Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685857 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Longlac, Canada

#415757 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church is the Church no matter the location. And the Church does not grant divorces, nor does she sell indulgences. Period. Being nice doesn't preclude their being ignorant of their faith. It's unfortunate, but it happens.
Go to Spain, Or Mexico, Brazil, and then come back and say that Regina.
They are not the same,
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415758 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church is the Church no matter the location. And the Church does not grant divorces, nor does she sell indulgences. Period. Being nice doesn't preclude their being ignorant of their faith. It's unfortunate, but it happens.
You are telling this to a guy that grew up in a catholic only country?
What do you know about Catholicism outside the US?
I've seen it in Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Argentina. All completely different than what you are painting it to be. Christians are considered nuts and fanatics there.
My relatives as soon as you enter their house the first thing you see is a catholic bible and statues of Mary. If you try to talk about what the bible says, they look at you with a question mark. They never reed it.
Remember my native language is Spanish and I was raised catholic.
Please stop making it look like you know it all.
Selling indulgences and divorces is one of their biggest money makers along with marriages.
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#415759 Jan 14, 2013
Spectacular Comet Possibly Visible to a Naked Eye in 2013: ISON Might Appear Brighter Than Full Moon While Passing the Earth

Hello Skywatchers; Forget the Hunter's Moon in 2013.
Local skywatchers' may see a spectacular Hunter's Comet — the newly discovered comet ISON.
A NASA astronomer says ISON's fiery tail may be visible to those watching the night sky from October 2013 through January 2014.
This comet could be viewed without the help of a telescope.Spectacular Comet possibly visible to a naked eye.ISON might appear brighter than Full Moon while passing the Earth.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415760 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you protestants are raking in a fortune! I know you're not referring to the Catholic Church, because she doesn't grant divorces, nor does she sell indulgences.
It is possible I guess. Where there are people there are sinners. I'm just not aware of it happening in Protestant churches since I don't belong to any.
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415761 Jan 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen it in Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Argentina. All completely different than what you are painting it to be. Christians are considered nuts and fanatics there.
My relatives as soon as you enter their house the first thing you see is a catholic bible and statues of Mary. If you try to talk about what the bible says, they look at you with a question mark. They never reed it.
Selling indulgences and divorces is one of their biggest money makers along with marriages.
My cousin was a bishop in Brazil.

Please stop making it look like *you* know it all. You don't.

The Church does not grant divorces, nor does she sell indulgences.

Period.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415762 Jan 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe a catholic would give me a negie for telling it like it is.....right?
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415763 Jan 14, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to Spain, Or Mexico, Brazil, and then come back and say that Regina.
They are not the same,
You know nothing. Keep out of it.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415764 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Period.
I'm sorry to disappoint you. He lied.
I do know Latin America well.
I've been to Spain but not long enough to be able to tell.
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415765 Jan 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry to disappoint you. He lied.
I do know Latin America well.
I've been to Spain but not long enough to be able to tell.
I know it well enough. And I *have* been to Spain long enough to tell.

I'm sorry that your family are nominal Catholics, ignorant of their faith, but it happens.
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415766 Jan 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
It is possible I guess. Where there are people there are sinners. I'm just not aware of it happening in Protestant churches since I don't belong to any.
You might not belong to any church, but you are protestant.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#415767 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Period.
They are so full of crap it comes out their fingers.

Myth 1: A person can buy his way out of hell with indulgences.

This charge is without foundation. Since indulgences remit only temporal penalties, they cannot remit the eternal penalty of hell. Once a person is in hell, no amount of indulgences will ever change that fact. The only way to avoid hell is by appealing to God’s eternal mercy while still alive. After death, one’s eternal fate is set (Heb. 9:27).

Myth 2: A person can buy indulgences for sins not yet committed.

The Church has always taught that indulgences do not apply to sins not yet committed. The Catholic Encyclopedia notes, "[An indulgence] is not a permission to commit sin, nor a pardon of future sin; neither could be granted by any power."

Myth 3: A person can "buy forgiveness" with indulgences.

The definition of indulgences presupposes that forgiveness has already taken place: "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven" (Indulgentarium Doctrina 1, emphasis added). Indulgences in no way forgive sins. They deal only with punishments left after sins have been forgiven.

Myth 4: Indulgences were invented as a means for the Church to raise money.
Indulgences developed from reflection on the sacrament of reconciliation. They are a way of shortening the penance of sacramental discipline and were in use centuries before money-related problems appeared.

Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.

The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.

Myth 6: A person can buy indulgences.

The Council of Trent instituted severe reforms in the practice of granting indulgences, and, because of prior abuses, "in 1567 Pope Pius V canceled all grants of indulgences involving any fees or other financial transactions" (Catholic Encyclopedia). This act proved the Church’s seriousness about removing abuses from indulgences.

Myth 7: A person used to be able to buy indulgences.

One never could "buy" indulgences. The financial scandal surrounding indulgences, the scandal that gave Martin Luther an excuse for his heterodoxy, involved alms—indulgences in which the giving of alms to some charitable fund or foundation was used as the occasion to grant the indulgence. There was no outright selling of indulgences. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "[I]t is easy to see how abuses crept in. Among the good works which might be encouraged by being made the condition of an indulgence, almsgiving would naturally hold a conspicuous place.... It is well to observe that in these purposes there is nothing essentially evil. To give money to God or to the poor is a praiseworthy act, and, when it is done from right motives, it will surely not go unrewarded."

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-in...
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415769 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
You might not belong to any church, but you are protestant.
I'm not. Not protesting anything but our government.
By the way did you know we are about to loose the 2nd?
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415770 Jan 14, 2013
I can smel impeachment!
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415771 Jan 14, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
They are so full of crap it comes out their fingers.
Myth 1: A person can buy his way out of hell with indulgences.
This charge is without foundation. Since indulgences remit only temporal penalties, they cannot remit the eternal penalty of hell. Once a person is in hell, no amount of indulgences will ever change that fact. The only way to avoid hell is by appealing to God’s eternal mercy while still alive. After death, one’s eternal fate is set (Heb. 9:27).
Myth 2: A person can buy indulgences for sins not yet committed.
The Church has always taught that indulgences do not apply to sins not yet committed. The Catholic Encyclopedia notes, "[An indulgence] is not a permission to commit sin, nor a pardon of future sin; neither could be granted by any power."
Myth 3: A person can "buy forgiveness" with indulgences.
The definition of indulgences presupposes that forgiveness has already taken place: "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven" (Indulgentarium Doctrina 1, emphasis added). Indulgences in no way forgive sins. They deal only with punishments left after sins have been forgiven.
Myth 4: Indulgences were invented as a means for the Church to raise money.
Indulgences developed from reflection on the sacrament of reconciliation. They are a way of shortening the penance of sacramental discipline and were in use centuries before money-related problems appeared.
Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.
The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.
Myth 6: A person can buy indulgences.
The Council of Trent instituted severe reforms in the practice of granting indulgences, and, because of prior abuses, "in 1567 Pope Pius V canceled all grants of indulgences involving any fees or other financial transactions" (Catholic Encyclopedia). This act proved the Church’s seriousness about removing abuses from indulgences.
Myth 7: A person used to be able to buy indulgences.
One never could "buy" indulgences. The financial scandal surrounding indulgences, the scandal that gave Martin Luther an excuse for his heterodoxy, involved alms—indulgences in which the giving of alms to some charitable fund or foundation was used as the occasion to grant the indulgence. There was no outright selling of indulgences. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "[I]t is easy to see how abuses crept in. Among the good works which might be encouraged by being made the condition of an indulgence, almsgiving would naturally hold a conspicuous place.... It is well to observe that in these purposes there is nothing essentially evil. To give money to God or to the poor is a praiseworthy act, and, when it is done from right motives, it will surely not go unrewarded."
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-in...
It also comes out of their mouths. You could shovel it. Gross, but there you have it. That's what comes of going out and starting your own religion and trying to pass it off as Christianity. He thought he was being cute by feeding the monkey. He got caught and now he's choking on it. But, but, but...I speak Spanish. LOL! I don't care if he speaks Martian. If they told the truth once in a while, they wouldn't have to worry about "neggies".:)
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415772 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Period.
By the way. I have no reason not to believe you that it doesn't happen here in the US.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#415773 Jan 14, 2013
I can't believe this thread is still open. It's been quite some time since I last posted here.

The RCC is still a false church.

Question for anyone of the Christian believers here that beleive in the Bible. We are told in scripture what the definition of sin is and the definition of sin is the transgression of Gods law. We are further told that where there is no law, there is no sin. Now if that be the case then,when Cain slew Abel, was it a sin? There is no evidence from scripture that God had given the Adamic race a law against killing another person.

So if God had not given them a law against killing then how is it that Cain was considered a sinner aka, a transgressor against Gods law. Remember scripture says that where there is no law then there is no sin. bUT WE HAVE NO EVIDENCE THAT gOD HAD GIVEN THEM A LAW AGAINST KILLING. SO WHY DID GOD PUNISH CAIN THEN?
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415774 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
It also comes out of their mouths. You could shovel it. Gross, but there you have it. That's what comes of going out and starting your own religion and trying to pass it off as Christianity. He thought he was being cute by feeding the monkey. He got caught and now he's choking on it. But, but, but...I speak Spanish. LOL! I don't care if he speaks Martian. If they told the truth once in a while, they wouldn't have to worry about "neggies".:)
I do not lie.
You sound very childish and angry.
ReginaM

Lakehurst, NJ

#415775 Jan 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way. I have no reason not to believe you that it doesn't happen here in the US.
Why don't you give me the name of the country, diocese, and parish and I'll contact the Bishop. That should settle it once and for all, right down to the dollar amount, yes?
roneeey946

Gwalior, India

#415778 Jan 14, 2013
hi..........
It also comes out of their mouths. You could shovel it. Gross, but there you have it. That's what comes of going out and starting your own religion and trying to pass it off as Christianity. He thought he was being cute by feeding the monkey. He got caught and now he's choking on it. But, but, but...I speak Spanish. LOL! I don't care if he speaks Martian. If they told the truth once in a while, they wouldn't have to worry about "neggies".:).......

[url=http://www.alladsclassifi ed.com] classified website [/url]
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#415779 Jan 14, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you give me the name of the country, diocese, and parish and I'll contact the Bishop. That should settle it once and for all, right down to the dollar amount, yes?
Act like an adult. I have no mocked you for what you say to me or others. Show respect.
Here's the link with all the names
http://www.gcatholic.com/dioceses/diocese/mon...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Doctor Trump 26,953
Most likely scenario in Mayweather - McGregor f... 16 min Doctor REALITY 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min arrr 985,731
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 50 min Siva 8,524
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Here For Now 619,751
Anyone know nicole horne that works at family d... 6 hr Downlowinfo42069 4
Snitxh 10 hr Downlowinfo42069 1
More from around the web