Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
402,921 - 402,940 of 532,836 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
090 070 065
<quoted text>
You, evidently, have not been following this thread. Catholics on this forum have said, over and over, that Christ is God and God is Christ...including Clay..They have provided tons of Scripture that they insist supports their belief!!!!!???? Hello!!!!!
I hope that every Catholic who denies that Christ is the Incarnate Son of God, reads this absolute truth...
"If you don't subscribe to the Teaching that Jesus Christ is the Incarnate Son of God, you are NOT Catholic. You cannot be.
In rejecting that Teaching, you place yourself outside of the Church."
Thank you for your support...
???

You seem to be taking two opposing views at the same time ...
???
Is it possible ... you are committing (unconsciously) the common American error of saying (thinking) "God" when you really mean "the Father?"
(To everyone else: No. I am NOT saying "The Father is not God." What I am saying is that for many Americans, when we say the word "God," we are really thinking of "God he Father."
As in "Jesus died on th cross in obedience to God's will."
That should more correctly be : "Jesus died on the cross in obedience to the will of the Father."

(ALSO ***not*** saying that the will of Jesus or the Holy Spirit was somehow different.)

If Oxbow is reading "Jesus is God" to mean "Jesus is God the Father," then his objection becomes obviously correct.
Jesus is ONE WITH the Father, but is NOT the Father, nor is He the Holy Spirit, yet He is ONE WITH the Holy Spirit.
ONE God.
THREE Persons.
(Notice I did not say "THREE distinct Persons.")
You could probably say it that way, but you would have to be very cautious about what you mean ... since they are in fact One, which in English does not jibe well with the connotations of "distinct."
The Father did not die on the Cross.
The Holy Spirit did not rise from the dead.
God DID DO both of these things, in the Person of Jesus, who is God the Son.
There.
That's as much as I can guess as to the source of the confusion with Oxbow.
If he means something ELSE, I have no idea how it would fit with Christianity ...
Rob
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>and that simply put, is WHY it was considered a miracle.
do you really believe that God had sexual intercourse with Mary, fertilizing her egg, making Jesus half man/ half God?
I dont. because if that occured, that would be exactly what Jesus would have been.
Half man/half God?? Eeeek! Not good, Preston. That's another ancient heresy.

Christ is truly God and truly man in every sense except sin. He's not split in half.

Re fertilization: the Holy Spirit didn't have intercourse with the Blessed Virgin. Being God, physical sex, in the way that we understand it, was not required in order to fertilize her egg. However, it was indeed fertilized, the same effect occurred just as if intercourse was involved. Anything else means Jesus wasn't truly human, therefore we weren't redeemed.

Since the Blessed Mother was His only human parent, Christ's DNA comes from His mother, His blood is hers.
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

You Sheeple don't have a clue as to who you are worshiping first lets start with.

Revelation 12 /9 the whole world is deceived. Do you think because you are a christian or a catholic this does not pertain to you.

How many of you have reverenced the creator....

Only a few are called and chosen to understand ....

Yahweh is not A god he never was one but man changed his name and made him A god.the very thing he warns you not to worship god and or gods so what do you do you worship A god....

Yahweh Is not A god.......Now continue on with your lies and the tickling of each others ears....as for me I tell it like it is And how the roman catholick church is the woman the beast that sits on seven hills named after seven different god.and is without a teacher but for satan. How she has changed the sabbath and changed the laws..... Not one of you can prove this to be un true so what do you do you over look it....because you are not willing to give up your sin.....
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I realize that this isnt facebook, however, to show a picture of a little baby sometimes turns the insults, fangs showing and so on, into all of us forgetting those displays and becoming human beings with soemthing in common.
I hope that you understand that reasoning, because that is why I put it up there, but never mind, you can now look at my ugly mug instead of a beautiful baby boy, as I do what I do best.
SITTING.
Who is she, the board monitor? Put the baby's picture back up.
Btw, he does resemble you. He's already got a bit of a ticked off look on his little face (or is that gas?). I just want to eat him up, he's so cute.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>No, her pregnancy was miraculous.
the word [conceive] means a beginning of her pregnancy with the Christ child.it doesnt mean that God had sexual relations with Mary, Get Real!!!!
"you shall conceive in your womb " "for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."

God placing an embryo in her womb would mean the conception took place outside her womb. No, God did not have relations with her, the Holy Spirit overshadowed her which was the cause of the miraculous conception. Look up the ancient meaning of "overshadow".
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
An egg must be fertilized first.
"The chromosomes of the oocyte and sperm are...respectively enclosed within female and male pronuclei. These pronuclei fuse with each other to produce the single, diploid, 2N nucleus of the fertilized zygote. This moment of zygote formation may be taken as the beginning or zero time point of embryonic development."
[Larsen, William J. Human Embryology. 2nd edition. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1997, p. 17]
"The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."
[Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3]
"Embryo: The early developing fertilized egg that is growing into another individual of the species. In man the term 'embryo' is usually restricted to the period of development from fertilization until the end of the eighth week of pregnancy."
[Walters, William and Singer, Peter (eds.). Test-Tube Babies. Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1982, p. 160]
http://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/em...
Lever it to Peanut to tell percy about the Birds and the Bee's .......... ROTFLOL
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Half man/half God?? Eeeek! Not good, Preston. That's another ancient heresy.
Christ is truly God and truly man in every sense except sin. He's not split in half.
Re fertilization: the Holy Spirit didn't have intercourse with the Blessed Virgin. Being God, physical sex, in the way that we understand it, was not required in order to fertilize her egg. However, it was indeed fertilized, the same effect occurred just as if intercourse was involved. Anything else means Jesus wasn't truly human, therefore we weren't redeemed.
Since the Blessed Mother was His only human parent, Christ's DNA comes from His mother, His blood is hers.
Joseph and mary had sex. Yahweh is not going to trespass against another woman and put a seed into her.... Yahshua And Yahweh keep the laws. Virgin mary what a lie...... This is what is wrong with the world People interpenetrating the scripture in their own way.Understanding of the scripture only comes fro the reverence of Yahweh not no man made god....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

132 104 092
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Full of Love, a non-Catholic, quite obviously has taken the same approach to his faith as you have and concluded differently-both of you employ the Bible alone and interpret same yourself.
You two have come to completely different conclusions respective to the Trinity. One of you is wrong, or both of you are wrong.
How do you know who is correct?
I am not interpreting the Bible...I am being led to its truth by the Holy Spirit, as promised by Christ...

You have missed the point...My discussion is not on the Holy Trinity...it is on the erroneous beliefs of Catholics on this forum that Christ is God and God is Christ.

The Catholic religion teaches that Christ is the Incarnate Son of God...SBC teaches Christ is the Son of God..this, as I have shown is supported by Scripture, I firmly believe it.

This has zilch to do with the Trinity,as you erroneously believe...

Do you believe the teaching of the Catholics and the SBC on this matter??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

133 093
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the deity of Christ biblical?"
Answer: In addition to Jesus’ specific claims about Himself, His disciples also acknowledged the deity of Christ. They claimed that Jesus had the right to forgive sins—something only God can do—as it is God who is offended by sin (Acts 5:31; Colossians 3:13; Psalm 130:4; Jeremiah 31:34). In close connection with this last claim, Jesus is also said to be the one who will “judge the living and the dead”(2 Timothy 4:1). Thomas cried out to Jesus,“My Lord and my God!”(John 20:28). Paul calls Jesus “great God and Savior”(Titus 2:13) and points out that prior to His incarnation Jesus existed in the “form of God”(Philippians 2:5-8). God the Father says regarding Jesus:“Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever”(Hebrews 1:8). John states that “in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word [Jesus] was God”(John 1:1). Examples of Scriptures that teach the deity of Christ are many (see Revelation 1:17, 2:8, 22:13; 1 Corinthians 10:4; 1 Peter 2:6-8; Psalm 18:2, 95:1; 1 Peter 5:4; Hebrews 13:20), but even one of these is enough to show that Christ was considered to be God by His followers.
Jesus is also given titles that are unique to YHWH (the formal name of God) in the Old Testament. The Old Testament title “redeemer”(Psalm 130:7; Hosea 13:14) is used of Jesus in the New Testament (Titus 2:13; Revelation 5:9). Jesus is called Immanuel—“God with us”—in Matthew 1. In Zechariah 12:10, it is YHWH who says,“They will look on me, the one they have pierced.” But the New Testament applies this to Jesus’ crucifixion (John 19:37; Revelation 1:7). If it is YHWH who is pierced and looked upon, and Jesus was the one pierced and looked upon, then Jesus is YHWH. Paul interprets Isaiah 45:22-23 as applying to Jesus in Philippians 2:10-11. Further, Jesus’ name is used alongside God’s in prayer “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ”(Galatians 1:3; Ephesians 1:2). This would be blasphemy if Christ were not deity. The name of Jesus appears with God's in Jesus' commanded to baptize “in the name [singular] of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 28:19; see also 2 Corinthians 13:14).
Actions that can be accomplished only by God are credited to Jesus. Jesus not only raised the dead (John 5:21, 11:38-44) and forgave sins (Acts 5:31, 13:38), He created and sustains the universe (John 1:2; Colossians 1:16-17). This becomes even clearer when one considers YHWH said He was alone during creation (Isaiah 44:24). Further, Christ possesses attributes that only deity can have: eternality (John 8:58), omnipresence (Matthew 18:20, 28:20), omniscience (Matthew 16:21), and omnipotence (John 11:38-44).
Now, it is one thing to claim to be God or to fool someone into believing it is true, and something else entirely to prove it to be so. Christ offered many miracles as proof of His claim to deity. Just a few of Jesus' miracles include turning water to wine (John 2:7), walking on water (Matthew 14:25), multiplying physical objects (John 6:11), healing the blind (John 9:7), the lame (Mark 2:3), and the sick (Matthew 9:35; Mark 1:40-42), and even raising people from the dead (John 11:43-44; Luke 7:11-15; Mark 5:35). Moreover,
Edited f or space...

What a completely asinine question!!!! Quote: Is the deity of Christ biblical? You, evidently, live so far back in the woods, there is not enough pipe to pipe in some sunshine to you!!!!

Christ is the Son of God...He is the Second Person in the Holy Trinity...He is the Incarnate Son of God....

I, evidently, have been mistaken in thinking that all Christians knew this!!!...I was wrong!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

137 108 093
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>A minature inverter/converter is always a great means to learn something new.
and when we look at your word description(embodied) we find that it totally agrees with what I have been saying about an egg of mary was NEVER used by God as far as Jesus was concerned.
em·bod·y (m-bd)
tr.v. em·bod·ied, em·bod·y·ing, em·bod·ies
1. To give a bodily form to;
NOTICE THAT IT SAYS TO GIVE A BODILY FORM.
AN EGG IS JUST THAT, AN EGG, AND LIKE i HAVE SAID TIME AND TIME AGAIN, AN EGG CAN NOT IN AND OF ITSELF PRODUCES A BODY.LOL
BUT THE EMBRYO DOES.
You need help. Until you do, don't play with matches or sharp objects!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Look again...
9 You, however, live not by your natural inclinations, but by the Spirit, since the
Spirit of God
has made a home in you. Indeed, anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ
does not belong to him
http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php...
"The Spirit of Christ"...
not..
The Spirit 'Given to' Christ...
Questions?
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/jesus_christ...
Last call..

You evidently did not understand my request..

The Holy Trinity: God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Show me this Trinity that expresses your belief that God is Christ and that Christ is God.
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

You sheeple don't get it do you......

MAN CHANGED HIS NAME AND MADE HIM A GOD THE LAWS WERE NEVER DONE AWAY WITH.

Just another lie told by the church Because the laws are not kept we live in the most sinful nation on the earth.

YAHWEH IS NOT A GOD AND NONE OF YOU CAN PROVE THIS WRONG BUT YOU CONTINUE YOUR GOD WORSHIP

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
???
???
Is it possible ... you are committing (unconsciously) the common American error of saying (thinking) "God" when you really mean "the Father?"
(To everyone else: No. I am NOT saying "The Father is not God." What I am saying is that for many Americans, when we say the word "God," we are really thinking of "God he Father."
That should more correctly be : "Jesus died on the cross in obedience to the will of the Father."
(ALSO ***not*** saying that the will of Jesus or the Holy Spirit was somehow different.)
If Oxbow is reading "Jesus is God" to mean "Jesus is God the Father," then his objection becomes obviously correct.
Jesus is ONE WITH the Father, but is NOT the Father, nor is He the Holy Spirit, yet He is ONE WITH the Holy Spirit.
ONE God.
THREE Persons.
You could probably say it that way, but you would have to be very cautious about what you mean ... since they are in fact One, which in English does not jibe well with the connotations of "distinct."
There.
If he means something ELSE, I have no idea how it would fit with Christianity ...
Rob
What else needs to be said???

090 070 065

You, evidently, have not been following this thread. Catholics on this forum have said, over and over, that Christ is God and God is Christ...including Clay..They have provided tons of Scripture that they insist supports their belief!!!!!???? Hello!!!!!

I hope that every Catholic who denies that Christ is the Incarnate Son of God, reads this absolute truth...

"If you don't subscribe to the Teaching that Jesus Christ is the Incarnate Son of God, you are NOT Catholic. You cannot be.
In rejecting that Teaching, you place yourself outside of the Church."

Thank you for your support...
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

That was just stupid Yahshua Is the son And Yahweh is the father they are not the same and anyone who thinks they are the same might need to find a mental facility and quick.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
???
???
ONE God.
THREE Persons.
There.
Rob
I'd also thought that's what he meant, but with him you can never tell.

I often use the word "distinct" to describe the three divine persons because that's how it was taught to me by the good Sisters.

254 The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is Triune.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p2.htm
Fun Facts

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
6 As proof that you are children,* God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out,“Abba, Father!”d
http://www.usccb.org/bible/galatians/4

9 But you are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you. Whoever does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.g
http://www.usccb.org/bible/romans/8
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
133 093
<quoted text>
Edited f or space...
What a completely asinine question!!!! Quote: Is the deity of Christ biblical? You, evidently, live so far back in the woods, there is not enough pipe to pipe in some sunshine to you!!!!
Christ is the Son of God...He is the Second Person in the Holy Trinity...He is the Incarnate Son of God....
I, evidently, have been mistaken in thinking that all Christians knew this!!!...I was wrong!!!!
The question was Oxbow is Jesus God, the answer is yes He is God .
Very much so. The Father is God, the son is God, and the Holy Spirit is good.
3 persons but one Holy God.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, He was fully man and fully God.
A supposition that was decided upon by men.

No proof to such occurence.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
His conception was miraculous.
No proof of such occurence.

BTW - if you think "faith" is the answer - then you have now brought into the mix - Self.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's make a deal NASaL. You stop trying to blow gnosticism up everyone's behind, and I'll stop making fun of it.
Conjecture.

You mistaken truth for some fantasy.

Grow-up.
Fun Facts

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
The question was Oxbow is Jesus God, the answer is yes He is God .
Very much so. The Father is God, the son is God, and the Holy Spirit is good.
3 persons but one Holy God.
Amen...

The Commissioning of the Disciples.*
16f The eleven* disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them.
17* When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted.
18* g Then Jesus approached and said to them,“All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

19h Go, therefore,* and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,

20i teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.* And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”
http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/28

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

669 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Aura Mytha 224,197
Satan the Devil: Spiritual Father of homosexuals 5 min Doctor REALITY 1
Homosexuals are an embarrassment to their families 7 min Doctor REALITY 5
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 15 min sijo 407
Last Word + 2 19 min Rosie 101
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 30 min WasteWater 3,960
Shock Poll: 40% Still not Sure Obama is America... 34 min WasteWater 37
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 35 min An NFL Fan 115,128
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 58 min pusherman_ 720,567