Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599344 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

United States

#414950 Jan 12, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Now Clay what does the Bible say about statues? Why so many statues of Mary?
It depends what verse you read.(and what you want to see of it)

Bottom line: you guys teach that God is jealous of a depiction of Mary holding His Son.
For that, you throw all reason and logic out the window.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#414951 Jan 12, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
No loving God would divide us up into groups and those born by CHANCE into one belief be given the keys to the kingdom of heaven and those born by chance into some other belief left behind.
Makes no common sense.
Why would any God relegate IMPERFECT beings to an eternity of hell, simply because they viewed their options differently than you.
If God's purpose was to create humanity to live for millions of years, with millions who suffer often through no fault of their own then die and be divided up with some going to heaven and the rest to hell.
If God was really interested in souls making it to heaven, wouldn;t it have been a lot easier to create what he wanted and placed them in heaven when he wanted instead of this many million year long crusade of a game that has much pain, suffering, and agony for many just trying to make it through this life?
makes no common sense.....
Every large religion past and present has their books (bibles) of what they claim to be the KEY that everyone is searching for.
Remember all the NT writers were Jewish and their stories in the NT was about jewish life. For them to embrace a new religion coming called christianity would make all the jewish NT writers heretics in their own jewish belief at the time they SUPPOSEDLY wrote these works.
makes no common sense.
What makes no sense to me Michael,is God the Father sending his Son to live,suffer,crucified,died,and resurrected for what? If that does not come clear as to why God would send Jesus to do this,than all religion makes no sense anyway. Common sense is not always what we think,it is only common sense, that Jesus should be recognized in some way IF in fact He lived,suffered,crucifed,died,w as buried and rose again to the Glroy of His Father in Heaven.Other wise all the common sense in the world does not mean a hill of beans in light of His being what the Scriptures say,and for this many centuries we humans through faith and living proof of our lives continue to witness of His great glory.

You will never be able to get that story of the Living God,and His dear Son out of the mind of consciousness of this world,it is here to stay,and it will not die.Thousands,literally millions have died to venerate with their lives the Lord Jesus,and His claims of being the Only begotten of the Father.

Martyrs are even as we type here.In many countries people are facing torture and death for believing in Jesus,reading His Word,and teaching their children about the Love of the Father.Their blood spilt,is either in vain or it is not? I cannot deny Him,and common sense tells me to place my hope and trust in Him who gave Himself for me.It is idiocy for me to reject Him,for what? Nothing! Opinions? Atheistic rhetoric that leads to nowhere? I have peace of mind,you claim you do,but yet you are on here every day to try and prove to me apparently I lack common sense and do not have peace of mind believing in Him who gave all for me,but someday I will be with Him and see Him as He really is. I have much to look forward to.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#414952 Jan 12, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, I'd suggest you stop answering them. They're attention junkies. Every time someone replies to them, it releases dopamine in their tiny little brain and they get a rush like an addict. Mikey starts yapping and nipping at ankles, and that other thing starts braying at the top of its lungs...lol! Just scroll past their posts, most people do.
The Catholic Church is the biggest threat to militant atheists because she speaks out the loudest against their agendas. She keeps God in the public eye, and they want Him removed. They're not as threatened by the fundies because they're too scattered, splintered, fractured to make a difference. They're never the first to speak out, but usually follow in the Church's footsteps. So, of course, the Church is their prime target. Nevertheless, if you go to one of the fundie threads here, you'll see them do the same thing, maybe worse.
I wouldn't worry about Heckle and Jeckle if I were you. Dan and Anthony wiped the floor with them, so they're having a hissy fit. Just talk around them; have discussions with other people. IOW, ignore them...like everybody else does.
LAUGHING OUTLOUD!!

How many times have you stated that in the past? Maybe 20?? Don't post to them she says.

We bring factual stories about priests/bishops, we post their names including their parishes who have done terrible things. But instead of you saying thankyou Michael for telling us, you standby them and bad talk us for telling these stories that you should know about.

Makes no common sense!

We might disagree on theology, but that is no reason to be so self righteous and hateful of others. God would not approve of such a thing.

.... Sooner or later you will again! post back to us, because deep down you REALLY do, like us.

ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#414953 Jan 12, 2013
Preston wrote:
<quoted text>glad that you told clay that, I started to tell him the same thing.
good advice
Hey, Preston!

Even Charles, who's no friend of the Catholics, blows those two off. Anyone who's got a clue does.

I thought you were going to post a pic of your son last night?
Preston

Waverly, OH

#414954 Jan 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Good advice. I will take it.
green checkmark.

dont let them run you off. you are a nice guy and i enjoy arguing(debating) with you.
Clay

United States

#414955 Jan 12, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Correct me if I'm wrong why are there hail Mary pra yers? No one should be praying to Mary. I'm sure you've also seen candles with Mary's face on it. How do you think God feels about worshiping his creations instead of the creator?
While I certainly could understand how someone could look at us and think we're worshiping a statue. I mean, if I walked into a Catholic Church for the first time, that's probably what I would think too.
The responsible thing to do is ask them what they're doing.

All we Catholics would like is for people to hate us for what we actually believe, instead of what they THINK we believe.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#414956 Jan 12, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>What makes no sense to me Michael,is God the Father sending his Son to live,suffer,crucified,diedcont inue to witness of His great glory.
You will never be able to get that story of hildren about the Love of the Father.Their blood spilt,is either in vain or it is not? I cannot deny Him,and common sense tells me to place my hope and trust in Him who gave Himself for me.It is idiocy for me to reject Him,for what? Nothing! Opinions? Atheistic rhetoric that leads to nowhere? I have peace of mind,you claim you do,but yet you are on here every day to try and prove to me apparently I lack common sense and do not have peace of mind believing in Him who gave all for me,but someday I will be with Him and see Him as He really is. I have much to look forward to.
edited for space......

Think for a minute about the story you are talking about.

In our world we would never sacrifice our child over ourselves in such a scenario.

God sends his son down to die for our sins, and in order for this to happen he has to become a heretic in his own religion, piss off his church leaders SO BADLY that they want him dead. Scriptures claim that a small crowd determine his fate and they have a choice. JESUS or BARABAS. If the crowd used their own free will and screamed BARABAS instead, how would this whole scenario have ever panned out.

For the past 2000 years there has been controversy of who actually killed this man. The pope recently said the jews are not responsible for his death. Shouldn't we CLEARY know who is responsible for someone who claimed to be the son of God of who ordered his death?

Historians will tell you during this era there were many men who claimed to be the messiah, the son of God. How could so many others claim to have the same element of who they were. The son of God. Throughout history many beliefs that came long before christianity had trinitys, sacrificial meals, baptisms, concepts of heaven and hell and those that too claimed to offer eternal salvation if you believed in them. Did christianity plagurize most of the customs/traditions from man gods that lived a 1,000 years before?

makes no common sense....that a man comes along, claims he is the son of God, performs miracles, has customs/traditions and all of these were not UNIQUE to christianity or Jesus but practiced by others who lived and died centuries before.

makes no common sense..

Clay

United States

#414957 Jan 12, 2013
@Pad

Pad, I pray there are borderline Catholics out there that will see your false witness testimony and come back to the faith.
That's the only reason why I never continued down the evangelical route. I was willing to join y'all yrs ago. I WANTED to join ya. Catholic Mass was too boring...
But the reality was, you guys only exist because you spread falsehoods about Catholicism. I saw it when they told me all about Catholics 'worshipping Mary'. Well, I knew that wasn't true cuz I grew up Catholic. So that was the red flag I needed to see to realize you people were using deception to get me to convert. That was to Satanlike for me.
Clay

United States

#414958 Jan 12, 2013
Preston wrote:
<quoted text>glad that you told clay that, I started to tell him the same thing.
good advice
Yeah, I knew better too. Oh well, life goes on.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#414959 Jan 12, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Aviela good friend
By what you write,(correct me if I am wrong), that Jehovah is outside of Creation, and that Jesus is the first part of Creation.( I am not clear on if you believe Jehovah and/or Jesus made/created the heavens and the earth.)
If this is the case, then is humanity made in the image of Jehovah, or Jesus, or both?
Neither, it is a silly myth.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#414960 Jan 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
While I certainly could understand how someone could look at us and think we're worshiping a statue. I mean, if I walked into a Catholic Church for the first time, that's probably what I would think too.
The responsible thing to do is ask them what they're doing.
All we Catholics would like is for people to hate us for what we actually believe, instead of what they THINK we believe.
If I walked into a catholic church and an old italian or German lady was there and I asked if they prayed TO! THE VIRGIN MARY they would say YES!

You have engrained in your mind an image of Jesus, Mary and some of the saints as to what they appear to you. If I cut a picture out of a magazine and said to you this is your father you would call me a liar, and if I showed you a picture of a short balding man with a hunchback and said to you look at my picture of Jesus you would call me a LIAR and blasphemer.

Its all engrained in your mind.....the church has brainwashed your thinking and the images of you believe, and in reality what doesn't really exist.
Aviela

Los Angeles, CA

#414961 Jan 12, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a bunch of us that are ex catholics or former catholics on here. Myself, FREE MIND, Jethro, NASL and one or two others.
Organized religion is the great divide or wedge in our world. Its too bad religion has created so much hatred. The hatred is witnessed everyday on this forum.
"Can't we just all get along"

~Rodney King~
Aviela

Los Angeles, CA

#414962 Jan 12, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither, it is a silly myth.
hello

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#414963 Jan 12, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Preston!
Even Charles, who's no friend of the Catholics, blows those two off. Anyone who's got a clue does.
I thought you were going to post a pic of your son last night?
I did, but for some reason, my computer keeps deleting it.so here it is again.
4GVN

Scott City, MO

#414964 Jan 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that is wrong, 4gvn, is that you're offended by a statue of Mary.
A statue of Mary is in most (if not all) Catholic Churches because she is the Queen of the Church. Christ of course, is the King.
But the fact that statues, icons, and other beautiful depictions (I assume photographs of Saints too?) offend you, is the real issue. Because that is bizarre.
for example:
You're teaching people that God is jealous of a image of Mary holding the infant Jesus..
I would say you need to re think this illogical position before YOU offend God by attempting to dictate what makes Him jealous.
Why then is all of the emphasis on Mary? Why do you not have statues of Jesus in every yard? Think Clay. Driving through Catholic neighborhoods one would rightly assume that the emphasis is on Mary. That Mary is the most important person. That Mary is the objest of worship and devotion. WHY is this the message being portrayed? Why is there an abnormal amount of sinful problems within the Catholic Church. Why was there a sex abuse cover-up? If you can't trust the church with the truth about the sex abuse, why would you believe that you could trust them with other matters? Why are catholic priests dieing of aids at a rate of 4 times higher than the average public.(And they take VOWS of celibacy.)
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#414965 Jan 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I did, but for some reason, my computer keeps deleting it.so here it is again.
Good looking boy, he's cute! I wish him all the best, Preston. I'll bet Cathie's excited about going to China.
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#414966 Jan 12, 2013
Deuteronomy 6:4

King James Version (KJV)

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord

CONT
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#414967 Jan 12, 2013
As the "straw man" metaphor suggests, the counterfeit position attacked in a Straw Man argument is typically weaker than the opponent's actual position, just as a straw man is easier to defeat than a flesh-and-blood one. Of course, this is no accident, but is part of what makes the fallacy tempting to commit, especially to a desperate debater who is losing an argument. Thus, it is no surprise that arguers seldom misstate their opponent's position so as to make it stronger. Of course, if there is an obvious way to make a debating opponent's position stronger, then one is up against an incompetent debater. Debaters usually try to take the strongest position they can, so that any change is likely to be for the worse. However, attacking a logically stronger position than that taken by the opponent is a sign of strength, whereas attacking a straw man is a sign of weakness.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#414968 Jan 12, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Hello Robert, and good morning to you. I must beging by saying thanks for being respectul and kind to me even though we think different:)
Well to answer your question according to the scriptures Jehovah doesn't have a beginning or end. He created Jesus. Jehovah and Jesus then created all things except Jehovah. He's always been. Jesus is Jehovah's first born his favorite out of all the angels. In the book of Hebrews it speaks how Jehovah feels about Jesus how he loves him, how Jesus is better than the angels Read Hebrews 1:5 here is one of the scriptures where Jehovah is expressing his love for Jesus his son.
Aviela good friend

I believe I understand you.

I was wondering, when you write Jehovah is without beginning or end, to what does this refer? Does that mean that Jehovah exists outside of time? If Jehovah is outside of time then is Jehovah outside of space as well? To my understanding the answer is yes. But I will respect your answer if it is expressed in a different way, or if there is another meaning....

I understand that JCWs believe that Jesus is an angel, and wisdom..., but I forget, there is a third aspect of Jesus which is not "trinitarian" which is fundamentally part of the whole beliefs on Jesus....Is this true?

But in my prior post I was trying to understand the relationship of Jehovah/Jesus/humanity, with respect to Creation....That is being created in God's Image....Is there a sort of progression of Jehovah made Jesus, and they together formed man into their image?

(I will have to wait for this answer. I am about to go to a wedding, which will be taking up the rest of the day for me. So I would appreciate a reply I could get to tomorrow....)
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#414969 Jan 12, 2013
CONT:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!(Deuteronomy 6:4) We also know that the Bible gives attributes of deity to God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit of God. We also know that there are not three GodÂ’s, they are One.
Old Testament Passages
Isaiah 7:14-"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel" (Immanuel literally means "God with us").
Isaiah 9:6-"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end...."
Jeremiah 23:5-6-"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS." Christ's name in Hebrew is YHWH Tsidkenu, Jehovah Our Righteousness.
Micah 5:2-"But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Christ has always existed because He is not a created being; He is God Almighty who has existed from everlasting.
Malachi 3:1-2-"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap." God's temple is Christ's temple. Christ comes as an all-powerful judge.
Psalm 45:1, 6-7-"I speak of the things which I have made touching the king.... Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee...." The Hebrew word translated "anointed" is the verb form of the noun "Messiah."
Psalm 110:1-3-"The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power...." The LORD (Jehovah) will subdue all Christ's enemies. Yet Christ's rod and Christ's power will subdue all enemies. Christ's rule and power are clearly equal to God's. See Psalm 2 where a similar theme is discussed: "Serve the LORD [Jehovah] with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way..." (vv. 11-12). Note how "the Son" is set poetically in parallel with "Jehovah."
CONT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min It aint necessari... 863,716
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 10 min curtjester1 40,849
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 14 min Great Day of Arma... 612,891
The Christian Atheist debate 16 min Verde Building So... 1,908
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 22 min dollarsbill 6,355
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 2,766
Black people are more evolved then white people? (May '13) 2 hr Johnny 117
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Charlie Sheen 272,400
More from around the web