Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 579,226
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#416796 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Peace
These are some really beautiful icons....
They are lovely, aren't they? And so are their meanings. Icons are so rich with symbolism, every detail has a special significance, including the borders and backgrounds.

As the site points out, the Apostle St. Luke was an iconographer and some of these are attributed to him. So much for statues and other representations being against the commandments. And it certainly refutes the claim of the Madonna being a figure from mythology, lol!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416797 Jan 19, 2013
DWWashburn wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not until recently that society deemed pedophilia a crime. That in it self should give those who claim that, your God is the author of morality, a clue that he is not.
If you look at state law in America, you will see the change in the age of consent throughout the years.
Why are we so upset with the RCC? Simple, if one priest was caught, how many of his superiors had to know what happened and they chose to cover it up.
When one priest was caught, all the priests in that church, more than likely, knew about it. The reason for transfer had to given to the local bishop, right? Now, for the RCC's sake, let's say that the bishop was unaware of the real reason. OK, but how many of the priests involved with the cover up, moved up to being a bishop? Now they have the power to do something, but they chose not to.
They get reports from the next wave of priests that need a quick transfer. Do they ask questions or do they see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil?
As these bishops move up and the second wave of priests who know what is happening move up, another round of bad priests get their quickie transfers and no one says a things!
All this is done by people who 'answered God's call'!
How many victims does it take before we take action? How many cover ups does it take?
Do you really believe that people will forgive and forget so quickly?
When you hear that the RCC claims that it cannot pay restitution to the victims, because the buildings do not belong to the church, they belong to the followers; yet the buy a $58 million building in California; what are we supposed to think?
"Simple, if one priest was caught, how many of his superiors had to know what happened and they chose to cover it up."

His superior is his bishop. The bishop wasn't covering up, he was simply following the prevailing treatment course for anyone who was accused of sexual deviancy in those days. Most of the bishops during that time were advised by the psychological profession to send him to treatment and once he received a "clean bill of health" from the experts, the bishop re-assigned him. We know now, AFTER THE FACT, is was the wrong thing to do and those criminals should've been kicked out of the priesthood and turned over to the authorities.

But the axe you have to grind with the Catholic Church isn't really just about sick abusing priests now is it?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416798 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Pad, I have know many young men and heard the testemony of another who dreamed of being priest, to serve the Lord from their hearts.
Everyone of them were molested by older priest, as alter boys or when they entered the priesthood.
I am not talking about one or two men Pad.
I have said many times my heart goes out to the many men and woman who have chosen to serve God as a priest or a nun even though they are innocent of abuse are painted with the same brush.
We have a wonderful spirit filled priest up here at "Christ the King Church," He loves the Lord so much many catholic's are being filled with the gospel of Jesus because of Him.
My father was jailed for what he did, I used the story of my Dad to show abuse was not just in the catholic church, its in every walk of life.
Regina and Anthony found another use for that info.
I would not let my kids in to boy Scouts, but they were alter boys,
because I trusted the Priest who I call my personal Angel.
So Pad I don't believe all catholic priest are pedophiles or homosexuals .
I don't paint all cathoic's with the same brush as Regina and Anthony do with Protestants.
What a liar.
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#416799 Jan 19, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
??
What in the world are you talking about??
It has absolutely nothing to do with the paragraphs I copied and pasted from the Catechism regarding Private Revelations.
Away with your bile. It sounds like the only choking being done around here is you choking on the truth that Christ founded ONE church...One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism...not 40,000+ different Lords, Faiths, Baptisms. You people can't even agree if Jesus is truly man and truly God, or not. Every time one of you posts about it, a different answer comes up. But all are invariably non-Christian. Very frightening. That's why protestantism is a heresy in and of itself, a tremendous sin of pride. Which God do you believe in, LTM? Is the Christ you believe in truly human? Or is He truly God? Or is He both? Is He God at all? Did His Blessed Mother give birth to all of Him or half of Him? Most of you say half. So what happened to the other half? And on and on it goes, so far removed from the faith of our fathers, the faith of those who walked with God made man. Much too far removed and you get further away with each passing day. What a pity.
JESUS WAS FULLY GOD, AND HE WAS FULLY MAN.
or don't you know that.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#416800 Jan 19, 2013
Immaculate conception was not a NEW concept when Jesus was born. It had been practiced for centuries before that Gods would impregnate women on earth.

Why do catholics believe this concept was UNIQUE to christianity when it was already old hat 1,000 years before.

http://www.examiner.com/article/immaculate-co...

CONFIRMED!
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416801 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you think you posted here Regina, but what has it got to do with our faith in a Faithful God.
The Bible clearly States without faith You can not please God, and without faith God will not move.
When Jesus was healing people in the N.T. He said your faith has healed you.
You church has no authority over the word of the Lord, to change it or anything else and that is what you do.
To say otherwise is preaching a false doctrine.
My understand of the catholic church thEY take scripture then say as an example (THIS IS WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ,BUT IT MEANS THIS
AND THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS GODS ONLY TRUE CHURCH SO THEY HAVE THE ONLY AUTHORITY TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT IT SAYS).
I AM TELLING YOU THAT IS RUBBISH.
IF YOUR GOING TO FEED THE MONKEYS, MAKE SURE ITS NOT SOMETHING THEY ARE GOING TO CHOKE TO DEATH ON IT.
YOUR RELIGIOUS DOCTRINE ARE PUTTING PEOPLE INTO HELL IN DROVES.
"YOUR RELIGIOUS DOCTRINE ARE PUTTING PEOPLE INTO HELL IN DROVES."

You are mentally unstable. No wonder St. Peter said certain people shouldn't be reading and interpreting scripture.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#416802 Jan 19, 2013
DWWashburn wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not until recently that society deemed pedophilia a crime. That in it self should give those who claim that, your God is the author of morality, a clue that he is not.
If you look at state law in America, you will see the change in the age of consent throughout the years.
Why are we so upset with the RCC? Simple, if one priest was caught, how many of his superiors had to know what happened and they chose to cover it up.
When one priest was caught, all the priests in that church, more than likely, knew about it. The reason for transfer had to given to the local bishop, right? Now, for the RCC's sake, let's say that the bishop was unaware of the real reason. OK, but how many of the priests involved with the cover up, moved up to being a bishop? Now they have the power to do something, but they chose not to.
They get reports from the next wave of priests that need a quick transfer. Do they ask questions or do they see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil?
As these bishops move up and the second wave of priests who know what is happening move up, another round of bad priests get their quickie transfers and no one says a things!
All this is done by people who 'answered God's call'!
How many victims does it take before we take action? How many cover ups does it take?
Do you really believe that people will forgive and forget so quickly?
When you hear that the RCC claims that it cannot pay restitution to the victims, because the buildings do not belong to the church, they belong to the followers; yet the buy a $58 million building in California; what are we supposed to think?
I don't know anything about the Crystal Cathedral sale to the RCC,and I cannot speculate about it.But the biggest problem is that no matter what can be said in either exposing more of what has happened in the CC concerning child molestation.OR the fact that an organization is confessing and trying to do all it can to end the scandal.

Either way,the results of what is either to be unleashed imformation,or the burden of dealing with an internal malady within the system,The CC can only mover forward and deal with each thing as it unravels. The cheap attacks of people against the CC on a constant basis,is no longer desire to see justice served,but to destroy the organization,which cannot succumb to that barage,because of what it is basically founded on to begin with.

That is the organization is too big and complexed to tear it down with blind attacks about the moral fiber of the whole organization at large.

The scandall has been addressed and faced head on by not only the Catholic Church but all of Christianity.We all know and understand that once sin is exposed,it loses its power over human beings.The Catholic Church knows that it has to face up to whatever has been surfaced concerning some of its priests,and the same applies to every facet of Christianity.

That actually does not stop the predator,as he is driven by sexual passion,and a boy or girl is still at risk,if such a perpetrator exists in the church even now.Do we blame the whole organization for that one person?

Who knows who he is until he strikes? When he is found out,the Church now is going to act accordingly,we have to give them the time and space now to comply with dealing heavily with that offender. In other words,Sin has been exposed on a grand scale,NOW the church can work with God in disposing of it within the Sanctuary.We Christians must allow those perpetrators to be incarcerated and punished by law as well.
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#416803 Jan 19, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
??
What in the world are you talking about??
It has absolutely nothing to do with the paragraphs I copied and pasted from the Catechism regarding Private Revelations.
Away with your bile. It sounds like the only choking being done around here is you choking on the truth that Christ founded ONE church...One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism...not 40,000+ different Lords, Faiths, Baptisms. You people can't even agree if Jesus is truly man and truly God, or not. Every time one of you posts about it, a different answer comes up. But all are invariably non-Christian. Very frightening. That's why protestantism is a heresy in and of itself, a tremendous sin of pride. Which God do you believe in, LTM? Is the Christ you believe in truly human? Or is He truly God? Or is He both? Is He God at all? Did His Blessed Mother give birth to all of Him or half of Him? Most of you say half. So what happened to the other half? And on and on it goes, so far removed from the faith of our fathers, the faith of those who walked with God made man. Much too far removed and you get further away with each passing day. What a pity.
The hypostatic union is the term used to describe how God the Son, Jesus Christ, took on a human nature, yet remained fully God at the same time. Jesus always had been God (John 8:58, 10:30), but at the incarnation Jesus became a human being (John 1:14). The addition of the human nature to the divine nature is Jesus, the God-man. This is the hypostatic union, Jesus Christ, one Person, fully God and fully man.

Jesus' two natures, human and divine, are inseparable. Jesus will forever be the God-man, fully God and fully human, two distinct natures in one Person. Jesus' humanity and divinity are not mixed, but are united without loss of separate identity. Jesus sometimes operated with the limitations of humanity (John 4:6, 19:28) and other times in the power of His deity (John 11:43; Matthew 14:18-21). In both, Jesus' actions were from His one Person. Jesus had two natures, but only one personality.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416804 Jan 19, 2013
DWWashburn wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not until recently that society deemed pedophilia a crime. That in it self should give those who claim that, your God is the author of morality, a clue that he is not.
If you look at state law in America, you will see the change in the age of consent throughout the years.
Why are we so upset with the RCC? Simple, if one priest was caught, how many of his superiors had to know what happened and they chose to cover it up.
When one priest was caught, all the priests in that church, more than likely, knew about it. The reason for transfer had to given to the local bishop, right? Now, for the RCC's sake, let's say that the bishop was unaware of the real reason. OK, but how many of the priests involved with the cover up, moved up to being a bishop? Now they have the power to do something, but they chose not to.
They get reports from the next wave of priests that need a quick transfer. Do they ask questions or do they see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil?
As these bishops move up and the second wave of priests who know what is happening move up, another round of bad priests get their quickie transfers and no one says a things!
All this is done by people who 'answered God's call'!
How many victims does it take before we take action? How many cover ups does it take?
Do you really believe that people will forgive and forget so quickly?
When you hear that the RCC claims that it cannot pay restitution to the victims, because the buildings do not belong to the church, they belong to the followers; yet the buy a $58 million building in California; what are we supposed to think?
BTW, what protestant denomination are you? I've got my google page up and ready....
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416805 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS WAS FULLY GOD, AND HE WAS FULLY MAN.
or don't you know that.
Really? So Mary wasn't His mother then?
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#416806 Jan 19, 2013
Oh, No! Heckle doesn't know the difference between the Incarnation and the Immaculate Conception! LOL!!

They're batting a 1,000 today!

:)
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#416808 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
The hypostatic union is the term used to describe how God the Son, Jesus Christ, took on a human nature, yet remained fully God at the same time. Jesus always had been God (John 8:58, 10:30), but at the incarnation Jesus became a human being (John 1:14). The addition of the human nature to the divine nature is Jesus, the God-man. This is the hypostatic union, Jesus Christ, one Person, fully God and fully man.
Jesus' two natures, human and divine, are inseparable. Jesus will forever be the God-man, fully God and fully human, two distinct natures in one Person. Jesus' humanity and divinity are not mixed, but are united without loss of separate identity. Jesus sometimes operated with the limitations of humanity (John 4:6, 19:28) and other times in the power of His deity (John 11:43; Matthew 14:18-21). In both, Jesus' actions were from His one Person. Jesus had two natures, but only one personality.
DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW
It was the Catholic Church who first taught the Hypostatic Union....so, yes, LOL....I do understand it.

But are YOU sure?

Which half did the Blessed Virgin Mary give birth to?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416807 Jan 19, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I understand your point,but the truth is,whole populations that are Roman Catholic in this world venerate openly the blessed Mother,having a statue of her in front of them,kneeling before it,singing litanies and canticles of praise to her near divine office,glorifying her. Statues of Mary are often placed on pedestals and carried around,many faithful trying to touch the pedestal to gain some virtue if possible.
Catholics here in the US especially try to claim that their prayers and devotion to Mary is within that safe realm of non[-Divine worship,and I understand many American and propbably Canadian Catholics do not actually worship Mary.But I watch EWTN often and really Dan,much of what is said about Mary,and the practices of devotion to her are exactly the very reason why Prots and evangelicals reject Catholicism.The reasoning given by Catholic teachers on the devotion to Mary often exceeds the boundaries of what some Catholics try to say do not exist in the whole of Catholicism.
Mary is not in any way the Spouse of the Holy Spirit,for instance.Even trying to reason such a thought is preposterous.
Catholics cannot separate in their mindset the Man Christ Jesus,from the Eternal God He was and is and IS to come. Jesus was the Son of Man,and technically still is due to His resurrected Body.But it is in that realm of His being the Son of Man that He also is the Son of Mary.YET,Catholics and Orthodox insist that Mary is the Mother of God,and that if we do not call her such,than we do not believe in the Incarnation.Mary was the Mother of Jesus the Son of Man,Mother of the Man Jesus,giving Him flesh and blood from her mortal body.
To say that Mary is the Mother of God is to separate Jesus from the Father and the Holy Spirit,that He is a separate or a God alone from the Father and the Holy Spirit.JESUS is with the Father and the Holy Spirit G O D.The Three are not separate Gods.GOD is ONE,indivisible.The Godhead is the OFFICE of Their being,the Administration of the Father,Son and Holy Spirit=ONE GOD forever and ever.
So if you say that Mary is the Mother of God,you are saying technically that she is the Mother of the Father-Son,and the Holy Spirit.Which of course for a mortal human being that is impossible,and should not be even mentioned.
She bore the Man Christ Jesus who WAS from the beginning G o d.She did not bear God,because He was God before she even existed.But she bore the total humanity of the Person Jesus,anointed to be the Messiah,and who IS God from the Father and the Holy Spirit of Promise to all humanity.
But as Son of Man Jesus lived in the realm of being lesser than the Angels for 30+ years,He died in human agony,but was RAISED by the Father from the dead.His separate role of being the Son of Man changed to the Eternal Son from what was His roots to begin with,He sits at the right hand of His Father in GLORY!
Pad good friend

You write, "Mary is not in anyway the Spouse of the Holy Spirit..."

In response, Luke 1:35 And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon you and the power of the Most High shall overshadow you. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of you shall be called the Son of God."

In a sense, when a person is born-again, accepting Jesus, it is the Holy Spirit that is the Spouse that overshadows each of us by faith. Likewise, Mary's fiat, is acceptance by faith which is far superior to our faith, as with her, Jesus was physically conceived. And the more each of us becomes like Jesus, the more one's faith becomes like Jesus' mother....

The Godhead is Three Persons. If not, then why not get baptized in the Name of God, instead of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Really the particular issue with us understanding the Godhead is defining the Holy Spirit as a Person. I think most accept the Son and Father as seperate. But all are united as One God.
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#416809 Jan 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, what protestant denomination are you? I've got my google page up and ready....
I think he's another atheist (or maybe the same one, lol). He had a bit of a downer on God in one of his posts.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#416810 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Pad, I have know many young men and heard the testemony of another who dreamed of being priest, to serve the Lord from their hearts.
Everyone of them were molested by older priest, as alter boys or when they entered the priesthood.
I am not talking about one or two men Pad.
I have said many times my heart goes out to the many men and woman who have chosen to serve God as a priest or a nun even though they are innocent of abuse are painted with the same brush.
We have a wonderful spirit filled priest up here at "Christ the King Church," He loves the Lord so much many catholic's are being filled with the gospel of Jesus because of Him.
My father was jailed for what he did, I used the story of my Dad to show abuse was not just in the catholic church, its in every walk of life.
Regina and Anthony found another use for that info.
I would not let my kids in to boy Scouts, but they were alter boys,
because I trusted the Priest who I call my personal Angel.
So Pad I don't believe all catholic priest are pedophiles or homosexuals .
I don't paint all cathoic's with the same brush as Regina and Anthony do with Protestants.
Why would those young men want to be priests if they in fact were molested by a priest when they were altar boys? Of course you can't answer that question.I don't understand why they tell you of their desire to be priests,knowing that they were once sexually assaulted by a priest.The other factor is that WHEN were these boys assaulted? After mass,before mass? It is beyond us to figure these things out.

It is a dasterly criminal act by men who claim to be shepherds of Christ's flock.Such strong emotions to deceive children and to guide them at the same time to the Lord,is a disparity of justice. Whether a minister,priest or whatever.Who can figure such strong drives to both destroy and build up?

I do find it hard to believe that the priest pedophiles are a majority,and not a very small minority.Since you live in Canada,are we seeing a lot of scandal there as well?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416811 Jan 19, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony,it is not widely known that ministers MOSTLY married seek to molest children.Some cases of it no doubt,and I am not denying it,but the greater sin of Ministers is usually adultery with a woman who is not their wife.And even the random GAY encounter as we know that of, Pastor Turner,or Jim Baker,basically unheard of.
Cover up is everywhere,that is why I do not get on the band wagon of constantly bringing up Catholic priest pedophiles.The comments on this forum about priest pedophilia do exceed the truth of what really has happened.I only met one priest who was a pedophile in action,the one who got a hold of me and other orphans years ago. But in my many years I have never met a known one personally other than him. We suspected by wife's cousin of being a pedophile,(he is a priest),but it really has never been proven to the fact that he indeed was one.

You are right however in wondering why LTM is so adamant when she herself went through that aweful experience herself from a minister(family member).Very outrageously sad.I have been through the experience of being a victim,but because of the Lord,I cannot target all priests just because one took liberties with me and other boys in that orphanage.I would not doubt that the very priest was later targeted and even defrocked,or maybe he was never brught to light,if he did not repent. The end of the wicked is in hell,we should never envy them.
You know and I know that the perpetrators of such crimes are a fraction,not the majority.
Dan

I think the problem is that priests have had to much power thrust upon them, and their duties have had to take on epic proportions. This has sort of changed with the re-establishment of deacons.

A priest is called to be a servant. But he has duties such as administrative, being a counselor, and organizer, etc., that he cannot perform his primary duties. He is spread to thin.... In an idealic world, I think priests should be older, experienced with people, with a known backround.(Fortunately, my church has a priest who is like this. This is his "second" calling late in life.)
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#416812 Jan 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Simple, if one priest was caught, how many of his superiors had to know what happened and they chose to cover it up."
His superior is his bishop. The bishop wasn't covering up, he was simply following the prevailing treatment course for anyone who was accused of sexual deviancy in those days. Most of the bishops during that time were advised by the psychological profession to send him to treatment and once he received a "clean bill of health" from the experts, the bishop re-assigned him. We know now, AFTER THE FACT, is was the wrong thing to do and those criminals should've been kicked out of the priesthood and turned over to the authorities.
But the axe you have to grind with the Catholic Church isn't really just about sick abusing priests now is it?
Anthony says...... The bishop wasn't covering up, he was simply following the prevailing treatment course for anyone who was accused of sexual deviancy in those days. Most of the bishops during that time were advised by the psychological profession to send him to treatment and once he received a "clean bill of health"

Michael says....WHAT A CROC! 20, 30 50 years ago, if a man raped a woman the POLICE WERE CALLED. Same as today, and no different than if a child was raped today or 50 years ago.


Lance Armstrong looks like a beginner compared to the lying, deceitful clergy who covered up to protect the church and not the victims.


Anthony you will go to any length to make up excuses, because YOU NEVER want any catholic priest ever charged with anything. Its obvious in your tone that you continue to defend the clergy at all costs including RAPE.

The charge of Rape 50 years ago was the same as rape today......

Call a PHYSCIATRIST!.........what a BS excuse.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for defending their actions of "WE WILL CALL" a physchiatrist.

If 50 years ago you had a son and he claimed a neighbor sexually assualted him, I am sure you would call a PHYSCHIASTRIST.



UNBELIEVABLE!







MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#416813 Jan 19, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he's another atheist (or maybe the same one, lol). He had a bit of a downer on God in one of his posts.
If it isn't the OLE ROOSTER! clukking to Anthony, about someone else again!.... Anthony! Anthony! BWUK BWUK BWUK!! another atheist. BUK BUK BUK!! they are going to hell!! BWUK BWUK BWUK!!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#416814 Jan 19, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know anything about the Crystal Cathedral sale to the RCC,and I cannot speculate about it.But the biggest problem is that no matter what can be said in either exposing more of what has happened in the CC concerning child molestation.OR the fact that an organization is confessing and trying to do all it can to end the scandal.
Either way,the results of what is either to be unleashed imformation,or the burden of dealing with an internal malady within the system,The CC can only mover forward and deal with each thing as it unravels. The cheap attacks of people against the CC on a constant basis,is no longer desire to see justice served,but to destroy the organization,which cannot succumb to that barage,because of what it is basically founded on to begin with.
That is the organization is too big and complexed to tear it down with blind attacks about the moral fiber of the whole organization at large.
The scandall has been addressed and faced head on by not only the Catholic Church but all of Christianity.We all know and understand that once sin is exposed,it loses its power over human beings.The Catholic Church knows that it has to face up to whatever has been surfaced concerning some of its priests,and the same applies to every facet of Christianity.
That actually does not stop the predator,as he is driven by sexual passion,and a boy or girl is still at risk,if such a perpetrator exists in the church even now.Do we blame the whole organization for that one person?
Who knows who he is until he strikes? When he is found out,the Church now is going to act accordingly,we have to give them the time and space now to comply with dealing heavily with that offender. In other words,Sin has been exposed on a grand scale,NOW the church can work with God in disposing of it within the Sanctuary.We Christians must allow those perpetrators to be incarcerated and punished by law as well.
I and my three brothers were altar boys in our parish over a period of about 12 years. There were probably a hundred other boys over the years as well. There was never ONE SINGLE incident of abuse or anything thing that would be remotely contstrued as sexual in nature by the founding pastor or any of the many associate priests who came and went.

Dan, you more than anyone on this board has the right to be angry, but your charity really shines forth on this issue. All I can say is how sorry I am for what you endured and I'm glad you have found peace. Fortunately the Church has made HUGE strides in eliminating this scourge and getting rid of the "filth" as Pope Benedict called them, as is evident by the last number I saw, about 7 credible accustions in 2011, out of over 40,000 priests.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#416815 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan
I think the problem is that priests have had to much power thrust upon them, and their duties have had to take on epic proportions. This has sort of changed with the re-establishment of deacons.
A priest is called to be a servant. But he has duties such as administrative, being a counselor, and organizer, etc., that he cannot perform his primary duties. He is spread to thin.... In an idealic world, I think priests should be older, experienced with people, with a known backround.(Fortunately, my church has a priest who is like this. This is his "second" calling late in life.)
Robert says...... I think priests should be older......

Michael says.......Roman catholic priests today are the oldest that the church has ever had. In america today the average age of a catholic priest is 60. The average age of a nun in america today is 70.

The most religious, conservative people in the catholic church are NOT answering the calling to the priest/sisterhood as they did in the past.

During the past 45 years upwards of 80,000 men left the priesthood, and comparable number of nuns. Why?

Doesn't this clearly indicate their is trouble brewing in the catholic church? Mass attendance is about 25%, catholics in greater numbers including many priests want optional celebacy. Priests around the world including the USA have recently created Priest Unions, Many catholics today believe its time to ordain women.

A church DEEPLY divided, and every year more parishes without a resident priest.

Catholics should be paying close attention.

Could this information, indicate the canary in the coal mine?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Caucasians are Neanderthal-Sapien hybrids. (Oct '07) 8 min Johnny 163
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 8 min Classic 2,199
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 18 min Stilgar Fifrawi 817,869
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 min bad bob 176,209
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 26 min Seentheotherside 69,895
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 47 min Seentheotherside 609,886
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 53 min Mrs Edith Bunker 98,008
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Porkpie Hat 270,167
More from around the web