoke blowing" anti-catholic bogus "personal distorted opinions"..... You have become an "expert" at creating "thick emission pollution" from the "hot air contamination" every time you make a comment!!!
Forgive me.
TrueWitness

Homewood, IL

#420049 Feb 4, 2013
There is big money involved in being the only true church or denomination if you can get it to grow and expand. Lots of money and problem to go with it like any other business

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#420050 Feb 4, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>"this person who used that oil on the feet of Jesus is NOT MARY MAGADELEN, IT IS THE SISTER OF MARTHA AND LAZARUS.and they are always portrayed as FRIENDS of Jesus, NEVER AS A SINNER, LIKE YOU ARE CALLING HER."
these are the words that I used to show robert that this was not the sinner Mary, and all you are doing is showing the world that my statement was CORRECT. SO WHATS THE BEEF? LOL.
getting back to Mary, the Mother of jesus, It is my opinion that Mary never got Saved until after His death.when she then began to walk with His Disciples instead of being outside the gate,looking in.LOL. and then like many others at Pentecost, she received the Holy Spirit, and there are many denominations that would insist that would have been the time that she got Saved. knowing that jesus is the Savior and accepting Him as your personal Savior are two entirely different things. as several have posted verses that show His siblings didnt believe in Him as the messiah, you would have thought that Mary [knowing] then that he was the Messiah would have taught her children better. I know that I have taught my children that Jesus is Lord.as a senior, my son wrote for a grant that he was brought up in a religious family. he got it of course. and it paid for his tutution and books all thru college.
when you Bless God, He will bless you.
preston

A religion based on "It is my opinion" is not based in the Truth of the Bible. Being religous, and in a religous family is not a guarantee of eternal life with God.

Get back, read the Bible. Pray to understand that Jesus is the actual Son of Man and Son of God, and not some alter-ontological creation of God replacing Adam....
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420051 Feb 4, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
How does leaving the Church help protect the children?
How did your leaving help?(I thought you left before you were aware of the scandal)
What are you doing now to protect the children?
Some child protection advocates say with the safeguards instituted by the Church, children are safer in Catholic schools and Churches than in any other organization.
Anthony says....

...Some child protection advocates say with the safeguards instituted by the Church, children are safer in Catholic schools and Churches than in any other organization.

Michael says. You are right Anthony. Can you imagine in your church if this was still the 1980s/90s when much of this damage was going on, behind the backs of you and all the followers.

..Quit patting your church leaders on the back. The safeguards are ONLY in place because priests/bishops got caught and the number of cases were so overwhelming (worldwide) they couldn't do anything but cave in to public pressure to do what is right.

We are seeing the ugly results today from what has happened in the past.

The very first time the church leaders are dialing 911!

Its going to take decades to clean up the entire mess.

Lets hope they do.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#420052 Feb 4, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
005 970
<quoted text>
This is not a denial...For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
This is the truth...However, sinning by the Catholic pedophile cadre and other abuses by priests and nuns, against defenseless children,is a way of life....you have proven that is not so in the denominations you named...thanks.
Oh...LOL You are a pretty thick dude. No scholar protestant, secular or Catholic with the facts support your moronic contention. All you need do is check the insurance statistics which show greater abuse in Protestant circles, which do not include black churches or the many churches who have been dropped or could not afford it and the delusional ones who think abuse is not possible in their churches or amongst their members. The sinless ones. You really should learn more about abuse and try to remove your blindfold when you do so. I think there is a good reason the SBC would not keep a list of offendors and record keeping is hardly the formal and meticulous documentation of the church. I have no problem weeding out offendors. I have a problem with angry self righteous ignorant bigots like yourself who throw stones froma glass house. If it makes you feel better to ignore your problem the children are the ones who will suffer. However, clearly you have the best interests of children in mind. ;0 Brilliant stuff Oxbore. Its really sad that people like you will never get it, because as I said your hatred of Catholics is more important than the children. Sad

Melbourne, FL

#420053 Feb 4, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
No it was not.
More spin and denial. Specifically...

"... even the Bible was once on the blacklist. Translations of the holy book ended up on the bonfires along with other ``heretical'' works because the Church, whose official language was Latin, was suspicious of allowing the faithful access to sacred texts without ecclesiastical guidance."

http://www.book-arts-l.ua.edu/1998/01/msg0028...

We've know all the excuses.

By refusing to provide official translations, the RCC was very effective in banning the Bible from 99.5% of humanity.

Then came the terrible Reformation, with things like human rights and democracy. It's been downhill ever since.

Forgive those who went against the RCC and ultimately gave you the right to vote.

LOL
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420054 Feb 4, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why aren't you out helping protect kids in protestant communities and public schools? It's more dangerous for them there.
"tip of the iceberg"?
Considering the public schools and protestant communities are worse than Catholic, it sounds to me like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Or....are you like Freemind, all talk, no walk?
I support all victims of crime. I will stand against anyone with criminal intentions taking advantage anyone who ever they are.

and it is the tip of the iceburg.

192 priests/bishop litigants just in the Diocese of Los Angeles.$660 MILLION. Does that sound trivial?

Victims? Over 500. The tip of the iceburg.

I posted to you before that all the dioceses in Minnesota have had their share of abusive clergy. What the hell is going on??

These are the very clergy who taught people like you and me Anthony when we were young that we could never receive the eucharist with such sins on our souls, but for some reason that never applied to those clergy that abused and those that covered up these sins. They gave themselves the eucharist at every mass they said with full knowledge of what they were doing.

We know you love your church. We know the people are hurting, but unless you stop being made fools of and start speaking out to your church leaders, this will not go away for a long long time, and its nobodys fault but your own for being SILENT.

MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420055 Feb 4, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mikey did you hear the news? Thank God you have done so much! Now you can really help. Learn!
The training programs offered by Catholic parishes now are so widespread and considered so helpful that non-Catholic churches frequently send their parishioners to the Catholic training programs. In most dioceses, clergy are required to repeat this training every so many years or face often severe punishment, such as the suspension of faculties (having permission to preach and celebrate the sacraments revoked by the bishop). Prevention measures by U.S. dioceses are tracked by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, which conducts regular audits to ensure that all parishes are in compliance, and the audit results are published.
Al Notzon III, chair of the National Review Board that has helped advise the U.S. bishops on clergy sex abuse, said that there has been “striking improvement” and “children are safer now” than they were several years ago. However, there is still work to do in order to “protect children and restore trust,” he said.
Notzon spoke to the U.S. bishops gathered at their spring meeting in Atlanta, Ga. on June 13.
He delivered a 10 year progress report on the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, which was adopted by the bishops in Dallas in 2002 as part of their response to the sexual abuse scandal.
He also offered recommendations based on a recent study conducted by the independent research institution John Jay College of Criminal Justice, entitled "The Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests in the United States, 1950-2010."
The Church has taken “serious steps towards understanding and reducing” sexual abuse of minors by priests, Notzon said.
He noted that there has been a steady decline in new cases of abuse and that all 195 U.S. dioceses and eparchies now have policies and procedures in place to prevent and handle abuse, as well as a Victim Assistance Coordinator to help in responding to allegations.
Dioceses across the country have instituted review boards comprised of both laity and clergy to advise on alleged abuse cases and are actively cooperating with legal authorities when such accusations arise, he said.
Additionally, confidentiality agreements have been abolished, except when requested by victims.
http://www.soladeiverbum.com/abuse.shtml
http://childmolestationprevention.org/
fforts have also been made to offer pastoral assistance to victims, and written codes of conduct have been implemented for clergy and other adults who work around children, Notzon added.
Despite these significant improvements, dioceses must continue working to restore trust, he said, emphasizing that the work “is not finished and may never be.”
“We must never let our guard down,” he stated, cautioning against “complacency” or reduced vigilance.
He offered recommendations for the future based on the independently-conducted “causes and context” study, which he observed may be useful for other organizations, since child sexual abuse is a problem in the broader community and not just the Catholic Church.
Education is one important factor in working to improve the protection of young people in the U.S., said Notzon.
Thats good news!

What part did you play in instituting these measures?

Can you imagine how much damage has been done over 17 centuries that this has been going on in the church? Its written right into the Canon Laws and papal documents since the 3rd century that this has been a serious problem with some clergy.

1700 years later we see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Seriously, I believe the worst is behind us. A tough lesson to learn, and it just goes to show. You can't trust anyone until you know for sure.
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#420056 Feb 4, 2013
RCC Superiority So BUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
More spin and denial. Specifically...
"... even the Bible was once on the blacklist. Translations of the holy book ended up on the bonfires along with other ``heretical'' works because the Church, whose official language was Latin, was suspicious of allowing the faithful access to sacred texts without ecclesiastical guidance."
http://www.book-arts-l.ua.edu/1998/01/msg0028...
We've know all the excuses.
By refusing to provide official translations, the RCC was very effective in banning the Bible from 99.5% of humanity.
Then came the terrible Reformation, with things like human rights and democracy. It's been downhill ever since.
Forgive those who went against the RCC and ultimately gave you the right to vote.
LOL
The Church banned UNAPPROVED and FAULTY translations of the scriptures.

Still wetting your pants because you think you've hit the jackpot.(lol)! This guy must know you personally, he described you to a tee!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#420057 Feb 4, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Mr. Unbelievable" !!! The biblically and Historically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church is "not" in the numbers game. The 42,000+ "numbers game" all began at the Reformation as I will refresh your "ever so (blank and busted ) memory!!
Since the Protestant reformation in the 16th century, there has been an on-going of dividing, fracturing, and splintering of one denomination after another, who "have never", NOR "will ever"agree on (anything) regarding the (true authenticated and proven) interpretation of the bible handed down by the Early Church Fathers in 382,393 and 397 AD.---- We as Catholics,continue to embrace, hold fast and adhere to the "true interpretation of the bible" from which we all know that our Protestant brothers and sisters in Christ choose to rely upon their own on (anti-catholic) distorted, contradicting and conflicting "personal opinions" --as the "final authority" by rejecting the TRUTH handed down by Jesus Christ to His Apostles. Here is a partial list of the 42,000+ conflicting , inconsistent and contradicting "hodge-podge" of "personal opinionated" denominations since the beginning of the Reformation: This list does not include the small % of agnostics and atheists who, like most Protestants, rely on denying of over 2000 years of historical and biblical (proven truth) in order to keep their bible only (relative truth) beliefs intact"
.Luther (eliminated some original books of the bible)
2.Zwingli (eliminated and rejected the Eucharist)
3.Knox (threw out some of the Sacraments)
4.Wesley (each one rejected something to start a new denomination
5.Huss " " "
6.Cromwell " " "
7.Wycliff " " "
8.(Beginning with the A's " "
Advent Christian Church
Advent Christian Conference
Advent Christian Conference of Japan
Adventist Church
Adventists of the True Remnant
Africa Christian network
Africa Evangelical Church
Africa Evangelical Church of Malawi
Africa Gospel Church
Africa Gospel Unity Church
Africa Inland Church
African Apostolic Church of Johane Maranke
African Apostolic Church of Johane Masowe
African Apostolic Church of Nigeria & Benin
African Apostolic Church St Simon & St Johane
African Apostolic Faith Mission
African Assemblies of God
African Baptist Assembly Malawi
African Born Full Gospel Apostolic Ch
African Brotherhood Church
African Catholic Church
African Christian Church & Schools
African Christians Fellowship
African Church
African Church Mission
African Church of Jesus Christ in Kenya
African Church of the Holy Spirit
African Church The
African Congregational Church
African Covenant Church
African Disciples of Christ
African Divine Church
African Evangelical Presbyterian Ch
African Faith Tabernacle Church
African Free Presb Church of Zimbabwe
African Full Gospel Church
African Gospel Church
African Holy Zionist Church
African Independent Church of Kenya
African Independent Pentecostal Church of Africa
African Interior Church
African National Church
African National/International Church.....
55.- 41,992 The rest of the A's through Z
41,993. Confrinting
41,994. Orville
41,995. 4GVN
41,996. OLDJG
41,997. justachristian1
41,998. New Age
41,999. Marge
42,000.+ Whomever on this forum that we missed
ALL have their own "self appointed popes and EACH ONE rely upon "inventing and creating" their own " relative truth-- which is "predicated upon" and determined by (personal interpretation of the bible and by "whichever way the political or social wind blows"---- supporting ABORTION, GAY MARRIAGE, EMBROYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH, EUTHENASIA, HOMOSEXUALITY, WOMAN MINISTERS, and on and on and on.
The "total reliance and basis" of EVERY ONE these 42,000+ Protestant beliefs, is to aggressively attack, THE TRUTH and to judge and condemn over 2000 years of the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church.
I am going to guess it took you 45 minutes to type all that above, and I didn't read one word of it.

Thanks for trying....
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#420059 Feb 4, 2013
BM and Mikey got their feelings hurt this afternoon and have been in a tizzy ever since. They can't stop posting, one after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other after the..........absolutely hysterical! Think I'll go get a snack. Anyone want to take bets on how many of their posts are in the fishbowl?
Garlic man

AOL

#420060 Feb 4, 2013
Hey Michael,
Wanna see who can eat the most garlic tonight?
truth

Perth, Australia

#420061 Feb 4, 2013
As we can see or read nobody can't have name..birth place and so on..did people liked commentators like that..no definitely not.Its so easy visible.

Yes we have name, birth place and where we come-from.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#420062 Feb 4, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
I support all victims of crime. I will stand against anyone with criminal intentions taking advantage anyone who ever they are.
and it is the tip of the iceburg.
192 priests/bishop litigants just in the Diocese of Los Angeles.$660 MILLION. Does that sound trivial?
Victims? Over 500. The tip of the iceburg.
I posted to you before that all the dioceses in Minnesota have had their share of abusive clergy. What the hell is going on??
These are the very clergy who taught people like you and me Anthony when we were young that we could never receive the eucharist with such sins on our souls, but for some reason that never applied to those clergy that abused and those that covered up these sins. They gave themselves the eucharist at every mass they said with full knowledge of what they were doing.
We know you love your church. We know the people are hurting, but unless you stop being made fools of and start speaking out to your church leaders, this will not go away for a long long time, and its nobodys fault but your own for being SILENT.
If your so concerned for children, you should link the protestant and public school discussion boards you've been commenting on so we can verify your story. You are on those other boards aren't you, because the problem is much worse in those other institutions and you wouldn't want us to believe you're a phony now would you Mike?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#420063 Feb 4, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Those that a BORN AGAIN...have the intelligence that (that Jesus said) would come from the Holy Ghost...

You secular ritualistic Constantinans do not have the leadership of the Holy Ghost...

Jesus said to the BORN AGAIN Christian,(those that follow Christ)

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

THE WORLD ..THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL ....(WHERE YOU EVIDENTLY GET YOUR INFORMATION) DOES NOT HAVE THE INPUT THAT JESUS SPOKE ABOUT HERE.

THE WORLD ..THE FLESH... AND THE DEVIL ...ONLY HAVE/GIVE INFORMATION..

GOD GIVE KNOWLEDGE...TO HIS SONS..

AND WE ARE (THE BORN OF THE SPIRIT) SONS...OF GOD...
___

Jesus said
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
___
As for being sons of God...

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Joh 1:12 ==> But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:<--

Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

___

it is a shame that you choose not to be RE-BIRTHED into the SPIRITUAL KINGDOM OF GOD...

IT IS TO YOUR OWN ETERNAL DETRIMENT THAT YOU REFUSE TO BE.

YOU HAVE THE SAME OPTION TO OBEY THE TRUTH....

AS EVERY ONE ELSE.

IF YOU MAKE YOUR BED IN HELL YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TRUTH...AND THEREFORE YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO IT.
~~~

SILENCE GIVES CONSENT

In perusing the ABOVE post I notice that no one challenged

IT

So evidently it is accepted as truth .
truth

Perth, Australia

#420064 Feb 4, 2013
We also read attacking Catholic and Christian church
every day as racist.. modern then ever but church will stay as it is..church is been before attack from similar very bad wishers.

O well drug alcohol and others problems, prostitute male female problem exist everywhere and on every city every corner trough world.
Abortion wars and so on.
Factory of all problems working too.
Laboratory too.
truth

Perth, Australia

#420065 Feb 4, 2013
verify
O well that have already before exist before we start wrote your justice system know in every country from any people.

seed=modern seed will be more problem

not because of sex or pleasure or any benificary..industry money..there nobody don't wanted be control..
by
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#420066 Feb 4, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>perhaps ROB, you can answer this.
why are practically ALL of catholic clerics, unfit to be in any pulpit.[topix censored what i really wanted to say, even tho they posted it yesterday,lol]?
does your church have any that dont fit that mold?
Preston, there was a brief time period while you were taking your antipsychotic meds that it was worth having a discussion with you. After you've gotten your prescription refilled let us know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 734,062
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Eagle 12 226,567
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 5 min Tender Mercies 4,167
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 9 min Jim Justice 118,137
Last Word + 2 10 min Tender Mercies 560
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min RADEKT 258,221
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 173,312
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Stephania capitani 600,207
•••
Enter and win $5000