Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665064 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Longlac, Canada

#416839 Jan 19, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Why would those young men want to be priests if they in fact were molested by a priest when they were altar boys? Of course you can't answer that question.I don't understand why they tell you of their desire to be priests,knowing that they were once sexually assaulted by a priest.The other factor is that WHEN were these boys assaulted? After mass,before mass? It is beyond us to figure these things out.
It is a dasterly criminal act by men who claim to be shepherds of Christ's flock.Such strong emotions to deceive children and to guide them at the same time to the Lord,is a disparity of justice. Whether a minister,priest or whatever.Who can figure such strong drives to both destroy and build up?
I do find it hard to believe that the priest pedophiles are a majority,and not a very small minority.Since you live in Canada,are we seeing a lot of scandal there as well?
Well they are all men now but the one who became a priest testified at a trail of a bishop he was one of many who did.
Maybe an idea put in their head by a devoted catholic mother put the idea in a young boys head to be a priest and to please her went along with it.

If you talk to some of the children who were molested it was priest who visited a family , had dinner at their homes .
Priest invited children to stay over night at their place with the parents blessing.

One boy told a Mom that the priest molested him the Mother beat him for talking like that against a [get this] holy man.

Maybe they thought they would be among the many priest who didn't molest chlidren and for that reason want to be a priest.
I use to be a social worker Pad, I have met a lot of people in my work. Heard many stories saw many things, maybe that is why I am like I am against child abuse.

My grandson is a youth worker, he worker in half way houses with young teens. He crys alot he had to take sick leave , He may have to quite, I had to quiet also couldn't take it.

A lot of people end up hating God because of abuse that has happened to them but you and I haven't, Pad. I trust no one but I love God.

This abuse is more likely to happen in a childs home then any where else, by a close relative., and never talked about.

I have offended people Pad I know but whats that compared to what some children have suffered.

When the Pope, suppositly a man of God; gets up and makes a speech and says children abuse is excepted in some countries.
To explain away, the cover ups and lies that he him self has told to save face, I think he has lost touch with all reality all together.
Guest

Poplar Bluff, MO

#416840 Jan 19, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
http://stopbaptistpredators.or g/index.htm
That's what happens when organizations and institutions keep the traditions of the Catholic Church.

Come out of her My People !!!!

The two witnesses John the Apostle and Elijah will set you all straight returning the hearts of the son's to the father.
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#416841 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan
Knowing that all men are tempted is an admission of our nature.
It is in knowing what is sin, we can avoid sin....It takes discipline.
I have found particularly helpful the Desert Father's writings in the early Church. They really define sin and temptation well, and ways to combat it, on physical, mental, and spiritual levels.
One of the best ways is to live the Beatitudes. Especially the first one. Blessed are the poor of spirit...., actually it come to giving up the pleasuresof the flesh, and blessed are those who mourn....Jesus gave us the directions and destination, we just need to follow them.
To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers
MICHAEL

Canada

#416842 Jan 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The John Jay report says you're wrong Jeckle.
Obssession with child sex is not good Jeckle. Maybe you should check with your marriage counselor and see if she treats your other problem too.
MOTHER ANTHONY!

..You are telling me that collectively around the world for many years, EVERY catholic bishop miraculously USED THE EXACT SAME METHOD OF OPERATION (without knowing each other) in "lets call the PHYCHIATRIST" not the police.

You are never going to change my mind MOTHER ANTHONY that the thousands of catholic bishops did not get support from the vatican of how to SQUASH all these victims and their accusations.

The safeguards in place now were not as a result of GOOD WORK by the clergy. It was solely by the brave victims and their families who went to the police and the number of cases were so OVERWHELMING that the church had no other recourse than to cave in and ......guess what......DIAL 9-1-1! for the first time.

The bishops who lied, and covered up these crimes to protect their abusive clergy, have NOW! been put in charge of blowing the whistle on the very clergy they covered up for in the first place.

Who puts the wolf in charge of the henhouse? ONLY THE CATHOLIC DOES!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#416843 Jan 19, 2013
719
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary isn't worshipped.
We pray for her intercession.
Old news.
I am not discussing divine worship. Am saying that Catholics are taught to pray to Mary...which is opposite of what Christ taught..
The Catechism does teach to pray to her. It lists no Scripture to support this erroneous teaching...because there is none...

You say "We pray for her intercession". For whatever reason you pray to her, be it for her intercession, or for answers to a novena...you pray to her.
MICHAEL

Canada

#416844 Jan 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No moron, 50 years ago women did NOT always call the police when they were raped.
Hey Jeckle, still haven't figured out that seal of confessional thingy yet have you?
Anthony says....... 50 years ago women did NOT always call the police when they were raped.

Michael says.......THATS RIGHT! Anthony they called a psychiatrist, or maybe they called a catholic bishop and he reccommended a psychiatrist. UNBELIEVABLE!

MICHAEL

Canada

#416845 Jan 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No moron, 50 years ago women did NOT always call the police when they were raped.
Hey Jeckle, still haven't figured out that seal of confessional thingy yet have you?
ANTHONY SAYS.........the seal of the confessional.

MICHAEL SAYS......NOT ANYMORE! All the clergy have now been taught how to DIAL 9-1-1.....whenever there is a wiff of one of them doing wrong.

What a difference a day makes.......(lol)UNBELIEVABLE!

The seal of the confessional is just a ......"hide yourelf from the police" tool.

No wonder crime is rampant in america. Commit the worst crime immaginable, head to the confession.........and MOMS the word.

what a CROC!......and you are OK with it! OMG!

You are an enabler of crime. Jesus would not be impressed one bit..........if he existed.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#416846 Jan 19, 2013
Dan....Catholics pray to Mary...

Excerpt:

Prayers to Virgin Mary

From the Church's beginnings, prayers to Virgin Mary have held a place of honor for Catholics.

Here are some of the most fundamental and majestic.

These prayers prayers to Virgin Mary take varied forms. Most of them combine:

Prayers to God, modeled after the faith of Mary.
Meditations on the Incarnation, Mary's unique role in salvation history, or her perfect examples of virtues like faith, humility, and charity.
Prayers to Mary, asking for her help and protection.

Like all prayers to Saints, our prayers to Virgin Mary rely on the Saints' special power to intercede for us before Christ and the Father. But since Mary has a unique role in salvation, and a unique relationship to the Trinity, our prayers to the Blessed Virgin also rely on her special power of intercession.

NOTE: "PRAYERS TO VIRGIN MARY''PRAYERS TO MARY' "our prayers to the Blessed Virgin (TWICE SAID)"

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416847 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers
LTM

You have the literal interpretation of what being poor in spirit is most commonly seen in commentaries and accepted teachings. And I am not dismissing it. But lets get a little more into being poor in spirit....

"And so Jesus says:“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”(Matthew 5:3). This is neither a romanticizing of economic poverty nor a demonization of wealth, but rather a formula for detachment. Might I suggest a somewhat variant rendition: how blessed are you if you are not attached to material things, if you have not placed the goods that wealth can buy at the center of your concern? When the Kingdom of God is your ultimate concern, not only will you not become addicted to material things; you will, in fact, be able to use them with great effectiveness for God’s purposes."

http://payingattentiontothesky.com/2011/10/06...

"The poor in spirit, of course, are not the weak-spirited; they are exactly the opposite. They are strong enough to be detached from riches, that is, from the whole world. They are those who are strong enough not to be enslaved to their desires for the things of this world.

http://payingattentiontothesky.com/category/h...
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#416848 Jan 19, 2013
Amish wrote:
<quoted text>
The few hundred Protestant denominations and individual Christians around the world all have many things in common - Jesus, the Bible, all Christian. Unlike Rome's universal pagan voodoo sun cult that does not follow the Bible - Apostles. This is why Rome has added books!
The have Jesus and the Bible??

What good is that when you've tampered with Our Lords will?
You say you have Jesus but reject His Church?
You'd agree that Christ started a Church. Right?

If its not the Catholic Church, then who is it?

Not all of you 42,000 could be the correct one.

If I'm new to Christianity, I'm going to find out which Church was there from the beginning. Then and only then, would I be in the correct group.
All others can and do experience Christ, because He is love. But you do not have the fullness of His teachings.. you only have some of it. And that is by using the books that the Catholic Church says is the Bible.
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#416849 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
You have the literal interpretation of what being poor in spirit is most commonly seen in commentaries and accepted teachings. And I am not dismissing it. But lets get a little more into being poor in spirit....
"And so Jesus says:“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”(Matthew 5:3). This is neither a romanticizing of economic poverty nor a demonization of wealth, but rather a formula for detachment. Might I suggest a somewhat variant rendition: how blessed are you if you are not attached to material things, if you have not placed the goods that wealth can buy at the center of your concern? When the Kingdom of God is your ultimate concern, not only will you not become addicted to material things; you will, in fact, be able to use them with great effectiveness for God’s purposes."
http://payingattentiontothesky.com/2011/10/06...
"The poor in spirit, of course, are not the weak-spirited; they are exactly the opposite. They are strong enough to be detached from riches, that is, from the whole world. They are those who are strong enough not to be enslaved to their desires for the things of this world.
http://payingattentiontothesky.com/category/h...
I was going to ask you if that was Fr. Barron, and then I clicked on the link, lol! He's so good, he always hits the mark.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416850 Jan 19, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was going to ask you if that was Fr. Barron, and then I clicked on the link, lol! He's so good, he always hits the mark.
ReginaM
Peace

lol...Yes he is quite good. He really defines things well. A great communicator.
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#416851 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
And the Blessed Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus, not just the flesh, but also the God....whicch we know as the hypostatic union each. Thus the Blessed Mary is the mother of Jesus of the flesh, and mother of God, known as the hypostatic union of each.
You cannot seperate Jesus into two. You said it yourself.
God is a Spirit how can Mary be the Mother of a Spirit the Holy Spirit at that.

got to go IT'S HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA. WE LOVE OUR HOCKEY EH

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#416852 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
And the Blessed Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus, not just the flesh, but also the God....whicch we know as the hypostatic union each. Thus the Blessed Mary is the mother of Jesus of the flesh, and mother of God, known as the hypostatic union of each.
You cannot seperate Jesus into two. You said it yourself.
What you are saying is not what the Catholic Encyclopedia teaches...quote: Jesus Christ - The incarnate Son of God and the redeemer of the human race.....
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#416853 Jan 19, 2013
"What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as “highly favored”(Luke 1:28). The phrase “highly favored” comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means “much grace.” Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is “unmerited favor,” meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47,“... and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...”

Mary recognized that she needed the Savior. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favored (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Savior, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8).

Mary did not have an “immaculate conception.” The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares,“But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus.”

The word “until” clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed,“Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed”(Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response?“On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it”(Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Savior.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels:“Worship God!”(see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone:“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name”(Luke 1:46-49).

yougotquestions.com
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#416854 Jan 19, 2013
Recommended Resource: The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and The Word of God by James McCarthy.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416855 Jan 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are saying is not what the Catholic Encyclopedia teaches...quote: Jesus Christ - The incarnate Son of God and the redeemer of the human race.....
Oxbow

Jesus is God

"St. John affirms in plain words that Jesus is God.

http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#416856 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
"What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"
Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as “highly favored”(Luke 1:28). The phrase “highly favored” comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means “much grace.” Mary received God’s grace.
Grace is “unmerited favor,” meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47,“... and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...”
Mary recognized that she needed the Savior. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favored (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Savior, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8).
Mary did not have an “immaculate conception.” The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares,“But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus.”
The word “until” clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.
One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed,“Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed”(Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response?“On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it”(Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Savior.
Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.
Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.
The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels:“Worship God!”(see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone:“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name”(Luke 1:46-49).
yougotquestions.com
" yougotquestions.com "???

Holy cow....you shouldn't be allowed to touch a bible with a ten foot pole.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#416857 Jan 19, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
God is a Spirit how can Mary be the Mother of a Spirit the Holy Spirit at that.
got to go IT'S HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA. WE LOVE OUR HOCKEY EH
LTM

Jesus is God(the Word) John 1
The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Mother of Jesus
Therefore....The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Mother of God(the Word).

The Holy Spirit is the Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary(Luke 1:35)
(What God hath joined together, let no man put assunder.)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#416858 Jan 19, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
Jesus is God(the Word) John 1
The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Mother of Jesus
Therefore....The Blessed Virgin Mary is the Mother of God(the Word).
The Holy Spirit is the Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary(Luke 1:35)
(What God hath joined together, let no man put assunder.)
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a79.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Jedi Mind Master 977,155
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Rider on the Storm 87,809
The Future of Politics in America 5 min It aint necessari... 117
Need Gay under 16 Facetime numbers ;) (Feb '14) 16 min Dan sky 12
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 22 min Truthiness 405
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 32 min gundee123 1,206
Bruce Lee practising Wing Chun in San Francisco 38 min andrewsmith85 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 43 min Rider on the Storm 184,647
More from around the web