Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
403,461 - 403,480 of 537,035 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418708
Jan 28, 2013
 
Oxbow wrote:
688 685
<quoted text>
When was the word “Catholic” first used?
The first usage of the word “Catholic,” we have, is from the pen of St. Ignatius of Antioch. Around the year AD. 107 Ignatius was sentenced to death by lions in the Coliseum. As he was being escorted to Rome he wrote a famous series of letters to different Churches.
In his letter to the Church at Smyrna he wrote,
“Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. The celebration of the Eucharist is valid only if it is administered by the bishop or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Where the bishop is, there let the people also be; just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”
Notice: First usage of, etc etc
So....why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
You said, "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is....."

correct, that was the first documented usage. The first we have. 107 AD.
Was that the very first time it was ever used? Probably not. Ignatius used the title as if everyone already knew what it was.
I personally doubt it was used in 35AD or 55 AD because the Apostles would have used that title in their writings. I don't think the Church actually had a name until they grew.
Its good you're reading the writings of the Apostolic fathers Ox.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418709
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they tried 'Southern Baptist Convention' for 80 years and decided it attracted too many inbred crackers, and decided Catholic (universal) was more inclusive.
Lol!
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418710
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said you Roman Catholics are like a bunch of spoiled brats...;
You evidently believe you are exempt from following the commandments of God..
You treat God like a bunch of sassy delinquent juveniles and demand of Him.. WHY?
The answer is.... BECAUSE HE SAID SO...
YOU DON'T NEED TO DEMAND A REASON FROM HIM OR ATTEMPT TO RUB HIS NOSE IN WHAT HE HAS DONE....
YOUR SOULS HANG IN THE BALANCE...GOD DON'T NEED TO ANSWER TO YOU FOR WHAT HE DOES...
HE IS GOD...NOT SOME HATED PROTESTANT...
IF YOU CONTINUE TO INSULT HIM WITH YOUR CONSISTENT DISOBEDIENCE TO HIS WORD?
THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL HEAR.
Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,
---> Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Sooo, you didn't answer my question.
Why did God command Israel to carve images of Angels?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418711
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
you wrote..
"You're not God, you don't speak for Him, you have no authority to interpret His Word, and you have not been called or sent."
If you can find a reason (and you have none) to hate the messenger then you can disregard the message.
I WAS CALLED OF GOD AS A CHILD...AND I AM SENT...I AM AN ORDAIED BISHOP.
"NOT ONLY THAT ...MY MIDDLE NAME IS ....BISHOP...
DEFINED AS KEEPER OF THE CHURCH."
It's your eternal soul that you are playing guessing games with.
I have given you GOD'S WORD...NOT MY OWN..
Eze_18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit:
for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
WHY DO YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS CHOOSE THE SECOND DEATH....
ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM GOD?
WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN TO DIE.?
You don't speak for God. Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles. If you really want to give me God's written Word, I'll give you my address and you can mail me a bible. But please don't send me one of your abridged protestant versions.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418712
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Being silly does not answer my question...
Why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
Actually it's more fun to ridicule your stupid questions than it is to play word games with you. Hey, someone should tell John Hagee that fried chicken and corn bread isn't a breakfast food, I'm kinda concerned for him....

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418713
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't speak for God. Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles. If you really want to give me God's written Word, I'll give you my address and you can mail me a bible. But please don't send me one of your abridged protestant versions.
~~~
You wrote

Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles.

God called me as a Child and has directed my life for 78 years...

For you information God existed before the Apostles..or did you know that...

God's Church is as old as God is...

Peter did not invent it..nor was it built upon Peter.

The church existed in the wilderness...under Moses

Act_7:38 This is he, that was in

===>the church in the wilderness <==with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

You need to learn about God and forget your Constantine-ism...
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418714
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means after personally interpreting the bible, then disagreeing with your pastor, another protestant leaves and buys another vacant convenience store and starts a new denomination, making him/herself a paper pope.
That hardly ever happens where im from just the opposite, many many pasters sent out with the same Message of Truth.

They received the Truth from above for themselves, just like we taught them.

Interpretation from above.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418715
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
You wrote
Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles.
God called me as a Child and has directed my life for 78 years...
For you information God existed before the Apostles..or did you know that...
God's Church is as old as God is...
Peter did not invent it..nor was it built upon Peter.
The church existed in the wilderness...under Moses
Act_7:38 This is he, that was in
===>the church in the wilderness <==with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
You need to learn about God and forget your Constantine-ism...
~~~

The Dynasty of David cannot be continued with gentiles

Peter was not a descendent of David...

Your bogus creation of a so called Church has no scriptural authority.

Jesus did not continue a physical kingdom...If he had James the brother of Jesus would have ascended to the throne...and continued the dynasty of David...

Jesus established a Spiritual kingdom and the authority of HIS KINGDOM was upon His brother James ..who was the head of the Church is Jerusalem.

When Jesus returns to the earth ...Then and only then will HE SET UP HIS KINGDOM IN JERUSALEM...and He will rule the earth with a rod of Iron...

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418716
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
A: the wrong interpretation of what he (Jesus) taught.
Men have erred.
Then the angels have erred in your world as well then huh because Hebrews chapter 1 gives a clear picture that the angels were told to worship Christ.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418717
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
A: the wrong interpretation of what he (Jesus) taught.
Men have erred.
Here. This verse shows that if men have erred in the worship of Christ than so have the angels for angels were told to worship him.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjva/hebrews/1...

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418718
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's more fun to ridicule your stupid questions than it is to play word games with you. Hey, someone should tell John Hagee that fried chicken and corn bread isn't a breakfast food, I'm kinda concerned for him....
~~~

You best be concerned about your self..and your ungodly paganism..
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418719
Jan 28, 2013
 
Oxbow wrote:
639
<quoted text>
You can deny until you are blue in the face...it will not change the facts:
604 552 500
You have proven my point:
Mt 16:8 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Your vain words do not change the definition of the word "church"..He did not establish a denomination.....which is what the Catholic religion is.....a denomination..
You have proven "nothing, which is no surprise to ANY of us Catholics!!!!!Your idea of "facts" are nothing but more of the "same old" anti-catholic bible only Protestant propaganda of "myths and legends" that you "desperately" are hanging on to, in order to keep your bible only boat from sinking further and further into oblivious. Again---The Greek word for "Church" is ecclesia which means heirarchical, authoritative , visible Church ---Acts 2 with Bishops, priests, elder and deacons. You Protestants have become "experts" at "making things up" (inventing and creating your own "personal (fictitious) history stories)--- as you go along to support your "bogus anti-catholic vengeance and hostility. Your 42,000 inconsistent and contradicting protestant DENOMINATIONS began with (1) Luther,(2)Zwingli,(3) Knox,(4) Calvin,(5) Cranmer (6)Wycliff (7) Hedio (8) Flacius and on and on and on for over 450 years. What you fail to understand, is that I lived this bible only Protestant, distortion, heretical lie anjd deceit--- for over 35 years before coming to the Historical and Biblical TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His Saving Grace of Salvation in and through His One True Apostolic Catholic Church. You, Oxbox, are fooling "no-one" but yourself with this bible only "relative truth myth" of Protestantism, which has "absolutely (no basis) of biblical or historical truth to back up "ANY" of its beliefs. Get spiritually educated to the TRUTH and read TRUE CHURCH HISTORY, instead of "making up things" to appease you hostility, vengeance and hatred for the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His (ONLY) One True Catholic Church!!! Then---you might learn something!!!!
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418721
Jan 28, 2013
 
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
God called me as a Child and has directed my life for 78 years...
God does not call "ANYONE" as a disciple, minister, preacher, or teacher to spread condenmation, judgment toward other Christians, and hostile hate against other brothers and sisters in Christ.
Matthew 12:33 "A tree is known by its fruit. A good tree produced good fruit. For a mans heart is determined by his speech. An evil hearted man is filled with venom and his speech reveals it. Your words of condemnation and judgment reflect your fate. Either you will justified by them or you will be condemned."
Galations 6:7 "Be not deceived for God is not mocked. For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap!!
You, Confrinting--do not speak for God. God does not call condemning, and judgmental preachers and ministers to do his work of bringing dis-unity, division, and disharmony to the body of Christian followers and believers in Jesus Christ!!

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418722
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

preston wrote:
<quoted text>for tony, maybe he can enlighten am who thought that elijah carried the Ark by himself.
What was the estimated weight of the ark of the covenant and the mercy seat?
Answer
The Bible says that the Ark was 2 1/2 cubits long, 1 cubit wide and 1 1/2 cubits high, and made from shittim wood, heavily overlaid with gold, with silver adornments. The mercy seat was said to have been 2 1/2 cubits long and 1 1/2 cubits wide, and made of pure gold (Exodus 25:17 "Mercy seat of pure gold" KJV), as were the two cherubim that surrounded it (Exodus 25:18 "two cherubim of gold, of beaten work" KJV). Since gold is roughly twice as heavy as lead, the structure would have weighed several tonnes.
another answer.
The Christian Bible and Jewish Torah describes the Ark as being COVERED all over with the purest gold, NOT MADE OF PURE GOLD. The Ark was, according to the Bible, made of shittah-tree wood (acacia). This can be all found spelled out very clearly in the book of Exodus 25:10-11. It would have been somewhat heavy and several bearers would have been required to carry it.
Some sources indicate that Egyptian gold, during Pharaohic times, was "pure" to a degree of up to 23K. Giving the craftsmen of the day the benefit of being able to purify to this degree gives a theoretical basis for relative gold weight. Sources also point out that taking the dimensions and design specifications that are laid out in Exodus, assuming a gold density of 1061 lbs (481.26Kg) per cubic foot, and a gold overlay method available to craftsmen of the day of 0.02cm, a total Ark weight of approximately 183lbs./83Kg can be ascertained. This is a very manageable weight for the bearers of the Ark to carry and far less than the weight of "tons" that has been suggested.
so take your pick, but one thing is obvious, it either would have been to heavy for one man to carry or it would still have been to bulky.
and so once again, tony's mentor show how ignorant that he is and always has been
Calm down sonny. Let's not make a religion out my statement that I stated that my pastor told us about the ark.

My pastor told us that it was "HIS OPINION" that the ark was carried back to heaven with Elijah when he was taken up in the whirlwind in the chariot. He told us not to ask him to document this because it was merely his educated, Spiritual driven opinion but that he couldn't document it from scripture so as I stated don't make a religion out of the comments.

However I would advise you to do deep research on the chariots of Israel. These were the vehicles that took Elijah up and hint...THEY WEREN'T HORSE DRAWN.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418723
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means after personally interpreting the bible, then disagreeing with your pastor, another protestant leaves and buys another vacant convenience store and starts a new denomination, making him/herself a paper pope.
'paper pope' my heiny.
You romanists always vainly imagine any denomination as being led by an imitator of your old elected figurehead!
And again, you're wrong, and Marge is right. If they read the Bible FOR THEMSELVES, asking the help of the Holy Spirit for proper discernment, THEY WOULD LEAVE THE ROMANIST CULT.
Their eyes would be opened to God's truths, and they would finally SEE how romanism has been lying to them.

So take your 'paper popoe' crap and flush it accordingly.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418724
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

708
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is....."
correct, that was the first documented usage. The first we have. 107 AD.
Was that the very first time it was ever used? Probably not. Ignatius used the title as if everyone already knew what it was.
I personally doubt it was used in 35AD or 55 AD because the Apostles would have used that title in their writings. I don't think the Church actually had a name until they grew.
Its good you're reading the writings of the Apostolic fathers Ox.
Afraid of the truth??? Why are you not answering my question??

Why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418725
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they tried 'Southern Baptist Convention' for 80 years and decided it attracted too many inbred crackers, and decided Catholic (universal) was more inclusive.
WOW, are you pathetic!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418726
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

712
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's more fun to ridicule your stupid questions than it is to play word games with you. Hey, someone should tell John Hagee that fried chicken and corn bread isn't a breakfast food, I'm kinda concerned for him....
Afraid of the truth???

Being silly does not answer my question...
Why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418727
Jan 28, 2013
 
719
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You have proven "nothing, which is no surprise to ANY of us Catholics!!!!!Your idea of "facts" are nothing but more of the "same old" anti-catholic bible only Protestant propaganda of "myths and legends" that you "desperately" are hanging on to, in order to keep your bible only boat from sinking further and further into oblivious. Again---The Greek word for "Church" is ecclesia which means heirarchical, authoritative , visible Church ---Acts 2 with Bishops, priests, elder and deacons. You Protestants have become "experts" at "making things up" (inventing and creating your own "personal (fictitious) history stories)--- as you go along to support your "bogus anti-catholic vengeance and hostility. Your 42,000 inconsistent and contradicting protestant DENOMINATIONS began with (1) Luther,(2)Zwingli,(3) Knox,(4) Calvin,(5) Cranmer (6)Wycliff (7) Hedio (8) Flacius and on and on and on for over 450 years. What you fail to understand, is that I lived this bible only Protestant, distortion, heretical lie anjd deceit--- for over 35 years before coming to the Historical and Biblical TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His Saving Grace of Salvation in and through His One True Apostolic Catholic Church. You, Oxbox, are fooling "no-one" but yourself with this bible only "relative truth myth" of Protestantism, which has "absolutely (no basis) of biblical or historical truth to back up "ANY" of its beliefs. Get spiritually educated to the TRUTH and read TRUE CHURCH HISTORY, instead of "making up things" to appease you hostility, vengeance and hatred for the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His (ONLY) One True Catholic Church!!! Then---you might learn something!!!!
639
You can deny the truth until you are blue in the face...it will not change the facts:
604 552 500

Mt 16:8 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Your vain words do not change the definition of the word "church"..He did not establish a denomination.....which is what the Catholic religion is.....a denomination..

To perpetuate your un-christian Vatacan teaching, you have to change a noun (church) to a proper noun (Church)...which amounts to changing Scripture to make it say what you erroneously want it to say........

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#418728
Jan 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The RCC claims that the Pope is the Vicar of Christ i.e., Christs' representative here on earth is nothing but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. The only representative that Christ left here on Earth was none other but the Holy Spirit not some mere mortal man like a so called Pope. The following verse shows us where Christ spoke of whom He was sending back when He returned to the Father.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjva/john/14-2...

Now if the Pope claims that he is Christ's representative on earth then he is a liar and the truth ain't in him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••