Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,633
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#416968 Jan 20, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I take this that you were asking a question Oxbow.
I did not write: Oxbow , Jesus is the word , and the word was God.
All things came into being through Him, this makes Jesus God the creator. Gen.1 :1 In the beginng God created the Heavens and the earth.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#416969 Jan 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
947 894
<quoted text>
Willing to learn.......Show me the Scripture of which you speak...
"willing to learn"

lol. Now that is the funniest thing you ever uttered on here. You honestly think there will be a point when any of you guys say, "gee sola scripture really wasn't taught".
Heck no. You're going to your grave holding on to that false teaching that you consciously know is wrong.
Its called ignorance Ox. And you guys can't exist without it.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#416971 Jan 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you to cite the quote from Mary. Find it and cite it.
Find and cite the instances of diplomatic immunity and who it's extended to.
Just back something, anything up with a fact. Once.
Lawyers for Pope Benedict XVI have asked US President George W. Bush to declare the pontiff immune from liability in a lawsuit that accuses him of conspiring to cover up the molestation of three boys by a seminarian in Texas, court records show.

The Vatican's embassy in Washington sent a diplomatic memo to the State Department on May 20 requesting the US government grant the pope immunity because he is a head of state, according to a May 26 motion submitted by the pope's lawyers in US District Court for the Southern Division of Texas in Houston.

Joseph Ratzinger is named as a defendant in the civil lawsuit. Now Benedict XVI, he's accused of conspiring with the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston to cover up the abuse during the mid-1990s. The suit is seeking unspecified monetary damages.

In Washington, US State Department spokeswoman Gerry Keener, said today that the pope already is considered a head of state and automatically has diplomatic immunity. Keener said Benedict doesn't have to ask for immunity and Bush doesn't have to grant it.
Pope Gelasius I was the first pope recorded as enjoying diplomatic immunity

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416972 Jan 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
*[1:1] In the beginning: also the first words of the Old Testament (Gn 1:1). Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God’s dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God’s creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy). With God: the Greek preposition here connotes communication with another. Was God: lack of a definite article with “God” in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.
The above is from the NABRE of John 1:1.....Show me where it teaches Jesus is God....
And...if Christ be God....why did He say:
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Why did He not know of "that day and hour"????
Oxbow

Sorry. You have quoted something from somewhere, I know not....

NABRE

John 1:1

"In the beginning was the Word,

and the Word was with God,

and the Word was God."....

John 1:14

"And the Word became flesh

and made his dwelling among us,

and we saw his glory,

the glory as of the Father’s only Son,

full of grace and truth."

Thus, the Word was God and became flesh.

There is nothing of Hellenistic Philosophy, except the use of Greek as the language, nor is there any reference to Proverbs.

Word was God....Was in this case "As the definite or prepositive article (to be distinguished from the postpositive article — as it is called when it has the force of a relative pronoun, like the German der, die, das, examples of which use are not found in the N. T.), whose use in the N. T. is explained at length by Winers Grammar,§§ 18-20; Buttmann, 85 (74ff); (Green, p. 5ff). As in all languages the article serves to distinguish things, persons, notions, more exactly, it is prefixed"

and since the word "Was" has no modifer....

"to substantives that have no modifier; and those that designate a person or a thing that is the only one of its kind; the article thus distinguishes the same from all other persons or things...."

In short The Word was God, means the Word was God....

Similarly if we say, The Word is God, it means the Word is God.

It does not mean was becoming, or is becoming....

usa

#416973 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a couple 'bad Popes' Jethro, not a lot.
Perhaps 3 out of 265, and only God knows if they were truly bad and not the victims of vicious rumors.
But, lets just say they were really bad... that's less than 1%.. if 10 were corrupt, that's around 3%
Now, if you say the Church lies in her teachings, I ask which ones?
You can't provide any evidence because its not there. However, all Protestants need to lie to prove the CC wrong. That's exactly why I know I'm in the correct Church. You guys rely on deception in order to function as a religious group.
if you look there are websites that have 10+ popes who would be considered evil.a small list:The Bad Popes is a 1969 book by E. R. Chamberlin documenting the lives of eight of the most controversial popes (papal years in parentheses):

Pope Stephen VI (896–897), who had his predecessor Pope Formosus exhumed, tried, de-fingered, briefly reburied, and thrown in the Tiber.[1]
Pope John XII (955–964), who gave land to a mistress, murdered several people, and was killed by a man who caught him in bed with his wife.
Pope Benedict IX (1032–1044, 1045, 1047–1048), who "sold" the Papacy
Pope Boniface VIII (1294–1303), who is lampooned in Dante's Divine Comedy
Pope Urban VI (1378–1389), who complained that he did not hear enough screaming when Cardinals who had conspired against him were tortured.[2]
Pope Alexander VI (1492–1503), a Borgia, who was guilty of nepotism and whose unattended corpse swelled until it could barely fit in a coffin.[3]
Pope Leo X (1513–1521), a spendthrift member of the Medici family who once spent 1/7 of his predecessors' reserves on a single ceremony[4]
Pope Clement VII (1523–1534), also a Medici, whose power-politicking with France, Spain, and Germany got Rome sacked.
JETHRO:look it up if you don't this post....ONE BAD POPE IS ONE TO MANY

usa

#416974 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>Oh bigoted one, the first Church is all that matters. Christ promised to be with them til the end; the gates of hell will never prevail against it; its built on rock;
I don't care what they eventually called themselves.. its the same structural organization in an unbroken line. And you have to admit, the Catholic Church - despite having all their first Popes murdered; upwards of 70 million martyrd since Christ; scandals in the clergy; tyrants and kings waging war against her; countless bigots like you spreading lie after lie ..... and they are still here.
When will you learn? You have the biggest disadvantage known to man, Guest. You're going up against Jesus Christ and the Church He established. You can't win!
you have a broken line in the catholic church,as far as the papacy is concerned,the chair was bought and paid for Pope Benedict IX by his father,how holy is that??

usa

#416975 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for slander, propaganda, rumors, deception and violation of the 9th commandment.
Try posting an argument without bearing false witness. Can you guys function without being deceitful???
Jethro, are you Christian?
i've posted this enough times,i have read the history of the catholic begining,and it is based on constantines group of men who used both pagan/christian ideals to create the catholic church,if you can prove otherwise do so.where did the catholic church come from? jesus didn't build it,otherwise he would of said so,don't you think? and he is the head of his church not some mear mortal,no pope is infallible and teaches infallibility in it's traditions,the first church of antioch which hojo claims is the first of the catholic churches,that's B.S. it was a christian church captured by the roman empire and turned over to the pagan/christian church early fathers,they were just learned men,not holy men.

usa

#416976 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for slander, propaganda, rumors, deception and violation of the 9th commandment.
Try posting an argument without bearing false witness. Can you guys function without being deceitful???
Jethro, are you Christian?
i am not associated with any religion, except my own version,which is a concept of reality/evolution,i believe in what i see around me going on,and i do not see the presence of any god,do you? we are on the verge of another world war,and the catholic church plays a small part in it,by insulting islam,but as long as they stick to just blowing up empty catholic churches where no one gets hurt,that's ok,it's time to bring down the church of evil.we know evolution exists,it has been proven,the one god theory has not,take a good look around you,and show me where god is helping out his children??

usa

#416977 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a couple 'bad Popes' Jethro, not a lot.
Perhaps 3 out of 265, and only God knows if they were truly bad and not the victims of vicious rumors.
But, lets just say they were really bad... that's less than 1%.. if 10 were corrupt, that's around 3%
Now, if you say the Church lies in her teachings, I ask which ones?
You can't provide any evidence because its not there. However, all Protestants need to lie to prove the CC wrong. That's exactly why I know I'm in the correct Church. You guys rely on deception in order to function as a religious group.
the church doesn't lie? they lied about the extent of the abuse,they lied about laundering money,and they lied about bank fraud,there lying about being the true church,they lie about the traditions that exist only within the catholic church,show me one shred of proof that i'm wrong in all i just stated.

usa

#416978 Jan 20, 2013
well time to go,patriots game is on,they will be playing san francisco in the superbowl,once they win tonights game.good night people,be safe stay warm,make some hot chocolate and watch the game.

“The wicked are not smart”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#416979 Jan 20, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
But WHY does the RCC think it is the only religion authorized to properly interpret scriptures? Look at how they twist "...and Mary did not know Joseph til..." and YES, they've twisted the meaning of that, I don't care what anyone says. They're interested only in ruling and controlling, and they're WRONG about many things.
You are an ex-Catholic and yet, you continue to visit these Catholic threads. For a long time now, I have been reading many of your posts and I have no doubt about your true motives.
You keep coming back in order to:
1- Bash the Church in an attempt to keep others from possibly joining the Church and therefore add to the number of haters of the Church. You do this in order to mitigate the guilt you feel for abandoning the true Church (you do know in your heart that Catholicism is the truth but you have chosen yourself over God).
2- You seek sympathy from other haters such as yourself because you want to be perceived as a victim and the Church as a monster. Of course, you do this in a futile effort to validate your contempt for the Catholic Church.

“I don't care what anyone says”
There you have it. You have decided that you WILL NOT listen to the truth because you are too proud and rebellious.
I can only feel sorry for you. You have chosen the path that leads to destruction.

“The wicked are not smart”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#416980 Jan 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I'm enjoying the memes, and have some particularly good ones bookmarked for the delightful folks on this board.
Glad to have you here!
Hi Regina!
Some of those memes are great. I'm glad you are thinking to put them to good use! LOL

Location hidden

#416981 Jan 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"willing to learn"
lol. Now that is the funniest thing you ever uttered on here. You honestly think there will be a point when any of you guys say, "gee sola scripture really wasn't taught".
Heck no. You're going to your grave holding on to that false teaching that you consciously know is wrong.
Its called ignorance Ox. And you guys can't exist without it.
Clay wrote: Its in scripture Ox.

So your "its in scripture" is nothing but hot air.....know why?? Because there is no such....

Location hidden

#416982 Jan 20, 2013
972 946 857
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
NABRE
and we saw his glory,
There is nothing of Hellenistic Philosophy, except the use of Greek as the language, nor is there any reference to Proverbs.
Word was God....Was in this case "As the definite or prepositive article (to be distinguished from the postpositive article — as it is called when it has the force of a relative pronoun, like the German der, die, das, examples of which use are not found in the N. T.), whose use in the N. T. is explained at length by Winers Grammar,§§ 18-20; Buttmann, 85 (74ff); (Green, p. 5ff). As in all languages the article serves to distinguish things, persons, notions, more exactly, it is prefixed"
"to substantives that have no modifier; and those that designate a person or a thing that is the only one of its kind; the article thus distinguishes the same from all other persons or things...."
The NABRE is the New American Bible Revised Edition...

Location hidden

#416983 Jan 20, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
NABRE
and we saw his glory,
And...you are not answering my question..

Quote: If Christ be God....why did He say:
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Location hidden

#416984 Jan 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
And...you are not answering my question..
Quote: If Christ be God....why did He say:
Oxbow

This is the first time you asked....

But it is obvious. There are about 100 trillion connections in the human brain. When God emptied himself out to become a human, he necessarlily limited himself to the human brain. And so the time and date of everything and events in the universe cannot be held in a human brain.

Location hidden

#416985 Jan 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
972 946 857
<quoted text>
The NABRE is the New American Bible Revised Edition...
Oxbow

I know.
RCC Superior BS - BUSTED

Melbourne, FL

#416986 Jan 20, 2013
You fool me not wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an ex-Catholic and yet, you continue to visit these Catholic threads. For a long time now, I have been reading many of your posts and I have no doubt about your true motives.
1- Bash the Church in an attempt to keep others from possibly joining the Church and therefore add to the number of haters of the Church. You do this in order to mitigate the guilt you feel for abandoning the true Church (you do know in your heart that Catholicism is the truth but you have chosen yourself over God).
2- You seek sympathy from other haters such as yourself because you want to be perceived as a victim and the Church as a monster. Of course, you do this in a futile effort to validate your contempt for the Catholic Church.
There you have it. You have decided that you WILL NOT listen to the truth because you are too proud and rebellious.
I can only feel sorry for you. You have chosen the path that leads to destruction.
Like other Roman Catholics here -- all "bashed" by "haters."

I see your problem.

How dare anyone dispute the claim of 'one-true' spiritual superiority? It's crazy -- they ask for historical, real-life evidence beyond 'because we say so.'

Great Catholic post above. It speaks pointedly to that Catholic perfect teaching thing.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, REFORMATION AMERICA :o)
RCC Superior BS - BUSTED

Melbourne, FL

#416987 Jan 20, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you have a broken line in the catholic church,as far as the papacy is concerned,the chair was bought and paid for Pope Benedict IX by his father,how holy is that??
Facts confuse them.

Links make them angry.

The price of spiritual superiority.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#416988 Jan 20, 2013
You fool me not wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a bit incorrect. I come here to try to understand how in the world I ever believed in some of the obvious nonsense grown men teach! All I can come up with was I was a kid, my Dad was dying and I was very vulnerable. Needed something to cling to. I WILL listen to truth if I find any here. As for me choosing the path that leads to destruction - are you saying all non-Catholics have chosen that? If you are, you are way out of line. There are many, many pious and good non-Catholics. As I've said countless times before, when I was young I never questioned. Now I surely do! I will state true motives any and every time. I haven't a thing to hide. In fact, I have a few nice memories. Do you honestly believe your church has the "fullness of truth?" It does NOT. I don't think you're a bad person for believing it, I just think your religion is in error in many ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min It aint necessari... 778,995
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 10 min Senecus 4,926
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min who 265,575
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 27 min sam 55
Designer sarees Online 1 hr fan 4
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 1 hr daveo69 72
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr JpostNewsYTube 605,379
More from around the web