Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
404,361 - 404,380 of 539,249 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419636 Feb 2, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
It's a lovely church, quite unique, built in the 1890s, many interesting items including portrait of St Thomas More... it has a regular congregation of over a thousand every Sunday, lots of young people. But it's not particularly famous, and is in a very quiet side-road, with no passing traffic. Canon Brockie said " I often think I'd like to sit down with some of the people, especially all the 20- and 30-somethings, and just ask how they came to know about the church and why they started coming to Mass." He added that all the central London churches get large congregations. "The media just don't get it - whenever they show a church they always tend to show it empty with just a few people who have dropped in to pray. They never show a church on an ordinary Sunday."
Posted by Joanna Bogle at 12:47 am
http://joannabogle.blogspot.com/
Within a very few years there will be more Muslims and Mosques than christians and christian churches in Britain.

Read all of this of what is going on in the entire western europe.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/2761/conver...
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#419637 Feb 2, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
To be clear Anthony. I don't care if its protestant ministers, jewish rabbis, walmart greeters, or boy scout leaders. If they have abused children or anyone and covered up to protect their empires and their own asses then they should all face the music.
Catholics have to be more vocal about their church leaders good or bad. Its long overdue.
Would you rather they be more like you and spend 24/7 on a discussion board sounding like a broken record or actually doing something, like, um, reducing the amount of abuse to an average of 7 per year or 0.00017 %.

Get a life Mike, quit spending your time obssessing over child sex.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419638 Feb 2, 2013
Former Roman Catholic wrote:
I was raised a Roman Catholic and once believed the RC Church was the one true church. I was taught one must be a Roman Catholic to have salvation and all others would go to hell, including Greek Catholics. Reading the Catholic Bible is what changed me. The truth is the Roman Catholic church has many beliefs and practices which are F-A-R from the truth found in the Bible. For all those who will read this post, examine the New Testament for yourself after you sincerely and humbly ask God for mercy and turn from your sins. Commit your life to Jesus to follow and serve him.
Sadly, if you were indeed raised Catholic and experienced the Holy Eucharist, and now turned your back to Him, you have committed a grave sin.

Having said that, only God can see into your soul. Only He knows the true reasons why you left. Only He can ultimately judge you.

The reasons you cited above are not sufficient. For you to say, " the Roman Catholic Church has many beliefs and practices which are from the truth found in the Bible", is faulty for many reasons.
1. All the RCC beliefs are found in the Bible. You're not allowed to authoritatively dictate whether they are or not.
2. The Church came first. Then the Bible (NT).
In fact, it existed yrs before any of the Apostles wrote. Some Books were the result of the Apostles writing to the Church. See, Church was already established.
3. By attempting to dictate for yourself what the Bible is saying, you're declaring yourself an authority. Even more so of an authority than the Pope. Even our Pope has to obey what was taught by the Apostles. This ensures us that the deposit of faith given 2,000 yrs ago by word of mouth and letter is eternally safeguarded from generation to generation. Christ protects the Magistrium of the Church from error when teaching on faith and morals.
This is called real faith...real trust in Jesus Christ. These conspiracy Christians like to believe Jesus abandoned His Church in 330 AD and waited another 1500 yrs to reveal His true Ministry via the printed Bible to the 'Born Again' movement.

I understand the temptation to join one of the 42,000 sects outside of the true Church. Heck, there is a whole buffet of Christianity to choose from, to adhere to whatever lifestyle fits. That's not what Christ established.

"Peter, you are the rock upon which I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"
Even If you were a true sola scripturest, you can see He started a Church. And the Devil will not prevail against her.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419639 Feb 2, 2013
US Catholic churches......Empty pews and empty coffers.

http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/...

1/3 of americans between 18-29 now consider themselves non religious.

... Our future generations!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#419640 Feb 2, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has EVER seen a Cardinal chastise another Cardinal in the public forum.
If Cardinal Mahony believes he hasn't done anything wrong then he should put ALL his cards on the table.
Remember Cardinals, bishops, priests........all have paying jobs because of you and all other catholics. Many catholics today believe they should have a little more input into the structure of the clergy and how it is governed. I believe that is long overdue.
My posts must really get you flustered because you always have to respond two or three times to each one.

Yes, public chastisement by a fellow bishop is very rare, they usually chew them out in private. But this is the new wave of conservative bishops assigned by the pope to root out the filth and liberals who were the cause of it all. It seems to me that every time the Churh does something positive it pisses you off, almost as though you're worried the object of your obssession is going away...

“The wicked are not smart”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#419641 Feb 2, 2013
I just finished reading the whole Gospel of Mark and I would like a Bible-only Christian to tell me how they know that this Gospel was actually written by Mark. Did I miss the chapter and verse where Mark claims authorship? If I did, can someone point the exact verse to me?
Thanks!
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#419642 Feb 2, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Actually, about 18 years ago, my mother was desperately worried over cancer. And I was for her too. She recovered and is still living..., to a very old age.
I think Jesus revealed to me his Mother about a year after this event, as a sign. She has been and is now so ever dear in my heart. And it was through the Rosary, I gained so much more knowledge insight into Jesus.
Oh, yes, Robert, without a doubt. I have a story in that regard too. The same thing happened....she brought me even closer to Christ. Padre Pio didn't call his rosary his "weapon" for nothing, lol! It's amazing, every time you say the rosary you can find a new meditation on the same mysteries. As you said, you gain more knowledge and insight, you go deeper and deeper, or at least the opportunity is there.

Great news about your mother, God bless her and keep her! I lost both my parents in the last seven years, it's awful without them.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419643 Feb 2, 2013
Former Roman Catholic wrote:
I was raised a Roman Catholic and once believed the RC Church was the one true church. I was taught one must be a Roman Catholic to have salvation and all others would go to hell, including Greek Catholics. Reading the Catholic Bible is what changed me. The truth is the Roman Catholic church has many beliefs and practices which are F-A-R from the truth found in the Bible. For all those who will read this post, examine the New Testament for yourself after you sincerely and humbly ask God for mercy and turn from your sins. Commit your life to Jesus to follow and serve him.
Thank you for posting that "F.R.C." I am so happy you found the truth. God Bless you.
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

#419644 Feb 2, 2013
Shabbot shalom People enjoy your sabbath.....

P.S. Yahweh is not A god.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419645 Feb 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you rather they be more like you and spend 24/7 on a discussion board sounding like a broken record or actually doing something, like, um, reducing the amount of abuse to an average of 7 per year or 0.00017 %.
Get a life Mike, quit spending your time obssessing over child sex.
You are back to defending them again!

You are a phony Anthony.......you haven't changed.

You tell us you own and operate two businesses yet you post throughout every week day/evening while you are suppose to be productive. If your employees were doing what you are doing they would be fired.

No wonder our best businesses have moved to china and lately vietnam, where business owners work a solid 8-12 hours a day, and none of them posting on religious sites.

You are why america is failing. Poor management, low production.

UNBELIEVABLE!

LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419646 Feb 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, if you were indeed raised Catholic and experienced the Holy Eucharist, and now turned your back to Him, you have committed a grave sin.
Having said that, only God can see into your soul. Only He knows the true reasons why you left. Only He can ultimately judge you.
The reasons you cited above are not sufficient. For you to say, " the Roman Catholic Church has many beliefs and practices which are from the truth found in the Bible", is faulty for many reasons.
1. All the RCC beliefs are found in the Bible. You're not allowed to authoritatively dictate whether they are or not.
In fact, it existed yrs before any of the Apostles wrote. Some Books were the result of the Apostles writing to the Church. See, Church was already established.
3. By attempting to dictate for yourself what the Bible is saying, you're declaring yourself an authority. Even more so of an authority than the Pope. Even our Pope has to obey what was taught by the Apostles. This ensures us that the deposit of faith given 2,000 yrs ago by word of mouth and letter is eternally safeguarded from generation to generation. Christ protects the Magistrium of the Church from error when teaching on faith and morals.
This is called real faith...real trust in Jesus Christ. These conspiracy Christians like to believe Jesus abandoned His Church in 330 AD and waited another 1500 yrs to reveal His true Ministry via the printed Bible to the 'Born Again' movement.
I understand the temptation to join one of the 42,000 sects outside of the true Church. Heck, there is a whole buffet of Christianity to choose from, to adhere to whatever lifestyle fits. That's not what Christ established.
"Peter, you are the rock upon which I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"
Even If you were a true sola scripturest, you can see He started a Church. And the Devil will not prevail against her.
You know what Clay, He didn't turn his back on Jesus .
He found Jesus, God opened his understand to the Holy Scripture.
Only The Holy Spirit can do that , not man .
F.R.C. did not join a sect, he was joined to the true vine. He became part of the body of Christ .
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419647 Feb 2, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay
Peace
Living in a rather rural area, I don't have the advantage of going to the High Mass. I have been to only one. It is something I will not forget. Very, very spiritually rich.
People on here really hate Dr Scott Hahn. Unfortunately.
But when I see a Mass like the Latin Sung Mass, I can't help but think of Hahns first thoughts (as an anti Catholic Bible scholar) visiting a Catholic Mass for the first time. He immediately recognized the Book of Revelation throughout the Eucharistic Liturgy. The incense; the Priest in a Robe; the prayers of the Saints; the Lamb of God; Holy, holy holy is the Lord God Almighty' are all found in the Mass.
He realized that the Apostle John was seeing Heaven meeting Earth and that's what happens at the Holy Mass with Christ becoming present in the bread and wine.
To me, this is all the more evident in the Latin Sung Mass. Its ancient, pure and unbelievably focused on the mystery about to take place as Christ becomes present in the Bread and Wine.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419648 Feb 2, 2013
You fool me not wrote:
I just finished reading the whole Gospel of Mark and I would like a Bible-only Christian to tell me how they know that this Gospel was actually written by Mark. Did I miss the chapter and verse where Mark claims authorship? If I did, can someone point the exact verse to me?
Thanks!
How do you know any of the 4 gospels were written by the names attached to them? You don't. If we don't have originals there is no way to verify anything. Anyone could have written anything and attached names....Remember more gospels were burned and discarded then the ones actually kept yet they all claimed to have been inspired by God, and how could any be discared if they believed they were writing about a real man who actually lived.... BUSTED!

..The only mention of a miracle man jesus and all the other characters in his story are ONLY mentioned in the NT. No one else from the entire mediteranean from that era including Jewish/Roman SCRIBES, WRITERS, PHILOSOPHERS, STATESMEN and GOVERNMENT officials NEVER mention ANY miracle man Jesus or any of the three dozen characters in the supposed 33 year story. Thats not good!

.......something is terribly wrong fool me not.

you might be a real fool.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419649 Feb 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how ex-Catholics love to talk about gettin' saved, guaranteed heaven and not going to hell by turning protestant, yet here they are live posting on a discussion board.
Yeah Anthony. Who wouldn't want guaranteed Heaven promised by the born again movement!

I told a story last week about a stripper falling off a balcony during a lap dance. She died. I read in the article a quote from her parents that she had 'gone home to the Lord'
Apparently they are OSAS believers...
This is what these knuckleheads have created with their false teachings.

Btw, someone said I lied about that story. So when I get home I'll try and post a link.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419650 Feb 2, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Actually, about 18 years ago, my mother was desperately worried over cancer. And I was for her too. She recovered and is still living..., to a very old age.
I think Jesus revealed to me his Mother about a year after this event, as a sign. She has been and is now so ever dear in my heart. And it was through the Rosary, I gained so much more knowledge insight into Jesus.
Rob, I am very glad your mother recovered from cancer.
Mary had nothing do with her healing, nor leading you to Jesus.
That was God.
Jesus would never have revealed you to His Mother, He taught all good things come from the Heavenly Father.
You said you read the Bible , Show me where Jesus ever told us to pray to His Mother , or to go to her when we need help getting through to him.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419651 Feb 2, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Amen Marge I was just thinking of that verse.

“The wicked are not smart”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#419652 Feb 2, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know any of the 4 gospels were written by the names attached to them? You don't. If we don't have originals there is no way to verify anything. Anyone could have written anything and attached names....Remember more gospels were burned and discarded then the ones actually kept yet they all claimed to have been inspired by God, and how could any be discared if they believed they were writing about a real man who actually lived.... BUSTED!
..The only mention of a miracle man jesus and all the other characters in his story are ONLY mentioned in the NT. No one else from the entire mediteranean from that era including Jewish/Roman SCRIBES, WRITERS, PHILOSOPHERS, STATESMEN and GOVERNMENT officials NEVER mention ANY miracle man Jesus or any of the three dozen characters in the supposed 33 year story. Thats not good!
.......something is terribly wrong fool me not.
you might be a real fool.
I asked for the answer from Sola Scriptura guys not from atheists, FOOL.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#419653 Feb 2, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
It's a lovely church, quite unique, built in the 1890s, many interesting items including portrait of St Thomas More... it has a regular congregation of over a thousand every Sunday, lots of young people. But it's not particularly famous, and is in a very quiet side-road, with no passing traffic. Canon Brockie said " I often think I'd like to sit down with some of the people, especially all the 20- and 30-somethings, and just ask how they came to know about the church and why they started coming to Mass." He added that all the central London churches get large congregations. "The media just don't get it - whenever they show a church they always tend to show it empty with just a few people who have dropped in to pray. They never show a church on an ordinary Sunday."
Posted by Joanna Bogle at 12:47 am
http://joannabogle.blogspot.com/
just wondering why you didn't answer my question? if a priest molested a child of yours would you still support the church like you do?
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#419654 Feb 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
He's just another fundie pretending to be a former Catholic giving false witness on a public forum. Yawn...,what else is new.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#419655 Feb 2, 2013
Hope everyone is having a Wonderful Sabbath !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Freebird USA 733,288
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Pegasus 258,092
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 18 min Stephania 600,026
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 31 min JUDEletePete 118,020
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 43 min KiMare 226,399
Restaurants in Pune 47 min sahasunil 1
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 58 min KiMare 94,694
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 2 hr Don 91
•••
Enter and win $5000