Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 673420 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#414335 Jan 9, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan.......right.
I am sure if a layperson went into the confessional told the priest he stole a bicycle and was sorry for doing so. The priest would instruct him that his sin cannot be forgiven until he rightfully returns the bike to the owner expressing he is sorry.
If a priest who molested a child went to confession and told the priest hearing his confession he had buggered a 12 year old boy, shouldn't the confessional priest should rightfully instruct the other priest that a crime has been committed and that he should turn himself into police so the criminal case can be solved and justice served even if that means going to jail?
If a layman came into the confessional told a priest he shot and killed someone, wouldn't the confessional priest instruct this man to turn himself into authorities, so the rightful killer could be found, or would the priest say.....just say 5 hail marys and 3 our fathers for your penance?
There has to be justice for serious crimes, not just popping into the confessional when sins stack up.......say your penance and leave.
I am sure if you were the parent of one of these child victims, you would want justice served? Just as I would.
I am sure many conversations were had amongs clergy regarding a rouge priest in their parish/diocese. If covering up his crime is what they did, than why would I trust the church to ever do the right thing?.........
The right thing..... Be responsible for your actions.
Wrong. A priest will not and cannot make absolution conditional on you turning yourself in. If he did people wouldn't confess their sins.

You really don't know what confession is do you Mike?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#414336 Jan 9, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. A priest will not and cannot make absolution conditional on you turning yourself in. If he did people wouldn't confess their sins.
You really don't know what confession is do you Mike?
Anthony-

Michael says he's "sure" of this, "sure" of that, even after I gave him the Form of Confession twice, neither instance making absolution conditional.

As I stated earlier, he claims his own facts for "sure".
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#414337 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I responded.
Do you regard the automobile as a complete failure as an invention since a few of them were unreliable?
First, no one claims any automobile was or is perfect.

Second, no one (or at least not me) claims the RCC is "a complete failure" as you put it.

But for true believes like yourself, there seems to be only two extremes -- neither of which has proven realistic.

That's called "painting yourself into a corner."

Perfect teachings on morals + invoking diplomatic immunity = ABSURD.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#414338 Jan 9, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, no one (or at least not me) claims the RCC is "a complete failure" as you put it.
But for true believes like yourself, there seems to be only two extremes -- neither of which has proven realistic.
You keep banging the "diplomatic immunity" drum.

Why?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#414339 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony-
Michael says he's "sure" of this, "sure" of that, even after I gave him the Form of Confession twice, neither instance making absolution conditional.
As I stated earlier, he claims his own facts for "sure".
I know you did Dan, Mike will do anything to prolong the conversation as he lacks the attention in his home. Also note that he 'dropped out' of the Church when he was 12 or 14 so his maturity level during catechesis was at best questionable.

Glad to see you back, it's been awhile.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#414340 Jan 9, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll put it differently. You missed it.

Ford Motor Company made some cars that weren't reliable sold by salesmen who were less than candid about the car's reliability.

That being said, are you affirming that Ford Motor Company is a blighted institution for this fact? Bad from the top down?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#414341 Jan 9, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you did Dan, Mike will do anything to prolong the conversation as he lacks the attention in his home. Also note that he 'dropped out' of the Church when he was 12 or 14 so his maturity level during catechesis was at best questionable.
Glad to see you back, it's been awhile.
Yeah-been busy. Good to visit w/you.

Ex-Catholics are like atheists or ex-smokers. Their whole reason for being seems to be to get you to listen to how smart they are for having thrown the "bad habit" overboard and to pillory you for not following suit.

Tiresome.
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#414342 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions contribute to charities?
Unions contribute to themselves or to political candidates.
That's an obvious lie.

Why lie, if you have so much truth?

There can only be one reason. That's all you have.

Can you PROVE the one-true claim? Of course not. God isn't talking.

So we must do as Jesus taught and judge them by their deeds, good and bad.

And for the last 1600 years, that's exactly what we have seen -- good and bad, but nothing resembling "perfect" or worthy of being God's ONLY church.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#414343 Jan 9, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
Islam is peace -- just a few bad Muslims.
Roman Catholicism is perfect moral teachings -- just a few bad Priests.
Hello? Anyone there?
Not familiar with Islam.

If a teaching is correct, and you don't follow it and get a bad result, is it the fault of the teacher or the student?

If I ignore the Pythagorean Theorem and blow a Math test as a result, is the theorem wrong? No.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#414344 Jan 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Regina, The reality is that you don't the truth, because you have never hear it.
To believe that a priest who is a human sinful man, could possibly order Christ down from Heaven to enter a wafer and claim it is the flesh of Christ, and the wine was turned to His Blood is nieve, and would believe just about anything.
That is a ritual that your church fathers dreamed up.
Show in the scripture were this was done, BOOK, Chapter, And Verse.
At the Passover "The Last Supper" Jesus ate the bread and drank the wine Himself and passed it to the disciple common sense will tell you Jesus never ate His own flesh Nor did He drink His own blood.
LTM

A priest does not order God to do anything. That is insulting.

Jesus Christ offered/offers himself as a sacrifice in the historical past back to the eternal past(The Beginning, because God is Eternal), and in the historical past to the present into the eternal future.(The Omega, eternal future) for salvation in the Will of God, by Grace for humanity and all of Creation.

You must consider that God is with His People, according to Exodus 33, that God comes down to the tent/tabernacle, when Moses and Joshua enters, and Moses leaves the tent, and Joshua stays behind. In a sense, Joshua(a type of Jesus) stays with God(Jesus).

If you don't believe Jesus can come in the flesh, or God can come to a tent, or the Holy Spirit can be within someone,then I can see why you don't believe Jesus flesh became the bread and wine.

You need to reread Matt 25.(Its these little misunderstandings that add up to a bigger misunderstanding as to the nature of the Mass.) Jesus did not partake of the bread he broke, or wine of the everlasting covenant. Rather, they ate together the Pascal meal, then Jesus took the bread and wine and broke it and gave it to the disciples.
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#414345 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ex-Catholics are like atheists or ex-smokers. Their whole reason for being seems to be to get you to listen to how smart they are for having thrown the "bad habit" overboard and to pillory you for not following suit.
Tiresome.
If its so tiresome, then go to a Catholic forum instead of Topix.

You need complete agreement, because the "perfect" and "only" faith thing is completely full of holes. History says it's absurd.

And it's not just ex-Catholics who make the RCC a comedy club staple.

It's not ex-Catholics who caused the RCC in Germany to loose 30% of attendance since Benedict became Pope.

It's not ex-Catholics who made Ireland break diplomatic relations with the RCC.

You point fingers at all others, but have you looked in the mirror?

Holy Diplomatic Immunity!!!
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#414346 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not familiar with Islam.
If a teaching is correct, and you don't follow it and get a bad result, is it the fault of the teacher or the student?
If I ignore the Pythagorean Theorem and blow a Math test as a result, is the theorem wrong? No.
If the teacher is correct? Sure.

Was the RCC correct in covering up for thousands of abusive Priests over many decades?

If the RCC ignores its own teachings....

etc....

The only one who avoids accountability is the RCC. It's always someone else's fault. Being "perfect" in so many ways, that's how it has to be for you and the RCC.

That position cannot be defended in the real world.

I haven't heard of any teachers claiming diplomatic immunity.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#414347 Jan 9, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
You will never see a catholic ever call another catholic a liar under the same circumstances, as long as he/she is in good standing in the catholic church.
So much for balanced justice.
Looks like I fit this to a tee....

I've been called a liar by Catholics, even though I am still in good standing with the RCC.

I wonder why?

Albuquerque, NM

#414348 Jan 9, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL.....says .....Catholics see sin differently than other people.
They see it to be a guided journey, than not to do it at all.
You proved your point by the many negative judgies you received for your comment. Guranteed they were all by catholics.
:o)

More than likely those four individuals don't understand what I wrote.

Albuquerque, NM

#414349 Jan 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
Principles of Bible Authority
We must have Bible authority for everything we do in serving God.
The Bible principle
We must not participate in any practice in God's service unless we find it taught in the gospel. If God's word says to do a thing, we must do it just as He says and not change it.
Matthew 15:9 - Our worship to God is vain if it is based on human doctrines.
Galatians 1:8,9 - If we follow man-made doctrines that differ from the gospel, we are accursed.
2 John 9 - If we do not abide in the teaching of Jesus, we do not have God. To have God, we must abide in Jesus' teaching.
The Bible is a complete and perfect guide to everything God wants us to do (2 Tim. 3:16,17; John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3). We do not need to have a passage specifically forbidding us to do certain acts in order to know they are wrong. When God tells us what to practice, then it would be wrong to do something different, even if He nowhere expressly said not to do the other thing. If He says to do one thing, and we do something else, then we are following human doctrines and a different gospel, so our worship is vain and we have not God.
cont
Sounds like you would rather have "Paul", "John", and "Matthew" authorities than "God".

Why don't you believe Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

#414350 Jan 9, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
Islam is peace -- just a few bad Muslims.
Roman Catholicism is perfect moral teachings -- just a few bad Priests.
Hello? Anyone there?
I never really looked at it this way. Thank you for being so astute.
MICHAEL

Canada

#414351 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, they're non-profit, so they don't "write it off". That's what for -profit entities do for a tax deduction.
Property taxes wouldn't go down if churches weren't there. Property taxes never go down. Ever. If your premise were true, I'd have all the parks shut down. They suck up a lot more taxable land than churches.
Are you over age 18? Do you work somewhere or own a home?
(LOL)

If churches paid property taxes like all others do,(paying their fair share) than millions more DOLLARS would be sent to city coffers by the churhces covering the cities costs. Right?

If the current property tax collected to run your city is $200 Million and there are 100,000 households each one pays their rate to cover all the cities expenses.

If churches paid property taxes collectively example:$50 Million than the tax burden on taxpayers would be $50 million less than before divided up by all taxpayers. Because churches take up entire city blocks millions more would flow into city coffers, and churches would pay much more than an individual household owner on a regular lot, lightening the cost load for everyone else. Church goers would pick have to put more money in the collection plate to pay the tax bill they never had before, not everyone in the city.

Its obvious math wasn't your forte?

Do you honestly believe that if churches paid property taxes that EVRYONES property taxes wouldn't change?

UNBELIEVABLE!

Albuquerque, NM

#414352 Jan 9, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
It ALL comes from the followers.
Not all of it.

Some comes from the laundered money in the Vatican Bank!

:o)

BTW - of course Dan is "paying for other's sins".

Dan is the new RCC Savior. With all the BS he puts forth, he should haven't a problem getting his fellow Catholics to believe him.

To Dan - blasphemer and liar.

Albuquerque, NM

#414353 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep banging the "diplomatic immunity" drum.
Why?
You keep diverting - Why?

Albuquerque, NM

#414354 Jan 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tiresome.
I'm glad you admit that Catholicism is a "bad habit" and should be thrown overboard.

But may I suggest - just don't throw out the "baby" when tossing things over the side, because you will throw something out that you shouldn't have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 184,629
News Judge allows Oregon resident to be genderless 2 hr The Judge 6
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr nanoanomaly 981,409
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 hr Barking Hillary 104,837
Obama Pays Muslim Brotherhood Yearly Membership... 6 hr Godly Godlike 2
CNN: Bill Cosby past away today after long batt... (Dec '08) 6 hr What Was That 85
News Michael Jackson broke down racial barriers (Jun '09) 8 hr Mojo Hojo 1,562
More from around the web