Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596707 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#418801 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I don't know either. Even though I'm Catholic, I'm not an authority on sacred scripture anyway. So I don't think its responsible to take a guess on it, if I don't know.... at least, not on a public forum where I could risk leading someone astray.
Try scripturecatholic.com
catholicanswers.com
or catholic.com
You had said saints were only in Heaven so who are the saints in the passage?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418802 Jan 29, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>If your looking for a denomination instead of the Church wether it be Catholic or Protestant you are searching in the wrong place.
The Catholic Church isn't a denomination just because people left them 1600 yrs later and turned around and said "now you guys are a denomination".
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418803 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Test the spirits. Does it agree with the bible?"
Seriously Hank, you've got to have a better system than that don't you think?
"test the spirits"

Is it convicting rather than CONDEMNING?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418804 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony,
Isaiah 9:16
16 Those who guide this people mislead them,
and those who are guided are led astray.
It was the priests and religious leaders who led in the crucifying of the Son of God.
Do you not believe that God made the mind of man and is fully capable of addressing man in words which man can understand???
Scripture teaches Church and authority. It doesn't teach private judgment of scripture.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#418805 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Ox, I think you're trying to imply something, but I'm not sure what.
I answered your question.
I don't believe the Church had a name until 'Catholic' was used. I doubt it was first used in 107 AD. I think it was earlier. None-the-less, 107 AD is the first documented usage.
The evidence of the word Catholic- describing the Church Christ started - was written by a disciple of the Apostle John.
He was ordained a Bishop by an actual Apostle.
So I highly doubt he'd make up a different church without Johns consent.
I'm glad you're reading the early Church fathers writings.
Most Protestant ignore them for obvious reasons.(the first century Church sounds really really Catholic)
You know exactly what I am saying by asking the question...that is why you will not answer it....can't fact the truth...

Fact: In your world, the church Christ built, did not become Catholic until Ingnasty named it so!!!!

Location hidden

#418806 Jan 29, 2013
708 688 685
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is....."
correct, that was the first documented usage. The first we have. 107 AD.
Was that the very first time it was ever used? Probably not. Ignatius used the title as if everyone already knew what it was.
I personally doubt it was used in 35AD or 55 AD because the Apostles would have used that title in their writings. I don't think the Church actually had a name until they grew.
Its good you're reading the writings of the Apostolic fathers Ox.
I did some research. "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is" means it was not used before that time...orally, written, scribbled, pasteurized, nor vulcanized...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418807 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture teaches Church and authority. It doesn't teach private judgment of scripture.
"test the spirits"

The apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians and told them that the message of the gospel is foolishness to the world.

If your teaching appeals to the world then we know that there must be a problem.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418808 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching that is popular with the world is NOT from God, it is from???

1 John 4:5

5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418809 Jan 29, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
New and improved? lol
Now I beseech you...that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." Paul, 1 Corinthians 1:10
I think all Protestants should read the preface of the first KJV where they admit they guessed at a lot of meanings and copied notes on Masorectic texts rather than the original text. Does your bible say in Hebrews to obey the book which is over you unless you determine what it says is different than someone else provided you can read. Read the books that were chosen out of some 50 different circulating gospels by some guys that werent really Christians and had no clue. Pick the books that you like and what you want it to mean, string some verses together from the books you deem acceptable as profitable scripture and call it a day. Everyone is inpired truth is in the eye of the beholder. Its so absurd its beyond reason.
It is absurd. Test the spirits? Read, interpret, judge and infallibly declare and teach scripture on your own? Anyone who wants to be a preacher can get ordained and start a church? I read somewhere that non-Catholic Christian and non-Christian groups around the world are amazed and disgusted with the watered down version of "Christianity" in modern American culture. Everyone is a paper pope, truth is relative.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418810 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"
Does it make me more like CHRIST?
How can you say someone who comes to different conclusions than you do about the bible by "testing the spirits" is wrong?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#418811 Jan 29, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
I want to ask our Catholic brethren a question. You guys tend to think that Peter was the foundation upon whom Christ built His church. You call Peter "the rock" if you may. However if the leaders of the RCC make Peter the Rock upon whom Christ built His church, ther what does that make Christ?
In Epehsians 2:20 Christ is called the CHIEF cornerstone and if Christ is the Chief Cornerstone upon whom all the Apostles and Prophets are built then how can Peter be the rock upon whom the church is built?
Either the Bible is lying or the leaders of the RCC is lying. Guess who is telling you lies. Hint,it isn't the Bible. Those of you that believe that Peter instead of Christ is the foundation upon which the church is built had better stop listening to the RCC leaders and read EPHESIANS 2;20
Not only is Jesus the chief cornerstone,HE is the Head of the Church,the Body.He is the fulfillment of the Godhead bodily.It is actually the Father-Son and Holy Spirit that HEADS the Body.The Church is the bride of Christ,Jesus is the futurehusband as the church will be finally joined to Him as in a grand wedding ceremony.

The Church for that matter should have a woman head the whole,but that is ridiculous.All who follow Christ are born of HIS S p i r i t,are part of the Bride.It makes more sense, that all the patriarchs of Christianity who share in the present leadership of all churches and denominations,SHARE in the Office of Saint Peter.If the Holy Spirit is truly in every group to lead by His Spirit,than that which PETER was to fulfill in leading while he lived,can be carried on to the present.

Since Peter is long gone from the scene,the whole Christian faith with all its leaders follow his example.ONLY the Holy Spirit can bring to mind and to date what the Apostle Peter was given way back than.

I doubt that a church that politically poluted Christianity,that also led an Inquisition of murder and complete control for 6 centuries,is the same church that the Apostle Peter would have wanted to see following his leadership.

It is the Holy Spirit who continues to bring that which ultimately JESUS wanted as the Head of His Church,and being the cornerstone which by the way the Jews disallowed or rejected.Com mon sense tells you that the Holy Spirit is not a murderer,a control freak,a person who says one thing and lives another.We have to use common sense to realize that any one of our organizations who used evil tactics to hold the body of Christ in submission,is not the one that Jesus promotes to continue to represent Him,He would have to confess to Sodom and Gommorah that He made a mistake in destroying them.Since Jesus is God He along with the Father and the Holy Spirit sent the ANGEL of the LORD to destroy those two wicked cities.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418812 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"
Is it convicting rather than CONDEMNING?
If one's testing of the spirits results in rejecting the teaching of the Church who gave us the bible where we get the teaching to begin with, I would say they are testing the wrong spirits.
marge

Ames, IA

#418813 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture teaches one first must be born-again to see the kingdom of heaven.

Only then can one pick a church and know who teaches truth.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418814 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you say someone who comes to different conclusions than you do about the bible by "testing the spirits" is wrong?
The Holy Spirit does not lead one into doctrinal error and false unbiblical practices.
marge

Ames, IA

#418815 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching that is popular with the world is NOT from God, it is from???
1 John 4:5
5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.
John 3:12
But if you don't believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things?
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#418816 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit does not lead one into doctrinal error and false unbiblical practices.
Hank, do you believe that we are justified by faith alone?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418817 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"
The apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians and told them that the message of the gospel is foolishness to the world.
If your teaching appeals to the world then we know that there must be a problem.
You don't realize that the world at the time was pagan. The best thing you can do to help you with your bible study is to try and understand the context of St. Paul's writings, why he was writing to certain Churches, what problems they were dealing with, recognize St. Paul was writing pastoral letters of instruction and encouragement, etc.

I think that's part of the problem with modern protestantism because for some reason they think they are the ones to whom St. Paul was writing, not realing that he would have considered your teachings heretical and warned the Catholic Christians to stay away from you.

Location hidden

#418818 Jan 29, 2013
One issue that is very damaging to idea of a Pope is the fact that some of the popes were so depraved, even people who professed no religion at all were ashamed of them.

Looking into the history of the papacy, it is easy to see that not all popes were holy men. Accusations against them included but were not limited to blasphemy, simony (the buying and selling of the papal office), perjury, murder, adultery, intercourse with virgins and nuns, incest, sodomy, bestiality, robbery, idolatry, magic, infidelity, and gross and unnatural immorality.

Historians, even Roman Catholic historians will even attest to the fact there have been many sinful popes. Therefore, if popes are supposed to be the "representatives of Christ" here on earth and they are living an immoral lifestyle, should their commands still be obeyed if they are living in sin? No, it would be hypocritical for them to make rulings and decrees, and yet this is exactly what has been done by the popes
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418820 Jan 29, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture teaches one first must be born-again to see the kingdom of heaven.
Only then can one pick a church and know who teaches truth.
So which protestant church is it marge?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#418821 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church isn't a denomination just because people left them 1600 yrs later and turned around and said "now you guys are a denomination".
The Catholic church has yet to be judged,since many Catholics claim it still with its hideous sins against humanity remains the bride of Christ.YET always within the ranks of your organization and even with those who met in secret,there were b e l i e v e r s who stayed pure and holy,sacrificed all to serve Him,and even laid down their lives for Him.Those are the ones of the true and living BRIDE. You see Clay we would do better to stop calling the church by a title of any organization,but rather the future BRIDE of Christ.

The Bride must be chaste and walk in accordance to the Will of God,not of Man.

I see believers in every group or affiliation who walk with HIM,and are chaste ready to serve the Living Lord,and to embrace their future husband.

I do not know of too many men even amongst sinners who would marry a whore over a woman who has morals.Its all about being driven by either the Lord or this world.

Since thousands of believers throughout history rejected your church system,they cannot be held responsible for those sins that the RCC commited while claiming to be the Bride of Christ,and so on.God is not stupid nor is His Son a push over,HE will judge rightly,and weigh history,and see that He has had many believers who did not bow to the Roman Catholic Church in those 6 centuries that no doubt turned the stomach of God our Father.

God knows who are His,even in every affiliation,yours included,and He knows who were His during the Inquisition years,and beyond.He knows that His church is the Believers not some man-made organization of religious/political power seekers.

In the END Clay,it is all about HIM,and His Spirit,and His Mind that should be in us.It does not take a Rocket Scientist to know that an organization cannot duplicate what is spiritual,holy and miraculous in CHRIST.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Charlie Sheen 272,105
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min ChristineM 855,926
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 13 min ChristineM 444,368
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 33 min I am virgin 291
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr The_Box 1,082
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ricky F 53,431
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 100,770
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Epiphany2 612,656
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr Henry_Joseph 177,231
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 hr winthanga 7,341
More from around the web